View Poll Results: The Best Player Listed is:

Voters
59. You may not vote on this poll
  • Raja Bell

    1 1.69%
  • Caron Butler

    1 1.69%
  • Ricky Davis

    1 1.69%
  • Ben Gordon

    12 20.34%
  • Larry Hughes

    4 6.78%
  • Andre Iguodala

    4 6.78%
  • Stephen Jackson

    0 0%
  • Corey Maggette

    10 16.95%
  • Desmond Mason

    0 0%
  • Mike Miller

    0 0%
  • Cuttino Mobley

    0 0%
  • Morris Peterson

    0 0%
  • Jason Richardson

    23 38.98%
  • Jerry Stackhouse

    1 1.69%
  • Hedo Turkoglu

    0 0%
  • Bonzi Wells

    2 3.39%
  • Other

    0 0%
Results 1 to 23 of 23

Thread: Pacers Digest Vote: #10 Shooting Guard

  1. #1
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Pacers Digest Vote: #10 Shooting Guard

    The goal of this project is to determine the general consensus on Pacers Digest of who the best players are at each position in the NBA: Center, Power Forward, Small Forward, Shooting Guard, and Point Guard.

    However, do not worry about the positions. I have tried to put everyone at their proper position, but what I am trying to do here is vote for the best overall player, at the position I happened to put them. The objective of each poll is to determine the best player listed, not the best pure positional player.

    This thread is to vote for the best remaining shooting guard in the NBA. You have 24 hours from the time this thread is posted to vote!

    Once each position has 30 players ranked, the project will end, and a final tally will be posted in a new thread.

    The top shooting guards so far, as voted by Pacers Digest members, are:

    #1 Kobe Bryant
    #2 Dwyane Wade
    #3 Paul Pierce
    #4 Ray Allen
    #5 Vince Carter
    #6 Manu Ginobili
    #7 Richard Hamilton
    #8 Michael Redd
    #9 Joe Johnson

    Today's nominees* for best shooting guard remaining are:

    Raja Bell
    Caron Butler
    Ricky Davis
    Ben Gordon
    Larry Hughes
    Andre Iguodala
    Stephen Jackson
    Corey Maggette
    Desmond Mason
    Mike Miller
    Cuttino Mobley
    Morris Peterson
    Jason Richardson
    Jerry Stackhouse
    Hedo Turkoglu
    Bonzi Wells

    * I can't please everyone with the position I put certain guys, so the way I see it is this:

    If I've made such a colossal mistake, it can easily be corrected by you, the voter. How? I will always have "Other" as an option. All you have to do is vote for it, and state for the record in a reply which player you thought deserved the vote. If the majority of people do this, then that player will still win this poll. It just takes a little more effort then two clicks of the mouse. But if you're too lazy to do that, then you have no right to whine about it later.

  2. #2
    #PacerNation 317Kim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    317
    Age
    23
    Posts
    13,440

    Default Re: Pacers Digest Vote: #10 Shooting Guard

    Ben Gordon. Woop woop!

  3. #3
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: Pacers Digest Vote: #10 Shooting Guard

    The guy we wanted more than Peja.

  4. #4
    Raw Talent Robertmto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    The Nap
    Posts
    5,260
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pacers Digest Vote: #10 Shooting Guard

    Still votin Butler here
    STARBURY

    08 and Beyond

  5. #5
    Member AnotherBirdCreation's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Age
    35
    Posts
    100

    Default Re: Pacers Digest Vote: #10 Shooting Guard

    Gordon.

  6. #6
    Raw Talent Robertmto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    The Nap
    Posts
    5,260
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pacers Digest Vote: #10 Shooting Guard

    Gordon < Butler
    STARBURY

    08 and Beyond

  7. #7
    Jay Ohh
    Guest

    Default Re: Pacers Digest Vote: #10 Shooting Guard

    Butler isn't even top fifteen.

    I can't decide between Jason Richardson and Gordon.

  8. #8
    Raw Talent Robertmto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    The Nap
    Posts
    5,260
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pacers Digest Vote: #10 Shooting Guard

    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Ohh
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Butler isn't even top fifteen.
    I really need to hear the 15 players better than him.
    STARBURY

    08 and Beyond

  9. #9
    Jay Ohh
    Guest

    Default Re: Pacers Digest Vote: #10 Shooting Guard

    Kobe Bryant
    Dwyane Wade
    Paul Pierce
    Ray Allen
    Vince Carter
    Manu Ginobili
    Richard Hamilton
    Michael Redd
    Joe Johnson
    J-Rich
    Ben Gordon
    Bonzi Wells
    Corey Maggette
    Larry Hughes
    Ricky Davis

  10. #10
    Raw Talent Robertmto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    The Nap
    Posts
    5,260
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pacers Digest Vote: #10 Shooting Guard

    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Ohh
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Kobe Bryant
    Dwyane Wade
    Paul Pierce
    Ray Allen
    Vince Carter
    Manu Ginobili
    Richard Hamilton
    Michael Redd
    Joe Johnson
    J-Rich
    Ben Gordon
    Bonzi Wells
    Corey Maggette
    Larry Hughes
    Ricky Davis
    9 out of 15 aint bad.

