Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Article on D.A. & some interesting quotes from DW: Pacers almost traded Saras

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Article on D.A. & some interesting quotes from DW: Pacers almost traded Saras

I'm very surprised he revealed that he almost traded Sarunas. That's a very un-Walsh thing to say.

Default Re: Article on D.A. & some interesting quotes from DW: Pacers almost traded Saras

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdStrike
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yeah, Larry Brown would be perfect for a team full of young talent. Not! If there's a year to be lottery bound though, '07 wouldn't be so bad at all. That said, I don't see any way the Pacers miss the playoffs.
    If the Pacers just miss the playoffs, it still isn't good news. The first four teams to miss the playoffs, i.e., Nos. 11-14 in the lottery, each have less than a 1% chance of landing the first pick and less than a 3% chance at one of the top three picks.

To get even as good as a 5% chance at Oden, the Pacers would have to be among the six worst teams in the league, i.e., they'd have to be worse than 24 other teams. Anyone think that's going to happen?

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NBA_Draft_Lottery

streets ahead

i would have been surprised if they traded sarunas, just because of the hype and investment for him.

no way with Larry Brown. i say if he does coach again, he'll go to charlotte. it has a similar 'career closing full circle' theme that the Knicks had (given brown played at UNC and his first coaching job i believe was with Davidson. plus with jordan in the front office, the bobcats are probably going to start actually spending some money (gerald wallace is the highest paid at 5+ million a year...their big off-season acquisition: Othella Harrington) and the bobcats have young talent BUT the young talent they have don't really have histories of being trouble-makers.

brown would inherit a team with young talent like: Emeka Okafur, Sean May, Adam Morrison, Alan Anderson (didn't play a significant role last year but he's from the four-year school of IZZO and i think could really blossom under brown).

