2. Detroit
    3. Chicago
    4. Indiana
    5. Cleveland
    6. NJN
    7. Washington
    8. Miluakee
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    I thinkthat putting the PIstons so far down just because they lost Ben Wallace is retarded
    The Pistons were the perfect example of "the whole is greater than the sum of it's parts." Without Ben in the middle, it's not even close to the same team. The strategy will have to be revamped, because the defensive glue is no longer there. The other players' weaknesses will be more easily exploited.
    "I'm not arguing; I'm explaining why I'm right."

Default Re: Where do we rank now?

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    All of the reasons people predict us to do poorly with this roster are the same reasons Miami was expected to crash and burn too. And don't cop out and just wave your Wade and Shaq banners at me; it's more than that.

I agree with that completely. Except we don't have a Wade type player. Or a Shaq type player. Or a PG like JWill. Or role players like Posey and Walker. Or a coach like Riley. But aside from that you were dead on.
    Offseason Priorities
    1. Trade Jax
    2. Get Al
    3. Develop Hulk
    4. Wishful thinking obviously.....Andre Miller

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I just wanna know why most people here are putting Washington on he 7th, 8th or even not at all. We didn't lose anyone signifigant, we kept JJ, added the emerging Blatche and signed a defensive minded big man in Songaila.

Here's mine - based solely on record.

:cavaliers (I HATE LeBron)
    :thepiston
    :thepacers

STARBURY

08 and Beyond

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Robertmto
    I just wanna know why most people here are putting Washington on he 7th, 8th or even not at all. We didn't lose anyone signifigant, we kept JJ, added the emerging Blatche and signed a defensive minded big man in Songaila.

Here's mine - based solely on record.

:Heat:
    :Bulls:
    :Cavaliers: (I HATE LeBron)
    :Pistons:
    :Pacers:
    :Wizards:
    :Magic:
    :Nets:
    I put the Wiz at #5, IIRC.

My Wiz fan roommate says they'll finish #1 or #2 in the East next year.
    "I'm not arguing; I'm explaining why I'm right."

Mood

I think my point is being missed here. I'm not trying to say we're just like (or even similar to) Miami in terms of our team. I'm drawing the parallel at the chemistry/character issues of that team, and the questions of what direction we're going (in other words, it's not clear, and last year it wasn't clear with them).

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Shade
    I put the Wiz at #5, IIRC.

My Wiz fan roommate says they'll finish #1 or #2 in the East next year.
    yea a few ppl pu them in the "right" position.

And as far as the 1st or 2nd assumption - jeesh. I'm a fan and even I dont believe that.
    STARBURY

08 and Beyond

This is how I think it will go as of now (by record):

1. Heat
    2. Cavs
    3. Pistons
    4. Pacers
    5. Bulls
    6. Wizards
    7. Nets
    8. Magic

35-45 wins,

between 6th and 10th in the East.

Younger quicker team with an inability to shoot well and a coach who loves to call every play and slow things to a crawl.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

Ok based on record,assuming the pending trades all go through.
    Part of me thinks the Bulls could be a few spots higher , then again I am not sure.

:cavaliers
    :thepiston
    :thepacers

Why Not Us ?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    I think my point is being missed here. I'm not trying to say we're just like (or even similar to) Miami in terms of our team. I'm drawing the parallel at the chemistry/character issues of that team, and the questions of what direction we're going (in other words, it's not clear, and last year it wasn't clear with them).
    I'll try to respond without mentioning Shaq or Wade.

What did Miami do? They got a coach who everyone listened to. Let's face it, Miami doesn't win that title without Riley at the help. Walker, Payton, Jwill, and the rest of the supporting cast would not have responded to Van Gundy like they did Riley.

It appears the Pacers don't have a coach who everyone responds to.

Also, Miami took a leap from team that went to the ECF's to NBA champion.

If you believe the Pacers are finals contenders, then that's taking a leap from a poor 41-41 first round exit season to NBA finals appearance. That's an almost unheard of leap without the addition of a major superstar.

I don't see anyone in the east touching Miami this postseason. Chicago, Cleveland and Detroit are all better than us. NJ is better than us.

Honestly, I would rather be the Orlando Magic right now, and I mean that. They will be a playoff team next season, no doubt about it in my mind.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by bulletproof
    Yep. I agree. And everyone thought Miami was going to be a mess this year.

Miami doesn't concern me. We seem to have their number, even when we're not at full strength.

True, why should Miami concern anyone? They only won the NBA title and eliminated all of their opponents in 6 or less games.

If by "having their number" you mean beating them in November, then yes, I guess we "have their number", just like we had Detroit's number because we beat them on November 19. If we would have played Miami in a series this year, I doubt you'd still be saying we had their number. They would have wiped the floor with us. There is a difference between playoff basketball and November basketball.

Nothing is won in November or the regular saeson. There was a time in the year where Miami was 10-10. Detroit wiped the floor with Miami 3 out of 4 regular season games this year, then lost to them in 6 games.

And who thought Miami was going to be a mess? I've never understood why anyone thought that going from a supporting cast of Eddie Jones/Damon Jones/Rasul Butler/Kenyon Dooling to Gary Payton/Jason Williams/James Posey/Antoine Walker was neccessarily a bad thing.

True, most had Detroit finishing ahead. But people can be wrong, just like how more than half of this board had the Pacers tagged as title contenders at this time last season.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PaCeRs_GuRL
    This is how I think it will go as of now (by record):

1. Heat
    2. Cavs
    3. Pistons
    4. Pacers
    5. Bulls
    6. Wizards
    7. Nets
    8. Magic
    Finally someone rates it close to how I do. I would probably swap NJ and WSH...well, maybe. That's a tough one.

