Thread: Star} Granger eyes a starting spot

Default Star} Granger eyes a starting spot

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...TS04/607070456

July 7, 2006

Granger eyes a starting spot
    Summer league games offer chances to show he can replace Stojakovic at small forward
    By Mike Wells

Mike.wells@indystar.com

Shortly after he learned Peja Stojakovic wasn't returning to the Indiana Pacers, Danny Granger's phone started ringing.

His agent called. So did family and friends. They all said the same thing, something that had already crossed his mind. "I've got a chance to be the starting small forward next season," Granger said Thursday. "I have to go out and show I can be a consistent starter at that spot."

Stojakovic agreed to a five-year, $64 million deal with New Orleans last weekend.

Granger can take several steps toward being the team's starting small forward next season by having a strong offseason, which includes five games in the Orlando Summer League next week.

"As Danny continues to grow, we need him to become a better pick-and-roll player, become a better post-up player, work on his shots," assistant coach Chuck Person said. "We're going to give Danny every opportunity to do those things in the summer league."

Granger began last season behind Ron Artest at small forward. Granger was thrust into the starting lineup sooner than expected when Artest was placed on the inactive list after saying he wanted to be traded in December.

Granger returned to the bench when the team acquired Stojokavic in late January. Granger's versatility allowed coach Rick Carlisle to use him in different ways. Granger's natural position is small forward, but Carlisle also played him at power forward and at shooting guard at times during the playoffs against New Jersey.

Granger ended his first NBA season averaging 7.5 points and 4.9 rebounds.
    "When you come to the NBA it's so much different than college," he said. "It was just a different world. I'll be more consistent my second year."

With the Pacers attempting to become a more athletic, up-tempo team, Granger will spend time next week in Orlando playing shooting guard. "We feel like he can play in the backcourt and hopefully (first-round pick) Shawne (Williams) will grow and we'll be able to play those two guys together at the two and three (positions) or maybe three and four," Person said.
    Players miss Croshere

Granger and center David Harrison were together Wednesday when they heard Austin Croshere was being traded to the Dallas Mavericks. "I think it's a huge loss. That's more of a personal feeling," Harrison said. "Austin had been here for nine years. He contributed a lot to Indianapolis. I'm personally going to miss him. My first two years here, I don't think I would have made it without Cro. It's a business of basketball, though."

The trade of Croshere to Dallas for guard Marquis Daniels won't become official until the moratorium period ends Wednesday.

"Even though we shared minutes, he was a great teammate," Granger said.
    "On the road, he was one of the older guys that helped me with some of the rookie things I was going through."

Draft picks sign

The Pacers signed their two draft picks, Williams and James White, to contracts Thursday.

Williams has a two-year guaranteed contract with two one-year team options.
    Second-round picks don't automatically get guaranteed contracts, but the Pacers gave White, who was picked No. 31 by Portland then traded to the Pacers on draft night, a guaranteed two-year deal.

Pacers officials said they would have drafted White at No. 17 if Williams was no longer available.
    ------------------

Intresting that they are still going to play Granger at shooting guard in the Summer league.

Tim

Default Re: Star} Granger eyes a starting spot

Hopefully he does well in the summer to at least earn a more significant role, if not start. I hope its not SG though, I want to see him continue to block shots then be on the perimeter getting beat by smaller, quicker guards.

Again, if the Pacers feel the need to convert a SF to SG I hope it's Williams and not Granger. Granger's the better player and IMO you need to showcase your best players and build around them - not move them all over the place.

Though in a lot of ways the differences between playing SG and SF are pretty fuzzy.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

I think it only means they want Danny to be able to play SG or either forward spot. The NBA's really doing away with position's and is moving more toward putting your five best players on the floor.

If Harrison broke out this year and we picked Al up I could see a lineup of

PF.....JO
    SF.....Al
    C.......Harrison
    SG.....DG
    PG.....Marquis

On second thought that wouldn't be a good shooting team. Kepping Jax would be better. Then it would look like this.

PF.....Al
    SF.....Danny
    C.......JO
    SG.....Jax
    PG.....Marquis

Mood

Granger and center David Harrison were together Wednesday when they heard Austin Croshere was being traded to the Dallas Mavericks. "I think it's a huge loss. That's more of a personal feeling," Harrison said. "Austin had been here for nine years. He contributed a lot to Indianapolis. I'm personally going to miss him. My first two years here, I don't think I would have made it without Cro. It's a business of basketball, though."

