Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Star: Pacers to sign Snap Hunter

Default Star: Pacers to sign Snap Hunter

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...TS04/607310379

Pacers' roster exceeds league limit of 15
    By Mark Montieth
    July 31, 2006

The Indiana Pacers' roster is bursting at the seams, so alterations are in order.

Not on the seams, but for what fits in them.

They will soon have 16 players under contract, one beyond the league limit, and have more wants and needs to address. They are hoping to obtain Al Harrington in a trade with Atlanta that would not send players to the Hawks. They're also hoping to add a center or power forward and perhaps a perimeter shooter.

They're armed with a $7.5 million trade exception and the mid-level exception, which would allow them to offer a contract starting at $5.2 million, but some of their changes will have to be accomplished with more trades.

Downsizing can be accomplished simply, if they choose to do so. Guard Jimmie "Snap" Hunter is scheduled to sign a contract Wednesday, but it carries only a partial guarantee of about $100,000. They also have the option of releasing Josh Powell and Rawle Marshall, two minimum-salary, one-year veteran forwards obtained in the trade with Dallas that also brought Darrell Armstrong in exchange for Anthony Johnson.

Marshall's contract becomes guaranteed for next season if he's still on the Pacers' roster after Aug. 7. Powell's becomes guaranteed if he's on the roster after Oct. 1.

The Pacers are reluctant to let them go, however. Both are young, athletic and improving, and have given indications they belong in the league.

That seems particularly true of Marshall, an exceptionally athletic 6-7 forward with long arms. He averaged 3.1 points over 23 games last season in Dallas, starting nine. He led the Mavericks' summer league team in scoring shortly before the trade to the Pacers, averaging 16 points on 44 percent shooting through five games.

The 6-9 Powell averaged 3.0 points in 37 games last season, starting two, then 6.2 points and 5.8 rebounds in summer league play. He's drawn comparisons to Udonis Haslem, a role-playing starter on Miami's championship team.

"The more I look at it, I kind of like it," CEO Donnie Walsh said of the possibility of the two staying with the team.

Something will have to give for that to happen if the Pacers acquire Harrington, but plenty of time remains to make adjustments before training camp opens in October.

Walsh, however, said he is content with his backcourt.

"I like our perimeter players now," he said. "We have a lot of them and they're all different than what we had before. They're long and athletic, and they can defend."

Jones gets fresh start

The Pacers are planning to speed up their offense next season, but that comes too late for former guard Fred Jones.

Jones, who signed a three-year, $11 million contract with Toronto as a restricted free agent, looks forward to playing in an up-tempo system with the Raptors.

"That wasn't conducive to my style," Jones told Toronto reporters when asked about the Pacers' style of play. "I have no complaints about my time in Indiana. We were a good team, I loved my teammates and we had a lot of fun. That was their system I was drafted into. This just fits my mode a lot better."

He also hopes to be free of the controversies that dogged the Pacers the past two seasons.

"Everything that was going on in the media, everything that was going on in the locker room, that dampened our spirits a little bit," he said. "To get away from that and start fresh is going to be a new feeling."

Default Re: Star: Pacers to sign Snap Hunter

I think we have another deal or two coming up that's gonna be a 3 for 1 or 2 for 1 at least.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Hmm, who's leaving?

Obviously, Donnie could be blowing smoke about the Marshall and Powle.

But, he could just as well be making up the "I like our perimeter guys" thing as well.
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

@The_Real_CJake

Kind of wish that this article would of spoke more of Snap since that's what the article was about. Guess I'll go look his stats up. Good job Star!

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Gill, Marshall, and Powle will be gone so that puts our Roster at about 12 (Pollard is still unsigned) we will be ok
    If you havin' depth problems, I feel bad for you son; I got 99 problems but a bench ain't one! - Hicks
    [/center]
    @thatguyjoe84

Just re-read it. Snap isn't going to be given a guaranteed contract. Just one throught training camp or something. I'm cool with that but I really wanna keep the Dallas guys. They could actually become something nice.

Quote Originally Posted by aero
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Gill, Marshall, and Powle will be gone so that puts our Roster at about 12 (Pollard is still unsigned) we will be ok
    Gill's not under contract.

And the way it going nobody knows who will be on the team opening day because they are obviously going to make more changes! I've been a fan since the Pacer's birth and I've never seen a off season like this one.

I'm shocked that they are going to offer Snap any kind of contract when they have so many players already under contract. Last year they wouldn't keep snap just because they didn't want to pay two players. No doubt the change has to do with being under the luxury tax instead of worrying about paying it.

