Thread: {Bruno's QOD} What Are Best Options For Roster Moves?

Hybrid View

Default {Bruno's QOD} What Are Best Options For Roster Moves?

What Are Best Options For Roster Moves?

Wednesday, July 5, 2006
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------

QUESTION
    OF THE DAY
    Conrad Brunner

Q. With the recent news that Peja Stojakovic has agreed to an offer with the Hornets, I'm concerned the Pacers have major issues that need addressing. While Danny Granger had a productive rookie season and should be a decent starter, there is a lack of depth at the small forward position. Shawne Williams should be solid but as Larry Bird hinted he will be more of a power forward. As for the point guard situation, Anthony Johnson doesn't look like the clear-cut starter. In my opinion, the Pacers have three options: they could leave things as they are, they could look for someone in the free agent market (which is relatively weak this year), or they could trade. Which of these options (if any) will the Pacers choose? (From Oakley in Freeland, Wash.)

A. First, let's ask everyone in Pacerland to take a deep breath, let it out slowly and repeat after me: "It's only July 5, the regular season is four months away, they haven't started passing out rings and banners quite yet." There's absolutely no rationale to panic about the roster as it stands today, or to pass final judgment on the team's offseason moves when said offseason has scarcely begun.

Assuming the signing of draft picks Williams and James White, the Pacers have five players capable of sharing the load at shooting guard and small forward. Stephen Jackson, Fred Jones, White, Williams and Granger.

As you can see, there's not exactly a talent shortage. There are those who believe Granger should emerge as the starting small forward next season, regardless of developments on the free-agent market, because of his all-around game. In his final five regular-season starts, remember, he averaged 18.2 points and 10.0 rebounds.

This is not to say the roster is complete or the rotations as you see them now will resemble those in November and beyond. The point is, as painful as the weekend news was to absorb, it is a blow relatively well-cushioned by the fabric of the roster. The Pacers have some flexibility in free agency with three exceptions (mid-level, million-dollar and trade), but the trade market is the most likely place for a major move or two, and it won't heat up for a least a week or two.

Pacers.Com

It appears from all of the Pacers Media type anyway, they are determined to have Granger play some 2 this year.

Why Not Us ?

Default Re: {Bruno's QOD} What Are Best Options For Roster Moves?

Quote Originally Posted by Bruno
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Assuming the signing of draft picks Williams and James White, the Pacers have five players capable of sharing the load at shooting guard and small forward. Stephen Jackson, Fred Jones, White, Williams and Granger.
    This also assumes Freddie is on our team, and I don't think that's a safe assumption. Therefore, only one of those players in our "deep" SG rotation has any real NBA experience playing there.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruno
    The Pacers have some flexibility in free agency with three exceptions (mid-level, million-dollar and trade)
    Anyone know how much out trade exception is for or when it expires? I assume this is from the James Jones deal.
    "I'll always be a part of Donnie Walsh."
    -Ron Artest, Denver Post, 12.28.05

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by blanket
    Anyone know how much out trade exception is for or when it expires? I assume this is from the James Jones deal.
    I would also like to know this.

Who could be had for the LLE?

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Slade
    First, let's ask everyone in Pacerland to take a deep breath, let it out slowly and repeat after me: "It's only July 5, the regular season is four months away, they haven't started passing out rings and banners quite yet." There's absolutely no rationale to panic about the roster as it stands today, or to pass final judgment on the team's offseason moves when said offseason has scarcely begun.
    "George's athleticism is bananas!" - Marc J. Spears

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Slade
    [B]A. First, let's ask everyone in Pacerland to take a deep breath, let it out slowly and repeat after me: "It's only July 5, the regular season is four months away, they haven't started passing out rings and banners quite yet." There's absolutely no rationale to panic about the roster as it stands today, or to pass final judgment on the team's offseason moves when said offseason has scarcely begun.

As you can see, there's not exactly a talent shortage.
    Like Kegboy wrote somewhere else, I think yesterday, this year the operatings in the FA market seem to be different to previous years in that in this years (weak) FA class most of the "best" are already gone after just a few days. In previous years several good players would be off the market fast too, but there would be a few left after a few days and a lot of the average players too. This year even some of the average players seem to be going relatively fast.

And Fred isn't re-signed yet and actually I don't think we should unless its for a relatively small amount. So, if he doesn't re-sign that leaves us with 4 players two of which are rookies, which leaves 2, one of which plays best at SF. So, only one reliable pure SG, who most don't like or think lacks quality, yup we are truly well covered with the number of players who can maybe play there, but let's not discuss the quality or experience of the position.

So, in other words, I don't aggree with Bruno on this.
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Yeah, I got the drift that Bruno was Pooh-poo'ing the FA situation...
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

OK, despite the fact that it's the first week, I still am a bit worried. Many of our rivals set a goal then as soon as they could, they went for it. If that didn't work out, they went for their contingency plans.

Look at the Pistons for example. They offered a fair contract to Ben Wallace. When that didn't work out, they went after Przybilla. When that didn't work out, they got Nazr Mohammed.

I'm not very worried, I just think that we should maybe be a little more active especially since we all have our concerns that the Artest trade yielded nothing, roster-wise.

Hall of Famers FrenchConnection's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by rexnom
    OK, despite the fact that it's the first week, I still am a bit worried. Many of our rivals set a goal then as soon as they could, they went for it. If that didn't work out, they went for their contingency plans.

Look at the Pistons for example. They offered a fair contract to Ben Wallace. When that didn't work out, they went after Przybilla. When that didn't work out, they got Nazr Mohammed.

I'm not very worried, I just think that we should maybe be a little more active especially since we all have our concerns that the Artest trade yielded nothing, roster-wise.
    We are trying to work sign and trades and stright trades. These usually come after the start of the FA signing period.