Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are we a playoff team?

Default Are we a playoff team?

This is very early to really say, but in your opinion are we going to be a playoff team without Peja?

Our lineup right now:

PG: Tinsley/Johnson/Saras
    SG: Jackson/White
    SF: Granger/Williams
    PF: O'Neal/Croshere
    C: Foster/Harrison

Granted we will make changes to that lineup. Consider that Tinsley and Jackson are as good as gone, keep in mind we won't get much for them in a trade.

Peja was a good player. Losing his shooting is going to hurt. When you lose one of your best players and get nothing in return, I think that is going to hurt you in the win column.

Looking at the other teams in the East that will probably make the playoffs.

- Detroit
    - Miami
    - Cleveland
    - Chicago
    - Washington
    - New Jersey

I think that these 6 teams are pretty much locks to make the playoffs right now.

Boston will be up there if they get Allen Iverson. The Bucks could be a playoff team, so could Toronto, and then us. It really depends on what other teams do of course but right now I do not like our chances of making the playoffs.

Again it is very early to discuss this but when considering the likely possiable transactions I don't like our playoff position.

It's still early in the off season as I said above, and IMO us, Boston with AI, Toronto, and the Bucks may not be that far apart from each other when it's all said and done.

Default Re: Are we a playoff team?

Can You stay healthy ?
    Vulpes pilum mutat, non mores!

If that lineup can be healthy, we're a better team than we can imagine. We get better at center, and we're a contender. I have a lot of faith in this new movement as you can see. I'm not confident that both Jackson and Tinsley will be gone. I think Tinsley will get one more chance just due to the fact that if we're planning to be a running team, he'd be the perfect point guard for that style.

Banned

If we are healthy we are.

Half the league makes the playoffs. Finish at .500 and you're in. That line-up could be 41-41 easily. And could be 30-52 just as easily.

Still, I'd say yes.

It all depends. If we S&T Harrington plus use our MLE, we'll be bringing in some talent.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Without substantial roster changes, we will have have a worse record than the Knicks.

Yes. The East is that mediocre.
    "They could turn out to be only innocent mathematicians, I suppose," muttered Woevre's section officer, de Decker.

"'Only.'" Woevre was amused. "Someday you'll explain to me how that's possible. Seeing that, on the face of it, all mathematics leads, doesn't it, sooner or later, to some kind of human suffering."

Quote Originally Posted by Ev_eezy
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If that lineup can be healthy, we're a better team than we can imagine. We get better at center, and we're a contender. I have a lot of faith in this new movement as you can see. I'm not confident that both Jackson and Tinsley will be gone. I think Tinsley will get one more chance just due to the fact that if we're planning to be a running team, he'd be the perfect point guard for that style.
    Um...I'm sorry. What movement is that?

We've let a free agent go...and..uhm...I'm trying to grasp what the "new movement" is doing that's so appealing and inspiring of confidence.

Jermaine still here? check. Stephen Jackson. check. Tinsley? check. Our titans of leadship are intact. Roster looks the same to me.

Same coach. Same coaching staff.

I can't point to the draft as part of the "new movement" cause I'm almost %75 sure every team in the NBA participated, so nothing special there.

"New movement"

Sorry, I don't get all giddy over lip service. When I actually SEE something happen, then I may get a bit excited.
    Hey! What're you kicking me for? You want me to ask? All right, I'll ask! Ma'am, where do the high school girls hang out in this town?

Sports Logo

No...we are not a playoff team....we are a team stuck in mediocrity....in fact....I don't even want to make the Playoffs.

We need major changes in order to make it to the Playoffs. I don't want to make a push for the Playoffs, get crushed in the 1st round....and then lose out on any chance that we could have at the lottery.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

We'll be fine, we'll make the playoffs, and have a shot at going to the second round. But, there is still work to be done right now.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrion
    Without substantial roster changes, we will have have a worse record than the Knicks.
    I'm with you, although I think the Knicks will have a great season next you. We need roster upgrades, this team is nice for the PD fan base but, in reality we'd get spanked over half the season. JO is our only true threat, we have no real outside shooters. We are going to have to make some significant roster chances, right now we are not a playoff team.

Quote Originally Posted by Skaut_Ech
    Sorry, I don't get all giddy over lip service. When I actually SEE something happen, then I may get a bit excited.
    Um, on the court or off the court? Because I think our draft picks speak volumes.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The current team is not a playoff team basicly its a 34-38 win team.

Quote Originally Posted by diamonddave00
    The current team is not a playoff team basicly its a 34-38 win team.
    I agree.

Unless there is some major changes its gonna suck being a Pacer fan for a couple more years.

We have a good shot of slipping into the playoffs. We are a .500 team next year as presently constructed. You need very talented players to be much better, and we do not have that.

Losing Artest and Reggie, not to mention other losses like Dale Davis, Jon Bender, Harrington, Brad Miller over the years have left this team with average talent. Thus, we will land in the middle of the pack and be pushed out in the first round if we make it that far. We will continue to pick non-lottery and will continue this pattern until JO retires or is traded or stops playing do to injury.

