Amare Stoudemire
    Dwayne Wade

Default Re: Team USA's roster is set

PG - Arenas, Paul, Kirk
    SG - Wade, Johnson, Battier
    SF - LBJ, Melo, Bowen
    PF - Amare, Brand, Jamison
    C - Howard, Bosh, Miller

Looks pretty good. I'm interested to see what K does with the guys.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

1st unit
    PG-Paul
    SG-Johnson
    SF-Bowen
    PF-LeBron
    C-Bosh

2nd Unit
    PG-Kirk
    SG-Wade
    SF-Battier
    PF-Brand
    C-Howard

11th man-Arenas
    12th man-Melo

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by rexnom
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    1st unit
    PG-Paul
    SG-Johnson
    SF-Bowen
    PF-LeBron
    C-Bosh

2nd Unit
    PG-Kirk
    SG-Wade
    SF-Battier
    PF-Brand
    C-Howard

11th man-Arenas
    12th man-Melo

Melo by ALL accounts has been the best player in Vegas. I don't think he'll be a towel wavier, it's good comedy though.

I knew once I divided the players by position this would devolve into units. The question is, will K follow tradition in international play and play everybody, or will he set a rotation. Should he?
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy
    I knew once I divided the players by position this would devolve into units. The question is, will K follow tradition in international play and play everybody, or will he set a rotation. Should he?
    Minutes will be kept tight because of egos and because no one wants to be burned out before the season.

The question isn't who starts, its who finishes, and whos in charge. Down by two, 4 seconds left, Wade and LeBron in the game, who takes the shot?

But, just for the heck of it:

1st unit
    PG-C. Paul
    SG-D. Wade
    SF-L. James
    PF-D. Howard
    C-E. Brand

Quote Originally Posted by circlecitysportsfan
    Melo by ALL accounts has been the best player in Vegas. I don't think he'll be a towel wavier, it's good comedy though.
    I didn't mean he'd be a towel waiver by putting Melo as twelfth man. He'll play. I just couldn't fit him into one of the first two lineups. I'm sure he'll find ways to play. Btw, I had no idea he was doing so well in Vegas, I was just hypothesizing on what I think would be a good lineup.

We're going to get a whippin' again because we have no true centers on the team. Is the NBA forgetting how pivotal the C position is or do we just lack that position so greatly we can't even put 1 on the U.S.A roster?

You Did It Joseph!!!! AesopRockOn's Avatar
    Mood

i hope amare dominates...bowen too
    You Got The Tony!!!!!!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BoomBaby31
    We're going to get a whippin' again because we have no true centers on the team. Is the NBA forgetting how pivotal the C position is or do we just lack that position so greatly we can't even put 1 on the U.S.A roster?
    I guess Miller isn't a center? We have enough bigs to play the spot, and from what I heard today, I can't remember where, Coach K. Would like to play everyone everygame to keep guys fresh. Noone is going to play 40 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by SycamoreKen
    I guess Miller isn't a center? We have enough bigs to play the spot, and from what I heard today, I can't remember where, Coach K. Would like to play everyone everygame to keep guys fresh. Noone is going to play 40 minutes.
    Sorry 1 true Center which isn't even dominant. How many minutes do you think Miller will get? 8-12 a game? If he isn't cut before the 19th. Coach K still has 3 more to cut. You write we have enough bigs to play the spot; who? Name 1 guy on the roster that can guard those 7 ft Italians that thrashed us last year. Beyond Miller (if he isn't cut) all you have is PF's. If we go in with that run and gun basketball like last year, we are going to get embarrassed like last year. It's sad European countries are thrashing us year in and year out playing our old traditional basketball style.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Here is the list of centers from the poll thread with the Americans highlited. Who do you want on the team? I may have some internationals in red, sorry for the mistake. Greg Odum will probably be on the Olympic team if he pans out.

