Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What changes are left to be made before 2006-2007 season?

Default What changes are left to be made before 2006-2007 season?

With the recent news of the acqusition of Baby Al, What is left for us to do this offseason? What is the boards opinion on what else we should change?

Default Re: What changes are left to be made before 2006-2007 season?

Something needs to be down in regards to the PG position. We have too many pgs right now. Also, I think that three of them all want to start.

really depends on which players - if any - we're losing in the trade for Al. If the roster stays as-is, just with the addition of Al (assumes trading TE/pick), then I think we need a 3rd string C (Pollard would do fine), and to define a clear starter at PG, plus a few more players to fill out the roster. a 3pt shooting PG and/or SG would help. I could see an Eddie House or Tony Delk being brought in.
    "I'll always be a part of Donnie Walsh."
    -Ron Artest, Denver Post, 12.28.05

trade Stephen Jackson along with Tins for a good starting pg and we can see what Shawne Williams is capable of as a SG or maybe white idk... if we solve the PG problem we will have a definite problem some where else unless we bump everybody down..
    C- JO
    PF-Foster
    SF-Al
    SG-Danny
    PG- Andre Miller??

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Ron who?
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    trade Stephen Jackson along with Tins for a good starting pg and we can see what Shawne Williams is capable of as a SG or maybe white idk... if we solve the PG problem we will have a definite problem some where else unless we bump everybody down..
    C- JO
    PF-Foster
    SF-Al
    SG-Danny
    PG- Andre Miller??
    Unless the Nuggets acquire Francis with KMart....and are willing to take on Tinsley as a rather expensive backup PG option......Dre will never become a Pacer.....much less a Pacer with Tinsley being the PG that they get in return.

We had the opportunity to acquire several decent players for cheap from the Nuggets once they acquired JR Smith.....their need for a decent SG isn't as great. Our window for moving SJax or even Freddie to the Nuggets closed the second that JR Smith ( a cheaper and younger 3rd scoring option SG ) was traded.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

We still need another center.

Jack and AJ for Magloire sounds good to me, as does Jack and Tinsley for Haywoode and Daniels.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Besides just getting rid of Jax & Tins (which I would like to see happen but am not sure it will) I would like to see us do something to shore up our p.g. spot.

We need to thin the crop a little & add maybe a higher quality player. I wouldn't mind having a really decent young guy to learn behind A.J. this year if we have to.

Maybe Green is that player? I don't know.

Also, I'm not content with our s.g. spot either. I'd like an upgrade if we could but I don't know if we can.

Small forward is good. Powerforward is good. Center is ok (if J.O. is the new center).

It's the backcourt that is iffy IMO.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Who can beat Bird in a game of H.O.R.S.E. ?

The PG situation needs addressed.
    Assuming Al is here then JO is the center... What happens with the 2nd unit?

Can Sjax be moved or rehabbed and will the fans even be all that welcoming of him back even if he does do some attitude rehab work?

-Bball
    O'Brien has been fired! Yay! What took so long?

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

First and foremost, move Tinsley. Try to move Jackson. See what we can get for him, but it's not as imperative as moving Tins. Give Rick until mid-season to see what he does with a revamped team. Oh, and re-sign Polly.

Well... after reading Hicks' reply in the other thread I am starting to wonder if Carlisle wouldn't relegate Danny to the bench and go with:
    Al
    Foster
    JO

That would be very 'Carlisle-like'... So maybe my orginal thoughts in this thread are off a bit.

-Bball
    O'Brien has been fired! Yay! What took so long?

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by Bball
    Well... after reading Hicks' reply in the other thread I am starting to wonder if Carlisle wouldn't relegate Danny to the bench and go with:
    Al
    Foster
    JO

That would be very 'Carlisle-like'... So maybe my orginal thoughts in this thread are off a bit.

-Bball
    I think if Rick did that, Larry would intervene.

Trade AJ to Cleveland for Luke Jackson

Trade Stephen Jackson to Milwaukee for Dan Gadzuric

Move Tinsley for a draft pick, any draft pick

Sign & Trade Fred Jones to Portland for Steve Blake

Sign Eddie House

Thanks Peck

Quote Originally Posted by Jose Slaughter

Re-sign Jones

I understand thinning the heard at the pg spot, but would you really want to start the year with Saras & Orien Green at the point?

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Quote Originally Posted by Ron who?
    C- JO
    PF-Foster
    SF-Al
    SG-Danny
    PG- Andre Miller??

Why in the hell is Foster at the 4 and JO at the 5?????
    Offseason Priorities
    1. Trade Jax
    2. Get Al
    3. Develop Hulk
    4. Wishful thinking obviously.....Andre Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Peck
    I understand thinning the heard at the pg spot, but would you really want to start the year with Saras & Orien Green at the point?
    I fixed it, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jose Slaughter

Sign & Trade Fred Jones to Portland for Steve Blake

Sign Eddie House

Thanks Peck
    I like it, I like.

We could probably get more from Cleveland, however. At least a draft pick. And I don't think Steve Blake's the answer, if we get rid of AJ and Tins and hand the keys to Saras we need a veteran point who can play some D.

But on the whole, it's addition by subtraction from here on out, and hopefully we can get value for either AJ or Saras.

edit: I also don't like the idea of giving Cleveland another solid role player. But Luke Jackson is in the mold of guys I'd like to see us add.

