Thread: Am I the only one concerned about Danny Granger's knee?

Mood

Default Am I the only one concerned about Danny Granger's knee?

We all know the story from the draft: That was the reason he fell. When he got here he looked fine, in face they even worked on the knee before the season started.

However, what's been neglected by our local media and Pacers TV is that he's had knee trouble flare up at least once or twice this season. Ever wonder why during seemingly random pockets he'd only play about 5-10 minutes after getting 20+ ? His knee was swollen, and kept him out. I know this happened at least a couple of times when I finally learned about it reading a New Mexico news article on Granger during the second half of the season.

I get the feeling when I read the board that not a lot of people know or remember that story. But the point is, his knee is a problem waiting to happen, and I for one am concerned about it. I'll try to find the article, but I'd appreciate it if someone else did.

*edit*

Here is the article:

http://www.pacersdigest.com/forums/s...t=18399&page=3

Saturday, January 21, 2006

Ex-Lobo Danny Granger Wouldn't Have Career Any Other Way

By Mark Smith
    Journal Staff Writer
    INDIANAPOLIS— His tooth was bent so far back in his throat it was sideways— courtesy of a Kobe Bryant elbow.
    He's had stitches in his forehead. Stitches in his mouth. He's been battered, bruised and suffered a concussion. That infamous knee injury? It, too, continues to flare up from time to time.

And Danny Granger's having the time of his life.
    "I've got no complaints," Granger says, flashing his patented down-home smile, donned in a retro Houston Oilers jacket and New York Yankees lid. "How can you not just love it?"
    Save the physical fatigue, it truly is the lifestyle every kid who's ever fired a jumper through a netless playground rim dreams about. A 7,000-square-foot home, a brand new SUV and a multimillion-dollar contract to play in The League.
    But make no mistake, while Granger isn't the only NBA success story around, he is still in a league of his own.
    Granted, it's been only seven months since he went from a struggling college kid to the land of riches. But money hasn't changed Granger. It's doubtful either will time.
    "He's still exactly the same all right," says Granger's girlfriend, Dionna Kann, rolling her eyes with a smile. "I mean exaaaactly! I don't think some things will ever change. The video games and the computers? He's still on them all the time.
    "Any time we go anywhere, he goes to the TV games area, 'Oh, this is a new game' ''
    "Xbox 360," Granger says, when asked about his primary play toy these days. "It's real sweet."
    So is Granger's other game— the one in which he makes his living.
    The former University of New Mexico sensation has worked his way into a starting role as an Indiana Pacers rookie. And although he aggravated theknee he injured last season— causing his production to decline this week (a combined four points the past three games)— Granger still looks to be on the fast track toward long-term NBA success.
    "He's a hard-working kid who's got a lot of ability," says Indiana coach Rick Carlisle of his 6-foot, 9-inch forward. "... I love his demeanor and his commitment to the game, and he'll keep getting better."
    Indiana president Larry Bird says, "He's a tough kid, first of all. He's long, he's athletic. The thing that caught my eye the most is how he can defend, he can defend multiple players. ... The more he plays, the better he'll get."
    Granger has been playing a great deal these days. The departure of disgruntled star Ron Artest, who has left the team waiting to be traded, moved Granger into a starting role. After averaging 13 minutes and 2.6 points the season's first 13 games, he averaged 31 minutes, 10.3 points and 6.4 rebounds in his most recent eight games until this week.
    The extra minutes, however, are speeding up the unavoidable crash into the Rookie Wall, that point of the season most first-year players experience, their minds and bodies seemingly slamming into a brick blockade.
    Granger's left knee was so swollen after the Pacers' 98-92 victory against Charlotte on Wednesday, he didn't know if he'd be able to play at all Friday. He did, but just 10 minutes— going scoreless. Indiana is suffering through a rash of injuries, reducing the team to eight healthy bodies.
    "We only had three guys on the bench (Wednesday), so I had to try and play as much as I could," Granger said. "But I'm feeling it. It's all part of the Rookie Wall.
    "... You play a lot of games in the NBA. It can be a good thing or bad thing. If you have a few bad games, it doesn't kill your season like it did in college. But it's harder. Our schedule has been crazy."

