Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Where do we rank now?

You Did It Joseph!!!! AesopRockOn's Avatar
    Mood

Default Re: Where do we rank now?

Wade is almost the best offensive player in the league...Lebron, Wade, etc. are still pretty far from Kobe

I think Indy in the top 3 is too optimistic; more like top 5. I just don't think we will be that great a regular season team; built better for the playoffs.
    You Got The Tony!!!!!!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by AesopRockOn View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Wade is almost the best offensive player in the league...Lebron, Wade, etc. are still pretty far from Kobe

I think Indy in the top 3 is too optimistic; more like top 5. I just don't think we will be that great a regular season team; built better for the playoffs.
    I cant wait to see Jay's new thread.

"This team is built for the playoffs"

Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood View Post
    Uh... yeah. Especially when 'whoever' is two decent pgs in Payton and Williams.

No way in hades would I take a Billups/Rip backcourt over Williams/Wade...
    Obviously, Wade/My Grandmother is still a good backcourt. And obviously, any team would rather have a back-court with Wade in it than a back-court without him.

But a basketball team still has to start five players and two of them must be guards. And Detroit has the most balanced and talented two-man unit of guards in the East. (I'd consider Jersey close if Vince knew how to play one iote of D or if JKidd hadn't lost too much lateral quickness to stay in front of quick guards.)

JWill/Payton are liabilities on defense. Of course Wade's greatness makes up for that, but that team lacks the back-court consistency, poise, experience, balance, and skill that the TWO guys in Detroit have.
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

Follow my twitter:

@8pts9secs

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I have not passd the koolaid to you Pizza - you have just seen the light.
    STARBURY

08 and Beyond

Quote Originally Posted by JayRedd View Post
    Obviously, Wade/My Grandmother is still a good backcourt. And obviously, any team would rather have a back-court with Wade in it than a back-court without him.

But a basketball team still has to start five players and two of them must be guards. And Detroit has the most balanced and talented two-man unit of guards in the East. (I'd consider Jersey close if Vince knew how to play one iote of D or if JKidd hadn't lost too much lateral quickness to stay in front of quick guards.)

JWill/Payton are liabilities on defense. Of course Wade's greatness makes up for that, but that team lacks the back-court consistency, poise, experience, balance, and skill that the TWO guys in Detroit have.
    Most balanced, maybe, but in no way are they a better backcourt. You only have to watch Wade plow them over game after game to realize that.

I guess it just comes down to which you prefer: two really good players, or one unstoppable player and one so-so player.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JayRedd View Post
    Isn't that sad to see? I mean the guy was "The Glove" and now teams PnR and run switches to get him isolated in defense so they can attack him.

Quote Originally Posted by indy0731 View Post
    While I agree that the Ben signing isn't as big a deal as some make it you cannot deny that Chicago is a team to be reckoned with. Kirk, Ben, Nocioni, and Deng is a good lineup.

I disagree about people chasing Detroit. Ben is the player people feared on that team. Nazr is a decent center, but this is an aging team that just had their heart and soul ripped out of them when they lost Ben. The Pistons are not going to win the Eastern Conference this year. You can sign and seal that.
    How is this possible?

If Wallace was the player people feared then why wasn't his signing with the Bulls as big as some think it was?

You did call him the "heart & soul" that was ripped out of them, didn't you?

Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood View Post
    Most balanced, maybe, but in no way are they a better backcourt. You only have to watch Wade plow them over game after game to realize that.

I guess it just comes down to which you prefer: two really good players, or one unstoppable player and one so-so player.
    You're not going to find a bigger Dwyane supporter than me (I actually share his last name and thus have been following him pretty faithfully since his freshmen year at Marquette. Little did I know the guy who was my favorite player in college because it was "neat" would become the best player in the league).

So, if I were a GM, I would take DWade/Michael Olowokandi as my starting backcourt ahead of Billups/Rip. There's just no substitute for that kind of talent. But by that logic, Kobe/Parker is the 2nd best backcourt in the League. And the best backcourts of All Time would be ranked 1) Jordan/Harper, 2) Jordan/BJ Armstrong, 3) Jordan/Paxson, 4) Jordan/Kerr, etc, etc.

All I'm saying is that there are no holes whatsoever in Detroit's backcourt. You have two great shooters, two above-average-to-elite defenders, two elite ballhandlers, two guys that want the ball in their hands in the 4th, two guys with average-to-above-average passing ability/court vision, two guys that know their role in the offense, two great free-throw shooters, and two high-IQ basketball players---among many other positive qualities.

Would I rather have one of the 2-3 best scorers in the League on my team instead of that? Yes.

The fact that Detroit has all those things I listed in their backcourt doesn't mean they have a trump card over Miami having Wade. But it does mean that the Pistons have something of their own that no other team in this league has, let alone the East. And with the vast importance that guards play in the playoffs, that is enough to ensure that Detroit doesn't "fall off" like some people are saying just because they lost Big Ben.

They went from starting five well-above-average NBA players to starting four well-above-average NBA players. Not too many teams can say that they have four guys like that that have been playing together for 3-4 years.

Detroit will be just fine.
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

Follow my twitter:

@8pts9secs

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    I'm not kidding. Detroit's going to fall back to the middle of the pack. I still don't fear Miami. They've never impressed me as a team that can really kick your *** consistently like Detroit, San Antonio, or LA a few years back.
    I'm late to this thread but you're thinking of a SVG-coached Miami team. With Riley, I think they're in the process of developing this ***-kicking persona that started with a championship.

I see the Pacers as fourth or fiftn best in the East right now. Hopefully they can trade SJax and keep moving up.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vapacersfan View Post
    I cant wait to see Jay's new thread.

"This team is built for the playoffs"

Too big of an "if" for Tinsley's health.

But if Tinsley sits out the firest sixty games and then is 100% ready for the playoffs, I'll write that thread. We could make a lot of noise from a low seed.

Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Quote Originally Posted by Jay@Section204 View Post
    Too big of an "if" for Tinsley's health.

But if Tinsley sits out the firest sixty games and then is 100% ready for the playoffs, I'll write that thread. We could make a lot of noise from a low seed.

Hey, theoretically that could happen.

If you, Btown, UB, Peck, MR, Shade and myself all put a few bucks into the pot we could buy the team, then tell Jamaal to rest himself till game sixty-one.