Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are we going to use our MLE/LLE?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Are we going to use our MLE/LLE?

Even after the Al deal, we should still have both of these available to us. Obviously, we need help in the backcourt, as a frontourt rotation of JO, Al, Danny, Hulk, Foster, & Williams is pretty solid, not to mention whether we keep Powell and/or Marshall.

Our PG situation, obviously, is very flimsy. If I see us logging Armstrong major minutes, I'm going to . If Tins stays healthy, however, we should be fine. But that's a HUGE if.

Our SG situation may be okay. Quis is a terrific back-up, and I think Jack may be a little better this year with Al and Armstrong here to help keep him in line. And y'all know how I feel about Jack, but with these two here, I'm willing to give him one last chance. If they can't keep Jack under control, nobody can.

Still, I'd like to see us use these to strengthen or backcourt a bit. Are there any players out there right now that would be worth looking at?

Default Re: Are we going to use our MLE/LLE?

The toughest thing is... until we know how Tinsley pans out this year we won't know whether our biggest weakness is lacking a "true" point guard or a "true" shooter. If Tinsley stays healthy and plays to his potential, we should go after a shooter. Otherwise...

I don't think so. I'm actually fine with what we have at every position but PG.

C - JO, Harrison
    PF - Al, Foster
    SF - Granger, Williams
    SG - Quis, White

I guess Saras is ok at back-up PG, but we really need a starting PG and we really need to trade Jax and Tins.

I don't think using the mle/lle helps us do any of that... so we prolly won't use it.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

We definitely need to upgrade our backcourt, even if that only means replacing Saras with a more reliable backup, for the not-if-but-when times when Tinsley breaks down.

Although I think we'd have better luck finding someone to fill that role via trade (Brevin Knight?), here are some remaining FA PGs:
    - Chucky Atkins
    - Jannero Pargo
    - Tony Delk

Other guards:
    - Bonzi Wells (ahem.)
    - Eddie House
    - James Posey (did he opt out of his contract with Miami?)
    - Dermarr Johnson
    - DeShawn Stevenson

Most of the better remaining FAs are forwards, so I could see us trading Foster or perhaps Harrison in order to improve our PG situation, then sign one of the FA forwards like Reggie Evan, Melvin Ely, Lorenzen Wright, Antonio Davis, Kelvin Cato, or perhaps Keith Van Horn.
    "I'll always be a part of Donnie Walsh."
    -Ron Artest, Denver Post, 12.28.05

Melvin Ely has always been on my list. Now Eddie House is interesting a Ben Gordon-lite .. Perhaps he and James White would fit well in the backourt off the bench.

Why Not Us ?

Signing James Posey for the MLE would be a dream come true. Perfect Danny Granger back-up.

We'd probably have to do a S&T for him though since we're so jammed up at the 3 already. I'd say Jax or Tins just because I want both gone, but they'd be going to the Heat and that'd do nothing but hurt our chances to win. So, who knows.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

James Posey would be fine pick up. Defense, outside shooting, good tude, knows what it takes. Sign me up.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Jay Ohh

We'd better at least TRY and get Bonzi while he's out there.

I'd be fine with Eddie House, Chucky Atkins or Kareem Rush too. We need some guys that address a specific need. All of them do. Mainly Atkins, because he's a really good shooter, and a PG.

Talking Re: Are we going to use our MLE/LLE?

Seems like everyone wants JO to be our center. If they have their way, JO will be on the bench with something broke or tore. by the first of the year if not sooner. He cannot take the abuse that goes on under the basket. That is my thoughts. Fire away

There's really not a whole lot left on the FA market that is going to make a big difference. I'd be up for Kareem Rush or Eddie House, but I feel like it's our starting backcourt that needs upgrading, not the bench. I have a feeling we won't do much else for the summer and we'll re-evaluate at the trade deadline. The "restoration" process could very well carry over to next summer.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Ohh
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We'd better at least TRY and get Bonzi while he's out there.

I'd be fine with Eddie House, Chucky Atkins or Kareem Rush too. We need some guys that address a specific need. All of them do. Mainly Atkins, because he's a really good shooter, and a PG.
    I haven't seen enough of House to comment on him.

Atkins has attitude problems and is a SG in a PG's body.

Rush's defense is beyond terrible, and his shooting is very sporadic.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by tdubb03
    Signing James Posey for the MLE would be a dream come true. Perfect Danny Granger back-up.

We'd probably have to do a S&T for him though since we're so jammed up at the 3 already. I'd say Jax or Tins just because I want both gone, but they'd be going to the Heat and that'd do nothing but hurt our chances to win. So, who knows.
    Trade our starting SG and PG for ANOTHER SF?!

