Thread: Working my way through the depth charts looking at potential PGs...

Default Working my way through the depth charts looking at potential PGs...

And let me tell you, the pickings is slim. The only two guys that I thought were aquirable and worth considering are Andre Miller and Luther Head. And that doesn't make me feel all warm and squishy.

People that are begging for an upgrade at the point... who do you have in mind?
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Default Re: Working my way through the depth charts looking at potential PGs...

Speedy Claxton might be a good fit and he might be available.

Don't see us having a prayer in getting Andre Miller, although I'd enjoy watching him play for us.

Not sure about Luther Head being helpful for us at point.

I also like Steve Francis, as politically incorrect as that may be around here. If nothing else, I am damn sick and tired of Jamaal being sick and tired. I'd prefer to live with the Stevie gamble for the next two years than to live through the god awful mess we endured at point guard last season. At least we know Francis can guard someone. I have this feeling that Francis would prove the critics wrong and play some solid basketball in Indiana. Players with ability who have something to prove generally do well. And, like Stephen Jackson, whatever one wants to say about the guy, Francis likes to play the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    And let me tell you, the pickings is slim. The only two guys that I thought were aquirable and worth considering are Andre Miller and Luther Head. And that doesn't make me feel all warm and squishy.

I've been doing that with all guards. I just don't see anything aquirable that is better than what we have.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem

I've been doing that with all guards. I just don't see anything aquirable that is better than what we have.

What about Brevin Knight. Would he be an upgrade? He is a pass first guy, and picks up a couple of steals a game.
    {the past 2 years I've had him on my fantasy team and was very happy with him}

Mavschick

What about taking a flyer on Jay Williams? I'm sure he'd be willing to sign cheap and to only a 1-year contract as he knows no team would give him more than that because he's coming back from a serious injury. At the very least he could be a depth guy.

After working my way through the rosters, I want Jack.

Jarrett Jack - I liked what I saw from him as a rookie with the Blazers. Pacers should really look into him. Here are a couple of links about Jack
    http://www.hoopshype.com/draft/jarrett_jack.htm

http://www.draftexpress.com/viewprofile.php?p=9

I'm going to go survery the Blazers forums to see if he's available, or if he's in drug rehab

Jay Williams
    Marcus Banks
    Brevin Knight
    Antonio Daniels
    Monta Ellis
    Troy Hudson - whatever happened to him
    Speedy Claxton

sweabs

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    Jarrett Jack
    Unfortunately, that looks to be impossible considering the Sebastian Telfair trade. Portland was happy with Jack's performance and that obviously played into things with the Boston trade.

Yes I posted the question on a Blazers forum and the first response I got was no way, and as soon as the west coast Blazers fans wake up I'll probably be laughed off of their forum. So it sounds like we ain't gonna get Jack

What about Juan Dixon?

Dangit, I thought I was on to something with Jarrett Jack

Banned

Jarrett Jack - I liked what I saw from him as a rookie with the Blazers. Pacers should really look into him. Here are a couple of links about Jack

I'm going to go survery the Blazers forums to see if he's available, or if he's in drug rehab
    I agree that the Jack is going to have a good NBA career and is a good young PG prospect, but the problem is, the Blazers think so too, because they just traded Sebastian Telfair and moved Jack to the top of the depth chart. They have Steve Blake also (who played very well last season) and I expect them to use the two of them fairly equally this season.

They probably won't get rid of either one without trading for a replacement, and considering that they are paying both of them next-to-nothing, that's probably not going to happen.

As far as drug rehab, that's never going to be a problem for Jack. He's as good a person and as good a citizen as anyone could possible hope for.

Portland also aquired Sergio Rodriquez from Spain (draft pick No. 27) in a trade with Phoenix but speculation is that he might play in Europe one more season as he is young, but supposedly very good.

Hall of Famers FrenchConnection's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Jay Williams
    Marcus Banks
    Brevin Knight
    Antonio Daniels
    Monta Ellis
    Speedy Claxton
    I would take any of those.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Munson
    As far as drug rehab, that's never going to be a problem for Jack. He's as good a person and as good a citizen as anyone could possible hope for.
    I was joking about the drug rehab part, and I shouldn't joke about that kind of stuff

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by sixthman
    Speedy Claxton might be a good fit and he might be available.

Don't see us having a prayer in getting Andre Miller, although I'd enjoy watching him play for us.

Not sure about Luther Head being helpful for us at point.

I also like Steve Francis, as politically incorrect as that may be around here. If nothing else, I am damn sick and tired of Jamaal being sick and tired. I'd prefer to live with the Stevie gamble for the next two years than to live through the god awful mess we endured at point guard last season. At least we know Francis can guard someone. I have this feeling that Francis would prove the critics wrong and play some solid basketball in Indiana. Players with ability who have something to prove generally do well. And, like Stephen Jackson, whatever one wants to say about the guy, Francis likes to play the game.
    - Speedy is injury prone
    - You're right...we're not gonna get Dre
    - I'm not convinced that Luther Head is ready to run the show in his sophmore year.
    - Francis may have the offensive skills and quick enough to cause havoc....but isn't a real good 3pt scorer/shooter....actually plays pretty horrible defense....and is shoot first PG.

Given the lack of choices....and this "uptempo" style of offense....I can see from your list...that Francis is the best option that we can likely attain.....but I'd prefer to look at other options before going with Francis....not that there is many options.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Banned

I was joking about the drug rehab part, and I should joke about that kind of stuff
    When your talking about the Blazers, it's always a consideration.

I don't think we're gonna get an "upgrade" at point this year. We may very well trade Tinsley to address a different position, and acquire a backup for AJ, with the notion that we'll find our "future pg" down the road.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy
    I don't think we're gonna get an "upgrade" at point this year. We may very well trade Tinsley to address a different position, and acquire a backup for AJ, with the notion that we'll find our "future pg" down the road.

Well then I want Marcus Banks. Great defender, he could come off the bench and chance the tempo of the game

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The Celtics just waived Orien Greene and from what I remember he played extremely well for a second round pick...I guess he was just the odd man out after the draft...The Celtics also have Delonte West who has been mentioned a few times and Tony Allen who many Celtics fans thought was poised for a breakout year but now maybe buried on the bench. Just some ideas

Jay Williams
    Marcus Banks
    Brevin Knight
    Antonio Daniels
    Monta Ellis
    Speedy Claxton
    Yeah, I did the same thing - Jack would have been nice. They got rif of Telfair though.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Quote Originally Posted by Peskoe97
    The Celtics just waived Orien Greene and from what I remember he played extremely well for a second round pick...
    Really? I'd love to see us offer him the minimum to be our third-string guy.

Of course, we already have two third-string guys, so that position's filled.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

IMHO: What we do will depend on what we have to give up to get Al (if we do the S&T) I have doubts about Jay Williams. If he was ready to play why hasn't someone snatched him up already?

Who would want to take a chance on Tinsley with all his colds,flus and nagging pinky,wrist,tendon,groin,______ injuries.

He may not be tradable right now since he's owed about 30+ million over the next 5 years.
    "He wanted to get to that money time. Time when the hardware was on the table. That's when Roger was going to show up. So all we needed to do was stay close"
    Darnell Hillman (Speaking of former teammate Roger Brown)

I think everything hinges on Bonzi right now. If he signs, we send Jack and Tins/AJ to Denver for Dre, then send Tins/AJ and Foster/Cro to Atlanta for Al. Then we offer a contract to Jay Williams and re-sign Scot.

Quote Originally Posted by Shade
    I think everything hinges on Bonzi right now. If he signs, we send Jack and Tins/AJ to Denver for Dre, then send Tins/AJ and Foster/Cro to Atlanta for Al. Then we offer a contract to Jay Williams and re-sign Scot.
    This may not be the right thread in which to bring this up, but why does everyone seem to dislike Anthony so much? He's been one of the more consistent performers on the team for the past two years and is a leader and just a good all-around player (IMO). Not to mention, he plays more often than Jamaal.

I believe Anthony is a fine starting PG. So, I'm in favor of trading Jamaal for just about anybody, although it would be nice to get a backup PG like Tony Delk (if he's still interested in playing in the NBA) who is quick and a solid player. Chucky Atkins and Milt Palacio are interesting names as well.

Quote Originally Posted by MSA2CF
    This may not be the right thread in which to bring this up, but why does everyone seem to dislike Anthony so much? He's been one of the more consistent performers on the team for the past two years and is a leader and just a good all-around player (IMO). Not to mention, he plays more often than Jamaal.

I believe Anthony is a fine starting PG. So, I'm in favor of trading Jamaal for just about anybody, although it would be nice to get a backup PG like Tony Delk (if he's still interested in playing in the NBA) who is quick and a solid player. Chucky Atkins and Milt Palacio are interesting names as well.
    AJ is at his best in a playstyle counterproductive to what the Pacers are supposedly trying to build. And he's a terrible backup, only playing well as the starter.