Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why did Peja bolt so quickly?

Default Why did Peja bolt so quickly?

What strikes me as odd is how quickly Peja made a decision. Did the Pacers lowball him so much that he decided to 'show them'? ...Or did he just want out of here for some reason?

And what would that reason be? Carlisle? JO? TPTB? Tinsley?

Wasn't there some lat season reports that he wasn't going to resign if Carlisle was to be the coach again?

I think back to how well we were doing with Peja a main cog in the offense and JO on the bench and how things again fell apart when we went away from that. Harrison looked better. Sarunas looked better. AJ looked better. Even Sjax looked better. But the leopard didn't change his spots for long and we were right back to the same old style of play that encourages selfishness and helps create chemistry issues. Especially with the makeup of this team.

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Banned

Default Re: Why did Peja bolt so quickly?

I think he made the decision long ago, to be honest.

This was the first thing I asked last night.

However if you believe a Hornets insider from one of their forums, it seems the Pacers knew this on draft night or even sooner. I suspect the Pacers pretty much knew what it would tale to resign Peja likely knew they weren't going to be paying that much, so they knew it on draft night and that was a factor in who they drafted and what Bird said on ESPN right after the first pick.

I also theorized that once Peja knew Rick was coming back maybe he decided he didn't want to come back.

But in the end I think it came down to money, and the Hornets were willing to pay more than the Pacers and rightfully so.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Peja never truly wanted to stay, but probably would have if our offer was insane. His agent used us as leverage to get a larger contract. It worked. Good riddance.

$
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

It can't only be money. I'm sure his half season in our lockerroom was not a picnic. If morale were so horrible at my work I wouldn't want to come back either.

*Cough*Dale Davis*Cough*

Hard to say no to $12+ million a year.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

So we could have a little more room to get someone we really need, instead of hold back our budding star that plays the same position.
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

@The_Real_CJake

Quote Originally Posted by Los Angeles
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It can't only be money.
    Why not?
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Well in regards to money here is what the Indystar had today

The Pacers could have offered more years -- six -- than other teams, but Stojakovic's agent, David Bauman, said Indiana officials didn't make a good offer. Bauman declined comment on what the Pacers offered. Pacers officials cannot comment until the moratorium ends July12.

"I think it's safe to say we were extremely surprised based on the level of interest (in) Peja . . . and that they traded Peja for Ron Artest," Bauman said. "I will frankly say I was very surprised at where the Pacers came from."
    Bauman said they heard from most of the teams under the salary cap and about seven teams interested in doing a sign-and-trade deal once the free agent period began at 12:01 a.m. Saturday.

INDYSTAR

I am really curious what Indiana offered. And if Indiana publically said they certainly wanted to Keep Peja, but behind closed doors let Peja know that he would probably get a better offer somewhere else ?

Why Not Us ?

I blame mostly JO if he were a leader he would have told Peja to stay.

Actually I don't know, but I hope it is that Bird/Walsh had the sense not to sign him to that contract.
    "They could turn out to be only innocent mathematicians, I suppose," muttered Woevre's section officer, de Decker.

"'Only.'" Woevre was amused. "Someday you'll explain to me how that's possible. Seeing that, on the face of it, all mathematics leads, doesn't it, sooner or later, to some kind of human suffering."

I think LA is right. The first thing that came to my mind upon reading this question was "Dale Davis." I know if the morale of this team is even half as bad as it seems, I wouldn't want to stick around.

IndyToad
    Not wearing green today

It's pretty obvious that Peja wanted more than Indiana wanted to pay. I'm just happy that we didn't get emotionally attached to Peja and over pay him. If he had been 25 or 26 years old, then it would have been a no brainer. The fact that there were teams willing to do a sign-and-trade, and the fact that that didn't happen, tells me that Indiana is focused to become a major player in the free-agent market in another year. I guess they finally got tired of handing out these huge contracts to players just for the hell of it. Why invest a max contract into a player who couldn't play in the playoffs due to a knee injury? Haven't we already been down that road? Was Peja's injury even legit?

I strongly believe Peja wanted to stay here, and Indiana wanted him to stay here, but not bad enough to pay him 12mill/yr.

Because New Orleans had the cap space to throw buckets of money at the guy. He'll fit in really well there I believe. I also agree that Peja probably didn't have much fun here in Indy. The tension and lack of chemistry in that lockerroom after the Ron Artest saga must have been palpable the day he got here. I think bringing in Al Harrington and trading Jackson would go a long way to fixing this problem and ensuring that it doesn't ruin Granger and the rooks.

