Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Could Big Ben become a Baby Bull ?

Default Could Big Ben become a Baby Bull ?

Wallace to meet with Bulls on first day of NBA free agency
    Saturday, July 01, 2006
    By A. Sherrod Blakely

AUBURN HILLS - Two NBA officials confirmed Friday night that Detroit center Ben Wallace, considered by most to be the top free agent available this summer, is scheduled to meet with the Chicago Bulls in Chicago today. Teams can begin negotiating with free agents today, but they can not sign players to contracts until July 12.

The Bulls are one of the few teams that will have enough salary cap space to sign Wallace, who as an unrestricted free agent can sign with any team he wants.

While all indications have been that Wallace would re-sign with Detroit, several league officials contacted on Friday said that they're not surprised that the 31-year-old Wallace will consider all his options.

"This is going to be the biggest contract of his career," said one Western Conference official. "He wants to come back to Detroit. Everybody knows that. But he wants to get the best deal he can, too. The only way to make sure that happens, is to see what other teams are willing to offer."

Another factor in negotiations is Wallace's new agent, Arn Tellem, who represents some of the NBA's top players like Los Angeles Lakers' guard Kobe Bryant, Houston's Tracy McGrady, and Indiana's Jermaine O'Neal.

Tellem was instrumental in convincing the Bulls this past season to release one of his clients, Tim Thomas, in time for Thomas to be eligible for the playoffs. Thomas signed with the Phoenix Suns, and was a key performer in helping Phoenix advance to the Western Conference finals.

That relationship, coupled with the Bulls likely to have $15-17 million available to offer Wallace, might be enough to entice the five-time All-star to leave a Pistons team that's expected to offer him a contract in that's expected to start in the $12-14 million range.

Joe Dumars, Detroit's president of basketball operations, has every intention of re-signing Wallace. However, earlier this week he mentioned that the team has a number of contingency plans they will consider if Wallace decides to play elsewhere.

"You have to have an initial plan and you have to have contingencies in a situation like this," Dumars said following Wednesday night's NBA draft. "Because everything is not in your hands, so you better have contingencies. If this were like a restricted free agent, you could sit here and plot out, 'here's (plan) A and here's (plan) B.' But when it's someone else's call at the end of the day, it puts you in a position where you have to have one or two different plans."

Among those options would be to work out a sign-and-trade, similar to what they did with Grant Hill in 2000 when they traded him to Orlando for Wallace and ex-Piston Chucky Atkins. If the Pistons were to pursue a sign-and-trade with the Bulls, they would probably ask for the deal to include Tyson Chandler who, like Wallace, is a defensive-minded shot blocking center.
    L I N K

Source: Bulls targeting Wallace as top priority

July 1, 2006

BY BRIAN HANLEY Staff Reporter

The Bulls begin making telephone calls today as the NBA's free-agent contact period officially starts.

Teams can negotiate with players on the market but cannot sign them until July 12.

A source close to the Bulls said the team has targeted Detroit big man Ben Wallace, 32, as its top priority. Wallace, an unrestricted free agent, was expected to be a lock to remain with the Pistons until he and coach Flip Saunders had a late-season falling out.

If the Bulls are unable to land Wallace, Atlanta forward Al Harrington (unrestricted) and Seattle power forward Chris Wilcox (restricted), 23, are next on the Bulls' list of front-court free agents.

Chicago Sun Times

Wallace is likely to receive the biggest contract of any free agent. The four-time Defensive Player of the Year helped the Pistons win the 2004 NBA title.

The Bulls, who might be only a center away from being a serious contender, are expected to make a big-money offer. The Pistons are reportedly set to make him a four-year offer starting at $12 million.

If Wallace stays in Detroit, as expected, the Bulls will try to land Joel Pryzbilla of Portland, the second-best center available. Harrington and Stojakovic will command salaries in the $8 million to $10 million range.
    Orlando Sentinel

Will Ben run with the Bulls?

My moles are telling me the Pistons have one team to beat in the Ben Wallace sweepstakes: the Bulls.

Although there are other teams interested in Wallace's services, the Bulls have made it clear they want the defending defensive player of the year and are willing to spend some big-time cash to secure him.

That's the only way a team will pry him from the Pistons.

Wallace, the cornerstone of the Pistons' turnaround that included the 2004 title, has made it clear he would love to stay in Motown. But he knows this is business.

