Thread: A better Pacers / Raptors / Hawks deal

Default A better Pacers / Raptors / Hawks deal

Indy gives: Tinsley, Foster, and Jax
    Indy gets: MoPete and Al Harrington

Toronto gives: MoPete and Humphries
    Toronto gets: Josh Childress and Steven Jackson

Atlanta gives: Harrington (S&T) and Josh Childress
    Atlanta gets: Tinsley, Foster, and Humphries

Analysis: We get Harrington and MoPete and get rid of our unpopular backcourt. Assuming no other moves (not a given), we'd run JO/Al/Granger/MoPete/AJ. Toronto essentially picks up a young prospect for free at a position where they're extremely needy. Atlanta loses Harrington (who they were going to lose anyway) but adds a decent veteran bigman, a bigman prospect, and a much-needed point guard.

The numbers work, and the logic works (I think) for all three teams.

Thoughts?

EDIT: Changed Josh Smith to Josh Childress.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Default Re: A better Pacers / Raptors / Hawks deal

I don't think Atlanta would trade Smith.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't think Atlanta would trade Smith.
    They wouldn't trade their backup swingman for two starters and a prospect?

I thought that was a pretty good deal for them.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem
    They wouldn't trade their backup swingman for Tinsley, Foster, and Humphries?

I thought that was a pretty good deal for them.
    Smith is a backup? To who?

Trade their young, promising SF for trash, a backup C, and trash?

I don't think so. Not even Atlanta would do that.

If JJ plays the 2, then I'm assuming Smith would back up Childress.

You think they'd do the deal with Childress instead?

Enjoy your time at PD!

Smith is their hope. He is their Danny Granger. No way they move him. He's a 4. Marvin Williams at the 3 won't be moved. They'd probably move Childress though. I like the deal for us, but we'd need another big guy.

Quote Originally Posted by ESutt7
    Smith is their hope. He is their Danny Granger. No way they move him. He's a 4. Marvin Williams at the 3 won't be moved. They'd probably move Childress though. I like the deal for us, but we'd need another big guy.
    Well, I obviously don't watch enough Hawks basketball. Okay, I've changed the thread.

Regarding another big guy, I honestly don't see where he'd play. This would be our lineup:

JO / Harrison
    Al / Croshere
    Granger / Williams
    MoPete / White
    AJ / Saras

We'd also have the option of re-signing Pollard and Freddy (both of which I'd do if the money was reasonable). We wouldn't be taking on any additional salary with the move, so we could still use our MLE without worrying about the luxury tax. You could throw that money at a big man or at a PG.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Trade their young, promising SF for trash, a backup C, and trash?

I don't think so. Not even Atlanta would do that.
    That would be good for us but, like Soup said "not even Atlanta would do that". To bad it wasn't Portland with those players, then we could get it done.

I don't think Toronto would take Jackson.

Then again, I don't think anyone in their right mind would take Jackson. But especially not Toronto, Colangelo's not an idiot.

Face it guys...name ONE team that would take Jackson off our hands. We should have known something was up when Popovich in San Antonio and Atlanta let him walk...

Indy gives: Tinsley, Foster, and Jax
    Indy gets: MoPete and Al Harrington

Toronto gives: MoPete and Humphries
    Toronot gets: Josh Smith and Steven Jackson

Atlanta gives: Harrington (S&T) and Josh Childress
    Atlanta gets: Tinsley, Foster, and Humphries

Analysis: We get Harrington and MoPete and get rid of our unpopular backcourt. Assuming no other moves (not a given), we'd run JO/Al/Granger/MoPete/AJ. Toronto essentially picks up a young prospect for free at a position where they're extremely needy. Atlanta loses Harrington (who they were going to lose anyway) but adds a decent veteran bigman, a bigman prospect, and a much-needed point guard.

The numbers work, and the logic works (I think) for all three teams.

Thoughts?

EDIT: Changed Josh Smith to Josh Childress.
    You still have Toronto getting Smith

Quote Originally Posted by Swingman
    You still have Toronto getting Smith
    I have no idea what you're talking about.

Seriously, I think this makes sense. You could include AJ instead of Tinsley if that's what Atlanta wants.

Enjoy your time at PD!

I think this trade is dead now that Speedy Claxton is supposedly signing with Atlanta. They will have little use for our PGs.

Quote Originally Posted by Eindar
    I think this trade is dead now that Speedy Claxton is supposedly signing with Atlanta. They will have little use for our PGs.
    Yep, I think you're right. Foster's still an attractive piece, but I'm not sure what else we could include that would be appealing.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Well, I obviously don't watch enough Hawks basketball. Okay, I've changed the thread.
    No one watches Hawks basketball, period.

Pollard has to be resigned before we trade Foster, unless we get another guy that can play center in the trade.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen
    Pollard has to be resigned before we trade Foster, unless we get another guy that can play center in the trade.
    If you're going after Al Harrington, the assumption is that Jermaine will play center.

Enjoy your time at PD!