    If you really think those other 6 are better than Butler than ur out of your mind. Butler is the best rebounding guard in the league, averaged 18 points, hit nearly 90% of his free throws and isn't too shabby on D either.
    STARBURY

    08 and Beyond

  11. #11
    Headband and Rec Specs rexnom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    New Haven, CT
    Posts
    8,751

    Default Re: Pacers Digest Vote: #10 Shooting Guard

    Quote Originally Posted by Robertmto
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    9 out of 15 aint bad.

    If you really think those other 6 are better than Butler than ur out of your mind. Butler is the best rebounding guard in the league, averaged 18 points, hit nearly 90% of his free throws and isn't too shabby on D either.
    I'd put Butler at 11 or 12...I think J-Rich is better and I think Gordon is better and possibly Maggette.

    If you go by trade value then Butler certainly rises above those guys.

  12. #12
    Raw Talent Robertmto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    The Nap
    Posts
    5,260
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pacers Digest Vote: #10 Shooting Guard

    Quote Originally Posted by rexnom
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'd put Butler at 11 or 12...I think J-Rich is better and I think Gordon is better and possibly Maggette.

    If you go by trade value then Butler certainly rises above those guys.
    Maggette is 2 much of a locker room problem and Gordon may be better, but what I saw of him in the first round of the playoffs last year turned me as a fan.
    STARBURY

    08 and Beyond

  13. #13
    Jay Ohh
    Guest

    Default Re: Pacers Digest Vote: #10 Shooting Guard

    All the way down to Maggette, there's no question that those guys are better. lmao you think he's better that Jason Richardson and Gordon? No way. Ricky Davis had better all around stats than Butler, so you can stop whining about the rebounds.

    Only guy he might be able to slip by is Hughes, who I doubt he's better than considering he took his place and wasn't as good.

  14. #14
    Raw Talent Robertmto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    The Nap
    Posts
    5,260
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pacers Digest Vote: #10 Shooting Guard

    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Ohh
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    All the way down to Maggette, there's no question that those guys are better. lmao you think he's better that Jason Richardson and Gordon? No way. Ricky Davis had better all around stats than Butler, so you can stop whining about the rebounds.

    Only guy he might be able to slip by is Hughes, who I doubt he's better than considering he took his place and wasn't as good.
    As for Davis, Butler shot better than him from everywhere on the floor, free throw line, inside the arc, and outside the arc, and he only averaged 2 points less being the third option. Davis was the 2nd option on his team and the first option on the wing.

    Butler >> Davis

    As for Hughes, Butler shot better than him from everywhere except for 3 point land, and thats only because he took 50 less shots, if he woudl have shot 120 like Butler did his percentage would have been much lower. Just look at the 04/05 season he took 200+ and only shot 28%.

    And how was Butler not as good taking Hughes place - he led the team in steals (just like Hughes did) scored very well as the 3rd option (just like Hughes did) and stretched the D (just like Hughes did)

    Butler > Hughes

    Come with some facts buddy.
    STARBURY

    08 and Beyond

  15. #15
    It Might Be a Soft J JayRedd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    NYC
    Age
    33
    Posts
    12,158

    Default Re: Pacers Digest Vote: #10 Shooting Guard

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The guy we wanted more than Peja.
    Yup
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

    Follow my twitter:

    @8pts9secs


  16. #16
    Jay Ohh
    Guest

    Default Re: Pacers Digest Vote: #10 Shooting Guard

    Quote Originally Posted by Robertmto
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    As for Davis, Butler shot better than him from everywhere on the floor, free throw line, inside the arc, and outside the arc, and he only averaged 2 points less being the third option. Davis was the 2nd option on his team and the first option on the wing.

    Butler >> Davis

    As for Hughes, Butler shot better than him from everywhere except for 3 point land, and thats only because he took 50 less shots, if he woudl have shot 120 like Butler did his percentage would have been much lower. Just look at the 04/05 season he took 200+ and only shot 28%.

