Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Where do we rank now?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Where do we rank now?

Okay, assuming we didn't give up and players for Al, and let's also assume, at least at this point, that the roster we have is what we'll start the season with (neither Freddie nor Polly are re-signed). Where do you think we rank in the coming season with a roster of:

C - JO/Harrison
    PF - Al/Foster
    SF - Danny/Williams
    SG - Jack/Quis/White
    PG - AJ/Tins/Runi/Green

Default Re: Where do we rank now?

Behind Miami, Detroit, Chicago, Cleveland, NJ.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

I don't think there is a lack of talent with that bunch. I am concerned about outside shooting. I think the biggest key will just be energy and effort. If we are looking to increase the tempo, that takes effort and a commitment to that type of execution. For me the question is are these the type of guys that will be committed to hustling on both ends of the floor? I don't know if enough of this unit will be able to commit to that to execute it properly. If there is a committment to the team concept, I like our chances most nights. That roster has good size and could cause defenders fits. I'd still like to see a more consistent shooter in the mix, however, to keep defenses a little more honest when playing our bigs.

And to answer the post...let's say a perfect world, everyone is healthy and does their job, top four in the east easy.

Mood

On paper, 1st in the East. With our chemistry and setup, probably 4th or 5th best.

The off-season isn't over. Obviously, we have way too many point guards and not enough shooting. Donnie said straight up he would address the latter. I'm guessing he will once the Al business is over with. Ask this question again come October, I think it will be easier to answer then.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    On paper, 1st in the East.

Seriously, though, maybe 6-7th in the East.

On paper, 1st in the East. With our chemistry and setup, probably 4th or 5th best.
    If we get Al, I think you'll see him and Jermaine really leading this team. I think it will help chemistry a lot. That's why I think it was so important for us to try to get Al.

Steve McQueen

JO/Al/Granger is one of the best front courts in the league, easily. Thats 55 points and 27 rebounds with pretty solid D. How many front courts can say that?

The bench is also phenomonal, one of the best benches I\'ve seen in a long, long time. Foster, Daniels, Johnson, Jasikeivius, Harrison is an awesome bench. We\'ve also got one of the proven best coaches in the league. The biggest flaw is our starting backcourt, Tinsley and Jackson is an average starting backcourt, neither player is a star, although both are pretty good. But then again teams have proven then can win with average backcourts, check this years Mavs team.

I\'d say we\'d finish #2 in the East behind Miami. 55 wins.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog

Seriously, though, maybe 6-7th in the East.
    I'm not kidding. Detroit's going to fall back to the middle of the pack. I still don't fear Miami. They've never impressed me as a team that can really kick your *** consistently like Detroit, San Antonio, or LA a few years back. Chicago's going to be (possibly very) good, but I think people overrate their backcourt.

Cleveland looks the same right now. That's good, but not great. If you had our talent play as well as it did in 2004, we'd be the 1st seed. Problem is, our team's psyche seems to be **** now. If that's fixed, either by more trades or a year where things don't go sour (Artest, injuries), which I theorize COULD be enough to keep the wheels on this bunch (especially with Al back in the picture; he's a glue guy), then yes, I think we'll be back to 2004 prominance.

I'm NOT saying that's what I expect, but it wouldn't shock me either. If it happens, many will be -ing all year that it's going to screw up, and it might, but without the injury bug and "Ronnie" around, it may not, either.

Realistically, it's more likely that things won't work out with the guys still here, but I think it's more like 60-40 or 65-35 than 95-5 that many believe.

Washington is another team that I think will be good, not great. Same with New Jersey.

I think if we stay healthy, we'll be somewhere from Washington/New Jersey to Cleveland's level, and if we stay healthy and our chemistry is OK to good again, we'll be at the top.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm not kidding. Detroit's going to fall back to the middle of the pack. I still don't fear Miami. They've never impressed me as a team that can really kick your *** consistently like Detroit, San Antonio, or LA a few years back. Chicago's going to be (possibly very) good, but I think people overrate their backcourt.

Cleveland looks the same right now. That's good, but not great. If you had our talent play as well as it did in 2004, we'd be the 1st seed. Problem is, our team's psyche seems to be **** now. If that's fixed, either by more trades or a year where things don't go sour (Artest, injuries), which I theorize COULD be enough to keep the wheels on this bunch (especially with Al back in the picture; he's a glue guy), then yes, I think we'll be back to 2004 prominance.

