Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pippen vs. Granger

redwillow

Default Pippen vs. Granger

Lets see what the rookie stats of both players have to say about it.

Granger:
    G GS MPG FG% 3P% FT% OFF DEF RPG APG SPG BPG TO PF PPG
    78 17 22.6 .462 .323 .777 1.7 3.2 4.9 1.2 .74 .79 1.03 2.7 7.5
    Pippen:
    G GS MPG FG% 3P% FT% OFF DEF RPG APG SPG BPG TO PF PPG
    79 0 20.9 .463 .174 .576 1.5 2.3 3.8 2.1 1.15 .66 1.66 2.7 7.9
    Pippen's Soph. season:
    73 56 33.1 .476 .273 .668 1.9 4.2 6.1 3.5 1.90 .84 2.73 3.6 14.4

Stats were found at NBA.com

It seems Danny is worthy of the comparison based on stats. I would like to see Danny's sophmore stat line before I would say for sure though.

Default Re: Pippen vs. Granger

I think Danny will put up a similar sophomore stat line next year. I don't think he'll blossom into being one of the greatest small forwards of all-time, though. (like pippen)
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Jay Ohh

Danny will probably put up around 10-15 points and 4-6 rebounds if he starts next year.

That's cool how close the numbers are. I expect Danny to get around 15 pts., 7 boards.

Pretty interesting, but who knows how he will develop? I expect 12-14ppg and 7-8 boards this coming season. No way to guess what happens later.

Just remember Pippen would have been the franchise player on just about any other team in his day. If Granger some how does blossom into that much of a talent. Get him a supporting cast.

I mean seriously if he had been born 10 years earlier or later he would not be known as a sidekick.

Pippen was a great complementary player. But that's all he was. He was never the same without MJ.

If you want Danny to become Pippen, then we need to figure out how to get an MJ.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Pippen was a great complementary player. But that's all he was. He was never the same without MJ.
    No way, he had his best season as a pro without MJ - putting up 22-9-6-3-1. That does not sound like a complementary player.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Here's a short piece (written by Ron Jumper?) about Pippen and Michael, a subject i'd rather not ever discuss again...MJ is overrated, Pippen is underrated...let's leave it at that...

http://www.sportsoverload.com/cgi-bi...num=1152488265

I think Granger has great potential...I just hope he is able to live up to that potential before Jermaine gets too old

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

If you want Danny to become Pippen, then we need to figure out how to get an MJ.

Like Soup said, Pip's best season was in 1993-1994 when MJ was out the entire season. He led the Bulls to game 7 in the semis against the Knicks(who went to the finals that year). He led the Bulls to a 55-27 record that year without Jordan. Not bad for someone who you're calling a "great complementary player."

Pip averaged 22 pts, over 8 bds, over 5 dimes, and almost 3 steals that year, hence why he is commonly referred to as one of the greatest all around players in history.

I think you're judging Pippen by his Houston and Portland years, which by then, he was an old player on the downslope of his career.

In his prime, he was a consistant top 10 (if not better) player.

I think it is the other way around, MJ was never the same without Pippen. Look at the stats when Pippen was out during MJ's carreer. Pippen was just as big as factor as MJ was during the Bulls days.

Sophmore slump.... dont expect too much from the young man... too much hype might hurt his development.... comparing him to Pippen? its just numbers, Pip did so much more than his numbers.... If Granger puts up similar numbers to last year now everyone in the league knows who he is, I wouldnt be too upset.... the comparison can only be a good sign though... have I just contradicted myself?

When you look at prospects in any sport, it's always good to look at their style of play and use player comparisons to come up the possibilities for the guy's:

1) Absolute Ceiling (player he has a less than 5% chance to equal)
    2) Expected (probable player his career will resemble)
    3) Worst Case (what happens if he's a bust)

Right now, I'd put Danny at:

Ceiling: Scottie Pippen
    Expected: Kendall Gill
    Worst Case: Adrian Griffin

My guess is he ends up being better than Kendall Gill, though, and of course, no where near Pippen. But I think he can be a Top 5 SF in the NBA by the time he reaches his prime. And I think Granger, Josh Howard and Luol Deng are the three young SFs in this League that can still be considered to have a "Pippen-esque" ceiling, based on raw talent and their "do everything" style of play.

When it's all said and done, I think he'll end up right there around Michael Cooper territory.
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

Follow my twitter:

@8pts9secs

The dude was one of the top 50 players in History IIRC. Plus as many have stated his best stats were when MJ was out an entire season. His problem was he didn't have a real sidekick that year. If he had they could have won it all I feel.

Quote Originally Posted by Destined4Greatness
    The dude was one of the top 50 players in History IIRC. Plus as many have stated his best stats were when MJ was out an entire season. His problem was he didn't have a real sidekick that year. If he had they could have won it all I feel.
    yeah theres no such thing as a championship one man team... when Jordan left Pippen had nobody to help out... it was just pippen nobody else.. I'm not comparing Pippen to MJ but I am saying that Granger being Pippen is asking for too much if he does end up being pippen i think trading JO would be a must in order to get him a supporting cast

Everyone has a different opinion on this because it is so subjective.

