Thread: Al Trade Question

Default Al Trade Question

It sounds like everyone is saying the deal is TE + Cash/draft pick. If it is indeed a draft pick, do you really think its worth it? That would be basically saying:

Peja + Draft pick for Al. or
    Ron + Draft pick for Al.

Is Al worth this? And with the strong drafts coming, can we really afford to give up a #1 with management drafting soundly in the past 3 years? If we give up a 1st round draft pick, I doubt I can be happy about this trade because I feel that we could have traded Ron for Al last year straight up and maybe gain a 2nd rounder out of it.

Default Re: Al Trade Question

Ron had to go because he was a malignant tumor on the face of the franchise.

Peja got an incredible offer we wisely didn't compete with.

If the choices are:

1) lose Ron/Peja and get nothing
    2) lose Ron/Peja and get Al but give up known quality NBA players
    3) lose Ron/Peja and get Al but give up money or a draft pick
    4) lose Ron/Peja and get Al but give up absolutely nothing

Then choice 4 is best.
    Choice 3 is far better than choices 1 & 2, though, so I can certainly live with it.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

Hall of Famers FrenchConnection's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Think about it this way. If we were to draft a guy in the 15-20 range and have him turn out to be a player like Al, it would be considered a good draft choice.

Trading Ron for an empty soda can is a good deal.

If we can turn Ron into Peja, and then in turn into Al (without giving up a 1st rounder), I say kudos. Kudos!

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Wow, you could link that back pretty far if you wanted to.

MarkJackson+draftpick = Al

Quote Originally Posted by Horseman872
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It sounds like everyone is saying the deal is TE + Cash/draft pick. If it is indeed a draft pick, do you really think its worth it? That would be basically saying:

Peja + Draft pick for Al. or
    Ron + Draft pick for Al.

Is Al worth this? And with the strong drafts coming, can we really afford to give up a #1 with management drafting soundly in the past 3 years? If we give up a 1st round draft pick, I doubt I can be happy about this trade because I feel that we could have traded Ron for Al last year straight up and maybe gain a 2nd rounder out of it.
    The alternative is getting nothing in return for Ron/Peja, so yes, it is worth including a draft pick, if necessary. Especially if it has lottery protection.

Anyone we're likely to draft wouldn't contribute for years, most likely, and our window with JO is just a few more years.
    "I'll always be a part of Donnie Walsh."
    -Ron Artest, Denver Post, 12.28.05

TE + Pick is EASILY worth it. It's nuts to me that some people aren't sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    TE + Pick is EASILY worth it. It's nuts to me that some people aren't sure.
    Agreed. But what's really awesome is that I don't even think we're going to have to give up a 1st Rounder. I'm convinced that Atlanta's ownership and financial situation is so out of whack that they have no concern the on-the-court future of this basketball team right now. I think we're going to be shocked at how little we give up. It may be the TE and a Shawn Kemp rookie card.
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

Follow my twitter:

@8pts9secs

Somebody should dig up the threads around the trading deadline this year where people talked about getting Al back for Ron. I would say 75% were in favor of it.

All else being equal, if I could have only one of Ron, Al or Peja on the Pacers right now, it would be Al. And I loved Ron. It was just time for him to go.

Quote Originally Posted by RSmits
    It was just time for him to go.
    Beyond time.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Mac_Daddy
    Wow, you could link that back pretty far if you wanted to.

MarkJackson+draftpick = Al
    Even further back than that...Eric Piatkowski + draft pick = Al. Now that looks REALLY good!

At the time, I think people might have shied away from Al because he was on the last year of his contract and could bail for money we wouldn't pay him. Now that he's ours until we're sick of him , I think it's easier for most fans to get on board.

I think the best way to think about this is we traded Piatkowski (our #1 pick one year) and I believe Pooh Richardson for Al Harrington.

Pooh Richardson traded to Clips for Mark Jackson
    Mark Jackson traded to Nuggets for Jalen Rose
    Jalen Rose traded to Chicago for Ron Artest
    Ron Artest traded to Kings for Peja Stojakovic
    Peja traded to Hornets for $7.5 mil trade exception
    $7.5 mil trade exception traded for Al Harrington.

Thus Pooh Richardson was traded for Al Harrington. Sounds like we got the best part of those deals after all was said and done. And I know that there were other players involved but these are the ones that turned out to be the major players in all of the above transactions. So try to see the cup as half full, OK?
    Two=the number 2
    Too=means "also"
    To=many definitions-also known as the one to use when the other 2 (two, too) do not apply.

Their=shows ownership-'it is their house'
    They're=they are
    There=many definitions-also known as the one to use when the other 2 (their, they're) do not apply

Sorry but it bugs me when these are used incorrectly when I read posts on PacersDigest.com.

Quote Originally Posted by JayRedd
    I think we're going to be shocked at how little we give up. It may be the TE and a Shawn Kemp rookie card.
    Autographed?..... I heard
    "He wanted to get to that money time. Time when the hardware was on the table. That's when Roger was going to show up. So all we needed to do was stay close"
    Darnell Hillman (Speaking of former teammate Roger Brown)

At the time, I think people might have shied away from Al because he was on the last year of his contract and could bail for money we wouldn't pay him. Now that he's ours until we're sick of him , I think it's easier for most fans to get on board.

Factor in BIG that he left because he wanted to be 'the man'. He found out it isn't all that great on a crappy team and now he WANTS to come back here. KNOWING he'll always be second fiddle to Jermaine. Given his other positive attributes, getting him back NOW, with a more mature attitude, is pure gold. Wouldn't have thought it possible.

Judging by the way he went out and the current makeup of the team, I don't think it will be long at all before we're sick of him again.

IndyToad
    One more, for the road