I'm NOT saying that's what I expect, but it wouldn't shock me either. If it happens, many will be -ing all year that it's going to screw up, and it might, but without the injury bug and "Ronnie" around, it may not, either.

Realistically, it's more likely that things won't work out with the guys still here, but I think it's more like 60-40 or 65-35 than 95-5 that many believe.

Washington is another team that I think will be good, not great. Same with New Jersey.

I think if we stay healthy, we'll be somewhere from Washington/New Jersey to Cleveland's level, and if we stay healthy and our chemistry is OK to good again, we'll be at the top.

I would have bought Miami not being extremely impressive a year ago, but I don't see how you can sit here and say you don't fear them after they won the title. Who cares if they "kick your *** consistently" or not, they got the job done.

There is no way we are a potentially better team than one with Wade and Shaquille O'Neal on it. It looks like the supporting cast will be strong again.

You said Detroit, SA, and LA all consistently kicked ***, but they all had sticky spots. It took Detroit 7 games to get past NJ in 04, 7 games to get past Miami in 05. It took LA 7 games to get past the Blazers in 00, and 7 to get past the Kings in 02. Wait a second, Miami didn't need 7 games to win any of their series this year. They won them all in 6 games or less.

Miami would demolish us in a series. We have no player that can somewhat counter Wade at all.

It's easily Miami's conference to win. They only won 52 games last year anyway.

1st Chicago
    2nd Miami
    3rd Detroit
    4th Indiana
    5th Cleveland
    6th New Jersey
    7th Washington
    8th Orlando

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by marcus
    1st Chicago
    2nd Miami
    3rd Detroit
    4th Indiana
    5th Cleveland
    6th New Jersey
    7th Washington
    8th Orlando
    just because Chicago got Ben Wallace doesnt mean they are #1..atleast not ot me. Miami gets the #1 spot from me since after all they ARE the defending champions. Here is my tops:

1st Miami
    2nd Cleveland
    3rd Chicago
    4th Detroit
    5th Indiana
    6th New Jersey
    7th Washington
    8th Orlando
    If you havin' depth problems, I feel bad for you son; I got 99 problems but a bench ain't one! - Hicks
    [/center]
    @thatguyjoe84

Quote Originally Posted by aero
    just because Chicago got Ben Wallace doesnt mean they are #1..atleast not ot me. Miami gets the #1 spot from me since after all they ARE the defending champions. Here is my tops:

1st Miami
    2nd Cleveland
    3rd Chicago
    4th Detroit
    5th Indiana
    6th New Jersey
    7th Washington
    8th Orlando
    I can't stand Miami so I refuse to put them first. I think that Chicago is going to be able to win a lot of regular season games, they have a good coach.
    But accually, I kinda see where your coming from with you list. As for Miami, I just don't see teams letting Wade get to the line as much as he did in the playoffs.

I'm not kidding.
    OK then, but I strongly diagree with you. The East is going to be very difficult this year; as you mentioned, no one dominant team, but a bunch of very good ones.

As long as Miami has Wade they're ahead of us. I think you're underestimating Detroit, their window has closed but they're still a solid team that has more experience, is (still) stronger defensively, and has more balanced scoring than we do. Chicago will be a very strong team, not just because of Wallace, but as a progression of what they've been building on the past few years. That's the cream of the crop in the East.

We fit in the middle of the pack, and I can see how we could finish anywhere in the next 5-6 spots.

Cleveland will improve as Lebron improves, and I'm still interested to see how Hughes will work out when healthy over the course of a season. New Jersey has kicked our butts consistently, and still features better scoring and now much better young talent (Williams, Krstic) to go along with their veterans. I think these two teams will finish ahead of us for sure.

Right now, I think we're there with the Wizards and Milwaukee, and I expect either Orlando or Toronto (or perhaps both) to make solid improvements this year. And who knows what will happen with Boston, which has some interesting young talent and is looking to make some aggressive moves.

There's a lot of solid teams in the East, and I don't see how, even talent wise, our squad is much better than any of them.

1st Miami
    2nd Chicago
    3rd Detroit
    4th New Jersey
    5th Cleveland
    6th Milwaukee
    7th Indiana
    8th Washington
    ------------------
    9th Toronto
    10th Orlando
    11th Boston
    12th Philadelphia

What has Cleveland done so merit so much respect? Yes, they have Lebron. But Z is a year older and there are no guarantees that Gooden will be back. LeBron is all they have at the moment so I don't think you can put them in the top 4 in the east.

