Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who will be starting at C next season?

ARTESTINMYHEART

Default Who will be starting at C next season?

Barring any more trades...who's going to be starting at Center next season? For a while I thought we might go with J.O.-Harrington-Granger-Jack-Tinsley but let's be realistic...an NBA season is 82 games long and to put Jermaine at Center the whole season would be unfair to him and this organization because wneed him healthy come play-off time.

Is Foster going to start at Center (if we don't trade him) and bring Harrison off the bench while playing with different line-ups during the mix of the games to play guys like Harrington at PF? Or...can Harrison come steal the starting C position early in the season? If we are going to run our faster-pace-offense...we would prob. have to put Foster up there @ C. What does everyone think?

Default Re: Who will be starting at C next season?

JO
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

ARTESTINMYHEART

Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    JO
    I doubt that will happen once the season starts.

Quote Originally Posted by ARTESTINMYHEART
    I doubt that will happen once the season starts.
    Why not? He's been playing center forever now

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Hahahahahahahahaha

JO
    STARBURY

08 and Beyond

ARTESTINMYHEART

Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood
    Why not? He's been playing center forever now
    Because his body can't take that for 82 games...especially if you have a small guy like Harrington starting at PF. He needs a body to help him...hopefully Harrison if he can learn to stop being in foul trouble every second.

Gamble

Haywood with donuts. No, wait thats the Wizards.

Because his body can't take that for 82 games...especially if you have a small guy like Harrington starting at PF. He needs a body to help him...hopefully Harrison if he can learn to stop being in foul trouble every second.
    Hicks said this somewhere else and I thought it made a lot of sense - a lighter, less bulky JO will probably have better luck with the injuries. I think JO tried to get too big and become something he's not.

Unless the Al deal falls apart, I think it will be JO. After that, I could see Rick benching Granger in favor of Al, and keeping Jeff in the starting lineup.

Hicks, has your head in your avatar been airbrushed?

Mood

JO is just way to soft to play center. Even in the watered down East he isnt strong enough to fill the lane.

Haywood
    Big Ben
    Shaq
    Howard
    Krstic
    JO
    Zydrunas
    Dalembert

Which name doesn't belong?
    STARBURY

08 and Beyond

ARTESTINMYHEART

Quote Originally Posted by Robertmto
    JO is just way to soft to play center. Even in the watered down East he isnt strong enough to fill the lane.

Haywood
    Big Ben
    Shaq
    Howard
    Krstic
    JO
    Zydrunas
    Dalembert

Which name doesn't belong?
    Soft? I wouldn't say that. Jermaine would abuse Krstic, Haywood, and Dalembert and he plays Big Ben, Howard, quite fine. Now Zydrunas, he just can't guard him because he's too big.

Mood

Soft? I wouldn't say that.
    Why not?

Jermaine would abuse Krstic
    Did you watch the playoffs?
    STARBURY

08 and Beyond

Jermaine soft

ARTESTINMYHEART

Why not?

Did you watch the playoffs?
    It wasn't Krstic that was guarding him. J.O. is a superior PF and C in this league. He certainly is a top 15 player and this year can put him back in the top 10 category.

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

IMO it is playing the 5 that causes JO to end up on the DL 1/2 way thru each season...bad idea IMO.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Our starting center should be Brenden Haywoode.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem

JO should start at C.

One thing that bringing Al onboard will allow the Pacers to do is rest JO more. They should do something like Phoenix does with Nash during the regular season, limiting him to like 35 min/game tops. They couldn't do this in the past because there's never been an inside scoring presence other than JO since Al left the first time, unless you count the 20 or so games Artest played over the last two years.

Say this is the starting lineup: Tinsley, Daniels, Granger, Harrington, O'Neal.
    Then at the 8 minute mark: Tinsley, Jackson, Granger, Harrington, Foster or Harrison.

There are still viable interior scoring options (Harrington, Harrison) in that lineup. In the past O'Neal would have played the entire first quarter then either Foster or Harrison and Croshere would have been in the frontcourt. Harrison could score, but was in foul trouble all the time.

This is the strategy I'd like to see Carlisle go for.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem
    QFT

And the Wizards wouldn't want much in return fo rhim either - just a contract (guard preferably) that would match.

Ruffin/Haywood for Jax works. Wiz would do this because they could move Caron to the 3 and start Jax at the 2. That woudl also make Jeffries expendable.
    STARBURY

08 and Beyond

JO is not really soft. He does not have the lower body strength to contend with a fairly large number of Centers in the league. Jeff Foster, a smallish center, even has a stronger lower body.

However, if you want to equate soft with injury prone I might agree. JO has proven to be injury prone. He needs to play around 80 games at a high level before my opinion changes.

1. JO is far from soft.
    2. In the playoffs, JO didn't play too well and it seemed like Kristic was playing better but that's all an illusion. Game 3.

Anyhow, I think JO and Jeff will be sharing the role as starting center.

Ruffin/Haywood for Jax works. Wiz would do this because they could move Caron to the 3 and start Jax at the 2. That woudl also make Jeffries expendable.
    I'm telling ya, man, Tinsley and Jack for Haywoode and Daniels. Have your people call my people.

If you don't feel it's fair, you could always throw in Jeffries to even it out.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

JO. I'll just copy what I posted in one of the Al threads:

I don't understand why everyone believes JO's a 4 and Foster is a 5? Is Foster any more physical than JO? Is Foster's lack of offence the deciding factor? Or is it because Foster plays the tougher matchup on D?

JO has typically been guarded by the opposing teams best post defender - regardless of their position. That will not change much. JO has typically guarded the opposing teams weakest scoring big. That will not change. The team is opting to go with Als offense in place of Fosters defence and rebounding. Because the 4 and 5 spot are interchangable on most teams, most matchups will stay the same, IMO. Shaq, Yao, and Z are the only centers that concern me with JO guarding them. Mismatches typically go both ways and none of those guys can guard JO either. We have a bench that can be used if necessary for those guys, but I woukd prefer that we make other teams matchup to us.

JO is the 2nd best center in the league. He would be the 4th or 5th best power forward in the league. So IMO, center is JO's best position. The key is finding a 4 that compliments him better. IMO Al fits that bill by taking some of the scoring load off of JO - making it harder to double him with the other big. It gives us another big to relieve JO in the post and / or someone to be a post option if JO is hurt, has an off game, or bad matchup. It should help makes us much less predictable on offence.

Obviously we still have issues I'd like to see addressed in the backcourt, but I believe fixing our froncourt rotation is an importanat issue as well. JO / Al / Granger - backedup by Foster / Harrison looks very good to me.

:gill:
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!