Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 173

Thread: Jay's AJ Rant (taken from the Kravitz thread)

  1. #1
    Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    44
    Posts
    17,000

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Kravitz} This team is making all the wrong moves

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This roster is better than fighting for the 8th seed. That's not reality.
    Is it? Right now, our backcourt is a lottery backcourt. And since that's where the ball starts they can also shut down our high-powered front court (just as AJ shut down O'Neal in the playoffs last spring.)

    Sorry, I don't buy the "this team is improved on paper and that will automatically show up in the standings argument."

    I'm not arguing that they've slipped from last season. I'm not even arguing that our top competition for slots 5-8 of the playoffs have drastically improved.

    But when you've got six or seven teams fighting for the last four playoff spots, weird things happen. Did anybody think last March that Philly would fall all the way out of the playoffs and Chicago would get in? Some did, some didn't. But that's what happens when you get into a crazy race with multiple tie-breakers.

    Saying "this team may be lottery-bound" is not that much different that saying, "this is about 0.500 team." A game or two under 0.500 and you're in the lottery. A game or two over 0.500 and you might have the #5 seed.

    (And while I know there is a slight advantage in being the #5 seed instead of the #8 seed it isn't that much of a difference.)
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you


  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Age
    29
    Posts
    5,941

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Kravitz} This team is making all the wrong moves

    Quote Originally Posted by Jay@Section204
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Is it? Right now, our backcourt is a lottery backcourt. And since that's where the ball starts they can also shut down our high-powered front court (just as AJ shut down O'Neal in the playoffs last spring.)

    Sorry, I don't buy the "this team is improved on paper and that will automatically show up in the standings argument."

    I'm not arguing that they've slipped from last season. I'm not even arguing that our top competition for slots 5-8 of the playoffs have drastically improved.

    But when you've got six or seven teams fighting for the last four playoff spots, weird things happen. Did anybody think last March that Philly would fall all the way out of the playoffs and Chicago would get in? Some did, some didn't. But that's what happens when you get into a crazy race with multiple tie-breakers.

    Saying "this team may be lottery-bound" is not that much different that saying, "this is about 0.500 team." A game or two under 0.500 and you're in the lottery. A game or two over 0.500 and you might have the #5 seed.

    (And while I know there is a slight advantage in being the #5 seed instead of the #8 seed it isn't that much of a difference.)


    How much does Ragnar pay you to keep bringing this up?

    You can blame AJ all you want, but he was doing everything he could to help the Pacers win. Im tired of hearing about how he lost us that game because he couldnt feed the post. If that's the case, he is just as much at fault as our other scrubs who couldnt get the job done, or better yet were to damn injured [again] to even be in the game

    ________________________________

    As for the topic at hand, I still think its to early to judge this team. I think having all back helps, but maybe not as much as some of you think he will, but our biggest need IMO is still fixing the "1" spot and getting a reliable starter, and if at all possible ridding ourselfs of Jackson

  3. #3
    Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    44
    Posts
    17,000

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Kravitz} This team is making all the wrong moves

    VA,

    Who do you want taking more shots in an elimination game? AJ or JO?

    There's a reason we lost, and AJ's inability to run the offense, and thus taking too many shots or giving the ball to JO 22-feet from the basket (and facing it) was a big contributor.

    In fact, just think how badly we would've lost if he wasn't shooting lights-out.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you


  4. #4
    Jimmy did what Jimmy did Bball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    20,127

    Default Re: Kravitz} This team is making all the wrong moves

    Quote Originally Posted by Jay@Section204
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    VA,

    Who do you want taking more shots in an elimination game? AJ or JO?

    There's a reason we lost, and AJ's inability to run the offense, and thus taking too many shots or giving the ball to JO 22-feet from the basket (and facing it) was a big contributor.

    In fact, just think how badly we would've lost if he wasn't shooting lights-out.
    Maybe he would've passed the ball more if he wasn't having the shooting performance of his life...

    Of course I don't think you've ever really explained (IOW, you have pounded it in hard enough) in your argument that if AJ is looking for his own points then he very well could be setting the -rest- of the team up with bad shots, rushed shots, out of position, etc (You seem to have focused that issue mainly on forcing JO out of the offense but there are other players too).... Which means even if HE (AJ) shot 70%, that doesn't mean a lack of offensive flow didn't cause other players to shoot less than their normal percentage.