Taking care of friends
    It's game day, and after the Pacers' morning shoot-around, Granger heads to the team's gift shop to make a large purchase. He greets security personnel on the way to the store.
    "Just the nicest young man," one female security officer says of Granger.
    Needing to fill requests, Granger begins to pile jerseys— with his name and No. 33 on the back— over his forearms.
    "These little ones are for coach (Ritchie) McKay's kids," he says. "I promised to send them some.
    "... It's kind of weird," he says of seeing his name on the jersey. "It was tough to get used to. I'd see people walking around. When I first saw them, I was like 'whoa.' I'm kind of getting used to it, but it's definitely different.''
    Rounding up gear for friends and family isn't Granger's only chore these days. His teammates require certain attention as well.
    "He's a rookie," says Pacers guard Stephen Jackson. "He has to get bagels and cream cheese every morning. At the beginning of the season, he broke some team rules, buying things for different people— but I won't go into that."
    "Neither will I," Granger says with a laugh.
    Buying is something Granger— who signed a three-year, $4 million contract— has done often for other people. People close to him. The Metairie, La., native filled his new Carmel, Ind., home with beds, furniture and supplies last summer when he moved a dozen or so family members in after Hurricane Katrina forced their evacuation.
    Granger's family has since moved back to the New Orleans area, where he says "they are doing a lot better now. I was just so grateful I was in a position to help. I'm able to pay for my brother to go to school, and I bought him a car, too."
    But make no mistake, Granger says he's well aware of the value of money. He says he's heard "horror stories" about players who have tossed away millions, as well as falling prey to scams.
    The NBA has programs that educate its players about certain dangers, and Granger says he's already seen a number of hazards firsthand.
    "A lot of places we go, girls know who we are before we get there," he says. "They'll know your stat line, where you were born, what your sister's name is. They'll be at hotels.
    "And then there are those who act like they don't know who you are, and then will slip. They'll say something, like 'so how was Bradley?' 'Oh, and you didn't know who I was until I got in here? Come on now.'
    "It makes you value all the real people, like Dionna and all my friends back in New Mexico. I've got so many people coming at me now because of who I am. ... It makes me appreciate the real people in my life."
    Kann, who started dating Granger at UNM two years ago, is one of those. She spent the holiday break with her beau, helping to decorate his abode. On Wednesday it was back to Albuquerque, where she is working on teaching degree.
    "It's been tough with him so far away," says Kann, who also works as a nanny and a waitress at Souper Salad. "But we talk just about every night, and I try to support him all I can."
    Granger says they aren't engaged, but that's "coming soon, real soon."

Rookie knocks
    There are plenty of real people also trying to knock Granger's block off— on the floor. Being a rookie defensive whiz has it's drawbacks, especially when it comes to checking a superstar.
    In a recent game against the Lakers, Kobe was torching the Pacers. Granger was summoned to stop the ball-hogging gunner, and Granger did just that four straight trips down the floor.
    On the fifth, Bryant found a way to get a shot off— firing an elbow into Granger's grill that sent his front tooth toward his throat.
    "It was just flat-out dirty," says Aaron Mintz, one of Granger's agents. "That's why Kobe has the reputation he does."
    Bird, with a proud papa smirk, says "In this league, no veteran likes a rookie to guard them— especially when they know (that rookie) can defend. Danny's got the ability to be a very good player in the league."
    Granger, who will likely need a root canal to save the tooth, finished the game.
    "I had to come back, they needed me," Granger says. "It was so bad, the nastiest thing ever. (The Lakers') Lamar Odom was like 'Oh my goodness! Kobe did that?' I couldn't even talk.
    "But I've got him next time, that's all I'm going to say— we do play them again and I will guard him again."
    Three times Granger has needed stitches in a game, and once received a concussion— something he didn't know until after the contest. But as with the tooth mauling, he finished every game.
    "He's had a rough year," Jackson says. "There's a lot of guys in this league who get elbowed, get their teeth knocked out. They'll go in the locker room and sit the rest of the game. Danny comes out and plays. You have to respect a guy for that."
    And in Granger's case, for a whole lot more as well.

GRANGER BY THE NUMBERS
    $4 MILLION
    Granger's approximate salary over his first three years in the NBA
    Number he was chosen by Indiana in the first round of the 2005 NBA Draft
    Career scoring average at UNM
    Division I player— Granger— who averaged at least 18 points, 8.5 rebounds, two steals, two assists and two blocks a game last year
    Friends and family members living at Granger's house during the devastation caused by Hurricane Katrina

BIOGRAPHY
    BORN: April 20, 1983
    FAMILY: Son of Danny and Janice Granger, has an older sister (Jamie) and younger brother (Scott)
    HIGH SCHOOL: McDonald's All-America nominee before his senior year at Grace King High in Metairie, La.
    COLLEGE: Made the Missouri Valley Conference All-Freshman team for Bradley in 2001-02, averaging 11.1 points and 7.1 rebounds a game.

Highly publicized transfer to New Mexico after the first semester of his sophomore season, having averaged 19.2 points and 7.9 rebounds for the Braves.

First-team All-Mountain West Conference in 22 games for the Lobos, averaging 19.5 points and 9.0 rebounds as a junior.

Runner-up to Utah's Andrew Bogut as MWC Player of the Year, despite suffering a knee injury that required surgery and sidelined him for three games.

NBA: Picked 17th in the June draft

Default Re: Am I the only one concerned about Granger's knee?

"I'll always be a part of Donnie Walsh."
    -Ron Artest, Denver Post, 12.28.05

Leisure Suit Larry

Maybe this will let the Danny Granger lovefest die down a little. Good point there.

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Please, Basketball Gods, SPARE HIM!!! We need no more. WE'RE SORRY!!!!!

PLEASE!!!!!!
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Leisure Suit Larry
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Maybe this will let the Danny Granger lovefest die down a little. Good point there.
    Your act is getting old, in fact is has already gotten old.

There is no lovefest for Danny, and I can only speak for myself, but I realize he has potential to be a serious liability. Guess what. SO what 99.9% of the other guys in the NBA.