on the whole, he would be coaching a team with a lot of defensive talent and potential (a major brown requirement) and a lot of speed. offense needs improvement but larry isn't as picky about that. seems like a much better fit than a team needing an attitude adjustment with a number of veterans usually more interested in complaining than playing, say, defense.

~~~~

as far as the lottery... we're not bad enough to be a lottery team. we're not guarenteed to not make the playoffs (we did it last year with an unstellar record). but we certainly don't go far and are nowhere near a championship.

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth
    JayRedd, perhaps you missed Walsh's trade window press conference. He said almost these exact same things.

Wasn't happy with last year. Can't settle for just playoffs anymore. Looked at the Peja numbers and with Granger in the picture they didn't want to lock up the payroll and the SF position for 5-6 years.

If you liked this stuff and didn't watch the presser yet, jump over to Pacers.com where I think they still have it. About 20 minutes and all as good as those comments (in terms of indicating their attitude about things).
    Didn't see that one...I'll look for it.

Thanks.
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

Follow my twitter:

@8pts9secs

An awful lot of "I" in that team.

Is Larry doing anything?
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem
    An awful lot of "I" in that team.

Is Larry doing anything?
    Long, lean, interchangable players sounds like a Walsh plan. Maybe that's really Bird's vision and DW got the idea from Bird back in 99 (when I first remember Walsh becoming publically enamored with the idea)... or maybe that's been his own dream all along and he's taking the reins.

Hopefully Bird buys into it too and is what he wants... or else we're just wasting another year of what should be the next phase of the Pacers and should be Bird's team (vision).

....Or when Walsh retires (which is rumored to be sooner rather than later) do we hire a new GM and let Bird continue in an ornamental capacity as 'President'?

-Bball
    O'Brien has been fired! Yay! What took so long?

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Wasn't this really Isiah's original idea Bball? As I recall it, he wanted to have long interchangable players.
    "Sometimes, when you look Andy in the eyes, you get a feeling somebody else is driving." -- David Letterman

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Article on D. Armstrong out of Orlando

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Slade
    Yeah too bad we haven't improved as much as the Wizards in the offseason
    Wiz - lost no one of signifigance, added OP, Songaila, Blatche will improve signifigantly, and will re sign JJ.

Pacers - traded Croshere for Daniels, added Flight and Shawne, traded AJ for Armstrong and 2 players who will not make the roster, are banking everything on adding Al, lost Jones, lost Gill (I was on the bandwagon) lost Peja, am I missing something here?

Luckily we had everyone healthy to make the playoffs last year
    not sure what u mean here
    STARBURY

08 and Beyond

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by redwillow
    Dude, I gaurenSheed it.
    Dude - STOP, I'm gonna die.
    STARBURY

08 and Beyond

Quote Originally Posted by Kaufman
    Wasn't this really Isiah's original idea Bball? As I recall it, he wanted to have long interchangable players.
    IIRC the idea was already in place (and if Bender was the first step in this then that was certainly before Isiah) before Isiah was hired. I think Isiah just followed the company line.

Has he done anything (or said anything) similar since he was exiled to New York?

-Bball

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

You may not have lost anyone, but if you guys seriously match the offer the Knicks gave Jeffries you lose.

As for comparing the Pacers to the Wizards, its a moot point as far as I am concerned. The Wizards have done some very impressive things (and I am truly happy that my hometown can stop being the laughing stock of the NBA and NFL) but the Pacers have gone through arguably the wrost event in NBA history and also have not had a healthy roster in going on 3 years.

To compare the two is the equivalent of comparing apples and oranges.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by vapacersfan
    You may not have lost anyone, but if you guys seriously match the offer the Knicks gave Jeffries you lose.
    why is that? he was an intricate part of our team and this signing wouldn't put us above the LT. I don't see the problem.

As for comparing the Pacers to the Wizards, its a moot point as far as I am concerned. The Wizards have done some very impressive things (and I am truly happy that my hometown can stop being the laughing stock of the NBA and NFL) but the Pacers have gone through arguably the wrost event in NBA history and also have not had a healthy roster in going on 3 years.

To compare the two is the equivalent of comparing apples and oranges.
    I would agree with this, but i feel like 3 years is enuff pity time.

STARBURY

08 and Beyond

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Robertmto
    why is that? he was an intricate part of our team and this signing wouldn't put us above the LT. I don't see the problem.
    Are you serious? I live JJ, but he is getting overpaid. If we pick up another big name player (not sure what next years FA class looks like) I can already see the financial dimema.

I would agree with this, but i feel like 3 years is enuff pity time.

I dont care about the pity, just dont try to brag about your team having a better record then us considering we were about as stable as a drunken sailor. Thats like bragging you beat a Toyota Prius while riding in a Ferrari Spider

Quote Originally Posted by Bball
    IIRC the idea was already in place (and if Bender was the first step in this then that was certainly before Isiah) before Isiah was hired. I think Isiah just followed the company line.

Has he done anything (or said anything) similar since he was exiled to New York?

-Bball
    It appears that Isiah has had some form of brain damage since moving to New York. I think that the damage probably started when he got hired in Toronto.

Bball, what is your avatar? I've always wondered. A stadium or amphitheatre of some sort obviously?
    "Sometimes, when you look Andy in the eyes, you get a feeling somebody else is driving." -- David Letterman

Wiz - lost no one of signifigance, added OP, Songaila, Blatche will improve signifigantly, and will re sign JJ.
    Tells us when your team adds some defense...
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Quote Originally Posted by Kaufman

Bball, what is your avatar? I've always wondered. A stadium or amphitheatre of some sort obviously?
    It's an amphitheatre at an area park.

In pic is some of my equip at setup time. Mixing console is in the foreground, stage area in background.

-Bball

------

-John Wooden

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by vapacersfan
    Are you serious? I live JJ, but he is getting overpaid. If we pick up another big name player (not sure what next years FA class looks like) I can already see the financial dimema.
    Butler, Ramos, Ruffin, Booth, Blatch, and Taylor can all coem off the books next year and only Blatch and Butler should be resigned.

Thats 12 mill+ off the books, plus the MLE, LLE and the raised cap.

Only Butler and Blatche will need resigned
    STARBURY

08 and Beyond

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood
    Tells us when your team adds some defense...
    What is Songaila? Swiss Cheese?
    STARBURY

08 and Beyond

You think Songalia is going to ever slow down Lebron with the game on the line?

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Pacersfan46
    You think Songalia is going to ever slow down Lebron with the game on the line?
    Stop him - no.

Slow him down - yes. He can block shots and help fill the lane.
    STARBURY

08 and Beyond

woman without a team

I'm not a big fan of Swiss Cheese, but I always liked Songaila. I miss him already.

Stop him - no.

Slow him down - yes. He can block shots and help fill the lane.
    Good luck with that. Hah

You're kidding yourself. Songalia and his whopping .3 blocks per game in 21 minutes per game.

He's a regular Ben Wallace!

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by grace
    I'm not a big fan of Swiss Cheese, but I always liked Songaila. I miss him already.
    Grace, you;ve seen him more than me. Can he really help out?

Also why did the Bulls let him go? I know they added Wallace and Brown. But y not resign Darius and release Schensher?
    STARBURY

08 and Beyond

woman without a team

Also why did the Bulls let him go? I know they added Wallace and Brown. But y not resign Darius and release Schensher?
    I think you answered your own question. As for why the hell Schenscher is still there you'll have to ask Pax.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by grace
    I think you answered your own question. As for why the hell Schenscher is still there you'll have to ask Pax.
    ok i'll do that
    STARBURY

08 and Beyond