Thread: Stephen Jackson

Default Stephen Jackson

If the rumor is true we are working to get Bonzi Wells and trade I would think these means we plan to keep Action Jackson. I am not convinced management will throw in the towel with him. He can hit the 3 and was brought in to be our 3rd scoring option but was forced to be our number 1 scoring option over the last 2 years due to injuries and suspensions. I think if he goes back to the second or third scoring option he may be just fine. I also think he has been made a scape goat to pin a lot of frustration on. Yes, he sometimes plays when too much passion and should be benched until he gets his head back in the game BUT this would seem to be a coaching problem not solely a player problem.

My gut says Stephen is a Pacer next year expecially with the moves we are making. Thoughts?

Default Re: Stephen Jackson

I agree he'll probably stay a Pacer, though I dont like it. Jackson's game has so much potential that it kills me to watch him play. He's a great slasher, decent shooter and decent defender. He does play with passion & has a heart and big kahunas to take last shots. But that's not the problem.

The problem is that he plays with what is referred here to as "low basketball IQ". He hogs the ball, stops game flow, passes late, has awful shot selection, and generally doesnt understand the game. He just wants to be "top dog" or something of the sort, and has no concept of team play and what it takes to win. He's also a ref-*****er, which is sometimes really annoying. I cant blame the crowds at Conseco booing him on occasion.

The true hope is that he'll be relegated to the bench behind Daniels & Granger (at 2 & 3) and be effective there, while learning his ego limitations (in a somewhat Stackhouse role).

Wait, what? If it's true we're about to land Bonzi , why would we keep Jax?

Jax, Daniels, and Bonzi on the same team?
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

I would rather keep Jax than get Bonzi.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I would rather keep Jax than get Bonzi.
    Amen

I thought that, contrary to some initial reports here, we actually hadn't even made Bonzi an offer. I've also heard his most lucrative one so far is from the Kings and he's just waiting for the biggest one.

That information could be wrong of course. Whatever our role in the Bonzi chase is, I've not taken moving Jack as an absolute done deal. That way, I won't be surprised/disappointed if he does wind up back here.

The intriguing question in my mind is what trade value might he have? Is there any team that actually considers him useful for their plans?

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem
    Wait, what? If it's true we're about to land Bonzi , why would we keep Jax?

Jax, Daniels, and Bonzi on the same team?

I agree with you. If the Pacers acquire Bonzi I don't see how the pacers could possibly keep Jax. There would be no minutes for him at either small forward or shooting guard. Unless the Pacers figure Marquis is going to play most of his minutes at the point

Amen to this entire topic.

Quote Originally Posted by Destined4Greatness
    Amen to this entire topic.

What, that Jax is more likely to stay?

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    What, that Jax is more likely to stay?
    Yes. Its not like Jax has helped to drag this team kicking and screaming to the playoffs the last 2 years or anything.

Quote Originally Posted by PacerCrazy
    My gut says Stephen is a Pacer next year expecially with the moves we are making. Thoughts?
    My gut says that the idea of SJax staying makes it want to quickly purge all of its contents up my esophogus, out of my mouth and onto my keyboard.
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

Follow my twitter:

@8pts9secs

We've signed a couple of draft picks that appears both are locked into the team. We've lost a starter to FA. We've traded away a player for a hopeful up and comer. Outside of maybe picking up a table scrap FA, in year's past we'd be set for the season with all that activity.

This off season shouldn't be like years past tho...

But yeah... If history is any indication it wouldn't majorly surprise me to see Sjax stay. I think it's asking for trouble without some changes in the hierarchy tho. Sjax had too much leash the past couple of years. Not sure how he'd react if that would change if the faces of leadership do not change.

It's still early yet. It's not like Tinsley and Sjax are going to be high on anyone's radar. Especially to make a big pre-announcement leak and splash.