Assuming we get Al and the Veep:

JO / Hulk / Edwards
    Al / Foster / Powell
    Granger / White / Williams
    Jack / Daniels / Marshall / Snap
    Tinsley / Saras / Armstrong / Greene

That's pretty full.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Plus Baston.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Quote Originally Posted by jjbjjbjjb
    They're also hoping to add a center or power forward and perhaps a perimeter shooter.
    A PF/C .wonder who that would be ? Mags is gone, Wilcox looks to be going back to the Sonics. Assuming they do not waive both Powell and Marhsall, I would think Snap and Powell and possibly waive Edwards?

As far a perimeter shooter it would most likley have to be an already signed player, not too much at all availalbe FA wise.

Why Not Us ?

Quote Originally Posted by Suaveness
    Plus Baston.
    Right. So it's

JO / Hulk / Edwards
    Al / Foster / Baston / Powell

Assuming we get back Veep, that's 18 players. Four have non-guaranteed contracts, though.

Still, a 2-for-1 would be nice.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Slade
    As far a perimeter shooter it would most likley have to be an already signed player, not too much at all availalbe FA wise.
    I still think it makes sense to trade for MoPete.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem
    Assuming we get Al and the Veep:

JO / Hulk / Edwards
    Al / Foster / Powell

That's pretty full.
    You forgot Maceo Baston too. We can't keep track of the team without a scorecard! (Grin)

Thanking about it some more it's obvious that Bird and Walsh have some trades already in mind that they think they can do or they wouldn't be signing all these guys.

That would no doubt mean that we are going to do a two for one trade. Three for one being unlikely when you consider the contracts of the guys we still have and want to trade are 5 to 7 million.

An example of a three for one we could do is Jackson, Tinsley, and Williams for Francis. (Yeah I know some wouldn't want to do that, this is an example) Isiah was interested in Williams before we drafted him. I don't remember how long we have to keep Williams before we can trade him though.

I looked it up, you can trade a draft pick 30 days after he has signed a contract. That would mean we could trade White ot Williams Aug 5 since they both signed July 6.

We have these players we haven't traded-

JO...........Both Bird and Walsh have said we aren't trading Him.
    Granger....No way. He's to good and cheap.
    Harrison...No way. Centers take time and he's coming along.
    Jackson...Most likely.
    Foster.....Only if we get a big man back.
    Tinsley....Probably not unless it was for Francis in my example.
    Saras......Was available and almost traded, not likely now but still possible.

Plus there is talk about wanting more players. Quote; "They're also hoping to add a center or power forward and perhaps a perimeter shooter."

Al, and Pollard, unless we get Edwards and keep him, and a shooter.

Now lets look at the line up again using my example.

JO / Hulk / Pollard or Edwards
    Al / Baston / Foster / Powell
    Granger / White /
    Daniels / Marshall / Snap
    Francis / Saras / Armstrong / Greene

That's 16 players without adding a shooter. Francies was just an example I was using, I don't think they will trade for him. But even if they made a three for one trade like that I don't see how they are going to get the roster down with out cutting guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen
    That's 16 players without adding a shooter. Francies was just an example I was using, I don't think they will trade for him. But even if they made a three for one trade like that I don't see how they are going to get the roster down with out cutting guys.
    I imagine we'll cut Edwards. But, like you, I'd like Pollard to get his spot.

I thought we'd heard that with the advent of the D-league, that teams would be allowed to carry 16 players.

Did that never happen?

Enjoy your time at PD!

Hall of Famers FrenchConnection's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem
    I still think it makes sense to trade for MoPete.
    You would have to think that Fred and Anthony Parker would take his spot on the Raptors, so he should be available. Although MoPete could play the 3 and they are not as loaded at that spot as they are at the 2.

I predict a Jack/Williams package to be sent away soon after Al gets here
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

Follow my twitter:

@8pts9secs

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

OMFG, another point guard!?!? There has to be another deal on the horizon. Has there ever been an NBA team that had half their roster consisting entirely of point guards (without having one that's a true consistent starter)? I know everyone is rooting for Snap because he is the underdog with such a great attitude but this is getting ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by FrenchConnection
    You would have to think that Fred and Anthony Parker would take his spot on the Raptors, so he should be available. Although MoPete could play the 3 and they are not as loaded at that spot as they are at the 2.
    He's a better 2 than 3. Surely Steven Jackson would be great in that role?

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by jjbjjbjjb
    http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...TS04/607310379

"I like our perimeter players now," he said. "We have a lot of them and they're all different than what we had before. They're long and athletic, and they can defend."
    This strikes me as really wierd. Except for swapping out AJ and Jones for MD, we have exactly the same perimeter that we had before. We have the same projected starters in Tinsley and Jackson. Maybe Tinsley is going to grow a few inches and come back lightning fast.

Quote Originally Posted by JayRedd
    I've seen that said a couple times now, and I don't get it. Bird was very high on Williams, and picked him when several other good players were on the board. If we didn't want him, why'd we pick him?

