Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Where do we rank now?

That poll is almost funny.

No respect.
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

@The_Real_CJake

As much as I like the moves we've made, there are still too many question marks with this team to justify the level of optimism on this board right now (though I think/hope one more major move and/or a couple of minor moves are still in the works).

As it stands today:

- Miami (why all the hate? They're fun to watch IMO - more fun than Det or SA)
    - Chicago
    - Detroit
    - Cleveland
    - Indiana
    - Washington
    - New Jersey (way overrated by many here IMO... Kidd is in serious decline)
    - Milwaukee

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think that we are better than Cleveland.

If there is one team with a worse PG situation than us, it's got to be the Cavs.

I think the East breaks down like this.

Miami
    Detroit
    Indiana
    New Jersey
    Cleveland
    Chicago
    Washington
    Orlando

Pretty hard to predict the East, IMO, pretty wide open.

Here are the top teams, ahead of the Pacers:

Heat: Defending champs. Haven't improved, IMO, but they haven't lose any key players that I know of. Maybe Dorell Wright can give them some production this season. That's about the only way they really improve because they have a bunch of veterans, how can they get much better?
    Bulls: I think this is a team that has a shot at the Finals. They have a lot of young talent on that team. Guys like Deng, Gordon, Hinrich should all play a lot more consistant this year. Then you got AN who should play well this season and Chris Duhon. PJ Brown and Ben Wallace gives the Bulls a great defenseive tandem down low. This team could be really scary to play come playoff time.
    Pistons: I have them as one of the top teams but they did not improve, they got worse. Replacing Ben Wallace with just Narz Mohomand and I believe this team is in trouble because I think Narz is overratted and they didn't improve to much in other areas to make up for the loss of Big Ben.
    Cavs: They had a great playoff run last year. Their point guard spot needs a change or so and they don't have a scorer off the bench since they lost Ronald Murray. But they still are one of the better teams in the East.
    Nets: So underratted. Kidd, Carter, RJ, and an improved Kristic. Josh Boone could help them out but isn't he injured? But anyways they beat us last year in the playoffs and we have a very unproven team so with the team they have they are ahead of us until we prove it on the court.

Then it's us.

Quote Originally Posted by marcus View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The Poll question on ESPN.com today is : Do you think the Pacers will be a contender in the Eastern Conference?.....
    Looks Like Pacers have something to prove to most everybody outside of Indiana and Kentucky.
    heh alaska got more votes than montana in that poll...

apparently no to many people care about the pacers from montana...

Amazing Michigan and Ohio hate us the most.. i thought the neighbors would love us

1..2..3.. lil old blue sportsmusicxboxpacer's Avatar

MY 1,2,3 choices what looks like what will happen..

Miami
    Detroit
    Indiana
    Chicago
    New Jersey
    Cleveland
    Washington
    New York

Miami
    Detroit
    Indiana
    New Jersey
    Cleveland
    Chicago
    Washington
    Orlando

Miami
    Detroit
    Chicago
    New Jersey
    Cleveland
    Indiana
    Washington
    Milwaukee
    IF YOU A PACER FAN DONT BASH TO THE PACERS..!!!!!

I agree with Bob Ryan, Miami was lucky to win it all last year, and there's no way I'll pick them to be on top of the East again this year. Detroit's worse, Chicago's no more proven ready to be a contender than we are (at least our core have all been there before), Cleveland still doesn't have much past LeBron James, I haven't decided on New Jersey yet, but I'm leaning towards less impressive than most predict (but good), and Detroit's worse. We've made the most improvements, Ron's long gone, and we've added positive characters back to this team. I'm optimistic (it's more fun that way).

When the remaining trades get done we will be a top 3 team in East. As it stands we are hovering around 4/5 behind Detroit, Miami and Chicago.
    My Dream Team

PG - A.Iverson
    SG - K.Bryant
    SF - R.Artest
    PF - J.O'Neal
    C - D.Howard

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    Miami has never "demolished" us, not even last year. For some odd reason, we match up with them very well.

Btw, my current picks, assuming no other major moves are made:

1) (conference champ)
    2) (conference champ)
    3) (conference champ)
    4) :cavaliers
    5) :thepacers
    6)
    7) :thepiston
    8)
    Personally, I think we will be fourth and and the Cavs will be fifth instead.
    And the Pistons are probably still better than Washington. But other than that, I agree.