#1 Shaquille O'Neal
    #2 Yao Ming
    #3 Dwight Howard
    #4 Ben Wallace
    #5 Amare Stoudemire
    #6 Chris Kaman
    #7 Marcus Camby

Today's nominees* for best center remaining are:

Andrew Bogut
    Primoz Brezec
    P.J. Brown
    Tyson Chandler
    Eddy Curry
    Samuel Dalembert
    David Harrison

Zydrunas Ilgauskas
    Nenad Krstic
    Jeff Foster
    Jamaal Magloire
    Chris Mihm
    Brad Miller

Nazr Mohammed
    Alonzo Mourning

Nene
    Zaza Pachulia
    Joel Przybilla
    Kurt Thomas

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Are you serious? Its International basketball - Bosh, Miller, Howard, Amare, and hell even Brand would be dominant centers.
    STARBURY

08 and Beyond

Mood

Sorry 1 true Center which isn't even dominant. How many minutes do you think Miller will get? 8-12 a game? If he isn't cut before the 19th. Coach K still has 3 more to cut. You write we have enough bigs to play the spot; who? Name 1 guy on the roster that can guard those 7 ft Italians that thrashed us last year. Beyond Miller (if he isn't cut) all you have is PF's. If we go in with that run and gun basketball like last year, we are going to get embarrassed like last year. It's sad European countries are thrashing us year in and year out playing our old traditional basketball style.
    Bosh and Howard.

You have seen Howard right?

The kids a beast.

And Miller getting cut?
    STARBURY

08 and Beyond

thanks...i needed a good laugh....

Oh, how I long for the old-school traditional style of shooting 30 threes a game, getting four steps to the basket, and the point guard kicking the ball out to the center for a 23-footer.....

Oh, and at the idea that our team is too small. Lebron James is bigger and stronger than %90 of the big men in europe, and he's a small forward.

Three-point shooting is %90 of the international game. That's really all it is. You make a lot of threes, you win a lot of games. The game is won and lost at the arc.

...you DO realize that they slanted the rules toward guard-play mainly because of amierican post play, right? We don't need a center.Heck, we barely need a power forward.

Send Bosh out there at center, and let's see who will guard who better. They won't be able to hang off of his arms like a jungle gym like they did to duncan, because Bosh will just rain 15-footers all night long.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Mood

No auto-combine!!!!
    STARBURY

08 and Beyond

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat

thanks...i needed a good laugh....

Oh, how I long for the old-school traditional style of shooting 30 threes a game, getting four steps to the basket, and the point guard kicking the ball out to the center for a 23-footer.....

Oh, and at the idea that our team is too small. Lebron James is bigger and stronger than %90 of the big men in europe, and he's a small forward.

Three-point shooting is %90 of the international game. That's really all it is. You make a lot of threes, you win a lot of games. The game is won and lost at the arc.

...you DO realize that they slanted the rules toward guard-play mainly because of amierican post play, right? We don't need a center.Heck, we barely need a power forward.

Send Bosh out there at center, and let's see who will guard who better. They won't be able to hang off of his arms like a jungle gym like they did to duncan, because Bosh will just rain 15-footers all night long.
    I don't know what old school basketball you are referring to. I'm writing about the 60% banging in the paint, 25% driving to the basket, 10% jump shots, and 5% three pointers. Back in the day they didn't even have three pointers. If you think traditional basketball is all three pointers you are sadly mistaken. Oh you're from Michigan my bad..lol j/k j/k j/k serioulsy kidding.

You guys say/write this is international ball we have enough big men, did you watch us vs. Italy and Puerto Rico last Year? Italy we were way undersized and took an embarrassing thrashing. The first couple of games, U.S.A was playing like it was rucker park between the leg passes, bouncing off the backboard trying to dunk, I'm shocked they didn't try to throw it off one of the defenders heads and take a fade away. Coach K could/will change this style but we lack dominant centers of the old. Where are the Shaq's (well he is rare), Hakeem's, Kareems, Ewing, Robinson etc.. they don't exist. Our other decent big men are international players that come over like Yao. If we go in and play like it's And1 or the All-Star game we are going to get a whippen, again. Remember it's the way you play the game, we have the most talented athletes in the world but if you don't play right you are never going to win.