I'd love to get Eddie House. Oh man would that be perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Shade
    I haven't seen enough of House to comment on him.

Atkins has attitude problems and is a SG in a PG's body.

Rush's defense is beyond terrible, and his shooting is very sporadic.
    ----------------------------------------------------------

Trade our starting SG and PG for ANOTHER SF?!
    Not AND, or. I didn't think it'd be that popular.

Putting aside that Miami wouldn't do it, Jax for Posey's not bad. Allows Daniels to be the starting 2 and gives us a guy who can legitimately back-up the 2 and 3 spots. I'm not sure how much TPTB are planning on playing James White, so I agree it'd bring up some issues with playing time. And Shawne Williams, I think, is the next Jonathan Bender.

And Shawne Williams, I think, is the next Jonathan Bender.
    ?

Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood
    ?
    Not the injury part (hopefully). Just the "unlimited potential and flashes of brilliance" but turning into a bust part.

Not the injury part (hopefully). Just the "unlimited potential and flashes of brilliance" but turning into a bust part.
    He's only 20 and since he has not played one NBA game, I can see how you would come to that conclusion. Are you really serious ? Please let's be reasonable.

Why Not Us ?

Just a gut feeling? Or..?

And he doesn't really have unlimited potential

I'd love to get Ely, but Charlotte won't let him sign elsewhere and get nothing in return. The restricted thing's really screwing him because he blew up this year, but provided Okafor and May are healthy, his PT will go down by default.

Talentwise, Posey'd be really nice to have. But even after getting a ring, the character questions from Memphis are a red flag.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

James Posey is staying with the Heat, you can cross his name off your list. I believe he didn't opt out, but I know he's not available

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    James Posey is staying with the Heat, you can cross his name off your list. I believe he didn't opt out, but I know he's not available
    You're right. I was wondering why I hadn't heard his name come up before.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Slade
    He's only 20 and since he has not played one NBA game, I can see how you would come to that conclusion. Are you really serious ? Please let's be reasonable.
    I agree. He played one game and looked really raw. Not untalented mind you, just easily suckered into things.

By comparison James White was the one tricking other players and showing the saavy of experience. So immediately there was a sense of "White good, Williams bust", but they aren't the same situations.

And even with that in mind, the dude pulled down TEN rebounds in just under 30 minutes, and knocked out 3 assists. Granger played just over 3 times the minutes and only had 15 total rebounds this summer. Harrison only had 12 in 48 min.

Williams could actually have a more upside and helps the team in a different area too (PF-SF). Sure Williams might not show much right off, but give him a season or two to develop and let's talk. If he pulls down 5 rebounds in 15 mpg in the meantime then so much the better.

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth
    I agree. He played one game and looked really raw. Not untalented mind you, just easily suckered into things.

By comparison James White was the one tricking other players and showing the saavy of experience. So immediately there was a sense of "White good, Williams bust", but they aren't the same situations.

And even with that in mind, the dude pulled down TEN rebounds in just under 30 minutes, and knocked out 3 assists. Granger played just over 3 times the minutes and only had 15 total rebounds this summer. Harrison only had 12 in 48 min.

Williams could actually have a more upside and helps the team in a different area too (PF-SF). Sure Williams might not show much right off, but give him a season or two to develop and let's talk. If he pulls down 5 rebounds in 15 mpg in the meantime then so much the better.
    Right, also he has only played one year at Memphis so he's not your typical 20 year old with 2 years of College experience. He played on a deep team, and played a few different positions so , he is still now probably coming into his own. I have no problem bringing him along slowly and let him develop.

Back on Topic.. I think Ely's name will start to come up more and more as the offseason progresses.

Why Not Us ?

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Ely is the only guy I see as a serious consideration.

As was said, the team has a bench, they don't need more bench at this point. If they end up lacking it will be in starting 5 firepower, depending on Danny and Tinsley I think. Both could provide some pop that fans aren't yet really expecting. People are up on Granger, but not like Peja impact, at least not next season. If DG did bring it at a surprise level that would solve problems, and so would a freaky-deaky Tinsley tossing out 7-8 dimes and dropping 10-12 ppg instead of warming the bench in his streets.

haloguy

Our team is a mess right now. I have no idea what they plan to do. JO isnt a center, he specifically said he was going to slim down to play pf better. But with al, we got another pf. At small forward we have about 200 people. Then or backcourt isnt too great. not good

Quote Originally Posted by haloguy
    Our team is a mess right now. I have no idea what they plan to do. JO isnt a center, he specifically said he was going to slim down to play pf better. But with al, we got another pf. At small forward we have about 200 people. Then or backcourt isnt too great. not good
    What does that have to do with anything in this thread, or the subject?
    If you have point great, let's just please stay on the same page.

Why Not Us ?