My take is that Pippen was a little better than Paul Pierce. Much better defense, not quite as potent on offense. Great physical specimen. Very talented. Maybe top 50 of all time, so he was a great player.

...but I know this. MJ would have won championships with any other top player you paired him with. Unless you watched MJ for hundreds of games, you are no judge. MJ is the best player I have ever seen, including King James and DWade...at least for now. He controlled games like no other player I have seen. Pippen isn't even close to that level and would be a virtual unknown if he had not been MJ's sidekick. Great player, yes...but sidekick when compared to the great one.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold
    Everyone has a different opinion on this because it is so subjective.

My take is that Pippen was a little better than Paul Pierce. Much better defense, not quite as potent on offense. Great physical specimen. Very talented. Maybe top 50 of all time, so he was a great player.

...but I know this. MJ would have won championships with any other top player you paired him with. Unless you watched MJ for hundreds of games, you are no judge. MJ is the best player I have ever seen, including King James and DWade...at least for now. He controlled games like no other player I have seen. Pippen isn't even close to that level and would be a virtual unknown if he had not been MJ's sidekick. Great player, yes...but sidekick when compared to the great one.

Pippen was a lot more than MJ's sidekick. Just like it was "Shaq and Kobe," it was "Michael and Scottie." No, Pip wasn't Michael, but no one was. Pip could've been a franchise player by himself, though. Like any great team, you can't have just one superstar, you have to have two it seems. The Bulls had Michael and Scottie, then a bunch of guys that knew their roles.

To say Scottie would be a 'virtual unknown' is plain wrong. To say Scottie wouldn't have been the same without Michael is obvious. But, Michael wouldn't have been the same without Scottie either.

----

As for Granger: To compare him to Scottie is setting the bar pretty high. If that's what we get, he's more than just "The Gift." This will be his second season, so, it's hard to imagine he'll be given the "Next Scottie Pippen" tag yet. Although, if he starts all year, I think the league will have to recognize him as a force.
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

@The_Real_CJake

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

In all honestly MJ wasn't bad in DC - In his last year (40 years old mind you) he averaged 20 points, 6 boards and 4 assists. VERY good all around numbers. The year befoe that he averaged 23 points, 6 boards and 5 assists. Can Kobe, Wade, Melo, Arenas, JO, Granger, Al, Jamison, Butler, Peja, Maggete, Iverson, CP3, Hinrich, T Mac, Marion, Dirk, Diaw, Nash etc etc etc do that today??

Honestly, I doubt these players will do that nowadays, let alone in 10-15 years
    STARBURY

08 and Beyond

Quote Originally Posted by Robertmto
    In all honestly MJ wasn't bad in DC - In his last year (40 years old mind you) he averaged 20 points, 6 boards and 4 assists. VERY good all around numbers. The year befoe that he averaged 23 points, 6 boards and 5 assists. Can Kobe, Wade, Melo, Arenas, JO, Granger, Al, Jamison, Butler, Peja, Maggete, Iverson, CP3, Hinrich, T Mac, Marion, Dirk, Diaw, Nash etc etc etc do that today??

Honestly, I doubt these players will do that nowadays, let alone in 10-15 years
    Jordan had no problem with his game his last year, his problem was his attitude

I actually attended the Pacers-Wiards game when Jalen got exected for talking **** to Jordan, and Im not positive but I think JOrdan went off for 40 that night. A truly amaing thing to see in person. My one and only time seeing JOrdan live. And boy was it a treat.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by vapacersfan
    Jordan had no problem with his game his last year, his problem was his attitude

I actually attended the Pacers-Wiards game when Jalen got exected for talking **** to Jordan, and Im not positive but I think JOrdan went off for 40 that night. A truly amaing thing to see in person. My one and only time seeing JOrdan live. And boy was it a treat.
    I believe that was the game in early January when he played the entire game, including overtime.
    STARBURY

08 and Beyond

I believe that was the game in early January when he played the entire game, including overtime.
    Yeah, that was it. I do remember it went into OT cause I was talking a lot of trash to the two ladies behind me.

That was when I first started posting here, I didnt know it at the time but BigMac was a couple of rows in front of me.

redwillow

Quote Originally Posted by vapacersfan
    Jordan had no problem with his game his last year, his problem was his attitude.
    Dind't he have some pretty bad knee issues aswell?

Mood

Classic game. Just behind the Mavs vs. Wiz game from later that year.
    STARBURY

08 and Beyond

Quote Originally Posted by redwillow
    Dind't he have some pretty bad knee issues aswell?
    I dont remember his health being an issue, but it may have been.

I just remember his attitude because I expected him to get a job in the front office and as we all know that didnt work out.

Classic game. Just behind the Mavs vs. Wiz game from later that year.
    I dont remember that game, but I may have seen that one on the TV.

But you are correct, that game was a classic.