Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Summer League Wrap-Up.... closing thoughts on Summer League Players

Default Summer League Wrap-Up.... closing thoughts on Summer League Players

I didn't see this until today: http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/summer_central_2006.html

Anyway, what are your thoughts on the individuals who played for our summer league? Do you want them on this team?

The "Veterans"
    Danny and Harrison both played very well. Neither consistently dominated in terms of numbers, but then they didn't spend a ton of time on the court, either. Both looked solid and played well, and both displayed some new moves we haven't seen before (including an improved post game from Hulk, and an emerging one from Danny).

The Rookies
    It's too soon to call White the steal of the draft, but I think we've got a keeper here. Despite what the Orlando guys said, I really everything I saw. Bird and Carlisle talked about what a competitor he was, and we saw it today. He played solid D all week, and his offense wasn't nearly as raw as it was made out to be. Definitely a keeper, and he's probably ready for some backup minutes this year.

Williams was harder to tell. He did some nice things around the basket, but didn't put up huge numbers. I'd like to see him play more before I have a hard and fast opinion, but I think he's got the potential to be a very good player. He's not a 4 yet, even though we played him there, but with some extra time in the weight room it could happen. For now, he's best as a three. I'd like us to pick up another 3 if we trade Jack, but I'd like to see what he could do against real NBA players at a position he's actually ready for.

The Free Agents
    This is what will get a lot of attention in this thread, I'm sure. Snap played very well (24 points in today's win), and Coppenrath wasn't nearly the stiff I took him for. Is there anybody else that you guys think could make the team?
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Summer League Wrap-Up.... closing thoughts on Summer League Players

I liked Snap as well but don't know where he would fit in unless we traded one of our PG's for a big

Hall of Famers FrenchConnection's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I just want to be able to post Oh Snap!!! in the game threads next year.

To bad Artest is gone or we would have snap, crackle, and pop.

Hunter = Snap
    Artest = Crackle
    Jackson = Pop

White, looked really nice. I've had this feeling he was going to be good since we drafted him and maybe i'll be right.

Snap looks decent but, seems like a turnover machine, the summer league game vs. Chicago he turned the ball over at least 5-6 times in the first half before I stopped watching. Maybe we should pass on him again this year.

Williams looked okay but, does need some improvements I see White getting more minutes next year.

White looked terrific. He's big, quick, and athletic. He already plays adequate defense at the NBA level, and he's a good enough ball-handler to help out the PG. I could see him starting a few games this year. Jackson's always been good at coming off the bench, and White probably won't be looking for his own shots nearly as much. He had good assist numbers in the summer league.

Snap can score but I don't think he has a future as an NBA point guard. Corey Harris looked like a much better floor general.

Ricky Minard put up good scoring numbers.

Harrison's scoring numbers were good but his rebounding was not.

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

shawne williams played in only one game. after that, he "tweaked" his hamstring

not wanting to sound like bball, but is this guy the new bender? i can understand that the coaching staff may not want to risk him unnecessarily for summer league games (danny granger was held out last year too), but still...

it's probably jumping to conclusions, but i'm afraid shawne might turn out to be another guy with a low threshold of pain

james white looked great though. i expect he'll be part of the regular rotation.

of the other guys, snap hunter looks the best. unfortunately, his position is loaded unless we trade some guys. damone brown is in the same boat. coppenrath is ok, plus his is a position of need. i guess he has the best chance of making the team (a la john edwards)

Quote Originally Posted by wintermute
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    not wanting to sound like bball, but is this guy the new bender? i can understand that the coaching staff may not want to risk him unnecessarily for summer league games (danny granger was held out last year too), but still...
    He was the #17 in a weak draft. He's no Bender.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I didn't get a chance to see any of the summer league games, so I'm going on what I get from these posts.

White can be a decent back-up for us, this year? I'm in favor of starting 'Quis, and a guy like White seems to be a perfect bench player as a rookie.

Williams will need some time - but we knew that didn't we? Coming out, every one said, "if he had stayed in college, he'd be a lottery pick next year - this way he'll be a project for some one." So, I expect he'll see marginal minutes because we all know how Carlisle operates, and he'll be a good player in a year or two, which is fine by me.

Snap and Coppenrath obviously impressed, and both have a shot at the final roster. I know there's a lot of love on here for Snap, and I wouldn't mind seeing him. But, do we need Coppenrath more?

Like I said, this is all from what I can gather from the summer league posts, so it may not be 100% correct. Thoughts?
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

@The_Real_CJake

Quote Originally Posted by pizza guy
    Snap and Coppenrath obviously impressed, and both have a shot at the final roster. I know there's a lot of love on here for Snap, and I wouldn't mind seeing him. But, do we need Coppenrath more?
    I wondered the same thing. I'd actually like to pick them both up. We've got room.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem
    I wondered the same thing. I'd actually like to pick them both up. We've got room.
    You know, if I would have actually thought about that, I may have realized it.

Sometimes, I wonder about myself...
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

@The_Real_CJake

Danny and David have shown a lot of improvement. I really like seeing David knock down those FTs

Flight is S M O O T H. I didn't see too much of Shawne but he looked pretty decent out there when I did see him. Snap is just something else. I really like that guy!

OH, SNAP!

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Link to Pacer's Summer League Stats for the whole week:

http://www.nba.com/media/magic/06slstats_pacers.pdf
    "Just look at the flowers ........ BANG"

Mood

Judging by the numbers I hink Coppenrath could be a decent 11th or 12th man brung in.
    STARBURY

08 and Beyond

Coppenrath is the real deal, he would be a nice backup PF to JO (in a Croshere role).

I didn't get to watch Shawne, but I think Flight is going to be one heck of a player. He reminds me of Granger in that he appears to be a smart, hard-nosed rookie who is also blessed with athleticism and skill. I really like what I've seen of the kid so far.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Quote Originally Posted by Robertmto
    Judging by the numbers I hink Coppenrath could be a decent 11th or 12th man brung in.
    He had 7 points and 4 rebounds per game in Summer League, stop fibbin.

Mood

I didn't like what I read about James White today in the Star:

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...TS04/607150466

White, who likes to question the calls with the officials
    Greaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat.

Oh he will fit right in

Sports Logo

Whose this D.Brown guy?

He averaged 10.8ppg/7.3rpg/1.3bpg/1spg/1.8 TOpg in 112 total minutes/28.9 mpg over 4 games.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    I didn't like what I read about James White today in the Star:

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...TS04/607150466

Greaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat.
    I watched 4 of the 5 games, and I didn't see that.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem
    I watched 4 of the 5 games, and I didn't see that.
    I saw 3 of them and didn't see it...

Mood

Okay, but you don't seriously think Wells just typed that in for the fun of it, do you?

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC
    Whose this D.Brown guy?

He averaged 10.8ppg/7.3rpg/1.3bpg/1spg/1.8 TOpg in 112 total minutes/28.9 mpg over 4 games.
    Damone Brown who is in all reality better than Coppenrath, but just doesn't play up to his ability.
    STARBURY

08 and Beyond

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    Okay, but you don't seriously think Wells just typed that in for the fun of it, do you?
    Possibly.