Name one dominant center that beat us up. Come on, just one.

They all shoot threes, lol.

Oh, and if you knew any history, you'd know that ewing, robinson, olajuwon mourning and even shaq couldn't dominate internationally either. They slanted the rules to keep american big men in check. You can pretty much slap and hack away all you want underneath the rim. That's a big part of the reason why duncan will never appear on team USA ever again.

Even on the original dream team, robinson and Ewing were pretty much the 5th option every time down the floor. They NEVER posted up. The dorky trapezoid lane makes low post play nearly impossible.

But anyway, don't let me stop you. COntinue telling me how a game that's based %90 on the ability to hit/stop the three is going to come down to the big men.....

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008

Hall of Famers FrenchConnection's Avatar
    Mood

In international basketball, you have to have good ball movement in the half court and guys that can hit open shots. Post play does you very little good, because as Kstat has pointed out, the rules allow big men to get mugged. Tim Duncan was not effective at all in Athens (which was two years ago BTW). You need mobile big men that can hit open shots. Remember, international basketball is zone, zone, zone. Shooting is the key.

Quote Originally Posted by SycamoreKen
    Here is the list of centers from the poll thread with the Americans highlited. Who do you want on the team? I may have some internationals in red, sorry for the mistake. Greg Odum will probably be on the Olympic team if he pans out.

#1 Shaquille O'Neal
    #2 Yao Ming
    #3 Dwight Howard
    #4 Ben Wallace
    #5 Amare Stoudemire
    #6 Chris Kaman
    #7 Marcus Camby

Today's nominees* for best center remaining are:

Andrew Bogut
    Primoz Brezec
    P.J. Brown
    Tyson Chandler
    Eddy Curry
    Samuel Dalembert
    David Harrison

Zydrunas Ilgauskas
    Nenad Krstic
    Jeff Foster
    Jamaal Magloire
    Chris Mihm
    Brad Miller

Nazr Mohammed
    Alonzo Mourning

Nene
    Zaza Pachulia
    Joel Przybilla
    Kurt Thomas
    Exactly, my point the Center position is scarce. Beyond Shaq and Wallace there is no dominant centers. Early 90's we had Shaq, Hakeem, Ewing, Robinson, Smits(lol hey I love that guy). In the early 90's 5 of the top 9 scores were always centers. Now there isn't any center near the top of scoring list. The only true center is Shaq and he is 28th in scoring. I'm just saying the position is being forgotten about or we don't have anymore big men.

...and europe somehow has better big men than we do? that's a laugh.

All you need to do to be an efective big man in international play is (A) be able to shoot from 18 feet, and (B) put the ball on the floor.

Backing people down is pointless. Tim Duncan tried that in 2004 and fouled out several times, most of the fouls coming on vlade-esque flops.

There's no charge circle in fiba. You back a guy down, he falls, it's going to go the other way %75 of the time.

For the last time: WE CANNOT PLAY AMERICAN BASKETBALL OVERSEAS.

Even when we sent the dream team, they dominated by playing motion, hitting cutters and kicking the ball out for open threes. Post play has played almost no part in USA basketball. Really never has.

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat
    Name one dominant center that beat us up. Come on, just one.

They all shoot threes, lol.