EDIT: Just saw MSA's post below mine. If we're going to trade one of our two rookies, I'd rather trade Williams than White.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Darrell Armstrong
    Maceo Baston
    Marquis Daniels
    Jeff Foster
    Eddie Gill (FA)
    Danny Granger
    Orien Greene
    David Harrison
    Stephen Jackson
    Sarunas Jasikevicius
    Rawle Marshall
    Jermaine O'Neal
    Scot Pollard (FA)
    Josh Powell
    Jamaal Tinsley
    James White
    Shawne Williams
    Al Harrington
    John Edwards
    + Snap Hunter
    - Eddie Gill (already gone)
    - Scot Pollard (back problems won't allow him to run with the new offense, so he's out)
    - Stephen Jackson (in trade)
    - James White (in trade with Jackson)
    - Josh Powell [in trade with Marshall for draft pick(s)]
    - Rawle Marshall [in trade with Powell for draft pick(s)]

+ Player (in trade of Jackson/White)

I can't see Stephen staying any more, seeing as how we have seemingly gone with Jamaal for the long run. I chose James White to package with him because of his already showing temper with referees/Adam M., however mild and/or misjudged that is. Plus, there is no real attachment to him yet. I could see Orien Greene in his place for the same reason, but I doubt we'd sign a player just to trade him...But stranger things have happened, right?

I think Donnie's feelings about Josh/Rawle are true; however, he's the CEO while Larry is the GM. Larry may not share the same feelings about those two. And, besides, someone has to go in some trade(s). Donnie is mentioning how much he likes those two players, thus keeping their trade value afloat. That's my speculation. I could also envision a Jackson/White/Josh or Rawle trade for draft picks, thereby holding onto one of the new Mavericks young guys.

Then again, I'm MSA2CF. Just tossing some ideas out there...

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrion
    This strikes me as really wierd. Except for swapping out AJ and Jones for MD, we have exactly the same perimeter that we had before. We have the same projected starters in Tinsley and Jackson. Maybe Tinsley is going to grow a few inches and come back lightning fast.
    I think he's including SF.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by JayRedd
    Early on I had the feeling White may be used as a "buffer" to add in with Jackson or Tinsley, now I think Williams could be that player.

I think White is here to stay. Very little mention of all regarding Williams lately, especially from Walsh or Bird, perhaps not but that is just my feeling as well right now.

Why Not Us ?

Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen
    You forgot Maceo Baston too. We can't keep track of the team without a scorecard! (Grin)

Thanking about it some more it's obvious that Bird and Walsh have some trades already in mind that they think they can do or they wouldn't be signing all these guys.

That would no doubt mean that we are going to do a two for one trade. Three for one being unlikely when you consider the contracts of the guys we still have and want to trade are 5 to 7 million.

An example of a three for one we could do is Jackson, Tinsley, and Williams for Francis. (Yeah I know some wouldn't want to do that, this is an example) Isiah was interested in Williams before we drafted him. I don't remember how long we have to keep Williams before we can trade him though.

I looked it up, you can trade a draft pick 30 days after he has signed a contract. That would mean we could trade White ot Williams Aug 5 since they both signed July 6.

We have these players we haven't traded-

JO...........Both Bird and Walsh have said we aren't trading Him.
    Granger....No way. He's to good and cheap.
    Harrison...No way. Centers take time and he's coming along.
    Jackson...Most likely.
    Foster.....Only if we get a big man back.
    Tinsley....Probably not unless it was for Francis in my example.
    Saras......Was available and almost traded, not likely now but still possible.

Plus there is talk about wanting more players. Quote; "They're also hoping to add a center or power forward and perhaps a perimeter shooter."

Al, and Pollard, unless we get Edwards and keep him, and a shooter.

Now lets look at the line up again using my example.

JO / Hulk / Pollard or Edwards
    Al / Baston / Foster / Powell
    Granger / White /
    Daniels / Marshall / Snap
    Francis / Saras / Armstrong / Greene

See this is my thinking, too. (see bold.) Everyone's trying to figure out our roster, but I think it's extremely premature. I am positive, management has one huge trade coming just before the season.

And what are we stocking up on?: PGs. I think PGs are the most sought after, valuable commodity out there and pretty much the coin of the realm. Look how many teams aren't established at PG. Look at the Sixers (Iverson and Ollie?), Warriors (Baron-injured as much as Tinsley-Davis, and Monta Ellis), Lakers (Smush Parker(?) and a bunch of unknowns), Kings (Bibby and a couple of weak sisters), Sonics (Rinour and Watson. That's it.) Utah (Deron and Derrick Fisher)...it goes on and on.

Some teams still have gaping holes. I know from ClutchFans forum that their fans are DYING for a PF. And look at what we have to offer. Same thing with Utah. I think we're setting ourselves very nicely to offer Stephen Jackson + promising guys. At least, I hope that's what happens.
    Hey! What're you kicking me for? You want me to ask? All right, I'll ask! Ma'am, where do the high school girls hang out in this town?