Thread: Interesting comments on Minnesota's messed up draft

Banned

Default Interesting comments on Minnesota's messed up draft

http://www.truehoop.com/

A Gift from Minnesota: How Brandon Roy Got to Portland

The way Jonathan Givony tells it, the Blazers really pulled a fast one on Kevin McHale on draft night.

The highlight of the night for me personally was seeing Portland single handedly destroy a trade the Timberwolves and Rockets had in place (#6 Brandon Roy, for Luther Head and #8 Randy Foye) by forcing Minnesota’s hand and taking Foye a pick early at #7. That ensured that the Timberwolves had to trade arguably the 2nd best player in the draft to the Blazers for Foye and cash considerations, a move that was entirely lost on ESPN at the time but should go down as one of the most ballsy ever.

He goes on to give Minnesota an F for their draft performance:

Being outmuscled by the Portland Trailblazers should be embarrassing enough, but you have to wonder why in the world they gave up Brandon Roy for so little? The Timberwolves should have been taking Roy at #6 to begin with, and the drop down to Randy Foye at #7 most definitely should have cost a lot more than just a million dollars. That’s not a knock on Foye, but more an indication of just how lucky Minnesota should have felt to get Roy at #6 with how perfect he fills their needs.

If that wasn’t enough, the Timberwolves took a 6-7 unathletic power forward early in the 2nd round and then traded away a better player in Bobby Jones for a future 2nd round pick. To make up for all their mistakes up until this point, they drafted a Greek robot in the late 2nd round whose game won’t translate to the NBA in a million years.

Considering the hand they were dealt, how poorly they satisfied their needs, the lack of value they got at their picks and the very obvious lack of direction that Kevin McHale and the Minnesota Timberwolves have shown over the past few years, it’s no wonder Kevin Garnett cannot wait to get out of town.

Of course, if either Brandon Roy or Randy Foye turns out vastly better than the other, players, GMs, and owners will be looking foolish because of this trade.

Default Re: Interesting comments on Minnesota's messed up draft

Yeah, I read that the other day and was gonna post it. Thanks, Roy.

Okay, who was it I was fighting with about how inept Minnesota management is? I'm all for loyalty, but come on, Kevin. Demand a trade. You are soOOo spinning your wheels.
    Hey! What're you kicking me for? You want me to ask? All right, I'll ask! Ma'am, where do the high school girls hang out in this town?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Skaut_Ech
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yeah, I read that the other day and was gonna post it. Thanks, Roy.

Okay, who was it I was fighting with about how inept Minnesota management is? I'm all for loyalty, but come on, Kevin. Demand a trade. You are soOOo spinning your wheels.
    Yes, yes demand a trade to the Pacers Kevin doooo it.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

That's funny. McHale doesn't know what he's doing without Flip.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Just think how much more messed-up it would've been if Roy wasn't there and the Wolves took their alleged "#2 choice" (according to Bird), Shawne Williams, about fifteen spots too high.

Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Leisure Suit Larry

Quote Originally Posted by Jay@Section204
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Just think how much more messed-up it would've been if Roy wasn't there and the Wolves took their alleged "#2 choice" (according to Bird), Shawne Williams, about fifteen spots too high.

God I hope a Williams + JO for Garnett trade isn't coming.

Sports Logo

You would think that with the level of ineptitude of GMs/"Guys running the show" out there with the likes of Zeke and McHale.....Bird would either be able to somehow take advantage of that....or worse...join them in their club of "Not so great guys running the show".
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.