Thread: Star article on Darrell Armstrong

Default Star article on Darrell Armstrong

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...TS04/607270455

A voice of experience lands in Indy
    New Pacer Armstrong brings veteran leadership to young team
    by Mark Monteith

He ran three players-only film sessions last season. He ran practices, too, and he'd occasionally step in and lecture during timeouts.
    Sure, Darrell Armstrong comes to the Indiana Pacers as a player, a 38-year-old point guard who believes he still can contribute. But he'll be an untitled assistant coach as well, bringing proven leadership to a team that's thirsting for direction.
    "I see a team that's looking for some help," Armstrong said during an informal media gathering Wednesday at Conseco Fieldhouse.
    "You have to understand, losing Reggie Miller was big for this team. His presence, on and off the floor, was big for this team. I think (team president Larry Bird) sees the same qualities that Reggie had."
    Armstrong faces the challenge of assuming Miller-like leadership as a newcomer, but he's willing to lead by example first. He'll also have allies in the locker room in former Dallas teammate Marquis Daniels and, perhaps, Josh Powell and Rawle Marshall.
    Powell and Marshall were included in the trade with Dallas that brought Armstrong to the Pacers for Anthony Johnson. Their status is uncertain, but Daniels will be a key player and an unabashed advocate.
    Daniels recruited Armstrong over the past couple of weeks when Armstrong was considering free agent offers -- Washington was the Pacers' primary competition -- and looks forward to rejoining him.
    "He shows great leadership," Daniels said in a telephone interview Wednesday. "He's committed. He brings effort every day, and when the young guys see the old guys doing that, it makes a difference."
    Armstrong plans to play one more season and then turn to coaching, but he got a head start last season with the Mavericks. He recalled an overtime loss in New York on Jan. 11, after which Dallas coach Avery Johnson approached him on the flight home and told him to run the film session the next day without the coaches.
    Armstrong did, and the Mavericks promptly went on a 13-game winning streak. He ran another film session after the first 11 wins of that streak, before Dallas played the Los Angeles Lakers. Kobe Bryant had dropped 62 points in three quarters on the Mavericks the previous time they met. Armstrong encouraged more physical play, Bryant managed just 24 points on 5-of-22 shooting, and the Mavericks continued their streak.
    "It was fun that Avery depended on me to get through to those guys," Armstrong said.
    Armstrong hopes to continue a similar role with the Pacers, but he's quick to remind that he sees himself as a player first. He played in 62 games with the Mavericks last season, more than he anticipated, for an average of 10 minutes per game. His stats were modest -- 2.1 points on 34 percent shooting, 1.4 assists -- but he offers intangibles beyond the box score, both in practices and games.
    He tsk-tsked the question of how much he'll play next season.
    "I can play all 82," he said. "If I can still pick up full court at 38 . . . that's been my job for the last 12 years. It's easy. It's like you writing notes. It's easy."
    With Austin Croshere and Johnson traded to Dallas and Scot Pollard in limbo as a free agent, Armstrong stands apart on a Pacers' roster that remains a work in progress. Their second-oldest player at the moment is Jeff Foster, who turned 29 in January.
    Unabashed, Armstrong looks forward to setting an example.
    "I just try to play the game like old-school," he said. "I don't wear sweatbands, I don't wear headbands. I just put on my hard hat and go out there and play. I respect the way the older guys played the game in the past and that's what I try to do, just play the game the way it's supposed to be played. Hopefully everybody will follow."
    And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

Default Re: Star article on Darrell Armstrong

Quote Originally Posted by Putnam
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    With Austin Croshere and Johnson traded to Dallas and Scot Pollard in limbo as a free agent, Armstrong stands apart on a Pacers' roster that remains a work in progress. Their second-oldest player at the moment is Jeff Foster, who turned 29 in January.
    Wow. I didn't realize that.

So the immaturity isn't just in my head.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Leaving out the questions about AJ, the ball-hog, and general discusions of the point guard position, what do people think of Armstrong?

He is clearly one of the good guys. It was a good symbolic move for a team that is seeking restoration.

I just question whether Darrell can have much impact. Strong veteran leadership is a good thing for young players. But our trouble is with veterans.
    And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

Elevate to coaching staff after this year. Maybe not head coach ready for when RC gets booted/let go, but perhaps down the road a couple years he's the man. Doesn't sound like a bad option to me.

Hall of Famers FrenchConnection's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I really think that this is all about Tinsley. How can Tins not play through small injuries when a 38 year old is? I think that Armstrong is almost a PG coach for Tins. Maybe he can get through to him. If he can, I think that he can tackle any coaching job in the league.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

DA looks to be a great pickup for the Pacers leadership wise (no disrespect to AJ). Although, he needs to pick his words just a little better than comparing himself to Reggie.

