Thread: What's the next move?

Default What's the next move?

What will be DW and LB'S next move? Is it Al? A trading move of a starter?

Feel free to speculate here.....
    Offseason Priorities
    1. Trade Jax
    2. Get Al
    3. Develop Hulk
    4. Wishful thinking obviously.....Andre Miller

Default Re: What's the next move?

Mark my words in RED ink. Al Harrington will be a Pacer within a couple months. I think the trade will be a mistake from a basketball standpoint, but will be a good business/PR move...and God knows the Pacers need that. It is a mistake primarily because Al is not starter material on a team with JO and Danny Granger...yet will demand starter $. It will, however, help the locker room and make the fans happy.

Also, I think the trade exception has created significant interest from trading partners and will be used this summer. It will be used in some way to upgrade the back court after we trade Jax and one others for a big man.

EDIT: To answer the question...I think we get Al before two other significant moves.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Id rather have Drew Gooden then AL..but thats just me. He'd cost less and fit what our team needs see below :

Ill take Drew, He's better on D
    If you havin' depth problems, I feel bad for you son; I got 99 problems but a bench ain't one! - Hicks
    [/center]
    @thatguyjoe84

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It is a mistake primarily because Al is not starter material on a team with JO and Danny Granger
    B.S. Even if we had a better center, Al would start ahead of Danny. But the thing is, we don't have a better center. So, if we get Al, the starters will be JO, Al and Danny.

But I do agree with you on one major point. The Pacers are probably on hold until the situation with Al is settled. That means that if Jackson and/or Tinsley are not part of a trade that brings back Al, then we will be pressing for some sort of trade late in the summer to get rid of one or both.

It may not be the next move but I certainly hope it's one of the moves before this season starts:
    Punting Tinsley.

I don't want him on the Pacer roster at all.

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by McRoberts2Pacers
    What will be DW and LB'S next move? Is it Al? A trading move of a starter?

Feel free to speculate here.....
    Start planning the championship parade
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Jay Ohh

It better be trading for Al or signing Marcus Banks. If they do anything less, then they have failed, and need to go home.

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Bball
    It may not be the next move but I certainly hope it's one of the moves before this season starts:
    Punting Tinsley.

-Bball
    I agree.

We don't need Mr. Sinus Infection anymore.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by aero
    Id rather have Drew Gooden then AL..but thats just me. He'd cost less and fit what our team needs see below :

[qimg]http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/5725/untitledos2.jpg[/qimg]

Ill take Drew, He's better on D
    Actually...I read on the Cavs RealGM forum that Gooden is rather clueless when it comes to defense...and often misses defensive assignments.

Overall....he's a solid oversized SF / undersized PF...which I would have no problem with somehow acquiring if Harrington falls through.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The next move is to see whether we get Harrington or not. TPTB are waiting....just like the rest of the universe....for the Hawks to make their decision on where to send Harrington. But I fear that the Hawks are waiting on any possible Iverson deal that would affect potential trading partners....directly or indirectly.

As it appears that there are suitors for Iverson....from what I have read.....the Sixers are not generating the type of interest that they had hoped....and therefore SLOWLY weighing what options they have.

Once we get ( or lose ) Harrington.......I am guessing that we will start to see a flury of trades among the various teams.

Here's a question that most of us haven't really thought of.....what if the Pacers do not get Harrington?

What would be the next move?

Do we hold onto the T/E until the trade deadline ( if that can be done ) and then use it then when it may have more trade value and more players show up on the "trading block"?

If we do ultimately use it on Harrington, what player would you target with the T/E?

I am guessing that as long as the player is not a Free Agent.....we can combine the T/E with a player ( like SJax or Tinsley ) to acquire a Non-Free Agent Player from another team?
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC
    Actually...I read on the Cavs RealGM forum that Gooden is rather clueless when it comes to defense...and often misses defensive assignments.

Overall....he's a solid oversized SF / undersized PF...which I would have no problem with somehow acquiring if Harrington falls through.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The next move is to see whether we get Harrington or not. TPTB are waiting....just like the rest of the universe....for the Hawks to make their decision on where to send Harrington. But I fear that the Hawks are waiting on any possible Iverson deal that would affect potential trading partners....directly or indirectly.

As it appears that there are suitors for Iverson....from what I have read.....the Sixers are not generating the type of interest that they had hoped....and therefore SLOWLY weighing what options they have.

