Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Big deal brewing between Phoenix/Seattle- Jonathan Givony

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Big deal brewing between Phoenix/Seattle- Jonathan Givony

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Who would Pheonix take at 10?
    Probably Reddick. Pechirov is also a player that D'Antoni probably likes.

If he's been drinking, I could even see him going for Shawne Williams.

The Suns may be thinking O'Bryant could fall to them, which would be a steal, albeit a longshot.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Steve McQueen

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat
    His 5rpg average wasn't a fluke, it was part of a trend.

Shard's rebounds have decreased each of the last 4 seasons. As his scoring has gone up, he's gone away from the paint entirely. He's becoming Glen Rice part 2.
    Which is exactly why a change of scenery would do him good. But him in Phoenixs fastbreak offense, and I gurantee you his field goal percentage, points per game, and rebounding all go up.

If Shard goes to Phoenix expect 24/8.....book it.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem
    Who would Pheonix take at 10?
    I would guess either Nash's eventual replacement (Williams, Rondo, Farmar) or an athletic big man with strong defensive skills like Saer Sene or Cedric Simmons.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve McQueen
    Which is exactly why a change of scenery would do him good. But him in Phoenixs fastbreak offense, and I gurantee you his field goal percentage, points per game, and rebounding all go up.

If Shard goes to Phoenix expect 24/8.....book it.

1. Lewis's shot attempts would go down, not up, especially if Amare is healthy.

2. Nobody's rebounding increases in that offense. Were you not listening? If anything, it only encourages Shard to float around the perimeter more and not rebound.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008

Amazing deal for Seattle, pretty stupid one for Phoenix.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy
    Amazing deal for Seattle, pretty stupid one for Phoenix.
    I dunno, I don't think it helps either team.

Marion is obviously a better all-around player than Lewis. But he's the kind of guy that makes a good team better. He doesn't strike me as a guy that makes a bad team good.

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat
    I dunno, I don't think it helps either team.

Marion is obviously a better all-around player than Lewis. But he's the kind of guy that makes a good team better. He doesn't strike me as a guy that makes a bad team good.
    That may very well be true. But they already know for a fact Lewis isn't.

That may very well be true. But they already know for a fact Lewis isn't.
    Yes, and now they can pay Marion $6 million MORE to win the same amount of games....

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I don't think this makes either team worse and I do not think it makes either team better. They just don't strike me as good trading partners.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Banned

I think many are missing the point from Phoenix' perspective. They would do this deal knowing that Lewis is going to walk after next year. They're basically saying that they'd rather be able to resign Barbosa and Diaw than keep Marion and then not resign one or both of those guys.

Assuming the trade goes down, that is.

Oh, I understand they're doing this to keep Diaw. I don't know about Barbosa though, considering he may be included in the deal.

I don't like this deal at all for Phoenix.

I think that they are taking a huge risk in trading away Marion. Marion one of their best players and a very important part of that team. He can play the 3 or 4 and as bad as an offenseive game he has he has still manged to average nearly 20 points per game pretty much ever since his second year in the league. He is a double double guy every night while giving you a block and a steal.

If they want to trade Marion, fine. But if you trade him for some of the names i've been hearing, Tyson Chandler and now Rashard Lewis. Sure they get a draft pick too but how does that help them win now? It doesn't.

Sure they get to keep probably Boris Diaw and maybe either Barbosa and/or Tim Thomas but they lose Shawn Marion. How good are the Suns without Marion? I guess we will find out.

I can sort of understand why they want to deal Shawn, yet I don't understand why they would have interest in some of these deals.

So they trade Marion for Lewis/pick with the intentions of Lewis walking next summer? So all you get for your 3rd best player is the 10th pick and you keep your role players? Maybe it's just me, but I don't think that is a hell of a deal for the Suns. I know Diaw is good and Barbosa and Thomas have crucial roles but man I don't see how they can afford to trade Marion, at the very least not until they see how Amare comes back.

Oh, I understand they're doing this to keep Diaw. I don't know about Barbosa though, considering he may be included in the deal.

Seattle and Phoenix may yet make a deal, but Phoenix is losing big time talent wise the way this is laid out. Marion is a stud and Barbosa is very good. Lewis is an all star, but not in Marion's class. Barbosa is really the deal breaker for me here. That's way to much. Better if it was James Jones instead of Barbosa.

Banned

So no one is going to take issue with the idea of the salary dump itself? Its nowhere near a fair deal...If I was a Suns fan, I would have made about 500 calls to the corporate office today.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

My first impression is that this is not a bad deal for Seattle, but is horrible for Phoenix. Mucking with a team on the cusp to save money is the ultimate insult to fans. The only rationale I see to this from the Suns' perspective is that they expect that #10 pick to be huge for them.

Should the Pacers make a run for Marion? What do you guys think it would take? That would be a hell of a logjam.

Plax80

Quote Originally Posted by rommie
    I don't like this deal at all for Phoenix.

I think that they are taking a huge risk in trading away Marion. Marion one of their best players and a very important part of that team. He can play the 3 or 4 and as bad as an offenseive game he has he has still manged to average nearly 20 points per game pretty much ever since his second year in the league. He is a double double guy every night while giving you a block and a steal.

If they want to trade Marion, fine. But if you trade him for some of the names i've been hearing, Tyson Chandler and now Rashard Lewis. Sure they get a draft pick too but how does that help them win now? It doesn't.

Sure they get to keep probably Boris Diaw and maybe either Barbosa and/or Tim Thomas but they lose Shawn Marion. How good are the Suns without Marion? I guess we will find out.

I can sort of understand why they want to deal Shawn, yet I don't understand why they would have interest in some of these deals.

So they trade Marion for Lewis/pick with the intentions of Lewis walking next summer? So all you get for your 3rd best player is the 10th pick and you keep your role players? Maybe it's just me, but I don't think that is a hell of a deal for the Suns. I know Diaw is good and Barbosa and Thomas have crucial roles but man I don't see how they can afford to trade Marion, at the very least not until they see how Amare comes back.
    Lewis isn't likely to walk away from playing next to Nash. I think he will flourish in that system. Marion's work on the boards will be missed but from their perspective its a no-brainer.

They won't pay the luxury tax...so you are really left with a Marion and Barbosa for Diaw, Thomas, Lewis, and the 10th pick. Phoenix will be setting themselves up very nicely for the next 5 years w/o worrying baout exceeding tax threshhold.

Thats a great deal.

From Seattle's perspective....they want to win now again. Marion is a better player than Lewis. They don't want to lose Lewis and get back nothing. They were left with doing a deal like this and vaulting back into the WC ladder or completely tearing down the team and starting from scratch. I believe the owners want out and the best way to accomplish that is to start winning again. Marion is very expensive but his deal has only three years left and by including Fortson, you are really only adding salary in the 2nd and 3rd yrs. They already have some young big players, in Collison, Swift, Wilcox, etc... so the 10th pick wasn't going to help them.

Great move as well for them.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Shade
    Should the Pacers make a run for Marion? What do you guys think it would take? That would be a hell of a logjam.

1. YES!!!!

2. I'd be willing to trade pretty much anyone on the team other than JO, including Granger, for Marion. I love Granger but I doubt he'll ever be as good as The Matrix. Maybe a package of Granger, Jackson, and Tinsley for Marion and James Jones would work?

Let the team work out the logjam problems during the summer.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!