I also think the Bobcats will take a nice step forward and not just because of Morrison. They are getting all those young players back with a year more experience. Guys grow and improve and it doesn't take 4 years if its a player with several years of college. May, Felton, Okafur, Brezec, Wallace and you add in Morrison. With Knight too this team has every spot covered pretty well and goes at least 2 deep on the bench reliably.

What did Miami do? They got a coach who everyone listened to.
    You mean like when Payton and Wade had a huge shouting match that carried on into the huddle and which Riley didn't even address at the time even though he was forced to talk over them in order to tell everyone else the play? Or were you referrring to when Riley told Haslem that it might be a good idea to throw his mouthpiece at a ref during a playoff game because the team needed a good 1 game suspension right about then?

It's just funny to me how much crap Rick gets for things that happen with other teams too. On a national level RC is one of the most respected coaches (proven by his COY voting among other things). Riley, Phil, they've been tuned out plenty of times and still their teams won.

Line up for Playoffs

1.Heat
    2.Pistons
    3.Nets
    4.Cavs
    5.Pacers
    6.Bulls
    7.Wizards
    8.Bucks

But to be honest you can give pacers a decent chance of anything from 2/3 to 6th .... i could see us being 4th in our division and yet still having the 5th best record and therefore playing Nets again! equally i could see us take second to cavs or Pistons and be 4th therefore playing one of the before mentioned ....

Interestingly, i think that most likely we will either have a repeat matchup from this yr or find ourselves playing another central team (any one of Bull Pistons or Cavs) its so tight between the 4 of u i really cant call it!

As for Miami, they wanted a championship! .... all through the season they argued and didnt fit and didnt work properly ... but when it came down to it ... they were willing to sacrifice there egos and there views for an oportunity to win a ring!
    'All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others.'
    Animal Farm, by George Orwell

Is it too soon to bring this thread back?
    I'm sticking with my guns here, even though i think the Pacers are gaining on that third spot.
    Quote Originally Posted by marcus View Post
    1st Chicago
    2nd Miami
    3rd Detroit
    4th Indiana
    5th Cleveland
    6th New Jersey
    7th Washington
    8th Orlando

I think we'll be at the top of the East. Seriously. I think our front court is going to wreak havoc on other teams.

As long as we have Jermaine on the team you have to put us at 1

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by bulletproof View Post
    I think we'll be at the top of the East. Seriously. I think our front court is going to wreak havoc on other teams.
    Sounds great.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

As the East stands right now (this might change by October):

1. Miami
    2. Detroit
    3. Chicago
    4. New Jersey (only because of the division thing)
    5. Cleveland
    6. Indiana
    7. Washington
    8. Milwaukee

I think Miami and Detroit are ahead of the pack. Then 3-6 is pretty much a jumble of teams (any of which could do serious playoff damage). Then 7 and 8 are in a different class entirely.

IMHO: If Tinsley stays healthy (who really knows about that) but if. We are at worst second best. I see no reason why we don't win 60. The inmprovements have been substantial compared to the rest of the eastern conf. I think Wallace going to Chicago is way over rated. He was great in Detroit because of the other 4 starters. I would take a starting lineup of Tins,JO,Al,Danny and Quis over any team either conference. I like our bench of Foster, Williams, Jax, Armstrong and Harrison. 1-10 nobody can compete with except Miami and Phoenix.
    "He wanted to get to that money time. Time when the hardware was on the table. That's when Roger was going to show up. So all we needed to do was stay close"
    Darnell Hillman (Speaking of former teammate Roger Brown)

Quote Originally Posted by rexnom
    I think Miami and Detroit are ahead of the pack. Then 3-6 is pretty much a jumble of teams (any of which could do serious playoff damage). Then 7 and 8 are in a different class entirely.
    You're running on old software. It's easy to pick Miami or Detroit. You need to reboot and think like the guy who picked Detroit to win it all in 2004 (meaning no one).

Quote Originally Posted by bulletproof View Post
    You're running on old software. It's easy to pick Miami or Detroit. You need to reboot and think like the guy who picked Detroit to win it all in 2004 (meaning no one).
    Maybe...but this is regular season, right? So I'm going with the "Reggie Miller" program...picking teams that are proven and don't need to be integrated much...that's why Detroit and Miami are at the top while I hesitate to gamble on Chicago and us when I haven't seen yet how we will mesh and how long said meshing will take.

Mood

The Al deal makes us much better. With Tinsley as point, it's hard to tell how good we will be, but certainly, we can be very good.
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

@The_Real_CJake

I think that a lot depends on Jackson. As much as I can't stand the guy, he could be a great 6th man for us. With Tins, Daniels, Granger, Harrington, ONeal starting I put us slightly behind Miami and even with Detroit and Chicago. Then there is a group of Washington, New Jersey, and Cleveland. My playoffs based only on record would pobably be:

Miami
    Detroit
    Indiana
    Chicago
    New Jersey
    Cleveland
    Washington
    New York

Oh yeah, I hate it, but the Knicks will make the playoffs.

Mood

I'm not sure where the notion that the Knicks will suddenly be so much better comes from. As if their roster wasn't bad enough, IT is the coach now - how does that translate to improvement?
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

@The_Real_CJake

WORLD CHAMPSSSS
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

The Poll question on ESPN.com today is : Do you think the Pacers will be a contender in the Eastern Conference?.....
    Looks Like Pacers have something to prove to most everybody outside of Indiana and Kentucky.