Once we get ( or lose ) Harrington.......I am guessing that we will start to see a flury of trades among the various teams.
    well i wouldnt trust opinions because they are bias, if you look at his numbers from last year in that image i posted it shows he was better on blocks and rebounds then AL and as far as 3's he's about the same also i looked at how much he made last year and it was about $2 Million less the AL so if he signed him it would be atleast $2 Million less then signing AL.

but again, this is only my opinion
    If you havin' depth problems, I feel bad for you son; I got 99 problems but a bench ain't one! - Hicks
    [/center]
    @thatguyjoe84

I think the whole league is waiting to see what happens with either Harrington or Iverson. I would rather the Pacers go after Wilcox. I think with the trade excemption & the sale of the Sonics the time is right to make them an offer that would save them big money.

The downside is that reports are Wilcox is looking for something around 10M & that simply isn't gonna happen. If the Sonics would take Jones & the excemption, I'd do it.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Count me out of the group that wants Baby Al back. Like the original poster said, he's going to command starter dollars, and like someone else said, he probably will start.

Those of us on the Granger bandwagon want Danny to start, and don't want the young talent to be so deep on the bench that they never see the light of day b/c of the money we're throwing at guys like Al, who probably won't help the locker room (ie if Granger starts).

I just think a move for Al is the wrong one. We need a pure shooter/scorer at 2, to complement JO, then we need to hope the rest of the pieces fit. Hopefully DW and Bird will figure that part of it out.
    The NBA ... it's fannnnnnnnn-tastic! I LOVE this game!

Quote Originally Posted by Jose Slaughter
    I think the whole league is waiting to see what happens with either Harrington or Iverson. I would rather the Pacers go after Wilcox. I think with the trade excemption & the sale of the Sonics the time is right to make them an offer that would save them big money.

The downside is that reports are Wilcox is looking for something around 10M & that simply isn't gonna happen. If the Sonics would take Jones & the excemption, I'd do it.
    I read where the Suns inquired about Wilcox and the sonics reply? we'll trade you Wilcox for Shawn Marion!! Can you freaking believe that? NO way we get Wilcox, although I'd like him, too.

well i wouldnt trust opinions because they are bias, if you look at his numbers from last year in that image i posted it shows he was better on blocks and rebounds then AL and as far as 3's he's about the same
    I think it's pretty simple and obvious why Drew puts up more blocks and rebounds. Drew gets more boards from dealing with Lebron jacking upo shots, while Al is the number one option on O. Drew plays more of a cleanup role. Drew also has Z so he can do the wekside block thing. I considere Drew and Al the same player and like quite a few have said, I don't want Al and personally, i wouldn't want Drew, either.
    Hey! What're you kicking me for? You want me to ask? All right, I'll ask! Ma'am, where do the high school girls hang out in this town?

Drew Gooden is capable of being a good defender, but mentally he is very inconsistant at that endof the floor, and that is why he rarely played late in close games

Quote Originally Posted by Bball

Huh. I never made the connection.
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

I notice discussion of Gooden as a big 3 or that he could play 3. Maybe I'm misunderstanding and correct me if I'm wrong, but Gooden is definitively a 4 with maybe the ability to put in some backup minutes at 5. Does not have the fundamental or physical skills required of a 3.

IDK specifics, and again feel free to correct this if need be, but I think Al and Gooden would essentially be looking for the same ball park in a long term deal. Somewhere in the 60 mil range. I believe Nene's signing numbers with the Nugs have led both Gooden and Wilcox to try and ask for bigger money than may feel they are worth.

Of those three mentioned, if I were going to pay that much (or more) to any, Al is the most deserving. He's more proven than those guys and I think brings more to the table in terms of verstatility, attitude, and offensive game, all of which are things we currently need. I don't think the other two guys have the track record to command the type of deal we're talking about.

Maybe we need not wrap that much up in Al. Maybe the brass will come to this conclusion. However, I don't think that money will be better spent, at least not without significant risk on any of the remaining "big name" FAs, than it would be on Al.

Quote Originally Posted by MagicRat
    Huh. I never made the connection.
    I thought it was time I spelled it out.

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Hall of Famers FrenchConnection's Avatar
    Mood

Eddie House has to be available what with the Suns getting Marcus Banks:
    http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_ar..._with_phoenix/

Maybe he will be the next move? Just a thought.

Sports Logo

well i wouldnt trust opinions because they are bias, if you look at his numbers from last year in that image i posted it shows he was better on blocks and rebounds then AL and as far as 3's he's about the same also i looked at how much he made last year and it was about $2 Million less the AL so if he signed him it would be atleast $2 Million less then signing AL.

but again, this is only my opinion
    From an offensive perspective....I think that Gooden is a solid....and even underrated PF.

I'm just speaking from a defensive perspective.....where there are various Cavs fans that say that his defensive skills are lacking.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.