    Sooooo... the emphassis in the counter argument has been AJ's great percentage meant he wasn't taking shots away from anyone that could've done better... But it could mean in looking for his own offense he failed to set up the other guys... and not just JO... and HURT their performance.

    And if that is the case then the point total should be down and/or the other players have a less than stellar shooting percentage themselves. ...Which I haven't looked at so I don't know...

    -Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

    ------

    "A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

    -John Wooden

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Age
    29
    Posts
    5,941

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Kravitz} This team is making all the wrong moves

    Quote Originally Posted by Jay@Section204
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    VA,

    Who do you want taking more shots in an elimination game? AJ or JO?

    There's a reason we lost, and AJ's inability to run the offense, and thus taking too many shots or giving the ball to JO 22-feet from the basket (and facing it) was a big contributor.

    In fact, just think how badly we would've lost if he wasn't shooting lights-out.
    Who do I want taking more shots? That depends on who is playing better for that game. Basketball is a game of adjustments, and is your backup point is having the game of his life, you find a way to get him the rock.

    I dont remember that series as well as some of you do, as a matter of fact I have tried to best to forget the last couple of seasons, but I seem to remember JO was not exactly having the best series of his career. Even when we had players who were able to feed him the rock, he wasnt exactly putting up "monster numbers".

    I do agree there is a reason we lost, and that reason is that TPTB handed J.T. the keys to this team, much like they did with Artest, and to top that off they got a "under-sized shooting guard who is in a point guards body" to back him up. We could talk about Runi or Freddie, but if you are going to ****** and moan about AJ not running the offense, then there is no point in even bringing up the other guards.

    Your last comment doesnt make sense to me. I realize you want to blame the loss on someone, and you have made it your mission for that person to be AJ, but I could use that statement with 10000 other games. Just think how badly we would have lost to the Lakers in 2000 in Croshere wouldnt have had such a great performance. You are supposed to keep feeding the guy who is hot, its not his fauly if he has absolutely no help.

  6. #6
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: Kravitz} This team is making all the wrong moves

    AJ shot something like 70%! Hell yes I want him taking the shots when he's that hot. If he'd cooled down and kept shooting, I'd have an issue with him, but the man was a flamethrower that night and did the exact right thing. He had the hot hand all night. Points were being put on the board for our team!

  7. #7
    Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    44
    Posts
    17,000

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Kravitz} This team is making all the wrong moves

    In Game #6, we had four assists (FOUR!) in the entire first half.

    Guess who (irony of all ironies) had three of those four assists? Stephen Jackson. (Fred had the other one.)

    Our ball movement in Game #6 was terrible. Johnson starting the game 5-6 with one turnover and no assists can be construed as (1) Fool's gold; and (2) a bad 'tone' to set in a key game.

    The rest of the team (excluding AJ and JO) shot 9-33 (27%).

    Our (lack of) PG play in Game #6 was the biggest reason we lost. Johnson's red-hot shooting just kept the score somewhat respectable.

    We had a total of twelve (12!!) assists in game six. During Games #1 through #5 we had a total of 95 assists (an average and median of 19, a standard deviation of only 1.2, and the next lowest single-game assist total was 18.)

    I don't know how anyone can argue in support of AJ taking so many shots as he did in Game #6. I guess you can argue that they should keep going to him while he's hot, but he was cooling off (3-6 on his last six shots) and he had not involved any of his teammates until it was too late.

    This is why I don't like shoot-first PGs... he did exactly what you don't want to have happen. In an elimination game.

    Maybe it was just me but as the fourth quarter progressed he seemed more interested in scoring 40 points than anything else.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you


  8. #8
    Headband and Rec Specs rexnom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    New Haven, CT
    Posts
    8,751

    Default Re: Kravitz} This team is making all the wrong moves

    Quote Originally Posted by Jay@Section204
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    In Game #6, we had four assists (FOUR!) in the entire first half.

    Guess who (irony of all ironies) had three of those four assists? Stephen Jackson. (Fred had the other one.)

    Our ball movement in Game #6 was terrible. Johnson starting the game 5-6 with one turnover and no assists can be construed as (1) Fool's gold; and (2) a bad 'tone' to set in a key game.

    The rest of the team (excluding AJ and JO) shot 9-33 (27%).

