Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just how deep is this next draft?

Default Just how deep is this next draft?

Well, since I'm in the thread-starting mood...

Several of our resident PD draft-lovers have been raving about this next draft, and I thought it deserved its own thread.

Just what makes this next draft so great? How does it look in term of top-end, 'superstar potential' talents? How deep does the 1st round as a whole look to run? For example - the talent in this year's draft dropped off big-time somewhere after the first ten picks. Where is that drop-off at in 2007?
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Default Re: Just how deep is this next draft?

I don't honestly think we'll know how strong or not the draft is until college basketball season is at least 1/2 way through, if not into April --- you just don't know who's going to declare and how various seniors are going to fare through the season....
    "Sometimes, when you look Andy in the eyes, you get a feeling somebody else is driving." -- David Letterman

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Its very deep as far as big men go.

Oden, McRoberts, Noah, Gray, Horford, Splitter, Hansborough and many others.

Also pretty good with wing players.

Durant, Young, Wright, Mbah a Moute (love his name) Brewer and Green

I'm not so sure about guards however.
    STARBURY

08 and Beyond

All I know is that we better start rooting for the Knicks...the Bulls pretty much own their first rounder because of that brilliant Eddy Curry trade and I don't want them to get any better through the draft, no matter how deep it turns out...Damnit!

Quote Originally Posted by LoneGranger33
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    All I know is that we better start rooting for the Knicks...the Bulls pretty much own their first rounder because of that brilliant Eddy Curry trade and I don't want them to get any better through the draft, no matter how deep it turns out...Damnit!
    Oh, I definitely agree with this. How the hell did the Bulls squeeze this deal out of the Knicks again?

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by rexnom
    Oh, I definitely agree with this. How the hell did the Bulls squeeze this deal out of the Knicks again?
    Zeke is an idiot -thats how
    STARBURY

08 and Beyond

Quote Originally Posted by Robertmto
    Zeke is an idiot -thats how
    I don't think he is an idiot, he just has no foresight. They probably could have gotten the deal for just their pick and Sweetney since the Bulls really wanted no part of Curry and his heart anymore. Considering that everyone was saying even a summer ago how weak this draft was going to be, I think that that deal isn't very bad for the Knicks. But everyone was also saying even a summer ago that the 2007 draft was going to be STACKED. Even if your team is on the upswing, why would you even risk it? No foresight that's how.

Isiah Thomas is the Epimetheus to John Paxson's Prometheus. And yes, that makes Oden fire and Eddy Curry Pandora. I'll shut up now.

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

Its very deep as far as big men go.

Oden, McRoberts, Noah, Gray, Horford, Splitter, Hansborough and many others.

Also pretty good with wing players.

Durant, Young, Wright, Mbah a Moute (love his name) Brewer and Green

I'm not so sure about guards however.
    yes, it's the prospective crop of big men which makes next year's draft special. noah, horford, and splitter are sure to declare because of their age. mcroberts is likely, oden is uncertain since he's consistently said he would stay in college for 4 years.

to add to those names, spencer hawes (7'0"), yi jianlian (7'0"), hasheem thabeet (7'2"), and ante tomic (7'2") may also declare.

the lottery level guards tend to emerge over the ncaa season, like kaufman says. lottery big men prospects tend to get tracked from much earlier though...

there are also rumblings that o.j. mayo and bill walker may challenge the nba age limit.

draftexpress has a nice article regarding prospects from the graduating high school class (oden's batchmates)

http://draftexpress.com/viewarticle.php?a=1359

Does anyone think Oden will NOT enter the draft?

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    I doubt it. I think he will do what Carmelo did basically. He'll say the right things and he'll hold out til the last possible moment but in the end, he'll come out.

What about this oj mayo kid?
    LoneGranger33 said
    Agreed. As the members of Guns and Roses once said, "every rose has its thorn".

concerning the draft as a whole, kaufman's right, we really won't know until the season gets underway. however, as it looks now, you'll still see some top-end talent in the late lottery stages. i mean, draftexpress has dominic james going 19!!! and i truly believe james will end up as a chris paul type player.