Also, our best players are injury prone. Please, do not expect Tinsley and JO to be healthy all year and play 82 games and into the playoffs. They will be gimpy again. Granger will be good, but he is no where near good enough to carry a team. Our draft picks are nice additions, but don't expect them to contribute much next year.

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

No way we are a play-off team and the changes I envision management to make would make us a mediocre team at best, maybe a 7th or 8th seed, but that's about it.

We just lost our second scorer, our third scorer might be on the way out, our highest paid PG is always injured and might be gone too (both players won't bag us much btw, unless we throw in one of our few, for other teams, "attractive" parts), our best player is injured atleast a third of the year and talks too much, we are not under the cap either so the best we can do is sign a player for the MLE which I doubt we will do, for the full MLE anyway.

And everone talking about Harrington ... do keep in mind there's talk of him going at the (conservative) rate of atleast 9.5 million in his starting season. Neither is he the solution to our problems, I hope everyone remembers how brilliant he was for us in the play-offs.

As you can see I am not too positive about the direction we seem to be going, but can't say I am surprised. This seems to be exactly the reason why I would have preferred to be a lottery team for one or two years instead of leaning on mediocrity which we seem to be headed too. Yihaa!!! First round here we come, ready to be stomped on.

I'm amazed by some of the optimism of some of my fellow fans. I hope you all got it right. Count me as a defector of the sunshine brigade, Darkside here I come!

Regards,

Mourning
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

Yes, we could back into the playoffs by being 'less bad' than some other team.

But it would be pointless except for a banner saying "The Indiana Pacers- XX Consectutive Playoff Appearances"

Playoffs- Mission Accomplished?

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Judging the roster right now is like judging a movie after the first 20 minutes. It might be fun thing to do , but not very accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    Judging the roster right now is like judging a movie after the first 20 minutes. It might be fun thing to do , but not very accurate.
    Offcourse, it's just the beginning of the season, but like I wrote "the changes I envision management to make would make us a mediocre team at best, maybe a 7th or 8th seed, but that's about it.".

I don't see management as having the will and the means to propell us somehow to something better then that.

We simply have to many problem areas and gaps we need to fill and looking at our cap-situation we can fill maybe one area with a quality player, but the others will have to be filled with lesser players as we don't have the bucks to make a real splash in FA, except if we manage to get that one player in a S&T (the one quality player I think we MIGHT be able to add that I listed above).

Regards,

Mourning

I want the Pacers to be good next year, but if they don't make the playoffs, but are on their way to building a very nice team, I can live with it myself.

I must say all this doom and gloom, I just don't understand. We know we will use the full MLE for the first time in like forever, we know were are trading JT and Jax, why can't those three things bring us some good players who can really help us.

Why so glum

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Without further changes, we're a borderline playoff team.

Miami
    Detroit
    Chicago
    Cleveland

Are all clearly better.

New Jersey
    Washington
    Orlando

Probably are, as well.

Milwaukee
    Boston
    Toronto
    Charlotte

Could all be on the rise.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    I must say all this doom and gloom, I just don't understand. We know we will use the full MLE for the first time in like forever, we know were are trading JT and Jax, why can't those three things bring us some good players who can really help us.

Why so glum
    Ok, I don't see us grabbing a "great" player with the MLE. Just take a look at the average salary of a decent NBA player, so I don't see us getting a significant boost from that area.

Tinsley and Jackson. I doubt other franchises are blind to what has happenned around here and will likely do some background research on these two, that's why I don't see us nabbing a good player for them, unless we throw in an expiring Cro (which would mean we take maybe a good player back, but with a MASSIVE salary) or one of our few players that actually does have some value. I think Jeff and/or AJ might well have to be included for others to take up our garbage.

We just lost our second scorer, third best rebounder, best three point shooter, not to mention one of our few players with a really good bball IQ and one that knows how to share the ball for nothing, forgive me for not feeling so positive. Sure, that salary he's going to receive is higher then what we should have paid him, still people acting like this actually strengthened our team, I just don't get it.

Btw people talking about 2001 and beying similar to now should remember we only got out of beying AWFULLY mediocre (at best, making the play-offs on the last one or two game days in a horrible eastern conference) by doing a trade that send Jalen out that got us a disproportianate amount of talent.
    Too bad some of that talent bit us in the *** over the years, while we let others get away.

Anway going by this 2001 logic, are we going to trade JO next year?

Regards,

Mourning

We will win it all next year.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

We are certainly not better than the Pistons, Heat, Nets, Cavs, and Bulls.

I say Washington and Milwaukee are about our level, although probably a little better, and make the playoffs.

That leaves us, Toronto, Orlando, Charlotte, Boston (perhaps with Iverson) competing for that last spot. Generally, every year, at least one young team makes a push based on hustle and outplays their talent level. Toronto, Orlando, and Charlotte can beat us out. A Boston team with Iverson could be great or awful. And the Knicks have the talent, though I think they'll suck. Point is, the East has some depth now.

We're in trouble. Sixth tops, worst case about 11th, probably 7-8.