    Our (lack of) PG play in Game #6 was the biggest reason we lost. Johnson's red-hot shooting just kept the score somewhat respectable.

    We had a total of twelve (12!!) assists in game six. During Games #1 through #5 we had a total of 95 assists (an average and median of 19, a standard deviation of only 1.2, and the next lowest single-game assist total was 18.)

    I don't know how anyone can argue in support of AJ taking so many shots as he did in Game #6. I guess you can argue that they should keep going to him while he's hot, but he was cooling off (3-6 on his last six shots) and he had not involved any of his teammates until it was too late.

    This is why I don't like shoot-first PGs... he did exactly what you don't want to have happen. In an elimination game.

    Maybe it was just me but as the fourth quarter progressed he seemed more interested in scoring 40 points than anything else.
    I think the best argument is that NJ definitely did not expect him to be so hot. If he wasn't that hot, their plan would have worked perfectly and we would have been blown out. Instead, AJ kept hot and thus kept us in the game. Kudos on that to AJ on that but that doesn't mean that Jay doesn't have a point here.

  9. #9
    Jimmy did what Jimmy did Bball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    20,127

    Default Re: Kravitz} This team is making all the wrong moves

    Quote Originally Posted by Jay@Section204
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

    I don't know how anyone can argue in support of AJ taking so many shots as he did in Game #6. I guess you can argue that they should keep going to him while he's hot, but he was cooling off (3-6 on his last six shots) and he had not involved any of his teammates until it was too late.
    There's no problem as long as they are in the flow of the game and what the defense is giving us. But you're saying they weren't really in the flow of the game and it would appear you're using stats to back that up.

    I never bought the argument on its face that AJ shooting 70% for the game and going for 40 was a problem even if it did mean JO was less involved. But by making the picture bigger and showing the rest of the offense in its entirety stagnated makes a more compelling argument (for me anyway).

    I have to mention... I didn't get to see much of the game because I had a gig that night. So I appreciate the deeper analysis you just presented.

    I'm sure someone will now say AJ wasn't the reason the offense stagnated and we're lucky he could go for 40 on some deadeye shooting....

    But now Jay has my ear

    -Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

    ------

    "A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

    -John Wooden

  10. #10
    Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    44
    Posts
    17,000

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Kravitz} This team is making all the wrong moves

    Well, during the game I was more focused on "where" JO was getting the ball, not even "how often". Until the fourth quarter.

    And for the record, he usually had to step out to 20-plus feet and face the basket, and that's not JO's strong point.

    Late in the game, they put up a "shots attempted graphic" and as soon as the game was over I re-wound to watch it again.

    If you're New Jersey, anytime you can get the other team's PG to take almost twice as many shots as their "go-to" guy in an elimination game (23 vs. 14), you've won. And that's really the entire story, IMO.

    To get seven more points from AJ (and for the Pacers to win), he would've had to shoot 83% from the floor. That's even hotter than JO's Game #3 when he was 12-15 (80%).

    Contrast that with the game JO dominated with fewer shots, a higher FG%, and we actually won that game (fairly easily).

    Does anyone object if I move the AJ-related comments to its own thread?
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you


  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Age
    29
    Posts
    5,941

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Kravitz} This team is making all the wrong moves

    As I said, I never said AJ was not at fault. But he was hot, and I will never fault a man who is hot for taking shots.

    Of course, your whole argument bring up the point of having a "1" who is going to be a "pass first, shoot second" guard who is also able to feed the post (and not counting our rookies who I know as much about as the girl who I asked out at the bar last night) we dont have that guy on our squad. Tinsley would be great in that role, if he was actually able to suit up for the games.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay@Section204
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Thanks for the suggestion. Read the fine print.



    EDIT - GRACE ISN'T IGNORING ME!!
    It is not possible to ingore administrators or moderators

  12. #12
    Pacer Junky Will Galen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,049

    Default Re: Kravitz} This team is making all the wrong moves

    Quote Originally Posted by Jay@Section204
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    In Game #6, we had four assists (FOUR!) in the entire first half.

    Guess who (irony of all ironies) had three of those four assists? Stephen Jackson. (Fred had the other one.)

    Our ball movement in Game #6 was terrible. Johnson starting the game 5-6 with one turnover and no assists can be construed as (1) Fool's gold; and (2) a bad 'tone' to set in a key game.

