Thread: OT Revenues are down luxury tax back in

Default OT Revenues are down luxury tax back in

I labeled this thread OT because right now I am focused on the playoffs.

But coming out of the NBA board of Governors meeting last week, revenues are down meaning the slary cap will not increase as much as they thought and the luxury tax kicking in is much more likely.

I mention this because there has been a lot of talk all season that the lux tax won't be a factor.

Default Re: OT Revenues are down luxury tax back in

Yep, and anyone who would have made management decisions last summer with the premise there was not going to be a luxury tax this season would have been a fool.

There were very few fools in the NBA.

Sports Logo

How can they say revenues are down? They just announced that atendance was 4th highest in league history. They sold more jerseys than ever before and are getting more tv money than last year. That is total b@llshit.

I would like to know in what area are they down if gate and merchandise are better than last year and among the highest ever where is it down?

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

are you sure the article is correct? from what i understand, basketball-related income (bri, a very specific thing in the cba) is down but league revenues are up.

the league has weird rules on what constitutes basketball-related income. specifically, jerseys (and other merchandise) are not considered. gate receipts are though. bri being down has salary cap and luxury tax implications, but the league still makes its money.

I'll tell you why. Cause people like me got smart and started buying 20-ounce bottles of water at Starbucks for $1.60, instead of 10-ounce bottles upstairs for $3.

Seriously, it means people are buying less food and less merchandise. Just like movie theaters, this is where teams make their money. Gate receipts and TV-money (bri) all go to player's salaries.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!