    And how was Butler not as good taking Hughes place - he led the team in steals (just like Hughes did) scored very well as the 3rd option (just like Hughes did) and stretched the D (just like Hughes did)

    Butler > Hughes

    Come with some facts buddy.
    Nice excuse. Third option on a team with ****ty offensive players. He, Jamison, and Arenas are the only scorers. Nobody else worries teams at all. Ricky Davis averaged 18, 5 and 5 and kept it like that even with all the change and his new system. Butler will never do that. Even with his slightly like .5 better percentages, Ricky is still the better scorer, passer, and defender making:

    Davis>>Butler

    I'll give him a pity selection and give him the fifteenth spot instead of Hughes. But that's just because I hate Hughes and because he can't make a jumpshot to save his life.

    Nice job dodging the fact that you said he was better than Gordon and Richardson,by the way.
    No facts to support your little fantasy land?

    http://www.nba.com/playerfile/caron_butler/index.html

    That's reality for you. Time to accept it.

  17. #17
    Raw Talent Robertmto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    The Nap
    Posts
    5,260
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pacers Digest Vote: #10 Shooting Guard

    Davis took 122 more 3 pointers and 218 more field goals and only averaged 2 more points than Butler? Does that convince you who's better?

    As for Gordon I just feel that Butler is superior. Gordon is to small to guard other shooting guards and not quick enough to guard point guards. Also he can't take many players off the dribble which cripples his offensive ability.

    And are you kidding me; J Rich??

    The guy is horrible from the line, takes WAY too many shots and can't lead his team to a winning season for his life.
    STARBURY

    08 and Beyond

  18. #18
    Jay Ohh
    Guest

    Default Re: Pacers Digest Vote: #10 Shooting Guard

    Ricky Davis took more shots because He was the second option. And he only averaged two more because defenses focused more on him than they would on Butler.

    Ben Gordon's just better. Way better shooter, better handles, more clutch. Isn't he younger too?

    As for Richardson, you really think Caron Butler would get that sorry team into the playoffs, much less give them a chance while getting better every year? They should have made it last year, but lockerroom and injury problems kept them out.

  19. #19
    Raw Talent Robertmto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    The Nap
    Posts
    5,260
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pacers Digest Vote: #10 Shooting Guard

    If player A takes 200 more shots than player B, shouldn't player A score signifigantly more points?

    Yes; but did he; no

    Gordon is a much better shooter? Only if you only count 3 point shooting as shooting. The free throw and field goal percentages both go to Butler. The rebounding edge goes to Butler. The assist numbers were basically the same (which is a shame seeing how Gordon splits his time playing both guard positions and Butler is a 2/3) Butler is an obvious better defensive player both stat wise and "real game situations" wise. And as for better handles - Gordon commited 5 more TO's than Butler. Not a big difference - but it proves your point is wrong.

    Butler >> Gordon

    And don;t give me that crap about locker room problems. If J Rich was a true leader he could help keep that locker room in order. It is a known fact that player relastionships are very good in DC.
    STARBURY

    08 and Beyond

  20. #20
    Jay Ohh
    Guest

    Default Re: Pacers Digest Vote: #10 Shooting Guard

    LOL if you're trying to pass Caron Butler off as a better shooter than Ben Gordon, then you should never watch basketball again, because you have no idea what you're talking about. Ever hear of those little things called dunks, or layups maybe? I guess Shaq is a better shooter than Gordon too. Oh, and let's not forget that people don't leave Ben while Caron gets more open looks. Anyone who's watched the teams on a regular basis can tell you that.

    Check the polls. I wonder who that one vote for Butler came from? I mean it's not like everybody else knows how wrong you are or anything. Jason Richardson only has 22 more votes. Don't worry, Caron can still catch up.

    You're taking homerism to new levels.

  21. #21
    Raw Talent Robertmto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    The Nap
    Posts
    5,260
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pacers Digest Vote: #10 Shooting Guard

    I'm not suprised that Caron isn't getting votes - he's underrated and the Wizards don't get enough national air play.

    And the truth is Butler is a better mid range shooter and slasher.
    STARBURY

    08 and Beyond

  22. #22
    Jay Ohh
    Guest

    Default Re: Pacers Digest Vote: #10 Shooting Guard

    Ben Gordon is probably a top five jumpshooter in this league. That includes midrange.

    There's no way Caron Butlers ugly push shot should even be in the same sentence.

  23. #23
    Raw Talent Robertmto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    The Nap
    Posts
    5,260
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pacers Digest Vote: #10 Shooting Guard

    Heart of a champion AND all around talent

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yZoI...Caron%20Butler

    And who cares what the shot looks like? If it goes in consistently then it is effective. (see Shawn Marion)
    STARBURY

    08 and Beyond

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •