Thread: Hello (and have you hacked your Tivo yet?)

geekman

Default Hello (and have you hacked your Tivo yet?)

Hello all. I'm happy to finally register and post on this fine forum after lurking for a few months. I have a question for you also. Who out there owns a Tivo and have you hacked it yet? I had no idea just how hackable these things are until I started poking around.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Hello (and have you hacked your Tivo yet?)

Explain your definition of hacking please.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Zesty

Good links would also be appreciated.

I know there is a lot of information about this at TiVo Community, and I intend to hack mine at some point (bigger HD, networked with my PC's if possible, etc) but haven't gone down that road yet.

geekman

Modifying it from it's original form. It can be as small as adding an extra hard drive to increase capacity. It can be as big/complex as ???. I don't know what the upper limit is. The main way to hack it as far as I can tell (I'm just learning about this, and there is a ton of information to sort through) is to connect to it through a USB->wireless 802.11 adaptor (making it a part of your LAN) or through a serial cable. Then after some work you can get to a shell prompt in the linux operating system that runs on the box. From that point I think you can do a lot of different things. You can control your Tivo via a web page. The one hack in particular I'm thinking of trying to do (after the shell prompt access mentioned above) is to pull the video streams right off the tivo. You can ftp into the box and download them. The difficulty in this is that Tivo doesn't want you to be able to do this, so they put the files into some kind of proprietary format.

Anyway, I just wanted to hear if anyone else has done this or heard any experiences. If I can get that working I would like to volunteer to record and upload games for those who have to go without.

Here are some links:

http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/

http://www.tivocommunity.com/

http://www.newreleasesvideo.com/hinsdale-how-to/

The last one is a guide to upgrading hard drives in your Tivo. I would recommend it to anyone who is interested in it. Doesn't take much computer knowledge. Read it and follow the directions very carefully if you try it though. Don't skip the back up! If something is unclear, don't just forge ahead, ask for help. There seems to be a pretty cool tivo community at the above message boards.

sweabs

Modifying it from it's original form. It can be as small as adding an extra hard drive to increase capacity. It can be as big/complex as ???. I don't know what the upper limit is. The main way to hack it as far as I can tell (I'm just learning about this, and there is a ton of information to sort through) is to connect to it through a USB->wireless 802.11 adaptor (making it a part of your LAN) or through a serial cable. Then after some work you can get to a shell prompt in the linux operating system that runs on the box. From that point I think you can do a lot of different things. You can control your Tivo via a web page. The one hack in particular I'm thinking of trying to do (after the shell prompt access mentioned above) is to pull the video streams right off the tivo. You can ftp into the box and download them. The difficulty in this is that Tivo doesn't want you to be able to do this, so they put the files into some kind of proprietary format.

Anyway, I just wanted to hear if anyone else has done this or heard any experiences. If I can get that working I would like to volunteer to record and upload games for those who have to go without.
    You have chosen a wise username - That's tough stuff...or maybe just for me - but uploading games would be a huge plus!

geekman

You have chosen a wise username - That's tough stuff...or maybe just for me - but uploading games would be a huge plus!
    Nah, it's not that big of a deal really, just a lot of jargon to blast through.

sc

Another good site about upgrading your HD

http://www.weaknees.com/

You can also program you up0to0date remote button as a commerical skip as well, there are ton of books about the stuff you can do to your TIVO

I've been meaning to for a while, just haven't gotten around to it. I've got an old series 1, so I'm gonna have to put an ethernet card in it. Don't have the luxury of a usb port.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

I own a TiVo and have actually done a lot of reading about the "hacking" phenomenon, even considering doing it myself.

Unfortunately, mine (and the vast majority available in stores) are the newer Series Two TiVos, which as you mentioned have a good deal of tricks and barriers built in to prevent getting to a unix prompt.

If you're serious about hacking your box, I would strongly recommend finding one of the older Series One TivOs on ebay and messing around with that first. It's supposedly much, much easier to hack into these devices, esp. getting to a command prompt, installing apache or whatever, and ripping the video.

Unfortunately you're not going to find nearly as much info on grabbing video than you are some of the other tricks. Much of the TiVo hacking community has a genteman's agreement to not discuss copyright-infringing hacks (though some obviously do).

If you can't tell already, I plan on doing this myself when I get some more free time (might make a good summer project).

Let me know how it works out...

...and welcome to the forum!!! post often!

geekman

I've been meaning to for a while, just haven't gotten around to it. I've got an old series 1, so I'm gonna have to put an ethernet card in it. Don't have the luxury of a usb port.
    A lot of what I've read indicates that the series 1 are better for hacking. I did get the impression that series 2 is catching up (has caught up?).

geekman

I own a TiVo and have actually done a lot of reading about the "hacking" phenomenon, even considering doing it myself.

Unfortunately, mine (and the vast majority available in stores) are the newer Series Two TiVos, which as you mentioned have a good deal of tricks and barriers built in to prevent getting to a unix prompt.
    Some of what I've read makes it seem as if progress has been made. I guess I'll have to dive in and do it to find out.

Unfortunately you're not going to find nearly as much info on grabbing video than you are some of the other tricks. Much of the TiVo hacking community has a genteman's agreement to not discuss copyright-infringing hacks (though some obviously do).
    Yes, unfortunately corporations make the rules in our country and we have some bad ones like the DMCA. Just because it is digital doesn't mean we lose our rights to make copies for personal use. This is just my personal opinion and doesn't necessarily reflect the laws of the US.

If you can't tell already, I plan on doing this myself when I get some more free time (might make a good summer project).

Let me know how it works out...

...and welcome to the forum!!! post often!

Thanks. I'm still at the research stage myself, but I may just dive in with that sleeper cd and see what happens (with my original tivo drive on standby to rescue me of course).

Or, if you've got an extra computer in the house, slap Mandrake or Fedora on it, then install FREEVO!

http://freevo.sourceforge.net/
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Default Re: you've got

"....too much time on your hands"

What is so great other than maybe being able to copy dvd's?
    Large, all-digital database of all of the media you own? Watch any movie, listen to any song, without having to go for a CD?

Put it like this: I don't pirate music, but I still only listen to mp3s. When I buy a new CD, I immediately rip it to my hard drive. My computer is my stereo.

Imagine doing that with all of your movies.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!