"Even though we shared minutes, he was a great teammate," Granger said.
    "On the road, he was one of the older guys that helped me with some of the rookie things I was going through."
    I wanted to point this out.

I see James White got a 2-year deal. Shouldn't we have given him 3 so we had Bird rights?

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I see James White got a 2-year deal. Shouldn't we have given him 3 so we had Bird rights?
    Yes, we should have.

You'd think that after the Arenas fiasco, every team would give a third year (team option, at least) in order to get Bird rights.

I don't understand why we didn't do that.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem
    Yes, we should have.

You'd think that after the Arenas fiasco, every team would give a third year (team option, at least) in order to get Bird rights.

I don't understand why we didn't do that.
    Didn't they change the rule on that after the Arenas thing?

Or should I have cut myself off after the 9th beer at lunch?

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    I wanted to point this out.

OT....but I'm guessing that you are not only a fan of Fururama ( and Morbo )....but a fan of BSG as well?

Quote Originally Posted by btowncolt

Would money be a factor in this?

If so...I wouldn't be surprised if it was.....remember...we have a cheap ownership that is saving every little bit of $$$.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC
    If so...I wouldn't be surprised if it was.....remember...we have a cheap ownership that is saving every little bit of $$$.
    That's complete and total nonsense.

I don't mean that as any sort of personal attack or anything. That sort of sentiment just irks me far more than anything else on here. It's so completely far from the truth I don't even know where to begin.

Sports Logo

That's complete and total nonsense.

I don't mean that as any sort of personal attack or anything. That sort of sentiment just irks me far more than anything else on here. It's so completely far from the truth I don't even know where to begin.
    So....we haven't been trying to cut salary over the last 2 seasons?

How likely are we gonna sign any Free Agent this offseason?

I just do not have any faith in Management spending the necessary $$$ to take us to the next level....they will just spend enough $$$ to keep us a competitive 1st/2nd round playoff team.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

You cant spend $$$ when you are over the cap every year.

I just do not have any faith in Management spending the necessary $$$ to take us to the next level....they will just spend enough $$$ to keep us a competitive 1st/2nd round playoff team.
    During this past season I believe we had the third highest payroll in the league... behind only New York and Dallas? I could be slightly off but I know we've been up there for a few years now.

In any case our payroll has been higher than the payroll of that year's NBA champs the past several years.

This in a market that is in the bottom 1/3 size-wise I believe.

So, what was your point again?...

Quote Originally Posted by rabidpacersfan
    During this past season I believe we had the third highest payroll in the league... behind only New York and Dallas? I could be slightly off but I know we've been up there for a few years now.

In any case our payroll has been higher than the payroll of that year's NBA champs the past several years.

Not counting the fact that the Pacers are currently paying two executives a salary that most teams won't pay one. Their coaches are some of the highest paid in the league. Their support and scouting staff is one of the largest. Hell, they send Bird to Europe every other day to look at players too. And ticket prices are far lower than what they could be given the huge payroll expenditures they've been making for years.

Can you argue that they don't spend their money impactively (thanks Jay!)? Sure. Can you even try to argue that they don't spend it in boatloads? No.

If the Simons had ever wanted salary cutting or a firesale, you would have seen one.

I can't wait until the next generation of Simons comes into power. Some of you will be so desperate for the days of having arguably the best ownership team in the league. That day is fast approaching, and will be a devestating one for the franchise and fanbase as we know it.

Sports Logo

Help me understand this.....can teams exceed the salary cap but will have to pay luxury tax for every penny they spend over that cap?

Big contracts like Croshere and Bender ( in the past ) has tied our hands in terms of pushing the amount of $$$ the Pacers shell out over the past couple of seasons. But now that we are likely close to the salary cap with the departure of Peja....without having to pay out too much luxury tax.....are we still going to be sign anyone since we already hit the cap?

or

Are we destined to explore S&T for the next couple of years?

I am more then willing to say that I am wrong in this.....I just wonder how teams like the Knicks or the Mavs can continually exceed the salary cap.

Help me understand this.....can teams exceed the salary cap but will have to pay luxury tax for every penny they spend over that cap?
    Teams can exceed the salary cap only through one of several "exceptions," such as the MLE, LLE, trades (within limits), trade exceptions, that sort of thing.

The luxury tax and salary cap are two different numbers. Both are adjusted year-by-year according to certain variables (others here know more about this than I do).

You can go over the cap and not pay any luxury tax. But of you go over the luxury tax limit, you pay a full dollar for every dollar you are over back to the league, and the remainder gets divided among the teams. Or something like that.

