Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Toronto after Pedja big time

Default Re: Toronto after Pedja big time

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yeah....but do you really want to resign Peja for that much and for that long?

I certainly don't.

S&T for the 6 years and get back some value. I will live with whatever benefits we can get from moving Peja....who I think can still fetch us some decent value in return...instead of living with a 6 year overpaid contract that we will be stuck with for years to come.

We're not gonna win in the immediate future.....why stick us with another Croshere-like contract?
    Yes, I think we're saying the same thing.

I was just suggesting that since we can give Peja the best contract, we may be able to S&T him even to a team under the cap like Toronto or NO/OK.
    "I'll always be a part of Donnie Walsh."
    -Ron Artest, Denver Post, 12.28.05

Leisure Suit Larry

Quote Originally Posted by JayRedd
    Not sure....Can't say I spend that much time thinking about Bonner or Nasho in the off-season actually. You're probably right though.

And if we offer Peja six years this summer, I will probably be drinking a lot of whiskey that day. Gross.
    He was that was big NBA news that day

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Suaveness
    If he's interested in winning, however, Toronto's probably not the place to go.
    I think its a big stretch to assume that Peja is worried about winning. He's made it clear many times that basketball is just a job to him.

We've heard for a long time that he seems to be more interested in moving someplace with a large Serbain population (Chicago, Toronto) than moving someplace that might be a perennial NBA title contender.

Its his life; let him live it as he sees fit. But that's the biggest reason I don't want the Pacers to be the team that gives him the "lifetime security" contract he's seeking. He'll have no more motivation once that deal is signed... But he may still long for the opportunity to live in a city with a large Serbian population.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Quote Originally Posted by Jay@Section204
    I think its a big stretch to assume that Peja is worried about winning. He's made it clear many times that basketball is just a job to him.

We've heard for a long time that he seems to be more interested in moving someplace with a large Serbain population (Chicago, Toronto) than moving someplace that might be a perennial NBA title contender.

Its his life; let him live it as he sees fit. But that's the biggest reason I don't want the Pacers to be the team that gives him the "lifetime security" contract he's seeking. He'll have no more motivation once that deal is signed... But he may still long for the opportunity to live in a city with a large Serbian population.
    I don't think he is, I just said it as a possibility. No one really knows what he wants. I hope someone offers a ridiculous amount, and I hope we don't match. I'd much rather have Granger starting.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I don't understand the point of this guys question, considering who they did pick over Morrison. Bargnani's strength is outside shooting, so opening things up for CV and Bosh is exactly what Bargnani will do.

Is there any chance we could package another guy with Peja if we end up s/t'ing him to the raptors or hornets?

Quote Originally Posted by FrenchConnection
    This is the team that worries me. Unlike most American players, Europeans would actually like playing and living in Toronto. It is one of the most "European" cities in North America, and because Montreal does not have a team it is the most European city in the NBA. I know that if the Canadian Employment laws were not as they are, I would love to live there.

Also, there are a lot of Serbs there, as well as other Eastern Europeans and South Slavs. My only hope is that Bird knows something about this that we don't, because he seems to be talking as if he is staying. If he does leave for nothing, then our ArtTwest trade was a complete bust, much like Bucks trade of Ray Allen.

Two wonderful points there. If Peja is looking for something that is relativity comparable to his European heritage Toronto is going to be perfect for him. I've been to Canada numerous times and it has a very European feel, especially Toronto. Toronto is HUGE though, their population is like 8 million or something, it's absolutely huge. I love Canada, and have even thought about living there as well but, I can't give up being a good Ole' American. Plus, some of their political, and economical views need to be sorted out before I give up all of the benefits of America.

Second point; the Bucks trade of Ray Allen? Come'on they got Gary Payton isn't that fair? lol..

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    I'd like to have Mike James.
    I'll second that.
    Sometimes a player's greatest challenge is coming to grips with his role on the team. -- Scottie Pippen

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by marcus
    Is there any chance we could package another guy with Peja if we end up s/t'ing him to the raptors or hornets?
    I doubt it.....unless they are absolutely desperate for Peja.