Mood

I honestly think Oden's stock (and play) will take a hit when he plays players that are on his level.
    STARBURY

08 and Beyond

I honestly think Oden's stock (and play) will take a hit when he plays players that are on his level.
    you do realize that EVERY time oden played in aau tournaments, in all-star competitions, and hs games against highly ranked teams/bigs oden dominated. i'm tired of this 'until oden plays players on his own level' bs. what do you think aau is for??? were talking domination against guys like b. wright, hawes, the lopez twins, mcroberts, hansbrough, bynum, hendrix, love, koufos, randolph, etc etc etc, all of which are/were some of the best bigs in their respective classes. again, no, oden rarely competed against good competition in hs, but believe it or not, his aau stats versus the best were even better. can't even recall a tourney oden competed in in aau where he didn't win mvp honors.

With Oden you have a guy who has the physical talent along with the
    drive to be a great player. If he can avoid the injury bug he should show
    pretty strong by the end of the college season.

owl
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

With little exception, big men who come out early/too early don't do well. I don't know if Oden will be an exception to this rule, a la Garnett or Amare in Phoenix. You will just have to see him play in college to make a better conclusion...
    "Sometimes, when you look Andy in the eyes, you get a feeling somebody else is driving." -- David Letterman

Quote Originally Posted by rexnom
    I don't think he is an idiot, he just has no foresight.
    Technically he isn't an idiot - just when it comes to being a GM. I won't go into details. I have to get something done in a couple of hours once the grass dries. (No - not THAT kind of grass!)

James Dolan, however, IS an idiot.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Only if he just looks horrible.

I don't think that will happen but keep in mind that a ton of folks had Dan Gadzuric as the number one pro prospect coming out of HS his senior year.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

streets ahead

i figure oden will enter the draft, unless he has a bad year following the foot injury.

another person who will probably enter the draft is dj white from IU (i don't think he's been mentioned). if he can get back to his freshman year form he'll be a first round player, probably not lottery.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by croz24
    you do realize that EVERY time oden played in aau tournaments, in all-star competitions, and hs games against highly ranked teams/bigs oden dominated. i'm tired of this 'until oden plays players on his own level' bs. what do you think aau is for??? were talking domination against guys like b. wright, hawes, the lopez twins, mcroberts, hansbrough, bynum, hendrix, love, koufos, randolph, etc etc etc, all of which are/were some of the best bigs in their respective classes. again, no, oden rarely competed against good competition in hs, but believe it or not, his aau stats versus the best were even better. can't even recall a tourney oden competed in in aau where he didn't win mvp honors.
    The big game everyone like to talk about here is a Carmel vs. LN game from 2004 I believe or basically Josh vs. Greg. And everyone says Greg dominated. The big thing is Oden didn't even guard McRoberts that game. And also I only counted maybe 6 or 8 of Oden's points coming when MvRoberts guarded him. The rest were sloppy putbacks or shots against a smaller, slower player whose name I can't remember.
    STARBURY

08 and Beyond

year of the black rainbow obnoxiousmodesty's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Brian
    He's still in high school for one more year. He is rumored to play for USC in '07-08 for what will surely be his only year of collegiate basketball.
    Take me out to the black, tell 'em I ain't coming back. Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

EJ in 08 baby. That's all I'm saying.

woman without a team

Evenually he will. I'm just on convinced it will be after his freshman year. Matt Leinart stayed four years. Why can't Oden?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian
    Like Gordon, he's '08.

Oden has always given me the impression he's sincere about being serious about college. I have a hard time believing he'll stay 4 years, but I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if he stayed more than 1.

ESPN has what appears to be a ton of stuff at the below site. Problem is, it's all Insider'd. *******s.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2007/index

Too give you an idea of how deep next year's draft could be, Noah without question would have been the #1 pick this year. He was lightyears ahead of everybody else. Next year, I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't crack the top 5, and he could fall even further a la Leinhart.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

According to the Bloomington newspaper DJ White is having a monster summer. Possibly lottery pick.
    "He wanted to get to that money time. Time when the hardware was on the table. That's when Roger was going to show up. So all we needed to do was stay close"
    Darnell Hillman (Speaking of former teammate Roger Brown)