Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bruno's QotD: With Johnson Gone, Who’s The Point Guard?

Default Bruno's QotD: With Johnson Gone, Who’s The Point Guard?

http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/question_060725.html

Q. When I recently heard that the Pacers agreed to trade Anthony Johnson for Darrell Armstrong, Josh Powell, and Rawle Marshall many questions jumped into my head, but one stood out. Who is going to start at point guard? In my opinion, there aren't many options left. The free agent market is extremely short on point guards, Jamaal Tinsley could start if necessary but the ideal thing to do would be to trade for one. The Pacers have been active this offseason but everyone they have gained (except Armstrong) is a forward. I know that they want to get more athletic and want to look like more of a Phoenix or Dallas. The only problem is both those teams have very good starting point guards. What do you see the Pacers doing about this problem? (From Oakley in Freeland, Wash.)

A. The manifestation of the changing face and pace of the Indiana roster is most evident at point guard. Though Anthony Johnson and Eddie Gill have departed, there actually is more depth and flexibility at the position than last season. Marquis Daniels played quite a bit of point guard in Dallas and figures into the rotation here. James White is comfortable at any of the three perimeter positions, including the point. Darrell Armstrong can provide 10-12 minutes of energy per night. An overlooked acquisition was the waiver claim of young Orien Greene, a backup with the Celtics last season. Though raw, he is regarded as an exceptional athlete with strong defensive skills.

Johnson exemplified the way the Pacers played the past two seasons because his skills we well-suited for the style. He was solid in the halfcourt, didn't make mistakes, hit open shots when they came his way and played quality defense against bigger guards. But with the shift toward a quicker tempo and more athletic style, Johnson didn't fit as well as Daniels, White, Greene – or even Armstrong who, at 38, still plays with relentless aggression.

The question of depth addressed, what remains to be seen is if the franchise still has faith in Tinsley as the starter. Though fans rightfully question his ability to do the work necessary to remain healthy -- and Tinsley has much to prove in this area -- there's another way to look at this. If Tinsley was on another team, he'd be precisely the kind of player the Pacers would be looking to acquire because he has a great deal of talent that has yet gone unrealized. And don't forget about Sarunas Jasikevicius, who endured a disappointing rookie season. Both Tinsley and Jasikevicius are much more comfortable playing at a faster tempo, and the philosophical shift should benefit both.

At the moment, then, the Pacers have Tinsley at the top of the depth chart, backed by Jasikevicius. Should either falter, there are is no shortage of options. Even with his injury history, Tinsley is better than any available free agent. Acquiring a point guard in trade can be very difficult because of the value placed on the position. This is not to say the Donnie Walsh and Larry Bird aren't examining all of their options; it is to say that, should nothing better evolve, the Pacers have no reason to panic about their point guard situation.

Default Re: Bruno's QotD: With Johnson Gone, Who’s The Point Guard?

Quote Originally Posted by jjbjjbjjb
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This is not to say the Donnie Walsh and Larry Bird aren't examining all of their options; it is to say that, should nothing better evolve, the Pacers have no reason to panic about their point guard situation.
    Very good quote right here, and it's probably the way that Bird and Walsh are looking at it.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

This should be fun.

Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

If Tinsley was on another team, he'd be precisely the kind of player the Pacers would be looking to acquire because he has a great deal of talent that has yet gone unrealized.
    What a load of s..............pin.
    "I'll always be a part of Donnie Walsh."
    -Ron Artest, Denver Post, 12.28.05

Acquiring a point guard in trade can be very difficult because of the value placed on the position.
    Well then why did we give one away for a box of rocks?
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

so we could throw the rocks at tins when he gets injured again ... sounds good to me!

EDIT: Dont get me wrong i want Tins starting and hope he stays fit... just not sure i could take annother injury ... soooo frustrating!
    'All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others.'
    Animal Farm, by George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by jjbjjbjjb
    A. The manifestation of the changing face and pace of the Indiana roster is most evident at point guard. Though Anthony Johnson and Eddie Gill have departed, there actually is more depth and flexibility at the position than last season. Marquis Daniels played quite a bit of point guard in Dallas and figures into the rotation here. James White is comfortable at any of the three perimeter positions, including the point. Darrell Armstrong can provide 10-12 minutes of energy per night. An overlooked acquisition was the waiver claim of young Orien Greene, a backup with the Celtics last season. Though raw, he is regarded as an exceptional athlete with strong defensive skills.
    I don't really want to have to rely on someone who can play point guard. I want someone who is a point guard.

IndyToad
    With furious anger

Vali

Id say we should give the Tinman one more year if he doesnt improve his number of games played then i say that we trade him for a big body up front because this team is still a little thin there

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Vali
    Id say we should give the Tinman one more year if he doesnt improve his number of games played then i say that we trade him for a big body up front because this team is still a little thin there
    I thought he was getting "one more year" last off season......