At the end of the day, finances will determine the future.

The free-agent rush began at midnight, and you can bet Wallace's people received at least two phone calls -- one from the Pistons and the other from the Bulls.

Word is the Pistons will offer Wallace, 32, a four-year, $48 million deal. The Bulls are prepared to offer Wallace about $15 million per season -- for three or four years.
    Detroit News

Why Not Us ?

Default Re: Big Ben a Baby Bull ?

That's a misleading title. This only says they're meeting today. With a headline like that, I'd expect these articles to be announcing a verbal agreement.

Default Re: Big Ben a Baby Bull ?

That relationship, coupled with the Bulls likely to have $15-17 million available to offer Wallace, might be enough to entice the five-time All-star to leave a Pistons team that's expected to offer him a contract in that's expected to start in the $12-14 million range.
    Sorry, but he ain't worth that kind of money. Maybe a couple of years ago, but not now. He looked shoddy in the playoffs.

Default Re: Could Big Ben become a Baby Bull ?

Would you rather have him go to the Bulls or remain with the Pistons?

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Depends on who I'm rooting for.

In general, though, I'd love it if the Bulls tied up a serious amount of their cap room in a guy who could rebound and defend but had no offensive game. Oh wait, that already happened.

Can lightning strike twice?
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

If he goes to Chicago, they could be contenders for a year or two. If he stays with Detroit, the Pistons will have to lock in long term and will likely be stuck with an aging roster for the next 3-4 years.

Either way, $15 mil+ is too much. I think Chicago wants him more than Detroit does right now, though.

I hope he stays with Detroit. I don't want Chicago getting better.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The is a classic arn tellam move to make Joe D nervous: breaking bread with the sworn enemy the very first day.

Joe's going to offer $12 million, and make ben the highest-paid piston. Period.

If Ben wants more, he can go to chicago and god bless him. I'm not going to sweat over this.

If he DOES go to chicago, they'll probably try to do a sign-and-trade with chandler.

If I were Joe, I'd strong-arm them into throwing in Deng or Nocioni. The Bulls cant afford both ben and chandler, and everyone knows it.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat
    The is a classic arn tellam move to make Joe D nervous: breaking bread with the sworn enemy the very first day.

Joe's going to offer $12 million, and make ben the highest-paid piston. Period.

If Ben wants more, he can go to chicago and god bless him. I'm not going to sweat over this.

If he DOES go to chicago, they'll probably try to do a sign-and-trade with chandler.

If I were Joe, I'd strong-arm them into throwing in Deng or Nocioni. The Bulls cant afford both ben and chandler, and everyone knows it.
    you guys should hold out for Kobe too while you're at it.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

It's worth a shot. Chicago has to dump chandler if they want ben wallace, and i doubt anyone else would take him at any price.

This is all plan B stuff anyway. Best case scenario, I want ben to stay in detroit.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008

Deng and Nocioni are both too good to be considered throwins

Mood

I have a feeling Ben will remain a Piston, not many teams have the money to sign him or players Dumars wants for a S&T
    STARBURY

08 and Beyond

Deng and Nocioni are both too good to be considered throwins
    The alternative would be to tell chicago to sign ben and pair him with chandler, who has a large deal, does the exact same job ben does, and plays the same position ben does. They sure as hell cant be on the floor at the same time; that would be suicide.

Chicago can't afford to have both of them.

If I'm Joe and Chicago says no, I happily let them sign ben to a huge deal, and watch chicago choke on those deals when hinrich, deng and gordon come up for contract extensions.

I'm not saying Chicago would agree to it, I'm saying their alternative would screw them over down the road.

Couldn't Chicago trade Chandler paired with Gordon to another team?
    "They could turn out to be only innocent mathematicians, I suppose," muttered Woevre's section officer, de Decker.

"'Only.'" Woevre was amused. "Someday you'll explain to me how that's possible. Seeing that, on the face of it, all mathematics leads, doesn't it, sooner or later, to some kind of human suffering."

Quote Originally Posted by Arcadian
    Couldn't Chicago trade Chandler paired with Gordon to another team?
    Sure, assuming they wanted to trade Gordon....