    The rest of the team (excluding AJ and JO) shot 9-33 (27%).

    Our (lack of) PG play in Game #6 was the biggest reason we lost. Johnson's red-hot shooting just kept the score somewhat respectable.

    We had a total of twelve (12!!) assists in game six. During Games #1 through #5 we had a total of 95 assists (an average and median of 19, a standard deviation of only 1.2, and the next lowest single-game assist total was 18.)

    I don't know how anyone can argue in support of AJ taking so many shots as he did in Game #6. I guess you can argue that they should keep going to him while he's hot, but he was cooling off (3-6 on his last six shots) and he had not involved any of his teammates until it was too late.

    This is why I don't like shoot-first PGs... he did exactly what you don't want to have happen. In an elimination game.

    Maybe it was just me but as the fourth quarter progressed he seemed more interested in scoring 40 points than anything else.
    Good points Jay. For what it's worth I think you proved your argument!

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Age
    29
    Posts
    5,941

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Jay's AJ Rant (taken from the Kravitz thread)

    Wow, good job making this its own thread. I have no clue how you did it, but I'm impressed

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Lifelong Indy-area resident
    Age
    62
    Posts
    4,655

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Kravitz} This team is making all the wrong moves

    Quote Originally Posted by Jay@Section204
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Is it? Right now, our backcourt is a lottery backcourt. And since that's where the ball starts they can also shut down our high-powered front court (just as AJ shut down O'Neal in the playoffs last spring.)
    Jay, I agree that our backcourt, although it has a ton of depth, is weak.

    And, I think you know that I respect the hell out of 99% of your posts, and even usually agree with your opinion.

    But the statement about Aj in last year's playoffs is probably the lamest thing I've seen you post.

    Now, we can argue all day about AJ, but it really doesn't matter anymore. He's gone. But, I guess I just wonder what you would have wanted from your PG?

    AJ averaged 20 points, 5.2 rebounds, 5.0 assists and shot 51.7% from the field, including 40% from behind the arc.

    I know that stats never tell the whole story, but not many PGs in the league can compare to AJ's overall stats from the playoffs... not in their regular season stats and not in their playoff stats.

    When it comes to shots and scoring, the problem the Pacers had in the playoffs was NOT AJ shooting the ball too much, it was the remainder of his teammates not hitting enough shots.

    With AJ's overall effectiveness, if anything it would have been nice to see him be as selfish in games 1-5 as he was in game 6. If so, maybe we would have had a chance to advance.

    I really don't know how much more AJ could have done to prove himself to you. Heck, when Jordan averaged 30/5/5, everybody jumped on the bandwagon. Same thing when Pippen averaged 20+/5/5, folks jumped on the bandwagon. Everybody loved those players and what they provided for their teams.

    Why not AJ's 20/5/5?

  15. #15
    Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    44
    Posts
    17,000

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Jay's AJ Rant (taken from the Kravitz thread)

    Fine counterpoints.

    But your examples (maybe they weren't the best choices) of Jordan and Pippen - well they made their teammates better their team won.

    AJ did neither. We're not talking about a 40-point performance that won the game. We're talking about scoring a bunch of points in defeat while simulataneously limiting our "best" player's number of touches.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you


  16. #16
    Member Sollozzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    16,764

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Jay's AJ Rant (taken from the Kravitz thread)

    Quote Originally Posted by Jay@Section204
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Fine counterpoints.

    But your examples (maybe they weren't the best choices) of Jordan and Pippen - well they made their teammates better their team won.

    AJ did neither. We're not talking about a 40-point performance that won the game. We're talking about scoring a bunch of points in defeat while simulataneously limiting our "best" player's number of touches.

    I don't care who it is, if a guy can hit 16-23 shots, you let him take the shots. I could care less if it's Boomer or Reggie taking the shots.

    AJ is supposed to be a second tier player anyway. AJ stepped up to the plate when called upon, and stepped up well.

    You keep pointing out over and over that AJ's performance severely limited JO's shot attempts, but I don't see it. JO had 14 attempts in game 6. That's what he averaged in the series. JO averaged just under 16 attempts during his 51 game season. So he had about a shot and a half less than his season average.

