Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Donnie Walsh worships "Satan"

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

Default Re: Donnie Walsh worships "Satan"

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'll have a downloadable version available soon. If anyone is interested, I can upload it. (Reply here to let me know)
    Yes, please
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Mourning
    Yes, please
    umm, mourning...

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pig Nash
    umm, mourning...

did you not see this?

2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JayRedd
    How does McKey taking 5-6 more jumpers per game and making 3-4 of them equate to us getting past Jordan, Shaq or Timmy/Admiral?
    We really, really, really needed a third scoring option. McKey had the skills to be that third option but just didn't want to take the shots.

LB tried everything he could think of to get Derrick to step up to that plate. When he didn't do it, it became very difficult to find enough offense.

I think that is why a number of us older fans fell in love with Artest so quickly. It was almost like having a Derrick McKey who wasn't afraid to shoot the ball. Then, of course, Satan punished us for those thoughts.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

Wow, thanks a bunch Hicks.

For all of the knocks on Donnie Walsh, one thing you can not knock him for is his speaking, even if this isnt exactly a "huge" audience.

I would love to sit down and have a basketball conversation with him.

Actually, had McKey taken those shots later in his career, we'd probably have 2 banners hanging from the rafters. We talk about teams packing it into the paint and sagging off of Jeff Foster. Well, they did the same thing to McKey. The difference is, everyone knows McKey could hit that shot, but he never took it. He'd hold on to it, stare at the rim for a few seconds, then pass the ball.

Of course, that might be all wishful thinking, considering he spent the better part of 2 years nursing some injury or another. He was never the same after that.

Quote Originally Posted by Eindar
    Actually, had McKey taken those shots later in his career, we'd probably have 2 banners hanging from the rafters.
    Once again....which team were we beating by adding 15 ppg out of McKey: MJ's Bulls, Timmy's Spurs or Shaq's Lakers.

Two banners is a streeeeetch. Maybe one more Finals appearence. Doubtful on the rings.
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

Follow my twitter:

@8pts9secs

Once again....which team were we beating by adding 15 ppg out of McKey: MJ's Bulls, Timmy's Spurs or Shaq's Lakers.

Two banners is a streeeeetch. Maybe one more Finals appearence. Doubtful on the rings.
    Utah?
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"

Quote Originally Posted by BillS
    Utah?
    Well, that's assuming we would have beaten Chicago in '98, which I'm not ready to do even if McKey averaged 30 a game. Jordan had a terrible 4th Quarter in Game 7 and we still lost. I'm pretty sure he had superpowers that Derrick McKey scoring would not have overcome.

But yes, we would have destroyed Utah in 98 if we somehow beat Superman.
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

Follow my twitter:

@8pts9secs

Well if were talking Chicago, I remember Pippen had a field day in harassing Jackson all the way down the court. There had to be some reason the Bulls thought they could get by without covering Heavy D.

I will admit of course, knowing the refs were not going to call anything on Pippen for the mugging helped somewhat.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

Wow, it is the off season isn't it. I love the trip down memory lane.

Switching gears...

Donnie seemed relaxed and was speaking with the confidence of someone who knows exactly what he wants—someone who is focused, energized and determined. Not that of someone who "lacks vision."

A couple of things of note:

"...management, coaches, players...there were fans that were upset with us and they should have been."

"...the process is not only going out and getting new players on the team...it's also going internally to look at what we didn't do in the last two years—from my standpoint, from the coaches standpoint, from the players standpoint—and start addressing that."

Sounds like someone taking accountability for the past two years when he could have easily shifted the blame to the circumstances surrounding Ron and the suspensions and the injuries.

"...and we've reached the point where it's a given that we're going to make the playoffs when it isn't always a given on every franchise, and that's not enough—and I think we have to accept that and move past whatever that means."

Again, doesn't sound like someone who is only satisfied with making the playoffs as has been foolishly suggested many times around here. Of course, actions speak louder than words and their actions suggest they're not just talking to hear themselves talk.

Well, that's assuming we would have beaten Chicago in '98, which I'm not ready to do even if McKey averaged 30 a game. Jordan had a terrible 4th Quarter in Game 7 and we still lost. I'm pretty sure he had superpowers that Derrick McKey scoring would not have overcome.

But yes, we would have destroyed Utah in 98 if we somehow beat Superman.
    Guess we have to disagree, because I think the '98 team was our best NBA team. Another scoring option and we take advantage of that 7th game situation.
    BillS

You know, after the last few seasons Satan doesn't seem like such a bad alternative.

Here just for the Satan worshipers out there I will throw you a bone I will give the top three plays by our Dark Lord.