But, personally, I'm glad we let Peja walk. It's tough that we essentially got nothing for Artest and that we just got nothing for another asset that we had, but whatever. Change is what we needed more than anything. To me, this marks the end of the Auburn Hills fiasco Era. Letting Peja walk is sort of like tearing up pictures of your girlfriend after a bad breakup. Farewell.
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

Follow my twitter:

@8pts9secs

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

To me its basicly a replay of Brad Miller going to the Kings. Brad wanted to stay here the Pacers wanted him but he received an outlandish offer that was impossible for Brad to turn down and too rediculous for the Pacers to match.

The same thing happened with Peja , both wanted him here but the Hornets blew both sides away with their offer. Remember to at 29 , this is his last chance to get huge money. So he'd be a fool to turn the Hornets offer down.

Peja is gone hopefully Al Harrington is brought home now.

Hey...at least DET didnt sign him and just let him ride the bench.
    LoneGranger33 said
    Agreed. As the members of Guns and Roses once said, "every rose has its thorn".

Quote Originally Posted by bulletproof
    Hard to say no to $12+ million a year.
    So is playing with the soon-to-be best PG in the League for the next five years.
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

Follow my twitter:

@8pts9secs

Quote Originally Posted by Ev_eezy
    I strongly believe Peja wanted to stay here, and Indiana wanted him to stay here, but not bad enough to pay him 12mill/yr.
    I strongly believe Peja wanted out.

It's funny to me how badly Bird and TPTB got played. We got nothing out of Artest, and now are a mediocre team with limited options. I think Bird was counting on his celebrity to make people want to play in Indiana, but it's obvious right now we aren't exactly an oasis for FA's.

Got to be under the cap and have the cash to throw around to be an oasis for free agents.

Pacers haven't been under the cap since the cap was initiated.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by JayRedd
    So is playing with the soon-to-be best PG in the League for the next five years.
    Excellent point. After struggling with the Pacers' point guard mess during his short stay, Peja has to be drooling over the fact that he'll be playing with Chris Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog
    I strongly believe Peja wanted out.

It's funny to me how badly Bird and TPTB got played. We got nothing out of Artest, and now are a mediocre team with limited options. I think Bird was counting on his celebrity to make people want to play in Indiana, but it's obvious right now we aren't exactly an oasis for FA's.
    Got played? No, they played a smart game. They could have had Maggette, but they opted to take Peja and his expiring contract instead. I don't think Maggette's foot injury had much to do with us not taking him. I don't understand why a lot of people here don't understand exactly how smart of a move not keeping Peja actually was. Don't look at the effect as of now, look at the future. That's one 64 mill contract that we don't have to pay!

We get relief from Bender's retirement, Pollard's contract is done, Croshere is off the books after this coming season and we have that to use as trade leverage... I mean we're about to have the best chance ever to get this team under the cap while still having some young and promising talent.

Plus, keeping Peja probably would have held back Granger anyway. I'd rather let 29 y/o Peja who has never done a damn thing when it counted most walk, than let Granger - who played big in the Playoffs - walk in 3 years because he wasn't able to get an opportunity to play because we were locked into Peja.

New Orleans is the team that got played. Not us.

The reasons why Peja chose NOK over us, in descending order:

1. $$$
    2. Princeton offense
    3. Play for Byron Scott again
    4. Doesn't have to play for Rick again
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Quote Originally Posted by Los Angeles
    It can't only be money. I'm sure his half season in our lockerroom was not a picnic. If morale were so horrible at my work I wouldn't want to come back either.

*Cough*Dale Davis*Cough*

Oh yes it can just be money. Peja knows he isn't 100% healthy so he needs as much money as fast as he can get it. Peja probably likes the organization but, the lockerroom situation isn't to fun. Then again maybe, he respects the organization so much he rather eat up NO's salary cap because he knows he is going to be injured here on out.

On the bright side, Peja jerseys are now on sale at pacers.com
    Heywoode says... work hard man.

Tim

The main reason is money, a lot of money. Donnie and Larry didn't fail, they stuck to limits. Had Donnie made a fair offer and nobody beat it Peja would be here, thank God for the Hornets.

As far as locker room issues, coach issues, injuries and so on that stuff doesn't matter since it can happen to any team, any time.

So far everything is happening for the best. Rumor is Donnie is now after Al to make up for the loss of Peja. This actually scares me more than Peja because I think Al would take slightly less to come home then sell out to the highest bidder.