Thread: Q.O.D. 7/17..... correct link

Banned

Default Q.O.D. 7/17..... correct link

They made a boo boo properly linking to todays QOD. Here it is the correct link for those that want to read it.

Q. I'm a little confused as to how the Pacers can improve cohesively when they have multiple players that can play multiple positions. I understand that it allows more versatility with matchups. However, I watched the Pistons keep the same lineup, with the same people, playing the same positions become very successful. They had a very cohesive group. There has been a lot of discussion the last two years on how the Pacers couldn't compete because of all the lineup changes, and people playing lots of different positions, and the lack of cohesion. So, how does a new team that seems to be designed to do what we have been trying to avoid help people get comfortable out on the floor with each other? (From Chris in Indianapolis)

A. There's no question the events of the past two seasons disrupted the Pacers' team chemistry in a major way. But it wasn't so much that the lineup had to change or players found themselves in unusual positions it was the circumstances that forced those changes. When a team goes through a seemingly never-ending series of traumatic events, as the Pacers have, the mental strain of constantly coping with adversity wears on the players. In 2004-05, they were able to maintain a defiant spirit that bonded the players and produced an inspiring result. In 2005-06, when injury after injury brought about the same muddled mixture of lineups and roles, that bond disintegrated under the weight of frustration.

Team chemistry is built in a number of ways, and a very important one is the clear definition, understanding and acceptance of roles. Does that mean the starting lineup has to remain inviolate? Not necessarily. It would make things easier if the lineup was able to remain relatively intact (for a change) because that would allow consistent roles to be established in terms of who's in the rotation and what the primary combinations will be. That doesn't depend on guys playing the same position every time, but it does require different groups to be established – big lineup, small lineup, fast lineup, etc.

Given the changes that already have transpired, and the likelihood that more are on the way, it will take some time for the players to learn their teammates' strengths, weaknesses and tendencies. Newcomers and holdovers will be in much the same boat, though, as all will be learning what promises to be a different style of play than was necessary the past couple of years. You raise a very important point, one that has gone largely overlooked by dopes like me who've focused almost solely on talent, and it is one that will merit study throughout the season. I wouldn't expect this team to mesh immediately but, given time and good health, it should happen.

http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/question_060717.html

Default Re: Q.O.D. 7/17..... correct link

Given time and health they will mesh. I'm warm and fuzzy now.

Dunno somehow i think it will turn out as a problem in the end. This reminds me of that quote from last season about how talents is the most important thing and chemistry will come later. Now they dump it all on injuries and ronron i guess, we will see how it will turn out. Im positive it will be much better than the last season though .

Banned

How can one not lay a fair amount of the blame on Ron? Any time a player that is so integral to everything you are trying to do on both sides of the floor completely melts down it is going to effect everything you are trying to do.

Injuries.... well no team can compete when decimated by injuries, but injuries are a part of the game. You just have to deal with that aspect of it as best you can. Two years ago the guys really played their hearts out during the injuries and suspensions, last year they played uninspired at best when dealing with the adversity of Ron and injuries.

What flavor Kool-Aide is this?

I think Reggie said last season we will have chemistry issues before injuries. And im not saying Ron is not to blame, he screwed up everything here quite badly. However i dont think he was the only issue here. Not having to deal with ron this season is a big positive but if we wont deal with the issues we still have chemistry problems will arise again. But there is still quite a lot of time for making changes and thats the reason im quite happy. What im afraid is the same talent > chemistry thing and that "they will mesh" if they play consistent roles which i believe is not allways the case, especially if players are played not in theyr natural postions too often.

Quote Originally Posted by ssmall
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think Reggie said last season we will have chemistry issues before injuries.
    Er . . . I don't think you said what you meant, because that doesn't quite make sense for the simple reason injuries aren't a given. For instant, look at Detroit's starting five the last two years.

One thing he did say when broadcasting his first Pacer game was Ron wasn't the problem. This was before Ron made himself the problem. Now he didn't say who the the problem was and I don't think it was Croshere so the problem he was referring to has to still be on the Pacers.

Quote Originally Posted by Jose Slaughter
    What flavor Kool-Aide is this?
    Blue Kool-Aid is OK, but don't drink it if it's gold.

The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen
    Er . . . I don't think you said what you meant, because that doesn't quite make sense for the simple reason injuries aren't a given. For instant, look at Detroit's starting five the last two years.

One thing he did say when broadcasting his first Pacer game was Ron wasn't the problem. This was before Ron made himself the problem. Now he didn't say who the the problem was and I don't think it was Croshere so the problem he was referring to has to still be on the Pacers.
    He meant that Reggie said it before the injuries took place, he just dropped a word. At least that's how I took his post to read.

Anyway, who says it was something as obvious as Tins vs Rick, or Jack acting up, or any of that. Maybe it was Kevin O'Neil making guys uncomfortable? Maybe it was just that the team as a whole didn't seem to mesh, but without being able to cite one specific change that would solve it.

I don't recall Reggie ever making it an either/or situation in his comments, as in "they have issues, but Ron isn't part of that". I think his comments about chemistry remained exclusive from his comments about Ron. He took up for Ron, just as DW, RC and Bird all did, but that doesn't mean that Reggie didn't see the team's interaction with Ron as perhaps tenuous. He just didn't see it as all Ron's fault.

That's true without a doubt. Seems like they are making changes directly aimed at appeasing JO (get one of his boys here) and Tinsley (move out K'ON, take a look at his former ast. coach from Iowa St). And Davis clearly comes in to be a players sounding board ala Mike Brown's role.

Forget all that, let's say these guys become bestest buddies like a sequel to Stand By Me. That still won't make the first month or so of basketball not look really rough. It's going to take a lot of PT for these guys to learn to play together, especially if there is still a Harrington trade to come.

Our hope as fans should be less on the first month and more on the final 2 months, in that it would be nice if they were a lot more stable by that point this season than they were last. I can't take another 17 starting lineups or whatever it was.

Quote Originally Posted by ssmall
    This reminds me of that quote from last season about how talents is the most important thing and chemistry will come later.
    Nice recall. How did I forget that quote?

I remember going ballistic when that hit the papers.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Banned

Chemistry develops over time. It almost never happens instantly. It is closely tied to trust. Without one you cant have the other. You can't draft it, you cant trade for it and you cant sign it on the free agent market. It only happens once players start to get familiar with one another and start trusting one another.

Quote Originally Posted by naptown
    Chemistry develops over time. It almost never happens instantly. It is closely tied to trust. Without one you cant have the other. You can't draft it, you cant trade for it and you cant sign it on the free agent market. It only happens once players start to get familiar with one another and start trusting one another.
    Thank you, I was just going to say this. You can't really trade for good chemsitry, BUT there are ways that you can avoid trading for bad chemistry by generally avoiding known cancers. Sometimes it can work but I think eventually they wear out their welcome.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Chemistry is a funny thing. Yes, you establish it over time, but only if you are succesful. If you aren't succesful, people get canned or traded and then people say, "But we had no chemistry." On the other hand, if you have succes, then that in itself encourages stability. Basically, talent MUST come first.

He meant that Reggie said it before the injuries took place
    Yep thats what i ment. English is not my motherlanguage so sorry if its hard to understand some things i write, im trying my best.