Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Donnie Walsh worships "Satan"

Default Re: Donnie Walsh worships "Satan"

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I thought Derrick was a great player and had a great bball IQ.

Derrick perhaps deferred too much, but he understood that he was the third option and he was a consumate team-player/ pro on the court (even though he had the ability to be the first or second option.)

Just think how much happier we'd be with SJax if he deferred as much as Derrick did. After all, he has the ability to be a fourth or fifth option but shoots too often and turns the ball over too often because he tries to do things he can't/ shouldn't.

Derrick was Mr. Subtle. Which means the television did not reguarly pick up the little, but brilliant things he did. Watching him in person, I was reguarly amazed at how excellent he was at all the little things.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

What little things would those be?

Quote Originally Posted by Jay@Section204
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I thought Derrick was a great player and had a great bball IQ.

Derrick perhaps deferred too much, but he understood that he was the third option and he was a consumate team-player/ pro on the court (even though he had the ability to be the first or second option.)

Just think how much happier we'd be with SJax if he deferred as much as Derrick did. After all, he has the ability to be a fourth or fifth option but shoots too often and turns the ball over too often because he tries to do things he can't/ shouldn't.

Derrick was Mr. Subtle. Which means the television did not reguarly pick up the little, but brilliant things he did. Watching him in person, I was reguarly amazed at how excellent he was at all the little things.

I agree 100%, could not agree more.

Remember the 4th quarter of game 5 (the deciding game) against the Bucks in 2000, you know the one where Reggie had I think 38 points or so, Travis hit the big shot, Dale got the big rebound. Well McKey played the whole 4th quarter and I went back a couple of years ago and watched the whole 4th quarter again and I counted McKey having 9 deflections in that quarter alone. He had 3 steals that I counted. He shut down his own man and he had to help so much on Jalen's guy it was like Derrick was guarding two players. Pacers don't win that game without him, but most fans probably didn't even think Derrick was on the floor.

Who made the great pass to Smits in 1995 for the shot? against Orlando. McKey did. Go back and look at that play again. Not only was it a great pass under pressure, but that play took awhile to develope, it took awhile Rik to open up on that play, most players in that situation would have panicked thrown the ball to someone else. Inbounding in that situation is not easy and D was great at it as was Person years earlier.

McKey did so many little things that he helped the team win and that was what DW was talking about last night. As Phil Jackson said in 1995, the MVP for the '94 and '95 Pacers was Derrick McKey. I agree with that. He slowed down and was injured a lot after the 1996 season. Of course we later found out one of his leg was an inch shorter than the other

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

i wish i could get some classic Pacers games on dvd
    If you havin' depth problems, I feel bad for you son; I got 99 problems but a bench ain't one! - Hicks
    [/center]
    @thatguyjoe84

I suppose he was also the one passed the ball inbounds to Reggie in the Bulls series for that shot, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen
    McKey was good but he wasn't as good as Walsh made him sound. When he was here there were a lot of us unhappy with McKey because he would pass up open 15 foot jumpers. If he would have been just normally assertive as most players are when it comes to shooting I think we could have won a title in the late 90's.
    As Will pointed out, it was the passing on open jumpers that drove many crazy. With Dale not being a shooter our forward positions didn't provide alot of scoring. This wasn't as big a deal with Reg, Smits, Scott, and later Mark being able to fill her up, but it did mean teams were able to cheat more on doubling Smits. Of course by that token maybe that's why McKey was able to get a pretty fair share of rebounds in his days here.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

I've always said that McKey is the smartest basketball player I've ever seen play for the Pacers. I break it down to two categories. Being a smart player and having great basketball instincts.

Tinsley has great basketball instincts, but he's not a smart player at all.

Mark Jackson had the best basketball instincts I've ever seen of any Pacer player. McKey's instincts weren't the best but he was so smart.

Yes he did and that was a good pass, but the pass to Smits was great

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    What little things would those be?
    Just focus on watching Derrick.

Little things like the quality of his pick, his off the ball movement and spacing.

His passing into the post.

