Results 1 to 23 of 23

Thread: Orlando is scratching their head

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Age
    28
    Posts
    846

    Default Orlando is scratching their head

    Fran Vasquez Signs Huge Deal With FC Barcelona
    26th July, 2006 - 11:32 am

    A Spanish sports newspaper is reporting that 2005 Orlando Magic lottery pick has signed a long-term contract with a large buyout sum with FC Barcelona.

    The deal is a four-year contract. He will earn 1.4 million euros ($1.75 million USD) per year and he will have an approximately 8.5 million euros ($10.75 million USD) buyout.

    realgm
    _______________________________________

    I'd say this puts a damper on him playing for Orlando. $10.75 million dollar buyout...yikes!

  2. #2
    Member CableKC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA ( 1123, 6536, 5321 )
    Age
    41
    Posts
    24,573

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Orlando is scratching their head

    I guess that Fran REALLY doesn't want to play for Orlando. Talk about a waste of a 1st round draft pick.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

    This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

  3. #3
    Administrator Roaming Gnome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check
    Age
    40
    Posts
    5,935

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Orlando is scratching their head

    I guess that really was some Magic making their draft pick disappear.
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

  4. #4
    Expect Delays blanket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,810

    Default Re: Orlando is scratching their head

    Quote Originally Posted by CableKC
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I guess that Fran REALLY doesn't want to play for Orlando. Talk about a waste of a 1st round draft pick.
    And not just a first rounder, but a lottery pick! And when Granger was still on the board!
    "I'll always be a part of Donnie Walsh."
    -Ron Artest, Denver Post, 12.28.05

  5. #5
    Edge of Reason GO!!!!!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Launceston, Australia
    Posts
    3,779

    Default Re: Orlando is scratching their head

    Makes the Raptors not look as stupid we thought when they drafted Arajo, at least he played a few minutes....


    Ya Think Ya Used Enough Dynamite there Butch...


  6. #6

    Default Re: Orlando is scratching their head

    There were rumors this was going to happen before that draft.

    They obviously thought they had a shot, and I think it shows you EXACTLY how little these NBA GM's know about European players when drafting them. It may be much more of a crapshoot than I ever imagined if they didn't know better than this.

  7. #7
    Hall of Famers FrenchConnection's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Age
    40
    Posts
    1,663
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Orlando is scratching their head

    I wonder why the guy entered the draft if he never intended to play in the US? He even showed up at the draft in NY to shake Stern's hand. You would think that he would have cleared it with his gf before deciding to enter the draft.

  8. #8
    Fear my small avatar Gyron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    6,366

    Default Re: Orlando is scratching their head

    Maybe we should trade for his rights to go along side the rights to the guy we got from New Orleans. Then we could get a couple more and form an all European rights team.

  9. #9
    Banned Destined4Greatness's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    1,668

    Default Re: Orlando is scratching their head

    Is this article saying his buyout is more than his regular salary?

  10. #10

    Default Re: Orlando is scratching their head

    Quote Originally Posted by FrenchConnection
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I wonder why the guy entered the draft if he never intended to play in the US?
    I guess - it's only business... OTOH, I guess it has something to do with Macijauskas case we discussed earlier...
    I'm really sorry because of my english (which is my 3-4 language) and I really appreciate Your patience. I hope this board will make me better

  11. #11
    Member tdubb03's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Crawfordsville, IN
    Age
    30
    Posts
    721

    Default Re: Orlando is scratching their head

    Before the Magic took him, didn't he enter and pull out of the draft something like the previous 2 years?

    RED FLAG Orlando

  12. #12
    Member AnotherBirdCreation's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Age
    35
    Posts
    100

    Default Re: Orlando is scratching their head

    Fine by me... this is one of the key picks that allowed Granger to slip to us.

  13. #13

    Default Re: Orlando is scratching their head

    Beyond idiotic that they didn't take granger. He's the perfect fit for that team.

  14. #14
    Go Colts! Shade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    36
    Posts
    44,233

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Orlando is scratching their head

    Ouch. That's gonna leave a mark.

  15. #15
    Member LoneGranger33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Age
    28
    Posts
    17,394

    Default Re: Orlando is scratching their head

    Quote Originally Posted by Gyron
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Maybe we should trade for his rights to go along side the rights to the guy we got from New Orleans. Then we could get a couple more and form an all European rights team.
    hahaha...maybe we could get erazem lorbek to play on that team while we're at it

  16. #16
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,738

    Default Re: Orlando is scratching their head

    Quote Originally Posted by DeS
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I guess - it's only business... [/URL]
    Good business to lie to GMs? You say so.

    It won't hurt him any... but it will hurt other European players in the future.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  17. #17
    Boom Baby'er ABADays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    The Coliseum
    Posts
    6,248

    Default Re: Orlando is scratching their head

    Great news. I can't stand the Heat.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

  18. #18
    Fear my small avatar Gyron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    6,366

    Default Re: Orlando is scratching their head

    Quote Originally Posted by ABADays
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Great news. I can't stand the Heat.
    ABA, I think the desert heat is getting to your head.

    Orlando is the magic, not the heat.

  19. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Age
    28
    Posts
    5,930

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Orlando is scratching their head

    Quote Originally Posted by ABADays
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Great news. I can't stand the Heat.
    Wait, how does this effect the Heat?

  20. #20
    Raw Talent Robertmto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    The Nap
    Posts
    5,260
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Orlando is scratching their head

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthem
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Good business to lie to GMs? You say so.

    It won't hurt him any... but it will hurt other European players in the future.
    He never said good business.
    STARBURY

    08 and Beyond

  21. #21

    Default Re: Orlando is scratching their head

    Like Robertmto pointed out, I say - It's only a business, like it or not. Players entering the draft (and usually pulling out) to be visible. Maybe Vasquez wanted to play in the NBA, but his agent got the offer, and I guess he said "look what happened to Macijauskas and You are not such the player who can return to any Europe club for the good money after dissapointing season. Better bird in the hand than elk in the woods...".
    I'm really sorry because of my english (which is my 3-4 language) and I really appreciate Your patience. I hope this board will make me better

  22. #22
    Hall of Famers FrenchConnection's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Age
    40
    Posts
    1,663
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Orlando is scratching their head

    Quote Originally Posted by DeS
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Like Robertmto pointed out, I say - It's only a business, like it or not. Players entering the draft (and usually pulling out) to be visible. Maybe Vasquez wanted to play in the NBA, but his agent got the offer, and I guess he said "look what happened to Macijauskas and You are not such the player who can return to any Europe club for the good money after dissapointing season. Better bird in the hand than elk in the woods...".
    Also, I am sure that his Spanish contract would not be that big if he did not have the lure of the NBA. Also, what I think that he will do is to play out this contract in Spain and then sign as a free agent with an NBA club if he develops well. This way he circumvents the rookie contract scale and gets to sign for 4 million or so in four years.

    I am afraid that he will serve as a model for other European players. Get drafted, use the threat of leaving to force a large European contract, and then play out your draft rights in Europe. It really is a smart move on his part if it is intentional. And before you start calling for NBA teams to stop drafting European players, remember Bargnani has come over and will play his rookie year. The talent will continue to seduce GMs.

  23. #23
    Boom Baby'er ABADays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    The Coliseum
    Posts
    6,248

    Default Re: Orlando is scratching their head

    Quote Originally Posted by Gyron
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ABA, I think the desert heat is getting to your head.

    Orlando is the magic, not the heat.
    Okayyyyyy , , , I hate Orlando too!!!!!
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •