Thread: My 2 Cents

Default My 2 Cents

I put off commenting on the draft until I had time to do a little more research on Shawne and White along with checking out what other players we passed on. Figure now I would put in my two cents.

Overall, I’m pretty content with the two guys we picked up last night. UB posted a thread yesterday about “swinging for the fences” with our pick……not only did Bird do it once, but twice. I’ve done my homework on these two and I feel that at least one, if not both, is going to turn into a solid NBA player, possibly even a star. Both need some fine tuning, but if you’re looking at the “P” word……these two are top 10 prospects in this draft.

I actually think James White has more potential than Shawne. The guy is an absolute freak of nature athletically. He has great size and quickness for the 2 spot. I’ve read that his best asset is his defense, which really intrigues me simply b/c I think he can be an offensive force as well. Good footwork, great hops, quick, and a nice shooting stroke. He just needs a team to take him under their wing and really help him gain some basketball smarts. I don’t know if you guys remember, but this kid was one of the most highly touted high school kids in the country. He has all the tools to be a special player. If he lives up to this potential, I envision him developing into a poor man’s Jason Richardson.

Before the draft, Shawne was a guy I had in the back of my head in the event that we planned on taking a good prospect instead of an immediate contributer. Like White, he just needs some time and fine-tuning to sharpen his skills. I watched a lot of Memphis this year and there were times when he looked like the best player on the team. He flat out dominated the C-USA tourney. The only knock I have on him is that he is almost too similar to Danny and I worry about him getting mins. Who knows though, the way the NBA is changing I could envision those two working well on the court together. If he lives up to this potential, I envision him developing into a quicker, more athletic, Tim Thomas, with a decent post game.

Time will tell with these guys. It would have been nice to grab an immediate contributor like M. Williams but I can’t fault Bird for “swinging for the fences.” Going into the draft, many thought these two could possibly be the diamonds in the rough. Bird is taking a chance, but it could pay off big time if they live up to the hype. To win in the NBA today you need a superstar like D-Wade, Lebron, etc. As much as I liked Redick, M. Williams, Rondo, and as much as I thought they could help this team, none of them have superstar potential. Shawne and White both have it…..but only time will tell. Bird could go done as the flop of this draft……he could also go down as the genius of the draft. I truly feel this draft will define his legacy as a GM.

Leisure Suit Larry

Default Re: My 2 Cents

I have to disagree about White having more potential than Williams. They both have a lot though. Great picks.

the problem I think a lot of people are having is two fold:

1) with the team as it currently stands....where do these two players fit? How can they get minutes? How do they fit into Carlisle's system?

2) is the team about to go through a few major trades?

Once those questions are answered, I think we will be better able to critique this draft. It is very possible that these two players will end up on the developmental squad if not major trades are made. Hell, I would prefer that rather than see them rack up DNP-CD's.

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by FSU-IU
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    the problem I think a lot of people are having is two fold:

1) with the team as it currently stands....where do these two players fit? How can they get minutes? How do they fit into Carlisle's system?

2) is the team about to go through a few major trades?

Once those questions are answered, I think we will be better able to critique this draft. It is very possible that these two players will end up on the developmental squad if not major trades are made. Hell, I would prefer that rather than see them rack up DNP-CD's.
    1. No immediately impact. At best they are insurance for injuries.
    2. If you call not signing Peja and possibly moving Austin major then yes.

I just don't think other teams really want Tinsley or Jax, and the Pacers are not going to listen to people here and trade away JO.

I think what the Pacers really want is some could luck in the health dept. Even if major major trades were made and the new guys are just as injured next season what have we changed?

Banned

Counting our draft picks we have 11 players signed and on our roster right now.

Centers: Foster, Harrison

PF: Oneal, Cro

SF: Granger, Williams

SG: Jackson, White

PG: Johnson, Tins, Saras

There are certainly more moves on the horizon. What those moves are and how quickly the rooks develop and grasp the system are going to directly impact how soon they start contributing off the bench.

If they grasp the system at all, their defensive ability, athleticism and ability to run the floor and finish strong will earn them minutes.

i am comfortable letting fred walk after picking up two wings in shawne and white. i think white can make up for his defensive intensity and his athletiscm. even so, if i were bird i would make it known that we "intend" to match all offers so hopefully we can get a pick or something in a S&T.

on the other hand i want peja back despite having two young SF's. his shooting is such an asset when you have a post presence like JO.