Basically, going over the luxury tax is bad. Your team ends up throwing millions away (for a team like NY, it's ridiculous - their payroll is something like 133 million, but after LT it actually costs them something like 200 million.)

Teams can exceed the salary cap only through one of several "exceptions," such as the MLE, LLE, trades (within limits), trade exceptions, that sort of thing.

The luxury tax and salary cap are two different numbers. Both are adjusted year-by-year according to certain variables (others here know more about this than I do).

You can go over the cap and not pay any luxury tax. But of you go over the luxury tax limit, you pay a full dollar for every dollar you are over back to the league, and the remainder gets divided among the teams. Or something like that.

Basically, going over the luxury tax is bad. Your team ends up throwing millions away (for a team like NY, it's ridiculous - their payroll is something like 133 million, but after LT it actually costs them something like 200 million.)
    That's basically it. I'll add that the Lux Tax is based on league revenues, and since it's been in place the number where the tax starts has been roughly $10M over the salary cap.
    "I'll always be a part of Donnie Walsh."
    -Ron Artest, Denver Post, 12.28.05

Agreed. It could be much, much worse. Well, I say that like it's bad right now. It's not. The Simons are awesome.

That said.... anyone know what Early Bird Rights are? I can't remember. And no, it doesn't have to do with waking up early.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood
    That said.... anyone know what Early Bird Rights are? I can't remember. And no, it doesn't have to do with waking up early.
    Early Bird exception

This is the lesser form of the Larry Bird Exception. Free agents who qualify for this exception are called "early qualifying veteran free agents," and qualify after playing two seasons without being waived or changing teams as a free agent. Using this exception, a team can re-sign its own free agent for either 175% of his salary the previous season, or the NBA's average salary, whichever is greater. Early Bird contracts must be for at least two seasons, but can last no longer than five seasons.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

Mood

OT....but I'm guessing that you are not only a fan of Fururama ( and Morbo )....but a fan of BSG as well?
    Yep

2005-2006 (start of season)

New York Knicks $ 92,904,104
    San Antonio Spurs $ 79,634,858
    Dallas Mavericks $ 68,271,402
    Indiana Pacers $ 66,566,770
    Memphis Grizzlies $ 64,619,770
    New Jersey Nets $ 61,597,900
    Sacramento Kings $ 60,527,850
    Philadelphia 76ers $ 59,746,631
    Phoenix Suns $ 59,695,420
    Miami Heat $ 59,651,468
    Detroit Pistons $ 57,910,879
    Utah Jazz $ 57,756,286
    Golden State Warriors $ 57,457,524
    Milwaukee Bucks $ 56,490,247
    Minnesota Timberwolves $ 54,258,656
    Los Angeles Lakers $ 54,215,834
    Denver Nuggets $ 53,844,460
    Orlando Magic $ 52,923,892
    Boston Celtics $ 52,595,022
    Cleveland Cavaliers $ 51,818,572
    Los Angeles Clippers $ 51,282,790
    Portland Trail Blazers $ 51,092,188
    Washington Wizards $ 50,243,981
    Seattle SuperSonics $ 46,878,397
    Houston Rockets $ 46,762,013
    New Orleans Hornets $ 43,616,745
    Chicago Bulls $ 37,657,772
    Atlanta Hawks $ 36,632,449
    Toronto Raptors $ 34,559,996
    Charlotte Bobcats $ 30,313,645

2004-2005 (start of season)

New York Knicks $ 94,067,539
    Dallas Mavericks $ 87,400,088
    Portland Trail Blazers $ 80,200,284
    Minnesota Timberwolves $ 70,123,371
    Orlando Magic $ 68,110,249
    Indiana Pacers $ 66,325,659
    Los Angeles Lakers $ 65,138,976
    Philadelphia 76ers $ 63,757,835
    Sacramento Kings $ 60,633,211
    Miami Heat $ 59,495,338
    Memphis Grizzlies $ 59,075,657
    Toronto Raptors $ 58,460,390
    Houston Rockets $ 57,787,423
    New Orleans Hornets $ 56,482,817
    Seattle SuperSonics $ 54,184,357
    Boston Celtics $ 53,443,677
    Golden State Warriors $ 50,863,793
    Detroit Pistons $ 49,329,935
    Washington Wizards $ 48,797,362
    Cleveland Cavaliers $ 48,174,834
    San Antonio Spurs $ 47,404,123
    Milwaukee Bucks $ 46,379,974
    Los Angeles Clippers $ 45,803,819
    Denver Nuggets $ 45,716,482
    Utah Jazz $ 43,515,760
    Chicago Bulls $ 41,942,236
    New Jersey Nets $ 41,176,253
    Atlanta Hawks $ 40,658,440
    Phoenix Suns $ 35,259,424
    Charlotte Bobcats $ 23,097,398