If its to the Raptors or the Hornets...I would probably guess not.

Both teams can probably offer some players that we can use that they won't mind parting with that would meet Peja's expected salaries. The Raptors won't mind giving up MoPete and the Hornets can probably give up Mason or PJ Brown.

I can see both teams taking on the expected large salary contract demand that Peja will command....but also taking on SJax or Tinsley...the guys that I am guessing that you are talking about....would probably not be worth it.

The only place that I can see Peja going to that would take on either Tinsley or SJax...is the TWolves...mainly cuz they need the 3pt shooting....and have the big Contracts to absorb the expected 15+ mil a year contract that any Peja+Tinsley or SJax deal would cost.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac@Section216
    I don't understand the point of this guys question, considering who they did pick over Morrison. Bargnani's strength is outside shooting, so opening things up for CV and Bosh is exactly what Bargnani will do.
    Except they can't all be on the floor at the same time.

To be honest, I have no idea what Toronto's doing.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    This talk about the Hornets and Raptors making a hard push for Peja reminds me of what I read about Utah and Denver pushing for Brad Miller 3 years ago. I think Peja's done in Indiana.

After what happened in the draft and with Toronto probably willing to
    give him max he is gone. On JMV today Donnie said they had plan B
    if he is not re-signed. Oh well.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

sweabs

Funny thread.

This talk about the Hornets and Raptors making a hard push for Peja reminds me of what I read about Utah and Denver pushing for Brad Miller 3 years ago. I think Peja's done in Indiana.
    Sadly, all I believe this means is that we'll end up paying out the nose for Peja, and then all the Brad-backers can go nuts that TPTB didn't do the same thing for him.

i'm not worried about peja leaving indy this summer, period.

new orleans and charlotte aren't even options so i'm going to disregard them. no way would peja consider them and no way would they throw big money at a 29 yr old SF when they still would probably miss the playoffs. those two teams are going to build through the draft and wait for a "superstar" to come along to invest their cap in.

now lets look at toronto and chicago. i'll admit, both teams probably appeal to peja due to the large city atmosphere and serb population. but i don't necessarily see how he fits with either team. toronto has a ton of forwards and needs help at the other positions like PG and SG. plus, they're going to want to save their cap to re-up mo pete and bosh next summer. i could see colangelo spending a little bit this summer on some backcourt help......but i don't see him throwing huge money at a forward, especially a 29 year old forward, when you have 4 promising young ones on your team.

chicago is stacked at SF too.....they have sefolosha, nocioni, and deng. their cap space will go towards a big man like harrington, przbilla, or muhammod. the last thing they need is a shooter......they need a banger.

on top of all of this we have two things going in our favor. peja wants to be here and we can offer him more money. the absolute most i could see any team throwing at him is 5 years 60 million (12 million a year). we could give him say 6 years at say 64 million (10.5 million a year). i think he would take the later even though it's less per year.. peja is looking for the most money he can get as this will be his last contract.

i'm 90% confident peja will be back next year. as long as we don't give him more than around 10 million a year......i'll be happy.

I agree with Buck. Mike James could make a world of difference for the Pacers.

Toronto is sitting at about $35M, without James figured in. The cap is supposed to be about $50M - $51M. If Toronto is also serious about re-signing James, then they would almost have to deal with him first.

If James wants in the neighborhood of $7M - $8M per year, then it's going to be pretty tight to sign both Peja and James. And it would be pretty risky to sign Peja first for, let's say, $9M when they don't know how much it will take to re-sign James.

But they could sign Peja and just accept the fact that they have 'x' number of dollars left over for James. Either he takes what's left or he walks.

But for the Pacers sake, I'd just as soon see the Raptors deal James to the Pacers up front if we are going to lose Peja anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by beast23
    I agree with Buck. Mike James could make a world of difference for the Pacers.

