Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I have 43 gigs of Pacers games taking up space on my DVR.

Default I have 43 gigs of Pacers games taking up space on my DVR.

And I'm struggling. A lot of those games are painful and I'm not going to watch them. On the other hand, I have ~32 hours of Pacers footage in MPEG-2. The pack-rat in me doesn't want to throw it away.

I went back and watched our games against Miami, where we had a sane Ron and a healthy Tinsley. Jermaine was our third-best player. That game was depressing.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Default Re: I have 43 gigs of Pacers games taking up space on my DVR.

Wow. That's about a win per gig.
    "Sometimes, when you look Andy in the eyes, you get a feeling somebody else is driving." -- David Letterman

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

burn them to DVDR and send them my way hehe
    If you havin' depth problems, I feel bad for you son; I got 99 problems but a bench ain't one! - Hicks
    [/center]
    @thatguyjoe84

Do you have any way of putting them on DVD-R? Through a series of steps? I have one for my DVR, but I'd lose a lot of quality, but it's better than just deleting them entirely, you know?

Actually, I wish I could watch that Miami game again.

This was my first season with DVR, and I have a few games saved (the playoffs, a Detroit game, Ron's Kings game), but I wish I had more now that it's summer.

I think next year I'm going to save any that were great or memorable at the time, and delete them around November of the next season.

I'll errr send ya a new one in the mail... errr yeahhh sounds good to me yeahhhh

I dread not go where you go, I started watching a game from 04 I believe and quit in horror

Certain Center, Jermaine, Ronnie Boy, Reggie, Tins

Al of the bench it was heaven.....

Ya Think Ya Used Enough Dynamite there Butch...

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Hey Anthem, you got any Colts games?
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

I've got a DVR too, a Panasoinc one but mine measures in hours not Gigs.... whats going on there, I have an 80GIG HD which has like 3 hours free on it right now....

This thread has potential but i'll keep quiet and see what becomes....

Mood

i just wish i had ANY pacers game on dvd or even VHS i dont have any games nor do i have NBA tv so im really bummed out right now...no sports what so ever for me to watch *crys*
    If you havin' depth problems, I feel bad for you son; I got 99 problems but a bench ain't one! - Hicks
    [/center]
    @thatguyjoe84

I bought an LG dvd burner for the living room that was $230 and it is fantastic for archiving those games at about 25 cents a blank disc....

That is the only way to go!

Certain people have the ability to convert those to avi's and they are also easy to copy. Not trying to say it should be a for profit or mass distributing venture, but you will be glad you kept them when you have to make the painful choice of keeping old games or getting new ones...

I couldn't think of actually deleting anything Pacers related, could you?

RESIDENT COUNTING THREAD PHILOSOPHIZER

I built the DVR myself, so all of the footage is in standard MPEG-2 on my computer's second hard drive. I stream it over the network to my TV.

If anybody wants to send me a 40gig HD, I'll fill it and send it back. Seriously.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

PACERS GAMES?! oh my gosh. I'm stuck in Dallas, TX and Austin, TX for college without NBA tv, so the only Pacers games I get to watch are when they are against Dallas or come playoff time. If you could, I was wondering if you could send any of them to me? Private message me if you're up for the task.

It's really a good system, especially if you have already strung CAT5 in your house. You just put on of these in your PC (no matter what room it's in):
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...413709?ie=UTF8

Then you run ethernet to your TV, and use one of these:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...413709?ie=UTF8

And pull it all together with this (free, but Windows-only):
    http://www.gbpvr.com/

Pretty sweet system. Total cost is $200. Of course, you'll probably want a new HD as well. I can fill my 120gig pretty quickly.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I built the DVR myself, so all of the footage is in standard MPEG-2 on my computer's second hard drive. I stream it over the network to my TV.

If anybody wants to send me a 40gig HD, I'll fill it and send it back. Seriously.
    Could you make a 60 second demonstration clip of one of the games to show the quality?

How does MPEG2 compress it, DVD Digital quality is like an Hour a Gig on my DVR, AVI is about 700 Megs for a game of basketball say 2-2.5 Hours on my PC...

where does MPEG2 Fit in, and is it hard to then convert it to DVD format...

Mood

if someone knows of any sites where i can doqnload/view pacers games free of charge shoot me a PM. Im dying to see some games...youtube.com just isnt cutting it
    [/center]
    @thatguyjoe84

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    Could you make a 60 second demonstration clip of one of the games to show the quality?
    Do you know a good free MPEG-2 cutter? Right now I've got nothing to cut the files up with... it's all or nothing.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Mood

All these big computer words!!! YIKES!!!
    STARBURY

08 and Beyond

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by GO!!!!!
    How does MPEG2 compress it, DVD Digital quality is like an Hour a Gig on my DVR, AVI is about 700 Megs for a game of basketball say 2-2.5 Hours on my PC...

where does MPEG2 Fit in, and is it hard to then convert it to DVD format...
    MPEG2 is what a DVD is. The quality still depends on what the source is. If it comes directly from digital it should be great quality.

"Just look at the flowers ........ BANG"

Nice! Do you have any games with Reggie?

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I should be so lucky. If the NBA made DVD's available of every game every played, and sold them, I would be completely broke. There are so many I remmber that I wish I could watch again.
    The NBA ... it's fannnnnnnnn-tastic! I LOVE this game!

Do you know a good free MPEG-2 cutter? Right now I've got nothing to cut the files up with... it's all or nothing.
    Here is one: Mpg2Schnitt, http://www.mdienert.de/mpeg2schnitt/

or Cuttermaran, http://www.mdienert.de/mpeg2schnitt/

Both are german but have at least English language files with them.

Take care,

Florian

This thread reminds me...Anyone know where I can purchase a VHS of the 2000 NBA Finals? I forgot to buy one while they were still in stores...

PM me with details about this...I will send you a HD and thank you a million times for doing me the favor!

RESIDENT COUNTING THREAD PHILOSOPHIZER

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    Do you have any way of putting them on DVD-R? Through a series of steps? I have one for my DVR, but I'd lose a lot of quality, but it's better than just deleting them entirely, you know?

Actually, I wish I could watch that Miami game again.

This was my first season with DVR, and I have a few games saved (the playoffs, a Detroit game, Ron's Kings game), but I wish I had more now that it's summer.

I think next year I'm going to save any that were great or memorable at the time, and delete them around November of the next season.
    I don't save entire games because really that's just crazy. I only archive full playoff wins or other key games. What I started doing last year was ripping good or key plays from games instead. That cuts it down to just 25-35 better plays that later I can look back on and say "oh yeah, that's how that guy played".

I still have about 20 games to go from last season, but I haven't put effort into it in months. If I had it would be done by now.

I use a USB2.0/Firewire capable Adaptec hardware ripper on the regular analog video out with the lowest compression it will give me. I haven't really tested it on the big screen to compare artifacts, but on a 32" you effectively can't tell.

I also have a bunch of late 90s stuff still to pull from VHS, ugh.

Quote Originally Posted by Floflyer
    Here is one: Mpg2Schnitt, http://www.mdienert.de/mpeg2schnitt/

or Cuttermaran, http://www.mdienert.de/mpeg2schnitt/

Both are german but have at least English language files with them.

Take care,

Florian
    I've tried Cuttermaran, I couldn't get it to work. I'll check out the other, though.

There are a lot of programs out there, but I absolutely hate spyware, and most of them install spyware. I tried to get FFshow to work, because supposedly everyone loves it. It supposedly includes a splitter, but I couldn't figure out how to split with it.

Enjoy your time at PD!