2003-2004 (start of season)

New York Knicks $ 84,523,891
    Portland Trail Blazers $ 84,304,778
    Dallas Mavericks $ 79,099,293
    Minnesota Timberwolves $ 72,385,947
    Sacramento Kings $ 69,567,889
    Los Angeles Lakers $ 65,510,147
    Phoenix Suns $ 65,176,684
    Atlanta Hawks $ 63,536,207
    Toronto Raptors $ 60,307,176
    Boston Celtics $ 59,112,919
    Memphis Grizzlies $ 58,233,851
    Philadelphia 76ers $ 57,763,301
    Indiana Pacers $ 57,548,489
    Detroit Pistons $ 52,942,639
    Houston Rockets $ 52,354,437
    Chicago Bulls $ 52,150,699
    Golden State Warriors $ 51,804,638
    Seattle SuperSonics $ 50,624,368
    New Jersey Nets $ 48,579,883
    New Orleans Hornets $ 48,125,452
    Orlando Magic $ 47,696,731
    San Antonio Spurs $ 46,879,322
    Cleveland Cavaliers $ 46,513,187
    Washington Wizards $ 45,681,942
    Miami Heat $ 45,529,862
    Milwaukee Bucks $ 42,452,361
    Los Angeles Clippers $ 37,547,054
    Denver Nuggets $ 36,004,731
    Utah Jazz $ 28,320,329

2002-2003 (start of season)

Portland Trail Blazers $ 104,321,823
    New York Knicks $ 93,014,165
    Dallas Mavericks $ 70,780,199
    Sacramento Kings $ 70,416,596
    Philadelphia 76ers $ 65,339,572
    Los Angeles Lakers $ 62,577,317
    Memphis Grizzlies $ 60,546,012
    New Jersey Nets $ 60,412,919
    Milwaukee Bucks $ 59,979,330
    Minnesota Timberwolves $ 59,549,520
    Miami Heat $ 57,640,868
    Atlanta Hawks $ 56,426,301
    Toronto Raptors $ 55,373,596
    Phoenix Suns $ 55,225,080
    Boston Celtics $ 53,767,553
    Indiana Pacers $ 53,472,323
    San Antonio Spurs $ 52,817,688
    Orlando Magic $ 51,898,506
    Seattle SuperSonics $ 51,784,940
    Utah Jazz $ 50,516,753
    Houston Rockets $ 50,181,240
    Detroit Pistons $ 47,777,892
    Cleveland Cavaliers $ 47,580,440
    Golden State Warriors $ 47,380,387
    Washington Wizards $ 46,565,206
    New Orleans Hornets $ 45,193,882
    Chicago Bulls $ 44,468,592
    Los Angeles Clippers $ 42,767,067
    Denver Nuggets $ 40,985,480

2001-2002 (start of season)

New York Knicks $ 85,253,575
    Portland Trail Blazers $ 83,996,421
    Philadelphia 76ers $ 57,791,546
    Dallas Mavericks $ 56,506,659
    Milwaukee Bucks $ 55,568,802
    Sacramento Kings $ 54,763,038
    Phoenix Suns $ 54,696,916
    Minnesota Timberwolves $ 54,509,632
    Utah Jazz $ 54,334,915
    Denver Nuggets $ 53,687,498
    New Jersey Nets $ 53,597,326
    Indiana Pacers $ 53,211,121
    Los Angeles Lakers $ 52,985,249
    Miami Heat $ 52,916,216
    Toronto Raptors $ 52,657,135
    Washington Wizards $ 51,065,719
    Memphis Grizzlies $ 50,289,143
    Charlotte Hornets $ 49,733,595
    Atlanta Hawks $ 49,328,373
    Houston Rockets $ 49,238,169
    Orlando Magic $ 48,322,001
    Boston Celtics $ 47,469,112
    Golden State Warriors $ 47,173,177
    San Antonio Spurs $ 46,487,983
    Cleveland Cavaliers $ 45,924,974
    Seattle SuperSonics $ 44,965,883
    Chicago Bulls $ 42,544,557
    Detroit Pistons $ 41,711,427
    Los Angeles Clippers $ 33,734,932
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

Follow my twitter:

@8pts9secs

Yep, you're right.

http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#37

We should be ok after all. I take it back, Donnie.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!