Oh, and if you knew any history, you'd know that ewing, robinson, olajuwon mourning and even shaq couldn't dominate internationally either.
    1994 USA Men's World Championship Cumulative Statistics

NAME G
    FGM-FGA
    PCT
    3PM-3PA
    PCT
    FTM-FTA
    PCT
    REB/AVG
    PTS/AVG
    AT
    BK
    ST
    O'Neal8
    62- 87
    0- 4
    20- 38
    68/ 8.5
    144/ 18.0
    Miller8
    44- 73
    30- 57
    19- 20
    13/ 1.6
    137/ 17.1
    Wilkins8
    38- 67
    8- 21
    17- 22
    26/ 3.3
    101/ 12.6
    Dumars7
    33- 57
    16- 31
    6- 6
    10/ 1.4
    88/ 12.6
    Mourning8
    37- 54
    1- 3
    12- 17
    41/ 5.1
    87/ 10.9
    Price8
    25- 62
    19- 45
    8- 10
    20/ 2.5
    77/ 9.6
    Kemp8
    31- 45
    0- 1
    13- 26
    54/ 6.8
    75/ 9.4
    Majerle8
    23- 51
    15- 33
    9- 13
    18/ 2.3
    70/ 8.8
    Coleman8
    26- 38
    6- 10
    11- 13
    31/ 3.9
    69/ 8.6
    L. Johnson8
    20- 40
    2- 2
    7- 11
    41/ 5.1
    49/ 6.1
    K. Johnson8
    16- 34
    0- 2
    8- 9
    14/ 1.8
    40/ 5.0
    Smith8
    7- 20
    6- 13
    4- 8
    10/ 1.3
    24/ 3.0
    USA 8
    362-628
    103-222
    134-193
    346/ 43.3
    961/120.1
    OPP. 8
    237-541
    55-147
    130-175
    225/ 28.1
    659/ 82.4

Shaq couldn't dominant???? I searched and got the exact numbers since I don't know history maybe you'll trust another source.

Look at Shaq's numbers he shot 71% from the field, and averaged the most points. He lead the team dominating every single team he faced. That is when shaq really blew up, after that performance. Do you not remember those years?

Actually, shaq pretty much blew up the second he entered the NBA, but that's neither here nor there.....

we hit 103 three-pointers in 8 games. We averaged 12 threes per game. And you think we won it because of shaq averaging 18 and 8?

Shaq never posted up. A lot of his baskets came off of ball movement and good passes, which never whould have been possible without reggie Miller and Joe Dumars knocking down threes like they were going out of style. We didnt just dump it to shaq on the low block (which doesnt exist), and let him take his guy. SHaq only averaged 2-3 more shots per game than the rest of the rotation. He merely benefited from the threes we were knocking down.

Also, Shaq is the one guy that can actually score with three guys hanging on to his arms, because he's used to it rom the NBA.

Nobody outside of shaq has that kind of strength, though.

Euro Ball is all about team ... big me set more picks and screens than anything and are there to finish off plays ... the only time u dump it in is if u can garantee that they cant be double or the D will just hack the big guy to death! .... the big USA have put up there are all very mobile ... there quick guys and most of them can pass out well and shoot a 15 footer ... which is a lot more successful than a post move! .... im interested in the PG selections .... so much is placed on the PGs to set up offence ... u get it wrong and the team doesnt score! .... Paul is very well suited to this style game ... the reason AI isnt there is that he isnt very into setting up a half court plays...

The guys have to be willing to hold the ball on the perimiter and sacrifice body to set and go through screens! ... passing is ey .. and i think team USA has worked that out .... this squad is deffinitly a step in the right direction ...

^^ thats my 2 cents ... my opinions (not saying its fact) .... i find the difference between NBA and international basketball interesting as i play European basketball every week but i watch a lot more NBA stuff ... IMO the Bigs uhave there are better suited than a lot of the bigs that could have been picked ... certainly on the offensive end at least!
    'All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others.'
    Animal Farm, by George Orwell

Exactly.

Bosh is easily the best-suited big man we've had on team USA since 2000. I can easily see him winding up on the all-tournament team.

the only time u dump it in is if u can garantee that they cant be double or the D will just hack the big guy to death!
    I'm glad someone else besides me is echoing this.

You can reach in and hack all you want in the paint. Pretty much all contact in the post is legal if you're the defender. I wish we took advantage of that more, instead of allowing everyone else to use it against us.

Shooting and passing is how you win in FIBA. Every other aspect of basketball is a very distant second.