It's a dicey situation for the bulls no matter what. At least Joe would be more willing to take a lesser player along with chandler.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat
    Sure, assuming they wanted to trade Gordon....
    I hope they don't.
    STARBURY

08 and Beyond

There has been a lot of speculation that Gordon will be traded. I don't see it being a far-fetched idea.

http://www.pacersdigest.com/forums/s...t=gordon+trade
    "They could turn out to be only innocent mathematicians, I suppose," muttered Woevre's section officer, de Decker.

"'Only.'" Woevre was amused. "Someday you'll explain to me how that's possible. Seeing that, on the face of it, all mathematics leads, doesn't it, sooner or later, to some kind of human suffering."

They offered Ben wallace a whole $4 million more than Detroit. Somehow, I expected more.

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercu...s/14954410.htm

Bulls vs. Pistons: Ben Wallace has 2 offers

By Krista Jahnke

Detroit Free Press

(MCT)

DETROIT - As other NBA free agents came to quick conclusions and signed new contracts over the weekend, Ben Wallace pondered the two deals on his plate and waited to see if others would top it.

The Pistons have offered a four-year deal worth approximately $48 million to keep their defensive-minded center in Detroit. And the Chicago Bulls, who sent coach Scott Skiles and vice president of basketball John Paxson to Detroit, have started bidding at closer to $52 million for four seasons.

Wallace is an unrestricted free agent and can verbally agree to a deal at any time, but he can't sign a contract until July 12 at the earliest.

Only four teams - Chicago, Atlanta, Charlotte and Toronto - have the salary cap space to target Wallace without arranging a sign-and-trade. Of those, only Chicago has shown real interest to this point.

Any team can try to acquire Wallace through a sign-and-trade, and the Philadelphia 76ers' Web site reported Saturday that the team called his agent, Arn Tellem.

The Pistons, meanwhile, also have placed calls to William Phillips, the Detroit-based agent who represents Sacramento shooting guard Bonzi Wells. Although Wallace is the team's primary concern, Wells also is high on Detroit's summer shopping list.

Wells dominated the Kings series against San Antonio in the playoffs, a showing that might have raised his worth around the league.

He reportedly wants a deal for five years starting near $8 million a season, a figure the Pistons might not be willing to pay, especially since Wells would come off the bench. But he fits the profile of one of their primary needs - a scorer who can slash and attack defenses off the dribble.

The Sacramento Bee reported Sunday that general manager Geoff Petrie started the bidding for Wells at something more than the roughly $5-million trade exception. The Denver Nuggets are also high on Wells.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Ben will probably stay with Detroit if that's Chicago's best offer.

It's interesting that Sacto is lowballing Bonzi. His asking price seems fairly reasonable to me.

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood
    you guys should hold out for Kobe too while you're at it.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

Rumer in NO is that the Hornets want Chandler and would trade PJ Brown and JR Smith for him. Soo that Chicago could then sign Wallace.... This comes from the Hornet' digest and one of their 'trusted' sources....

Quote Originally Posted by dadscout
    Rumer in NO is that the Hornets want Chandler and would trade PJ Brown and JR Smith for him. Soo that Chicago could then sign Wallace....
    ...except that trading chandler isn't going to improve their offer....

I find it very hard to believe Ben would leave for $13 million, as opposed to the $12 million he'd get if he stayed.

It's always about the money. Follow the money and you will see where
    he goes. It's not just a million(hahaha), it is 4,5 or 6 million over the
    life of the contract.

owl
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Shade
    Ben will probably stay with Detroit if that's Chicago's best offer.

It's interesting that Sacto is lowballing Bonzi. His asking price seems fairly reasonable to me.
    There aren't any reports saying we're lowballing him. What the reports have said is that Petrie has offered him more than the MLE. I suspect he will probably get a 5 yr. $40 million-type offer, but that might be a LITTLE high.

Bonzi wants to stay, the Maloofs want him to stay, the fans love him.

I'd feel a lot better, however, if Chandler hadn't gone to NO. They're saying on hornetsreport.com that the Wallace to Chicago deal is as good as done, so that means Detroit might just get silly and throw more money at Bonzi. I don't know what our final line in the sand will be...
    NBA basketball - taking my breath away since 1963.

Quote Originally Posted by owl
    It's always about the money. Follow the money and you will see where
    he goes. It's not just a million(hahaha), it is 4,5 or 6 million over the
    life of the contract.

owl
    Not nearly enough.