Thread: Hunt for Al down to possibly 2 teams

Default Hunt for Al down to possibly 2 teams

http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archiv...or_harrington/

Hawks finally get the point
    Sekou Smith - Staff

Tuesday, July 4, 2006

Al Harrington's tenure with the Atlanta Hawks is apparently over, and Speedy Claxton's is set to begin.

While Harrington and the Hawks are in the midst of parting ways --- a sign-and-trade deal could be consummated any day --- Claxton joins the fold to end the Hawks' nearly two-season search for a point guard.
    Claxton verbally agreed on Monday afternoon to sign with the Hawks, said his agent, Bill Duffy. The contract, a reported four-year deal worth an estimated $25 million, can't be signed until July 12, the first day offseason transactions can be made official.

Hawks general manager Billy Knight could not be reached to comment on Harrington, and per league rules cannot comment on Claxton until July 12.
    "I think it's a good fit," Duffy said. "Speedy likes the fact you have a bunch of young legs and they need leadership. This is a team that's definitely on the rise."

The Hawks offered Clippers free-agent point guard Sam Cassell a two-year deal worth a reported $7.5 million per season, an offer the Clippers matched to keep him.

Atlanta turned its attention to Claxton and locked up the 28-year-old, five-year veteran with a deal that will pay him about $6.2 million per season.

Claxton's addition solves a glaring deficiency for the Hawks, who used inexperienced players (Royal Ivey) or others, namely leading scorer Joe Johnson, out of position to get by at point guard.

Claxton averaged 12.3 points, 4.8 assists and 2.7 rebounds this past season in New Orleans playing behind and often alongside NBA Rookie of the Year Chris Paul. Claxton will be the starter for the Hawks, allowing Johnson to slide over to shooting guard on a full-time basis.

With Claxton and veteran backup Tyronn Lue, the Hawks have floor leaders with championship experience. Claxton played on San Antonio's 2003 NBA championship team, and Lue won two titles with the Lakers at the start of the decade. Ivey will enter training camp as the third point guard on the roster.

It is a roster that will be without Harrington for the first time in two years. The Hawks' second-leading scorer and rebounder this past season, Harrington served as a team captain in each of his two seasons with the franchise.

But Harrington said the Hawks have made it clear to him that they are going in a different direction, particularly with younger players already on the roster. Josh Smith's emergence after the February All-Star break might have had more than anything to do with the Hawks' decision to move on without Harrington.

"As of right now it's pretty clear to me that I won't be back in a Hawks uniform next year," Harrington said by phone Monday afternoon from his offseason home in Los Angeles. "It's pretty much a wrap for me there."

The Hawks have been in discussions with several teams, most prominently Indiana and Golden State, about a potential sign-and-trade deal involving Harrington, an eight-year veteran who is only 26 and one of the top 30 scorers (18.6 points per game) in the league.

"I have a genuine interest in both of those teams," he said. "My only focus is getting back to the playoffs and eventually competing for a championship. I thought we were getting better and heading in that direction [in Atlanta], but sometimes it's time to move on."
    The Hawks could continue upgrading their roster with more big men and possibly another young point guard by consummating a deal with either the Pacers or the Warriors.
    I was ready for Josh Smith to go to Indiana, but he went to the NBA. I am ready for him to come to Indiana once again.

Default Re: Hunt for Al down to possibly 2 teams

We are getting Al.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

If you want a chance at the championship Al, you shouldn't have left in the first place.

Hall of Famers FrenchConnection's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by tinsley#11
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archiv...or_harrington/

Hawks finally get the point
    Sekou Smith - Staff

Tuesday, July 4, 2006

Al Harrington's tenure with the Atlanta Hawks is apparently over, and Speedy Claxton's is set to begin.

While Harrington and the Hawks are in the midst of parting ways --- a sign-and-trade deal could be consummated any day --- Claxton joins the fold to end the Hawks' nearly two-season search for a point guard.
    Claxton verbally agreed on Monday afternoon to sign with the Hawks, said his agent, Bill Duffy. The contract, a reported four-year deal worth an estimated $25 million, can't be signed until July 12, the first day offseason transactions can be made official.

Hawks general manager Billy Knight could not be reached to comment on Harrington, and per league rules cannot comment on Claxton until July 12.
    "I think it's a good fit," Duffy said. "Speedy likes the fact you have a bunch of young legs and they need leadership. This is a team that's definitely on the rise."