When he'd tip a ball (either on a rebound or defensively) it would never go to an opponent or out-of-bounds, he had the uncanny ability to tip a ball to a teammate.

The way he'd "flash" on defense, he knew where to step and which arm to "show" to make a help-defense play without really leaving him man unattended.

He could play post defense but still break contact and disrupt the passing lane (without giving his man a free lane to the basket.)

McKey had more game-winning last-second scores than any other active player, as of the 1996 season. Many of those had occurred in Seattle, but he brought that with him to Indy.

I love statistics and data, but McKey was a player who contributed a great deal that didn't show up in the box score.
    And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    I agree 100%, could not agree more.

Remember the 4th quarter of game 5 (the deciding game) against the Bucks in 2000, you know the one where Reggie had I think 38 points or so, Travis hit the big shot, Dale got the big rebound. Well McKey played the whole 4th quarter and I went back a couple of years ago and watched the whole 4th quarter again and I counted McKey having 9 deflections in that quarter alone. He had 3 steals that I counted. He shut down his own man and he had to help so much on Jalen's guy it was like Derrick was guarding two players. Pacers don't win that game without him, but most fans probably didn't even think Derrick was on the floor.

Who made the great pass to Smits in 1995 for the shot? against Orlando. McKey did. Go back and look at that play again. Not only was it a great pass under pressure, but that play took awhile to develope, it took awhile Rik to open up on that play, most players in that situation would have panicked thrown the ball to someone else. Inbounding in that situation is not easy and D was great at it as was Person years earlier.

McKey did so many little things that he helped the team win and that was what DW was talking about last night.
    You couldn't be more on point. I don't have any more in-game examples to add, but I remember what this guy did on the nightly.

McKey was one of the top defensive players we've ever had. The consumate pro and one of the most fundamentally sound guys with a great feel for the game and understanding of how to make sure everyone on the court was kept in the flow of the game.

Those are the things that get unnoticed in today's "Plays of the Day" culture. You guys are jumping on him for passing up shots, but how often did him passing up an open 18 footer lead to the extra swing pass to a wide-open Jalen (or Reggie or Mullin or Perkins or Best) in the corner that would get the Pacers two points and start that player on a scoring streak. And the guy was a master of close-outs, hedge and recover, defensive rotation, and all the other things that great defenders do that aren't steals or blocks. On offense, he'd make great post entries to Smits and the Davis boys, and knew exactly when and where to free up Reggie by screening his man.

And it didn't matter if he was playing 15 or 40 mins in a game. The minute he left the scorer's table, he was fully engaged in the game and making plays to help the team score points and make stops. Not something many players can do anymore.

To appreciate what Derrick McKey brought to the game, you have to appreciate fundamental basketball. Guy was a horse.
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

Follow my twitter:

@8pts9secs

Who hit the back-to-back three's late in the fourth quater of Game #7 in 1994?

A: Derrick McKey.

Mark Boyle, nearly hoarse, is screaming "He Hits!! He Hits!!"

Slick doesn't yell "Boom, Baby!" - he's off wandering the halls of MSG smoking a cigarette because he was so nervous. But Derrick had icewater in his veins.

Donnie Walsh worships "Satan" ( 1 2)
    Kegboy Today 03:02 PM
    by JayRedd 35 666

Wow, had to copy this when this thread said it had 666 views.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

Quote Originally Posted by RWB
    Donnie Walsh worships "Satan" ( 1 2)
    Kegboy Today 03:02 PM
    by JayRedd 35 666

Wow, had to copy this when this thread said it had 666 views.
    I also have a pentagram tattoed on my forehead. Be affraid.
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

Follow my twitter:

@8pts9secs

Amen, Jay and UB. Maybe he did pass on a few too many jumpers, but there is much more to being an effective team offensive player than shooting. Proper spacing, setting picks, keeping the ball moving efficiently, offensive rebounds, getting the hell out of the way when necessary. I agree he was a very good complementary offensive player and a great defensive player (when healthy).