I'll go out on a limb and say Cleveland and Indiana/Bulls in the ECF.

Lebron has that ability to bring his teammates level of play up several notches. And its usually one of or the best player in the league who wins it all, save Detroit of 89 and the recent time. Maybe they didn't acquire any players, but I see last year as them taking the first step to being a contender for it all. They had a really nice playoff run.

Also, I don't see why Detroit hasn't fallen off more in peoples mind. They aren't deep, they lost their force in the middle, and I always thought they were one injury away from not even making the playoffs. They play the right way, but if things don't go their way they can implode and I think Flip is a good coach ala Carlise, but I don't think he can keep them together during extreme adversity. I could see them strong out of the gate, but just stumbling into the playoffs and a first round exit. B Wallace did so many non stat things and will be so missed.

I'm going to laugh if Detroit starts losing like we have been because of chemistry problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    I agree with Bob Ryan, Miami was lucky to win it all last year.
    You know, I was on a shoot recently and a gaffer was wearing a t-shirt that said: I'd rather be lucky than good. Luck plays a big part in professional sports. Nothing wrong with having a little bit of luck on your side. When I hear, "Oh, he's just lucky." Or "They're just lucky." I say, "What would you rather be? Unlucky?" Detroit certainly was "lucky" in 2004. The trade for Sheed and our timely injuries in the ECFs. So yeah, Miami was lucky. I'd sure like for the Pacers to be lucky for once.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    I'm optimistic (it's more fun that way).
    Me too. I had a good feeling going into the 2003-04 season. I had a good feeling going into 2004-05. Didn't have it last year despite what all the "experts" were saying about us. Namely, I didn't feel good about having Ron back. Something didn't feel right. I have a good feeling going into this year. It may take a couple of months for us to gel, but once we do, I think we're going to be an amazing ball club.

I understand why we're expected to struggle early, but at the same time Rick's always been driven to patch to get the win even within a game, so I simply expect us to not win big much (if ever) early, but still win our fair share. Besides, our best 5 are likely going to be the natural group for Rick to use for once, so it's not like he'll be holding someone back to get the W.

One thing to keep in mind about the Heat is Shaq coasts through the regular season and that is when he actually plays. And he usually only plays around 50-60 games.

So the Heat might win 53 games or so, but they could still be the best team in the east at playoff time.

And In Miami, Shaq played 73 games in 04-05 (when he should have been MVP) and played in 59 games last year. He played in just 59 because of that injury he sustained against the Pacers.

Shaq will play about 70 or so games if he has no bad injuries.

Luck certainly plays a big part in winning it all. Unfortunately, the Pacers have never had luck on their side. Maybe things will change. I certainly feel alot better going into this season than I did going into last one.

I'm not going to be so quick to discount Miami. They disposed of all of their opponents in 6 games or less. They were maybe lucky to win the Dallas series, but they certainly weren't lucky in getting to the finals. They won the first 3 series convincingly.

I didn't think their Chicago series was very convincing.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    I didn't think their Chicago series was very convincing.
    There's no doubt the Bulls gave Miami the toughest series in the east.

Miami still got rid of them in 6 games. They were obviously tested when it was knotted up at 2 apice, but practically every NBA champion has been in a position where a team has a series tied up against them.

It would be nearly impossible for a team to win a title without getting in a tough series.

Miami disposed of everyone in 6 games or less.

And back to the Pacers: I'm actually optimistic about them for once. I think the Pacers will make significant strides this year. I'm really looking forward to what the Pacers could be capable of in 2007-08.

I wish Tinsley would go, but I'm sure he has practically no trade value.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

As I see it right now, Miami is in the top tier of the East, with possibly Chicago and Cleveland not far behind.

I see us, at least talentwise, in the second tier, with Washington and Detroit.

Then, just below, New Jersey and Orlando.

I'm still currently sticking with my original rankings from this thread, but in terms of pure rankings, I consider us the 4th best team in the East right now.

1)
    2)
    3) :cavaliers
    4) :thepacers
    5)
    6) :thepiston
    7)
    8)

I also feel that our division is the best in the entire NBA.