Was he a risk? Yes. Has he been a steal and played amazingly for a rookie? Yes.

So yeah, I am worried about his knee but until it becomes a problem that really has a negative impact on his game I am not going to lose any sleep over it.

Lovefest ain't going anywhere.

Besides, Peja would appear to have the more serious knee injury.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood
    Lovefest ain't going anywhere.

Besides, Peja would appear to have the more serious knee injury.
    Yeah, but Peja's agent says his knee is A-OK.

I mean, would Peja's agent lie?
    Super Bowl XLI Champions

Default Re: Am I the only one concerned about Danny Granger's knee?

I'd say 75% of the players in the NBA have had surgery and/or have some type of chronic injury that flares up from time to time. So what? It is the nature of sports. Athletes get hurt, they recover, they get hurt again.

Quote Originally Posted by loborick
    I'd say 75% of the players in the NBA have had surgery and/or have some type of chronic injury that flares up from time to time. So what? It is the nature of sports. Athletes get hurt, they recover, they get hurt again.
    I hope so, our only bright spot does not need to be plagued by injury, and I'll be damned if our entire team is again, next year.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by loborick
    I'm hoping that's all it is, but when your team has the amount of injury problems the Pacers have had since the 21st century started, you feel pretty nervous reading about a rookie having knee trouble his first year in the league.

Danny is still very young. A falre every once in a while right now is nothing to worry about. If he is having two years from now I may worry.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

woman without a team

His knee is either going to be fine or it's not. I'm not losing any sleep over it.

Before I continue please understand I really like Danny. He might be my favorite player if a certain player or two either leaves or is traded. That being said, if Danny tanks because of bad knees I will make you all forget you ever heard of Jonathan Bender.

Quote Originally Posted by grace
    His knee is either going to be fine or it's not. I'm not losing any sleep over it.

Before I continue please understand I really like Danny. He might be my favorite player if a certain player or two either leaves or is traded. That being said, if Danny tanks because of bad knees I will make you all forget you ever heard of Jonathan Bender.
    I don't think I'd worry about Danny, grace.

I think Danny is a lot more like Al than Bender.

Remember how Al rehabbed his knee? Worked like an S.O.B. and came back from major knee surgery on an ACL much earlier than even his surgeon could have predicted.

I see a lot more of Al's work ethic in Danny than Bender's. I have total faith that his knee will be ready to go for next season.

lets trade granger and jermaine for tj ford, bucks 1st rd pick, michael redd, and magloire somehow

haha that'd be a joke
    *removed* Just keep politics and religion completely out of it, please.

Quote Originally Posted by grace

Thats a ludacris comparison.

Granger was not the 5th pick.

Granger has shown more actual talent, not potential, in a year then Bender did his whole "career".

Granger has not gotten a contract extension while proving absolutely nothing.

Granger has actually showed up for a playoff series.

Leisure Suit Larry

Quote Originally Posted by vapacersfan
    Thats a ludacris comparison.

Granger was not the 5th pick.

Granger has shown more actual talent, not potential, in a year then Bender did his whole "career".

Granger has not gotten a contract extension while proving absolutely nothing.

Granger has actually showed up for a playoff series.
    What does that have to do with the rapper? I think you mean ludicrous

I'm going to have to disagree with you though. Bender had a lot of talent, more than Danny Granger, and he did show it sometimes. I think his knee injury is just a tad worse.

Quote Originally Posted by vapacersfan
    Your act is getting old, in fact is has already gotten old.

There is no lovefest for Danny, and I can only speak for myself, but I realize he has potential to be a serious liability. Guess what. SO what 99.9% of the other guys in the NBA.

Was he a risk? Yes. Has he been a steal and played amazingly for a rookie? Yes.

So yeah, I am worried about his knee but until it becomes a problem that really has a negative impact on his game I am not going to lose any sleep over it.
    So by saying there is a lovefest for Danny, which other people see too, I am putting on an act? Aw, someone's upset.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

That serious knee injury that he had in college and hat he had to have surgery for cost him a whole 3 games.

THREE GAMES! Wow, the Pacers better trade him now while they still have a chance.

I'm much more concerned with JO and Peja's knees than I am about Granger's. Yet, I want to keep all 3 of them because I think their talents outweigh the risks.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Danny is a tough kid. He played most of last season with this knee flaring up and he did fine. Unless he suffers another injury to the knee (which could happen to anyone), I don't think it's gonna prevent him from playing a lot. He's got a lot of spirit and heart, which is often the best medicine. A lot of players miss significant time with lesser injuries... not sayin' names.

What does that have to do with the rapper? I think you mean ludicrous

I'm going to have to disagree with you though. Bender had a lot of talent, more than Danny Granger, and he did show it sometimes. I think his knee injury is just a tad worse.

So by saying there is a lovefest for Danny, which other people see too, I am putting on an act? Aw, someone's upset.
    First all all, I dont come here to make friends, and I dont get upset at people. Its the internet, its not real life.

As for Bender, I never saw any of this so called "talent." Sure, he could jump high, but that was it. Not to mention he always looked lost to me and seeing that "deer in the headlight look became all to common of a occurance.