Quote Originally Posted by FrenchConnection
    I really think that this is all about Tinsley. How can Tins not play through small injuries when a 38 year old is? I think that Armstrong is almost a PG coach for Tins. Maybe he can get through to him. If he can, I think that he can tackle any coaching job in the league.
    How? Just watch.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

Quote Originally Posted by BoomBaby33
    Although, he needs to pick his words just a little better than comparing himself to Reggie.
    What do you mean? All DA said was that he thinks Larry sees some of the same qualities in DA as Reggie had, and I agree with that.

Maybe I missed someone else he said but I don't understand why you fussing over what DA said.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...TS04/607270455

A voice of experience lands in Indy
    New Pacer Armstrong brings veteran leadership to young team
    by Mark Monteith

He ran three players-only film sessions last season. He ran practices, too, and he'd occasionally step in and lecture during timeouts.

Sure, Darrell Armstrong comes to the Indiana Pacers as a player, a 38-year-old point guard who believes he still can contribute. But he'll be an untitled assistant coach as well, bringing proven leadership to a team that's thirsting for direction.

"I see a team that's looking for some help," Armstrong said during an informal media gathering Wednesday at Conseco Fieldhouse.

"You have to understand, losing Reggie Miller was big for this team. His presence, on and off the floor, was big for this team. I think (team president Larry Bird) sees the same qualities that Reggie had."

Armstrong faces the challenge of assuming Miller-like leadership as a newcomer, but he's willing to lead by example first. He'll also have allies in the locker room in former Dallas teammate Marquis Daniels and, perhaps,
    Josh Powell and Rawle Marshall.

Powell and Marshall were included in the trade with Dallas that brought Armstrong to the Pacers for Anthony Johnson. Their status is uncertain, but Daniels will be a key player and an unabashed advocate.

Daniels recruited Armstrong over the past couple of weeks when Armstrong was considering free agent offers -- Washington was the Pacers' primary competition -- and looks forward to rejoining him.

"He shows great leadership," Daniels said in a telephone interview Wednesday. "He's committed. He brings effort every day, and when the young guys see the old guys doing that, it makes a difference."

Armstrong plans to play one more season and then turn to coaching, but he got a head start last season with the Mavericks. He recalled an overtime loss in New York on Jan. 11, after which Dallas coach Avery Johnson approached him on the flight home and told him to run the film session the next day without the coaches.

Armstrong did, and the Mavericks promptly went on a 13-game winning
    streak. He ran another film session after the first 11 wins of that streak, before Dallas played the Los Angeles Lakers. Kobe Bryant had dropped 62 points in three quarters on the Mavericks the previous time they met. Armstrong encouraged more physical play, Bryant managed just 24 points on 5-of-22 shooting, and the Mavericks continued their streak.

"It was fun that Avery depended on me to get through to those guys," Armstrong said.

Armstrong hopes to continue a similar role with the Pacers, but he's quick to remind that he sees himself as a player first. He played in 62 games with the Mavericks last season, more than he anticipated, for an average of 10 minutes per game. His stats were modest -- 2.1 points on 34 percent shooting, 1.4 assists -- but he offers intangibles beyond the box score, both in practices and games.

He tsk-tsked the question of how much he'll play next season.

"I can play all 82," he said. "If I can still pick up full court at 38 . . . that's been my job for the last 12 years. It's easy. It's like you writing notes. It's easy."

Unabashed, Armstrong looks forward to setting an example.

"I just try to play the game like old-school," he said. "I don't wear sweatbands, I don't wear headbands. I just put on my hard hat and go out there and play. I respect the way the older guys played the game in the past and that's what I try to do, just play the game the way it's supposed to be played. Hopefully everybody will follow."

Add me to the D. Armstrong fan club.
    "He wanted to get to that money time. Time when the hardware was on the table. That's when Roger was going to show up. So all we needed to do was stay close"
    Darnell Hillman (Speaking of former teammate Roger Brown)

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by rommie
    What do you mean? All DA said was that he thinks Larry sees some of the same qualities in DA as Reggie had, and I agree with that.

Maybe I missed someone else he said but I don't understand why you fussing over what DA said.
    Excerpt from the actual article:

Im not saying I dont like DA, im just saying I hope he isnt TOO full of himself, we have too many players already that are too full of themselves. In fact, I think DA in the locker-room > JO in the locker-room. Good luck to the Pacers, I think they have improved themselves with this trade (team leadership). Maybe this is the kind of attitude they actually need. JO is not the leader this team needs, however they just need him to play.

And as you can tell by by original post, I hold VERY HIGH regard for what Reggie did for this franchise. And if we are lucky enough to get DA to be even 25% of what Reg brought, we will have improved in this area from last years team.