    The more shots JO takes, the worse his percentages get. He shot a putrid 77/211 in the 05 playoffs. That's a solid 36.4% average. He shot 115/272 in the 04 playoffs for a 42 percent average. Those aren't great averages for a PF/C.

    You seem to want JO to get touches like Shaq did in the prime of his career. JO unfortunately doesn't have Shaq-like percentages.

    JO is a better fit from the team when he shoots for about 20-22 points. He's not a guy who you can consistantly count on to get you games in the 30's, but that's what it appears that he is always trying to do. Therefore, other guys have to deliver. Anthony Johnson delivered. Why would you stray away from a player that hot? Lot's of guys have had huge playoff performances in losing efforts. Someone has to lose.

  17. #17

    Default Re: Jay's AJ Rant (taken from the Kravitz thread)

    There was never really any consistency with our ability, as a team, to get the ball to JO. I happen to think that many things factored into that - such as just plain bad fundamentals from people like Jax, AJ, and so forth; we didn't really have any 3-pt threat which allowed more pressure on JO from more defenders, even before he got the ball; and lastly, the Nets played JO perfectly. If JO doesn't make his first few shots and doesn't get the first few calls, he is a different player the rest of the game. Cliff Robinson and company pushed JO off the block many, many times. How many offensive fouls do you remember being called on JO for just posting up? For a playoff series, there was a lot.

    Yea, I'm sure AJ's shots had something to do with it. But I don't think he would defy Carlisle or the offense on purpose. Like I said, we really had no 3-pt threat, so it was easy for defenders to lay off the post feeder, which often times was AJ, resulting in an open jumper.

    Furthermore, its not very logical to ever blame one aspect or one player for a whole series (or game) loss, especially when the aspect you are blaming is a 40 point performance. Many, many factors contributed in JO not getting the ball, and many, many factors contributed in the loss. We could never make enough key stops and could never hit key shots, besides game 1. Vince Carter and Richard Jefferson were waaaaay too athletic for us, and when you have Krstic just draining that open jumper, your chances are very limited. I think it is pretty absurd to say that AJ shooting more shots at above 50% was the cause of the Pacers loss.
    This is only my opinion. Please hold it against me.

  18. #18
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,738

    Default Re: Kravitz} This team is making all the wrong moves

    Quote Originally Posted by Jay@Section204
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Maybe it was just me but as the fourth quarter progressed he seemed more interested in scoring 40 points than anything else.
    For what it's worth, I thought the same thing.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  19. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Lifelong Indy-area resident
    Age
    62
    Posts
    4,655

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Jay's AJ Rant (taken from the Kravitz thread)

    Quote Originally Posted by Jay@Section204
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Fine counterpoints.

    But your examples (maybe they weren't the best choices) of Jordan and Pippen - well they made their teammates better their team won.

    AJ did neither. We're not talking about a 40-point performance that won the game. We're talking about scoring a bunch of points in defeat while simulataneously limiting our "best" player's number of touches.
    Come on, Jay. Jermaine is a CAREER 46.5% FG shooter. He has never shot 50% in a season.

    And you are concerned because in AJ's last 6 shots he shot a paltry 50%?

    In Game 6, AJ shot 3-for-5 from behind the arc... 60 F'n percent!!! For the game, in all FG attempts, he shot 70%. Again, the problem was not that AJ was making his shots. The problem was that his teammates were missing theirs.

    Remember when we had Reggie? Nearly all of us on the forum absolutely hated it when Reggie would be absolutely torching the other team in the first quarter, and the coach, whether Brown, Bird or Thomas, would predictably take him out of the game at about the 8:00 mark.

    We would then watch the opponent take a big bite out of our lead, and eventually catch up early in the second quarter while Reggie was still sitting on the bench.

    The point many of us made was that you do not take your hot shooter out of the game, no matter who he is. You leave him in, and you ride that horse until his shots start hitting the front of the rim, indicating that his legs are tiring a bit and he needs a breather.

    In game 6, the same was true for AJ. Only this time, the coach was smart enough to leave his hot hand alone. And, his shots just kept going in.

    Now, as much as I hat Iverson, Rose or even Bonzi, if they were wearing our uniform I would yell for the coach to do the same thing. Keep them on the court until their shots start falling short, and keep feeding them the ball.

    Now, on the other side of the coin, I agree with you that once AJ hit the mid 30s that he was looking for 40. However, when he continues hitting 1/2 or more of his shots, I can't really fault him. No one else was finding the ocean, let alone the basket.