The Hawks offered Clippers free-agent point guard Sam Cassell a two-year deal worth a reported $7.5 million per season, an offer the Clippers matched to keep him.

Atlanta turned its attention to Claxton and locked up the 28-year-old, five-year veteran with a deal that will pay him about $6.2 million per season.

Claxton's addition solves a glaring deficiency for the Hawks, who used inexperienced players (Royal Ivey) or others, namely leading scorer Joe Johnson, out of position to get by at point guard.

Claxton averaged 12.3 points, 4.8 assists and 2.7 rebounds this past season in New Orleans playing behind and often alongside NBA Rookie of the Year Chris Paul. Claxton will be the starter for the Hawks, allowing Johnson to slide over to shooting guard on a full-time basis.

With Claxton and veteran backup Tyronn Lue, the Hawks have floor leaders with championship experience. Claxton played on San Antonio's 2003 NBA championship team, and Lue won two titles with the Lakers at the start of the decade. Ivey will enter training camp as the third point guard on the roster.

It is a roster that will be without Harrington for the first time in two years. The Hawks' second-leading scorer and rebounder this past season, Harrington served as a team captain in each of his two seasons with the franchise.

But Harrington said the Hawks have made it clear to him that they are going in a different direction, particularly with younger players already on the roster. Josh Smith's emergence after the February All-Star break might have had more than anything to do with the Hawks' decision to move on without Harrington.

"As of right now it's pretty clear to me that I won't be back in a Hawks uniform next year," Harrington said by phone Monday afternoon from his offseason home in Los Angeles. "It's pretty much a wrap for me there."

The Hawks have been in discussions with several teams, most prominently Indiana and Golden State, about a potential sign-and-trade deal involving Harrington, an eight-year veteran who is only 26 and one of the top 30 scorers (18.6 points per game) in the league.

"I have a genuine interest in both of those teams," he said. "My only focus is getting back to the playoffs and eventually competing for a championship. I thought we were getting better and heading in that direction [in Atlanta], but sometimes it's time to move on."
    The Hawks could continue upgrading their roster with more big men and possibly another young point guard by consummating a deal with either the Pacers or the Warriors.
    If Al is willing to go to GS, you gotta think that they can offer a lot more than us.

Can we have Childress?
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Quote Originally Posted by FrenchConnection
    If Al is willing to go to GS, you gotta think that they can offer a lot more than us.
    Golden State has a lot of good young players, plus they probably have more optimism than the Pacers do right now.

If Al comes here who do the Pacers give in trade, and how much does
    he want. Croshere and Tinsley for Al?? That is about 13 million.
    That is waaaaay too much. So another player from Atlanta.
    Is Benders contract tradeable? Trade Croshere straight up?

owl
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

That's the same thing he said yesterday.

I think only the Raptors, Bobcats, and maybe Hawks are now under the salary cap, at least more than 4 or 5 million under.

I could see him going to GS for Troy Murphy, or to us for Cro.

That's a major concern.
    But remember, in a sign-and-trade the player concerned has to agree to the deal, no matter how badly managment wants it to happen.

Let's see if JO's personal connection can land us Al. If he convinces the guy to want it enough, Atlanta has no choice.

And I think Saras would head to Atlanta...remember when everyone was worried Bird would turn us into a team of Euro jump-shooters?

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    That's the same thing he said yesterday.

I think only the Raptors, Bobcats, and maybe Hawks are now under the salary cap, at least more than 4 or 5 million under.
    We are pretty sure the Bobcats and Hawks are out of the hunt for Al. Raptors you could wonder about, maybe.

Chicago still has sign and trade possibilities, but not much cap room. And, I don't see where Harrington would fit there well anyway.

Maybe it is down to GS and Indiana.

Quote Originally Posted by sixthman
    We are pretty sure the Bobcats and Hawks are out of the hunt for Al. Raptors you could wonder about, maybe.

Chicago still has sign and trade possibilities, but not much cap room. And, I don't see where Harrington would fit there well anyway.

Maybe it is down to GS and Indiana.
    And keep in mind Al has to agree to any sign and trade.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Hawks don't have interest in Murphy or his contract. They have their eyes set on Foster.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen
    I could see him going to GS for Troy Murphy, or to us for Cro.
    Does anyone know if salaries have to match when doing a S&T with a team under the cap?