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog

1st Miami
    2nd Chicago
    3rd Detroit
    4th New Jersey
    5th Cleveland
    6th Milwaukee
    7th Indiana
    8th Washington
    ------------------
    9th Toronto
    10th Orlando
    11th Boston
    12th Philadelphia
    Milwaukee ahead of Indiana?

On paper, we aren't 1st. Miami is still number one. And Chicago adding Wallace means either Gordon, Deng or Noc will sit and all of those would start for us. So we are at least 3rd if not lower in the East on paper.
    Offseason Priorities
    1. Trade Jax
    2. Get Al
    3. Develop Hulk
    4. Wishful thinking obviously.....Andre Miller

Mood

We'll see. I don't think my idea is as crazy as some of you think. All the experts, on this forum, on the internet, on TV, they all pretty much had Detroit and San Antonio in the Finals this year. It doesn't always go the way you think it should.

I think the conference is really, really tight - so I'm going to say LeBron wills the Cavs to the EC title, but I don't think anything would surprise me. The Pistons are going to be much worse than they were last year, and I think the Heat are also going to be much worse than they were last year. I don't think any team is substantially better, with the possible exception of Chicago. Orlando and the Bulls are on the rise, but do they have the winning mindset yet? I think it's going to take another year of tasting defeat for them. And I think New Jersey is just terrible, I think it falls apart for them this year.

I don't know what to make of the Pacers' prospects. I like what they've done in the offseason, but they have so much to prove and the competition is tough. I think they are in a big shuffle with everyone else behind the top three. I'm putting them 5th, ahead of the pack, based purely on organizational strength and winning mindset. I'm worried that their mental toughness is falling, though maybe it bottomed out last year.

1st Cleveland
    2nd Detroit
    3rd Miami
    4th Chicago
    5th Indiana
    6th Orlando
    7th Washington
    8th Milwaukee

Like I said earlier. Cleveland is being way overrated right now. This thread is supposed to be rankings as of NOW. So far, the Cavs have done nothing to merit the #1 spot and Drew Gooden looks like he could very possibly be gone next year. I don't see how their lineup as of now wins the EC.

Eric Snow/Damon Jones/Daniel Gibson
    Larry Hughes/Shannon Brown
    LeBron/Ira Newble/Stephen Graham
    Donyell Marshall/Varejao
    Ilgauskas/Martynas Andriuskevicius

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

I think we could be good assuming our chemistry is fine.

I'm almost going to agree with Hicks, but I know thinking we're going to be that good is a cardinal sin here, but I'll take the beating.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

We'll see. I don't think my idea is as crazy as some of you think. All the experts, on this forum, on the internet, on TV, they all pretty much had Detroit and San Antonio in the Finals this year. It doesn't always go the way you think it should.
    Yep. I agree. And everyone thought Miami was going to be a mess this year.

Miami doesn't concern me. We seem to have their number, even when we're not at full strength.

Follow me no more....... Fireball Kid's Avatar

Miami
    Chicago
    New Jersey
    Detroit
    Indiana
    Cleveland
    Orlando
    Washington
    "Remember the pain of my fist. That is my power!"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by bulletproof
    Yep. I agree. And everyone thought Miami was going to be a mess this year.

Miami doesn't concern me. We seem to have their number, even when we're not at full strength.
    Count me in this group also.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Adam1987
    I would have bought Miami not being extremely impressive a year ago, but I don't see how you can sit here and say you don't fear them after they won the title. Who cares if they "kick your *** consistently" or not, they got the job done.

There is no way we are a potentially better team than one with Wade and Shaquille O'Neal on it. It looks like the supporting cast will be strong again.

You said Detroit, SA, and LA all consistently kicked ***, but they all had sticky spots. It took Detroit 7 games to get past NJ in 04, 7 games to get past Miami in 05. It took LA 7 games to get past the Blazers in 00, and 7 to get past the Kings in 02. Wait a second, Miami didn't need 7 games to win any of their series this year. They won them all in 6 games or less.

Miami would demolish us in a series. We have no player that can somewhat counter Wade at all.

It's easily Miami's conference to win. They only won 52 games last year anyway.
    Miami has never "demolished" us, not even last year. For some odd reason, we match up with them very well.

Btw, my current picks, assuming no other major moves are made:

1) (conference champ)
    2) (conference champ)
    3) (conference champ)
    4) :cavaliers
    5) :thepacers
    6)
    7) :thepiston
    8)