Quote Originally Posted by JayRedd
    I also have a pentagram tattoed on my forehead. Be affraid.
    Not too worried, I actually knew a practicing witch (no BS, not talking young people and the Goth thing, this was back in the early 80s) she was ok other than being a little crazy about nature.

Back on topic.....

We're not forgetting D's contributions and yes I do appreciate the little things, that's why Foster is probably my favorite player. But passing up those 12 to 15ft VERY MAKEABLE shots only to pass out to reset the offense is not good offense. Once again for me is not whether DMcKey was skilled, but rather did he max out that talent. Will points out if McKey had we would have won a championship. I would agree with that.

Quote Originally Posted by RWB
    Will points out if McKey had we would have won a championship. I would agree with that.
    How does McKey taking 5-6 more jumpers per game and making 3-4 of them equate to us getting past Jordan, Shaq or Timmy/Admiral?
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

Follow my twitter:

@8pts9secs

I remember wataching a fairly late regular season game in a bar in Bloomington against the Knicks. Couldn't place the exact year, but it would've had to been between 93 and 95.

We've got the last possession down 2, I think down 2, at the Garden. In the TO immediately preceeding, my buddy and I are discussing what the Pacers might do. I'm like, well I'd look for McKey. He promptly nails one of his patented (although fairly infrequent) corner threes to beat the buzzer.

I can't recall if that 3 won it or sent it to OT but we went on to win the game. I can see the frustration with his apparent lack of aggressiveness on O, but that was just his style. I think it was easy to confuse that with being disengaged and uninterested.

God knows if we don't have him to put on Jordan in the ECF in 98 during key stretches I don't think the series goes 7 games.

I agree with you RWB, if Mckey had a fault passing on shots was it. On the few occasions when he would go for 17 or 20, I would think, "now why doesn't he do that more often", because it seemed rather effortless, but that just wasn't his role.
    One other thing I love about him was how he seemed to stay right on his toes defensively while an opposing player was trying to pump fake him. He never went for the pump, but could get those long arms so quickly when the shot was delivered.

Quote Originally Posted by D-BONE
    God knows if we don't have him to put on Jordan in the ECF in 98 during key stretches I don't think the series goes 7 games.
    Or 5
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

Follow my twitter:

@8pts9secs

I must add though that I remember seeing Jalen on certain possessions playing about the best on-ball D of his career in that Bulls 98 series. I couldn't believe my eyes! Too bad it wasn't the rule as opposed to the exception.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by McClintic Sphere
    Amen, Jay and UB. Maybe he did pass on a few too many jumpers, but there is much more to being an effective team offensive player than shooting. Proper spacing, setting picks, keeping the ball moving efficiently, offensive rebounds, getting the hell out of the way when necessary. I agree he was a very good complementary offensive player and a great defensive player (when healthy).
    I agree that McKey was a great team player and was fundamentally sound. However, allow me to rain on this little lovefest for a minute.

I personally blame McKey for the Pacers loss to the Magic in the 1995 ECF. Sure he made the nice pass to Smits at the end of game 4 but his offense AND defense was nearly non-existent the rest of the series. If he could've just slowed Nick Anderson down or provided a little more scoring in that series, the Pacers would've been headed to the Finals after game 6.

I really soured on McKey after he got that new contract. He just seemed so lathargic after he got his raise and he entered training camp out of shape every season after that.

Overall, I'd say that he was a solid role-player that never really reached his potential because he didn't have enough desire to step up his game offensively... even when the coaches wanted him to.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

Was he lethargic or did he go through a series of frustrating (to the fans and Derrick) muscle injuries that limited his explosiveness.

After "The Season We Do Not Discuss" (Derrick missed a large number of games that season) he was never the same athletically- maybe in short bursts but he couldn't maintain it like he did in the early/ mid 1990s.

He was forced to pace himself, or we would've seen even less of him than we did.

Horse or hoarse?

That is the question for Jay....

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Ooops. Fixed.

Something tells me I'm about to get banned for comparing one of our esteemed posters to a barnyard animal.