If so, then I think the Pacers have the advantage over the Warriors. The W's have some nice young talent, but they'd have to either package a bunch of them to equal Al's new contact in a S&T, or package one of their bad contracts (Murphy, Foyle, Fisher, Dunleavy) with a young player in a S&T. I don't think they'd give up a lot of their young players in that first scenario, and I don't think Atlanta would take one of their bad contracts (all with 4-5 years left) in that second scenario.

Also, GS doesn't have any expiring contracts to offer like we do (Croshere). We could also offer combinations of any of our 3 PGs with Foster, if necessary.

Ultimately, it depends of what Atlanta is looking to get back in a S&T for Al, but either way I think we've got more flexibility to get something done than the Warriors.
    "I'll always be a part of Donnie Walsh."
    -Ron Artest, Denver Post, 12.28.05

Here is another article today out of Chicago..

July 4, 2006

BY BRIAN HANLEY Staff Reporter

The Bulls made it known to Wallace and his agent, Arn Tellem, that they needed a decision quickly.

Atlanta's Al Harrington was the Bulls' backup choice and was being pursued by other teams.

The Bulls reportedly had talked with the Hawks about a sign-and-trade deal for Harrington, who is being courted by the Indiana Pacers.

After Harrington, the Bulls had targeted restricted free agent Chris Wilcox of the Seattle SuperSonics. Portland Trail Blazers center Joel Przybilla was never on the team's top-three list.
    SunTimes

Why Not Us ?

I can't see paying Al more than $10 mil/year max. Something in the $9 mil range is more far methinks.

The deal would likely be Jeff and AJ for Al.

Hall of Famers FrenchConnection's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by indy0731
    Hawks don't have interest in Murphy or his contract. They have their eyes set on Foster.
    They would actually get a lot better with Foster and Sheldon Williams in the middle. They have had no interior D for years now and this would address that weakness. If they are looking for a player from GS, I would think that it would be Diogu.

They would actually get a lot better with Foster and Sheldon Williams in the middle. They have had no interior D for years now and this would address that weakness. If they are looking for a player from GS, I would think that it would be Diogu.
    I'm not sure GS would be willing to give up Diogu. In reality, would it even be an upgrade to trade Diogu for Harrington?

id say count on harrington being here next year
    *removed* Just keep politics and religion completely out of it, please.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Shade
    I can't see paying Al more than $10 mil/year max. Something in the $9 mil range is more far methinks.

The deal would likely be Jeff and AJ for Al
    That's a good deal, and it's hard to pass up.

I still don't know how Al fits in here, not with Granger and JO.

[/conspiracy]
    We swing a deal for Al because he wants to join his buddy JO. But, because Al plays the same position(s) as our two building blocks in most people's eyes - JO and Danny...JO becomes a moveable piece. It's a dirty move by the front office, but they're not adverse to that (JO re-signing w/ IT as coach). JO can then be moved for a stellar shooter, for example. We'd have a good frontcourt with Al, Danny, Hulk. Our backcourt would be half resolved, considering there are two positions to be filled, but we'd be in much better shape than having bothe problems. It would be essentially rebuilding without losing our chance to be a competitive team. The question becomes, who would we move JO for? Because, if this theory has any plausibility, I'd do it.
    [/conspiracy]
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

@The_Real_CJake

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pizza guy
    That's a good deal, and it's hard to pass up.

I still don't know how Al fits in here, not with Granger and JO.

[/conspiracy]
    We swing a deal for Al because he wants to join his buddy JO. But, because Al plays the same position(s) as our two building blocks in most people's eyes - JO and Danny...JO becomes a moveable piece. It's a dirty move by the front office, but they're not adverse to that (JO re-signing w/ IT as coach). JO can then be moved for a stellar shooter, for example. We'd have a good frontcourt with Al, Danny, Hulk. Our backcourt would be half resolved, considering there are two positions to be filled, but we'd be in much better shape than having bothe problems. It would be essentially rebuilding without losing our chance to be a competitive team. The question becomes, who would we move JO for? Because, if this theory has any plausibility, I'd do it.
    [/conspiracy]
    Jason Richardson and half the Warriors
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Mourning
    Jason Richardson and half the Warriors
    Well, I was thinking about Ray Allen, but, I didn't think about it too hard - that's why I just said, "stellar shooter." I don't know if Seattle would entertain the idea or not, but hey, JO/SJax is a decent inside-outside for RayRay and half of Seattle...who knows? Like I said, it's just a left-wing theory that I pulled out of my rear.
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

@The_Real_CJake