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by Bball
    Sjax had too much leash the past couple of years. Not sure how he'd react if that would change if the faces of leadership do not change.
    He's also just not a very great basketball player.
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

Follow my twitter:

@8pts9secs

Jack needs to be here next season. He deserves to be here, and I almost feel that trading him would be sort of a slap in the face for his efforts here.

While I will be the first to say that I think Jackson takes some stupid shots, makes stupid decisions from time to time, and occasionally loses his mental focus...

I have a small bit of sympathy for him. I guarantee you that at times last season, he was asking himself, "Is this really so much better than Atlanta right now?" He got punished by greed and got stuck in Atlanta, and figured to be bailed out from losing and a franchise full of misdirection by being traded to a Pacers team that was a leading contender for an NBA championship. Then, the brawl... JO's injuries... Tinsley's injuries... and Jax is right back to where he was in Atlanta...trying to carry a team with no chemistry into the playoffs. I am certain that these past two years have not been what he envisioned he was getting himself into by coming here. He had San Antoino Part II in mind.

This franchise in the past 2 years has been everything but a San Antionio Part II for him.

I think he needs to be given at least one year of something resembling a normal season to show himself. If nothing else, I think we as a franchise owe that one year to him. If he loses his head and doesn't do the things he needs to do to help the team win by the trading deadline (or at least move in the right direction), then ship him off.
    Sometimes a player's greatest challenge is coming to grips with his role on the team. -- Scottie Pippen

Quote Originally Posted by JayRedd
    He's also just not a very great basketball player.
    Those astounding stats. The plethora of knowledge in your post. Wow, how long did it take you to write that argument.

He plays, and the team wins more when he plays than any other player actually feels the need to show up for a game. Team was 16-10 when he led the team in scoring. Held Lebron to his season low. And the only guy on this team that knows how to win a championship. You play a guy that should be a 2nd or 3rd option as the first option WTH do you expect to happen.

Jax and Bonzi won't be here next season.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Those astounding stats. The plethora of knowledge in your post. Wow, how long did it take you to write that argument.

He plays, and the team wins more when he plays than any other player actually feels the need to show up for a game. Team was 16-10 when he led the team in scoring. Held Lebron to his season low. And the only guy on this team that knows how to win a championship. You play a guy that should be a 2nd or 3rd option as the first option WTH do you expect to happen.
    QFT

Perfectly said.

We get Bonzi and he is gone.

There is not enough room on this team for Danny,Queez,Bonzi and Jack. Not enough PT and shots to go around.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

No, he is the only guy on this team that was a part of a championship team.

As Jay will explain I am sure when he finds this thread, Pop was able to play him because he had a great player behind him that he could put in on the nights when Jax wasnt on or when Jax decided he wanted to ***** with the refs more then get back on defense.

That is not the same thing knowing how to win a championship.

Jack > Bonzi

Quote Originally Posted by Ev_eezy
    Jack > Bonzi
    In ****ing Wonderland.

Pacers 4 Life.31 and only Pacers4Life's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Jermaniac
    In ****ing Wonderland.
    Bonzi had a fantastic playoffs. lets not all jump on his nuts too soon. where was all this hype 4 him during the regular season? hes good, but hes not in any way an improvement over Jak. I'll defend jak to the grave bcuz hes a pacer now, and i am a completely biased fan, but IMO,
    Jak > Bonzi, fer real
    Reggie Miller is a God. Period.

Passion. Pride. Pacers.

It's ALWAYS Miller Time.
    #31 & Only

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Pacers4Life
    Bonzi had a fantastic playoffs. lets not all jump on his nuts too soon. where was all this hype 4 him during the regular season? hes good, but hes not in any way an improvement over Jak. I'll defend jak to the grave bcuz hes a pacer now, and i am a completely biased fan, but IMO,
    Jak > Bonzi, fer real
    chemistry is big here, we want Jax gone, I want him as a Wizard.

Welcome
    STARBURY

08 and Beyond