    And, in light of the fact that his teammates were so prolific at missing shots, I find it amazing that AJ was still able to post 5 assists out of the team's 12.

    If you think Jermaine needed more shots, then I have an excellent way that he could have gotten them. Rather than taking the shots away from AJ, maybe Jermaine should have gotten his arse under the boards and gathered in more than the meager 6 that he posted in nearly 40 minutes.

    Now that is the statistic that I find truly pathetic from your star player in an elimination game.

  20. #20
    Pacer Junky Will Galen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,049

    Default Re: Kravitz} This team is making all the wrong moves

    Quote Originally Posted by beast23
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

    When it comes to shots and scoring, the problem the Pacers had in the playoffs was NOT AJ shooting the ball too much, it was the remainder of his teammates not hitting enough shots.
    And Jay's point in a nutshell was AJ was not getting the other players the ball where they could be the most effective with it. That's the point guards job!

    For instant Mark Jackson always hit Reggie the split second he cleared the screen. When we first got Tins he was holding the ball a second to long before passing it to Reggie, thus the defense had time to catch up.

    AJ did do his job scoring wise, but he failed to get the ball to players where they could be most effective.

  21. #21
    flexible and robust SoupIsGood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Lappy Go Hucky
    Age
    26
    Posts
    17,540

    Default Re: Kravitz} This team is making all the wrong moves

    Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

    AJ did do his job scoring wise, but he failed to get the ball to players where they could be most effective.
    Thank you! This is it in a nutshell for me.

    You can't fault AJ though. Fault whatever put him in that position. He upped his game and did his best to help his team.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

  22. #22

    Default Re: Jay's AJ Rant (taken from the Kravitz thread)

    Beast,

    I think the question is: was the quality of the shots the rest of the team received diminished because AJ had the ball in his hands and looked primarily to set up himself? Is it possible that the other players could not get in a grove because AJ was breaking plays and effectively freezing them out? You admitted that it appeared AJ was going after 40 at some point, don't you believe that is an issue? even if he hit 50%? Remember this was a playoff game - the last game of the Pacers season.

    I haven't rewatched the game and I'm not sure if I buy Jay's theory. I do know that I've played in leagues and pick up games where I forced the action and played poorly strictly because I did not fill like part of the offense. And I've never been a scorer. As fragile as the Pacers chemistry (or lack of) has been, I won't dismiss the possibility that a journeyman PG satisfying a personal grudge (that is why he played so well, he wouldn't do that to any other team) would effect his teammates overall games.


    Edit: what Will said ^

  23. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Age
    29
    Posts
    5,941

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Kravitz} This team is making all the wrong moves

    Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Thank you! This is it in a nutshell for me.

    You can't fault AJ though. Fault whatever put him in that position. He upped his game and did his best to help his team.
    That is exactly what I have been saying all day.

    I am just going to list you two as my spokesperson, that way I can just sit around and do nothing on my off days.....oh wait, that is all I have been doing

  24. #24
    Member Mr.ThunderMakeR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Phoenix
    Posts
    1,094

    Default Re: Jay's AJ Rant (taken from the Kravitz thread)

    My memory of this series is starting to fade a little (thankfully!), but I remember that pretty much the whole team went out on the court that night to lose. AJ looked like the only player out there that was actually competing.

    As for AJ taking JO out of the game, I find that hard to believe. If he is truly a 20 mil/yr player then he should always be able to keep himself involved in the game. The truth is JO had a terrible series and got outplayed by Krstic. The only person to blame for that is JO.

    If you want to blame AJ for the game six loss, who are you going to blame for the other three games that we lost that all counted just as much towards our elimination?

    edited for grammar

  25. #25
    Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Venice, CA
    Posts
    9,690

    Default Re: Jay's AJ Rant (taken from the Kravitz thread)

    I have yet to hear a reasonable explanation of AJ's 5 assists despite his teammate's inability to hit the side of a barn. He was dishing like crazy, he teammates WERE OPEN MUCH OF THE TIME AND MISSING, and still he racks up a respectable 5 assists.

    Anyway, when you are the best performing player on a given night, you automatically receive credit if you win and blame if you lose. It's a phenomenon that is as predictable as Old Faithful, and just as boring.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •