Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Oden added to USA Basketball roster {INDYSTAR}

Hall of Famers FrenchConnection's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Oden added to USA Basketball roster {INDYSTAR}

Quote Originally Posted by Robertmto
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You kep saying LeBron. What about Kwame, Robert Swift, Dorrell Wright, Travis Outlaw, Ndudi Ebi, and even Diop. All were heavilt hyped all were letdowns.
    The difference here is that Oden already understands the game of basketball. Those "letdowns" (I think that Kwame will still be a good NBA player because of his ability to guard the post) were all physical potential and no baksetball IQ or smarts. Greg could simply dominate his highschool games, but he plays within the gameplan. He is humble and keeps his teammates involved. That is why K-Stats comparison to the admiral are spot on. He'll have to develop some additional post moves to compete at the NBA level, but that could be said about any young big man. But he already is a better passer than many NBA centers and that aspect of his game will only get better. No, he will be a very good to great NBA player.

Mood

You guys ar ebasing all of this on Greg dominating kids that will probably not even make DII programs. I can't give him all these magnificent comparisons until i see him play against players as big, strong, and good as him.
    STARBURY

08 and Beyond

Quote Originally Posted by PaCeRs_GuRL
    Nuh uh. No way. No how. This guy works hard. He's not going to be one of those number one picks whose name dies off after a couple of seasons (aka a bust). He's an All-Star.
    Unfortunately, I don't think All Star is gonna cut it with the hype. Obviously, being an All Star is a great goal for any player to shoot for, but given that his hype is similar to Lebron's coming out of high school, he's gonna hafta be better than Bosh, Dwight Howard and Yao to truly live up to what people are hyping him to be.

It's sad, but I think it's true.
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

Follow my twitter:

@8pts9secs

Arrow Re: Oden added to USA Basketball roster {INDYSTAR}

You guys ar ebasing all of this on Greg dominating kids that will probably not even make DII programs. I can't give him all these magnificent comparisons until i see him play against players as big, strong, and good as him.
    As Kstat has already said, Oden has proved himself against some of the best high school players in the country. And, he has not just played for the Wildcats; he has spent considerable time with his AAU team as well. Like Kstat, I've seen Oden play a number of times (in person, which always does more for evaluating talent than through television/tape/etc.), and against "tough" competition, and I'm a firm believer he will pan out to be a great player (so long as he keeps that great, humble attitude of his).

We will all just have to wait and see.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I guess you didn't watch the McDonalds game. Whenever he was in the game, the West stayed on the perimeter. The very first shot by his man was a 16fter that he blocked while standing in the lane.

You're saying that he's going to be a bust because all of the other HS big men that haven't done anything in the league yet, but they haven't nearly had the impact that he has had.

Also DII programs? You definately missed the state finals game when he went against Jordan Armstrong, who is playing for Southern Illinios, and lets not forget the already mentioned game against McRoberts.

I've watched several of his AAU games at Speice, which brings in the top talent in the nation, and he's the best player day in and day out.

Mood

I also saw some of his games with the Spiece Heat. And yes I saw him in the McDonalds game. I also saw Bender in the McDonalds game. Until he does amazing things in the Big 10 and beyond I'm not hypin him.
    STARBURY

08 and Beyond

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

ur exactly right. but i have to be biased while Jamsons a Wizard

2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Mourning
    STARBURY

08 and Beyond

I also saw some of his games with the Spiece Heat. And yes I saw him in the McDonalds game. I also saw Bender in the McDonalds game. Until he does amazing things in the Big 10 and beyond I'm not hypin him.
    Did you miss what he did to Tyler Hansborough?

The same exact Tyler Hansborough that absolutely KILLED his competition in the ACC, and was the Conference ROY.

Banned

Since86, its obvious that he's not seen Oden play very often, I think you're fighting a losing battle here, because he's simply either jealous or wanting to take a contrary opinion to the rest of the world.

This offseason is really slow, so I've got to find something to keep me occupied.

I just don't know how you can say he hasn't shown anything, because he's only playing against "6'4" Indiana centers," when the man has back-to-back national AAU titles.

I've seen Greg play almost every HS game over the past 3 years and I thoroughly believe he will be great in the NBA. I've seen him go up against players like Hansborough and McRoberts and dominate. He steps up and plays his best ball when he is challenged. The Big Ten and then the NBA in a few years will just be another challenge for him. My favorite characteristic of Greg is his constant improvement. Throughout his HS career he was constantly improving. Both his basketball smarts and his actual game improved vastly over his time at LN. Now with an excellent coach at OSU in Matta, Greg will keep improving and dominate the Big 10.

Mood

Sure I'll take heat for not thinking he will be everything that you guys think he will be, But I will not bow at his feet until he shows me somethin against real competition.
    STARBURY

08 and Beyond