Its like dealing with Artest all over again. If we give him a chance maybe he will change.....

Vali

Or maybe wait till his value is a little bit higher cause lower than now it cant be...

"Both Tinsley and Jasikevicius are much more comfortable playing at a faster tempo"

You can make the case for Tinsley but SLOWrunus, though maybe comfortable, will be EVEN MORE COMICAL in a faster game.

SLOW is not comfortable with FAST

This is a joke: you trade your one prove point guard for a 38 year old and choose to rely on a habitually injured PUNK who can't consistently make an 8 footer and an embarrassment on the defensive end who can't bring the ball up.

Great

Quote Originally Posted by v_d_g
    "Both Tinsley and Jasikevicius are much more comfortable playing at a faster tempo"

You can make the case for Tinsley but SLOWrunus, though maybe comfortable, will be EVEN MORE COMICAL in a faster game.
    Not true
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Quote Originally Posted by v_d_g

SLOW is not comfortable with FAST

This is a joke: you trade your one prove point guard for a 38 year old and choose to rely on a habitually injured PUNK who can't consistently make an 8 footer and an embarrassment on the defensive end who can't bring the ball up.

Great
    Nash is somewhat slow and a defensive liability. Has he been "comical in a faster game?"

A faster tempo is all about putting players in situations where the opposing defense is out of position to some extent. Something that Tins and Saras would both benefit from.

While it would be great if we could land an ideal starter this offseason, there is very little available on the free agent or trade markets who would fit our needs. Giving Tins a final chance in a style that is more suited to him, could help him gain trade value, since he cant really lose any more at this stage.

An opportunity will arise to get a better fit at that position and then LB/DW should know where they stand with the rest of the core and the teams needs.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by AnotherBirdCreation
    Nash is somewhat slow and a defensive liability. Has he been "comical in a faster game?"
    Nash is slow?

STARBURY

08 and Beyond

woman without a team

Quote Originally Posted by Robertmto
    Nash is slow?

Maybe not now that he's an anorexic baldy.

Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood
    Not true
    How can a player execute a running game when the only way he can bring the ball up under pressure is by defensively dribbling with his back to the basket?
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

So Carlise is going to let Tinsley run some of the plays himself or will Carlise learn to call the plays out really, really quickly?

Its nice to have two guards that could thrive in an uptempo game, if you have a coach that has any history of running that style of offense.

In short, it ain't gonna work.

i dont think that the run and gun game is ment to be our primary offence ... from what i can tell from interview etc is that we just want to be able/ have the abitily to run off a missed shot or a steel etc. if we can ... we will still set up half court plays quite a lot ... were not gunna be phenix ... probably not even as aopen as Dallas ... just hve the ability to run at slow teams and keep up with quick teams! .... from what i can see its about flexability rather than a complete style change!

Just what i gathered!
    'All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others.'
    Animal Farm, by George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by Jose Slaughter
    So Carlise is going to let Tinsley run some of the plays himself or will Carlise learn to call the plays out really, really quickly?

Its nice to have two guards that could thrive in an uptempo game, if you have a coach that has any history of running that style of offense.

In short, it ain't gonna work.
    How long can it take to say "throw it into JO"? You could develop a signal for it to try and conceal the playcalling a bit but why bother if that's your only play anyway?

Hey Maybe that's how the 'new' offense will be quicker... Just do that everytime. No need to call it, just do it! Head down the court... JO gets down on the block... and then throw him the ball.

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by DisplacedKnick
    How can a player execute a running game when the only way he can bring the ball up under pressure is by defensively dribbling with his back to the basket?
    Walking the ball up the court is a LOT harder with defensive pressure, than running the ball.

A mediocore ball handler can run down the court, not having to switch hands or do any moves, to evade a defender but will struggle if you tell them to walk the ball up.

If you're brining the ball up slowly, the defender can use his hands a lot more actively, and force the ball handler to shield or perform some type of move.

Now for the next obvious question: Why didn't he run the ball up last year then?

Because it would of been pointless. He would of gotten to his spot before his teammates would have been ready. It's even harder to stand in one place and hold off a defender, than it is walking. So he's deficiences would have been magnified while waiting for his teammates to get in the proper position.

Quote Originally Posted by blanket
    What a load of s..............pin.

yet totally on target.

Quote Originally Posted by indytoad
    I don't really want to have to rely on someone who can play point guard. I want someone who is a point guard.

IndyToad
    With furious anger
    Well that sure wasn't AJ then.

Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood
    Not true
    Not even close to true.
    I think he'd be pretty darn good taking the outlet pass and making the attack pass. As will Tins.

Quote Originally Posted by AnotherBirdCreation
    haha
    you cant compare nash and runi.
    i hope runi bows up, but i wouldnt hold my breath.
    1 - 2, Tinsley's coming for you.
    3 - 4, You're not a team no more.
    5 - 6, He's gonna plead the 5th.
    7 - 8, He's gonna stay out late.