Toronto is sitting at about $35M, without James figured in. The cap is supposed to be about $50M - $51M. If Toronto is also serious about re-signing James, then they would almost have to deal with him first.

If James wants in the neighborhood of $7M - $8M per year, then it's going to be pretty tight to sign both Peja and James. And it would be pretty risky to sign Peja first for, let's say, $9M when they don't know how much it will take to re-sign James.

But they could sign Peja and just accept the fact that they have 'x' number of dollars left over for James. Either he takes what's left or he walks.

But for the Pacers sake, I'd just as soon see the Raptors deal James to the Pacers up front if we are going to lose Peja anyway.

i'd like mike james if and only if we can trade jax for a defensive SG. i can't imagine those two in the backcourt together.....JO would be lucky to get 15 shots a game.

i think toronto is intent on letting him walk and working a S&T. every thing i have read indicates he won't be coming back. i would consider dealing one of our pg's for him via S&T.

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shade
    Sadly, all I believe this means is that we'll end up paying out the nose for Peja, and then all the Brad-backers can go nuts that TPTB didn't do the same thing for him.
    I still think Peja's as good as gone. Him leaving is good and bad to me.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

Quote Originally Posted by purdue101
    i'd like mike james if and only if we can trade jax for a defensive SG. i can't imagine those two in the backcourt together.....JO would be lucky to get 15 shots a game.

i think toronto is intent on letting him walk and working a S&T. every thing i have read indicates he won't be coming back. i would consider dealing one of our pg's for him via S&T.
    Actually, with James ability to also play defense, I could settle for a backcourt of James and AJ. That gives you two combo guards in the lineup together, both of which are good defensively while also being able to shoot from the perimeter or penetrate.

I wouldn't want Jackson (or Tinsley for that matter) in my backcourt, period.

The bad thing is, if we did a sign and trade for James, Bird/Walsh might be tempted to keep Jackson as another SF and start moving players around.

I'd go bonkers if they did.

Mood

I find it interesting people comment on Peja being 29 and not wanting to sign him for 5 or 6 years ,he has been a 3 time all star and averaged 19ppg here.

Yet they would do a sign and trade for Mike James a 31 year old journeyman shoot first point guard who had a good year for a poor Raptor team. James is wanting paid in the 7-9 mil range himself as a free agent.

Sorry I just don't see the logic there.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

I agree, I think Mike James is signficantly overrated on this board.

But I don't care how good he is defensively, I don't get excited about shoot-first PGs, period.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Mike Jame is a very good player, but he is a clown (one of the best in NBA) and headcase. Really - we witnessed it couple of times this year. Just imagine the Rick-James-SJax triangle. Do You think James would listen Rick and obey his micromanagement? Include JO in this list (remember, what JO said after last game when AJ scored 40 - "Tinsley is our starter"), not talking about PG contraversy. If I had to choose, I'd take Tinsley with all his pouting (let it be true or not) in a heartbeat. If we have to upgrade the PG spot - it's OK, but please not at such (chemistry) price.
    Besides, I don't envision Bird wanting James style PG.
    I'm really sorry because of my english (which is my 3-4 language) and I really appreciate Your patience. I hope this board will make me better

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by diamonddave00
    I find it interesting people comment on Peja being 29 and not wanting to sign him for 5 or 6 years ,he has been a 3 time all star and averaged 19ppg here.

Yet they would do a sign and trade for Mike James a 31 year old journeyman shoot first point guard who had a good year for a poor Raptor team. James is wanting paid in the 7-9 mil range himself as a free agent.

Outside of the age thing....I'm not particularly fond of his mentality and many of his off-the-court comments to various Radio stations. Me-thinks he has an ego....and I don't want another ego on the team.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Mood

I'm not very excited about Mike James either.

Now, if we could get MoPete, I'd be happy.
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

@The_Real_CJake

Quote Originally Posted by diamonddave00

Well, I don't want Mike James but I understand the idea. We have Granger behind Peja, but we have nobody we trust at PG.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Tim

YESSSS!!!!!!!!