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pizza guy View Post
    That poll is almost funny.

No respect.
    Respect has to be earned.

I currently would rank the play-offs teams in the Eastern Conference about this:

On the seeding system:

1) Miami
    2) Detroit
    3) New Jersey
    4) Cleveland
    5) Chicago
    6) Indiana
    7) Orlando (my "surprise" team in the east)
    8) Washington

II: Based on actual strength of the team:

1) Miami
    2) Detroit
    3) Cleveland
    4) Chicago
    5) Indiana
    6) New Jersey
    7) Orlando
    8) Washington

Regards,

Mourning
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

Basicly we know that Miami and New Jersey will be in the Top 3 based on seads and that its the a central Division mix up as to who makes up that 3 and who is 4th 5th and 6th

Cleveland Detroit Chicargo and Pacers .... any one of those 4 could come top of our division and anyone come 4th .... personally ithink the least likely to come top are Cleveland ... but the other 3 includign us are all to close for me to call at this point. .. i cant wait to see how we actually do!
    'All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others.'
    Animal Farm, by George Orwell

I think the regular season is gonna be a little tougher for us, our defense is going to have to be there every night for us to win games. We don't have that outside scorer who's not dependant on anyone else and can win games even when the offense isn't clicking. A big man like JO is too reliant on teammates getting him the ball in the right position to carry us when the energy's not there. And we don't have good shooters, it's too easy for teams to sag off of us when we're on a 5 game road trip and have dead legs. So I predict we'll do well at home, poorly on the road, anywhere from 5th-7th in the East.

That being said, we have a really nice post season team. A dominant inside scorer, good D, a 7-8 man rotation, athleticism to match up in the "new NBA," a solid postseason coach, I like our chances a lot better in April than in January. Maybe even Eastern Conference finals if we get healthy and some lucky breaks. 3-4 teams in the East might be a little better than us but no one is totally out of our league right now, not even Miami.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by The Hustler View Post
    Basicly we know that Miami and New Jersey will be in the Top 3 based on seads and that its the a central Division mix up as to who makes up that 3 and who is 4th 5th and 6th.
    In case you missed it, the NBA changed the playoff seeding format. The 3 division winners and the team with the best record that is not a division winner will be seeded based on best regular season record.

So a team that did not win their division can be the number 2 seed if they have the second best regular season record in their conference. Or even the number three seed if you have the 3rd best regular season record. Being a division winner no longer guarantees you one of the top three seeds.

Quote Originally Posted by naptown View Post
    In case you missed it, the NBA changed the playoff seeding format. The 3 division winners and the team with the best record that is not a division winner will be seeded based on best regular season record.

So a team that did not win their division can be the number 2 seed if they have the second best regular season record in their conference. Or even the number three seed if you have the 3rd best regular season record. Being a division winner no longer guarantees you one of the top three seeds.
    :| ...when was this announced ... i cant believe ive missed this!... my homepage is NBA.com i thought a big thing would have been made of that ... so for example this year Dallas would have been seeded 2nd in the west?

Thanks for the heads up ... i guess that changes a few of my thoughts!
    'All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others.'
    Animal Farm, by George Orwell

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog View Post
    We don't have that outside scorer who's not dependant on anyone else and can win games even when the offense isn't clicking.
    I personally dont want a team that has to rely on the three ball to win games. I would much rather have a team that goes to the hole and gets to the free throw line.

We may not have any very good 3 point shooters, but we have several very good 18-20 feet shooters. Which is all you really need to keep teams honest. Lets be a team that is going to the hole (and subsequently the free throw line) than a team that lives and dies by the 3 point shot.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by The Hustler View Post
    :| ...when was this announced ... i cant believe ive missed this!... my homepage is NBA.com i thought a big thing would have been made of that ... so for example this year Dallas would have been seeded 2nd in the west?

Thanks for the heads up ... i guess that changes a few of my thoughts!
    It was announced some time ago (shortly after the playoffs ended if I am not mistaken) and was all over ESPN and such for some time.

Exactly, Dallas would have been the 2 seed. This years playoff scenario with Dallas and San Antonio is exactly what prompted this change in the rules.