You Did It Joseph!!!! AesopRockOn's Avatar
    Mood

There's still no starter...unless it's 'Quis
    You Got The Tony!!!!!!

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pointz
    With the recent news of the acqusition of Baby Al, What is left for us to do this offseason? What is the boards opinion on what else we should change?
    Well for starters the "One Goal" video, most of the signage and banners and about half the product stocked in the HC Gift Shop.

My team calender from last season is already outdated and I've got a few months left to do on it. Left to go is Harrison, Jones, AJ, and Granger. Can the calender make it without actually being incorrect on the current month (meaning a Pacer photo shown for a month in which he's actually not with the team). DH and Danny are safe, but Fred isn't signed yet and AJ has been in tons of rumors.

Seriously, can a person get a scorecard around here for all the "minor" changes the team is making.

Travis Best, no not someone to dribble and dribble and, well, dribble. Someone who can stay in front of a quick point guard, Tyrone Lue, Delonte West, Marcus Banks, Derrick Fisher types as an example, someone to take the pressure off our team D. Dribble penetration has killed the Pacers for years.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Speed
    Travis Best, no not someone to dribble and dribble and, well, dribble. Someone who can stay in front of a quick point guard, Tyrone Lue, Delonte West, Marcus Banks, Derrick Fisher types as an example, someone to take the pressure off our team D. Dribble penetration has killed the Pacers for years.
    That's why they drafted White and traded for Daniels.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

What we need:

A solid starter at PG. Some one who is capable of being a floor general, and can hit a shot. NOT A SHOOT-FIRST POINT GUARD, BUT A POINT GUARD THAT CAN SHOOT!!

A SG that can consistantly hit the 3pt shot. I like 'Quis, but the dude can't shoot from outside. SJax should be moved for anything we can move him for, and Freddie is not a starting SG in the NBA (though a very good backup).

We need, I mean it's imperative, to get rid of Tinsley and Jackson. I actually really like the rest of this team. Tins and SJax need to be gone and I'd be 100% happy with this offseason, even if we got jack-crap back for them.
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

@The_Real_CJake

Quote Originally Posted by Pointz
    Sign Pollard.

If we can, try to keep Jeff and AJ, but minimalize their roles. Make Jeff the 10-15 minute rebounding and intensity injection that he should be, and try to keep AJ as back-up PG. With so many young'ins, we need to try to keep him and his experience. Besides, it doesn't get a whole lot better than him at back-up PG.

Make 'Quis the starting SG.

Which gives us

O'Neal/Harrison/Pollard
    Harrington/Foster
    Granger/Williams
    Daniels/White
    ?/AJ

And leaves us Tinsley, Jackson, and Saras to trade with. I kind of think that Fred probably won't be back, which I kinda hate.

Anyway try to acquire another starting guard with Jax Tins and Saras. Include Jeff and/or AJ if needed, although try to hold on to them if possible.

Ideally we don't lose AJ or Jeff and get to plug a new PG into the lineup I had above, and then sign a veteran SG/SF to help out the rooks in case they can't cut it.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

As for changes, I think the Pacers have a couple of ways they can go.

They definitely need one more player in the frontcourt. If they start JO at center, then I think we should acquire a backup PF.

If we can get our hands on Magloire, then I think we would then start JO at PF, with Al at SF and possibly Danny at SG. But that move would definitely require a significant upgrade over AJ at PG because it would require a better distributor, since the SG (Danny) wouldn't be much help in that regard.

And, with the Magloire-JO-Al lineup, if we started Daniels at SG, then we could survive with AJ at PG.

Of course, all of the lineups above consider Jackson and Tinsley gone.

Beyond either a starting C or a backup PF, I believe we need an upgrade at PG and a perimeter shooter.

i say keep tinsley, saras, and greene as our PG rotation. i know a lot of ppl want tins moved, but i don't think we'll ever get anything of value for him. i also have a gut feeling that with all the critiscm he's taken this year, there is a good chance he'll come back strong next year. he makes the offense flow so much more efficiently that to me it's worth taking a chance on him. even if he flops again this year, quis is more than capable at taking some spot mins at point. i also think saras is up for a good year too.....in the past most euros stink it up there first year and then come back strong there after.

if we do get al, our final move should be for a guard who can shoot lights out and is capable of giving mins at both the 1 and 2. i know he's had a bad rep in the past, but i like jamal crawford quite a bit. seems like he turned over a new leaf under brown last year. from what i hear he's going to be the odd man out in NY behind francis, marbury, and robinson, so he could be available.

if we indeed are only moving cash, the T/E, and picks for harrington, i would welcome a deal where jax and AJ are out and crawford is in.

tins/saras/crawford
    quis/crawford
    granger/quis
    harrington/foster
    jo/harrison

that's a very solid and well balanced 9 man rotation. white, williams, greene, and pollard could get scrap time.

Jay Ohh

Jamaal Crawford is definitely someone to look at. he'd help with just about everything we need. Clutch, someone to help push the tempo, good outside shooter.

I'd love to have him. Andre Miller would be my number 1 choice, but I don't see that happening any time soon, so I'd look at Crawford, since he can probably be had at a pretty reasonable price.