Thread: Should the Pacers just go for cap space?

cariocapacer

Default Should the Pacers just go for cap space?

I think the pacers ought to just consider clearing cap space for next year. Jackson and Tinsley really donīt seem to be in the plans and there donīt seem to be any good speculation of them going anywhere. The Pacers could trade them both (+ the JJ exception) for someone like Eddie Jones and clear about $13 million in cap space for next year.

Of course this would have made a lot more sense if we had kept Croushere and then we could have had about $20 million in cap space.

Sports Logo

Default Re: Should the Pacers just go for cap space?

Doing so would likely mean that we don't do anything to improve on what little we do have.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Not to mention that clearing cap space just to have it doesn't mean that you will get to do anything with it. Who would be available to use the space on and will they fit with our hol overs?

Jamal Magloire has only a year to go on his contract. Taking him now allows you to have him this season, and reserving the option to sign him again or free up his $8.5 million contract.

I don't agree with the suggestion that we should make cap space a goal in its own right. But he's a player who could help us now and reserve that option for next year.

cariocapacer, what especially do you want to do with the cap space next year? The way Donnie Walsh explained it, being below the cap isn't much of an advantage -- unless you are $20 million below it and there is a superstar free agent on the market who wants to come to Indy. Staying under the luxury tax is vital for the Pacers, but Walsh talked like he can work on either side of the salary cap.
    And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Clearing cap space to sign FAs is pointless, because no big name FAs will sign here.

If we return to being a lotto team, this franchise's days wll be numbered.

cariocapacer

Not to mention that clearing cap space just to have it doesn't mean that you will get to do anything with it. Who would be available to use the space on and will they fit with our hol overs?
    cariocapacer, what especially do you want to do with the cap space next year?

The way Donnie Walsh explained it, being below the cap isn't much of an advantage
    Donnie also said havinga trade exception is the same as being under the cap which is pure BS! Besides, Toronto and NO seems to be improving themselves through cap space this year. If we had it this year, AL or Bonzi would be easier to get. There will always be someone you can either sign or trade for (unless you are Atlanta - and we arenīt).

Sure getting Magloire is a form of getting cap space as well and if you can get him for Jax and Tins you should do it. My point is that Joes wouldnīt be a big comedown from Jax and Tinsley seems to be the odd man out at the point anyway. If there are decent offers for these guys take them, if not go for the cap space as I doubt it will make much difference in our w-L record this year whether we have those guys or not.

That is an interesting take, but IMO the only teams with cap-room are bad teams, definite if not near lottery teams. The current team assembled is not a lottery team. We had a bad year last year, but with a superstar in JO and an adequate talent around him, we are a competitive championship team. If we want to go for cap space, we should trade JO and head to the Greg Oden sweepstakes.