3. 1994 Satan rises up from 3/4 of the freethrow line from the left of the basket & lays down one of the most monsterous 2 handed dunks I've ever seen vs. his old Sonic team mates. The rain man was so inspired he went on to father three more children in Satans honor.

2. The disembodied head of Satan floats near the ear of Scottie Pippen & whispers sweet nothings into his ear causing Scottie to both smirk & then miss both free throws. Shawn Kemp fathers another child in celebration

1. Micheal Jordan drives the lane to give the Bulls an insirmountale lead in the waning seconds of game 4 of the E.C finals. Satan kicks M.J. in the foot causing him to trip & lose the ball out of bounds leading to a heroic shot by Reggie Miller to give the Pacers the lead. Shawn Kemp eats a pie in amazement that someone actually got by with fouling Jordan with no call when usually there was no foul but a call.

Quote Originally Posted by Peck
    You know, after the last few seasons Satan doesn't seem like such a bad alternative.

Here just for the Satan worshipers out there I will throw you a bone I will give the top three plays by our Dark Lord.

3. 1994 Satan rises up from 3/4 of the freethrow line from the left of the basket & lays down one of the most monsterous 2 handed dunks I've ever seen vs. his old Sonic team mates. The rain man was so inspired he went on to father three more children in Satans honor.

2. The disembodied head of Satan floats near the ear of Scottie Pippen & whispers sweet nothings into his ear causing Scottie to both smirk & then miss both free throws. Shawn Kemp fathers another child in celebration

1. Micheal Jordan drives the lane to give the Bulls an insirmountale lead in the waning seconds of game 4 of the E.C finals. Satan kicks M.J. in the foot causing him to trip & lose the ball out of bounds leading to a heroic shot by Reggie Miller to give the Pacers the lead. Shawn Kemp eats a pie in amazement that someone actually got by with fouling Jordan with no call when usually there was no foul but a call.

LMAO

Well, it sounds like you should prepare yourself for...

cf. the thread about new mottos...

Your Indiana Pacers... In a World Gone Mad!

(this is a bit of an inside joke for Mighty Marvel-ites...)
    BillS

Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace
    I personally blame McKey for the Pacers loss to the Magic in the 1995 ECF. Sure he made the nice pass to Smits at the end of game 4 but his offense AND defense was nearly non-existent the rest of the series. If he could've just slowed Nick Anderson down or provided a little more scoring in that series, the Pacers would've been headed to the Finals after game 6.
    Bull. Without McKey's scoring in the 4th of game 3, we'd probably have been swept.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy
    Bull. Without McKey's scoring in the 4th of game 3, we'd probably have been swept.

He was huge in game 3.

I know this is funny stuff, but the play to which you refer was actually at the end of Game 6, with Jordan trying to...tie or win?...the game.

Boyle: HE FELL DOWN! HE FELL DOWN! HE FELL DOWN! HE FELL DOWN!

<-- me, at a bar in downtown Indy

Also

he was untouched

seriously.

Mood

I thought the "HE FELL DOWN!!" moment was when Iverson did just that during Game 1 of the 2001 First-round playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    I thought the "HE FELL DOWN!!" moment was when Iverson did just that during Game 1 of the 2001 First-round playoffs.
    I'm pretty sure it was Jordan and Game 6, because after "HE FELL DOWN!" however many times, Boyle yelled something like "SEE... YOU... ON... SUNDAY!!!!" referring to the now-necessary Game 7 in Chicago.

Guess we have to disagree, because I think the '98 team was our best NBA team. Another scoring option and we take advantage of that 7th game situation.
    The '98 team was BY FAR the best Pacer team I've ever seen. But, yes, we'll have to otherwise disagree. I'm just not sure I can ever blame Derrick McKey's lack of scoring for the fact that we couldn't get by Jordan and Pippen.

I fully believe that we were the closest team to ever knock off MJ once he got past the Bad Boys (his "I'm Back" playoffs against Orlando don't count). But, I suppose I just think MJ would have found a way to counteract an extra 8 ppg by D. McKey in that Series.
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

Follow my twitter:

@8pts9secs

Scoring wasn't the problem with that team and it certainly wasn't the problem in that game 7. Look at the rebounding and defense that couldn't come with the stops when needed.

Paceers were outrebounded 50-34.
    22-4 on the offensive glass

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

IIRC, Rodman didn't even play that much during Game #7. It was Kukoc that did the damage.

Game seven was really all about Dale and Tony refusing to step out on the court to guard Kukoc. We'd generally neutralized Pippen. Jordan was doing his thing but Reggie was matching up as well as humanly possible.

We should've gone small, with Derrick at PF guarding Kukoc. And probably DD at center instead of Rik. Especially since Dale, Tony and Rik didn't really even help with rebounds. (And don't get me started on Dale's 3-10 from the line in a five point game.)
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you