Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Big deal brewing between Phoenix/Seattle- Jonathan Givony

Banned

Default Big deal brewing between Phoenix/Seattle- Jonathan Givony

This guy is about as well-trusted as it gets when it comes to internet rumor sites:

http://www.draftexpress.com/viewarticle.php?a=1369

To put it simply:

Phoenix trades: Shawn Marion (doesn't get along with Amare, max contract), #27, possibly Barbosa

Seattle Trades: Rashard Lewis (Can opt out after next year), #10, possibly Fortson

Basically Phoenix does it to stay competitive for now while extending guys like Diaw, knowing that Lewis is likely a one year player.

Default Re: Big deal brewing between Phoenix/Seattle- Jonathan Givony

Interesting.

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Hmmmmmm.

Interesting....

Wonder what kind of non-JO rumors the Pacers will be involved in.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Without Marion Phoenix has nobody to rebound the ball.

THey cant run if the other team gets 15 offensive boards every quarter...

Nash
    Bell
    Lewis
    Diaw
    Stoudemire

Sooo much offense in that lineup, so little defense, so nonexistent rebounding.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Doesn't get along with Amare? What happened?
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Nash
    Bell
    Lewis
    Diaw
    Stoudemire

This pretty much sums it up. Expect the Suns to stink next year if they let Marion go, with or without Amare.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr._Basketball
    This guy is about as well-trusted as it gets when it comes to internet rumor sites:

To put it simply:

Phoenix trades: Shawn Marion (doesn't get along with Amare, max contract), #27, possibly Barbosa

Seattle Trades: Rashard Lewis (Can opt out after next year), #10, possibly Fortson

Basically Phoenix does it to stay competitive for now while extending guys like Diaw, knowing that Lewis is likely a one year player.
    No way Phoenix does this deal. Phoenix's coach has repeatedly stated that it would take a no brainer for Marion to be traded. This is a clear win for Seattle. Just another rumor with no substance.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I still don't understand why they'd want to trade Marion. With the season he had in the absence of Amare, the two of them together could be insane.
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

@The_Real_CJake

Mood

Nash
    Bell
    Lewis
    Diaw
    Stoudemire

Amare is the rebounder in that line up and Lewis can grab about 8 a game, probably only about a 3 or 4 rebound dropoff.
    STARBURY

08 and Beyond

Quote Originally Posted by Robertmto
    Amare is the rebounder in that line up and Lewis can grab about 8 a game, probably only about a 3 or 4 rebound dropoff.

Rashard averaged 5RPG last year. Marion averaged 12, which was as many as Lewis and Diaw combined.

Amare averages about 9 for his career. Rebounding is arguably one of his weakest suits.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008

Sports Logo

I don't see why a PF/C rotation of Kurt Thomas, Amare and Boris wouldn't allow them to get enough rebounding.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Mood

Rashard averaged 5RPG last year. Marion averaged 12, which was as many as Lewis and Diaw combined.

Amare averages about 9 for his career. Rebounding is arguably one of his weakest suits.
    Lewis will be in a much faster and shorter system tho, he an add 3rpg
    STARBURY

08 and Beyond

Steve McQueen

I'd like to see this deal just to see how Marion performs in a non-Suns enviorment. Would he still put up the monster numbers?

The sad thing is, if this does happen, Marion drops off the face of the NBA map while Shard suddenly becomes a household name come spring.

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

I have heard reports before about Amare not getting along with some on the team. I didn't know Shawn was one of them.

From a far away perspective ... Marion doesn't strike me at all as a difficult person, while Amare ... I don't know he's got something over him that I can easily see irritating others. I think the reports about him not getting along had especially to do with him acting as if he were a "gangster" in certain circumstances. I think it was two years ago when I heard it.

And the Suns would like to re-sign Amare to the max and with the salary structure they currently have they are going to have trouble beying able to do that, so I see the reasoning from their side about trading their current highest contract (Marion).

Quote Originally Posted by Steve McQueen
    I'd like to see this deal just to see how Marion performs in a non-Suns enviorment. Would he still put up the monster numbers?

The sad thing is, if this does happen, Marion drops off the face of the NBA map while Shard suddenly becomes a household name come spring.
    I don't believe that will happen. Sure, Phoenix has a system that plays to the strengths and qualities that Marion seems to excell in, BUT Seattle wouldn't be a bad fit for him I think.

Regards,

Mourning
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

I think Marion deserves a ton of credit for the Suns success the past two years. He has been one of the few contributers in both Sun's seasons. I think he will do great where ever he goes.
    "They could turn out to be only innocent mathematicians, I suppose," muttered Woevre's section officer, de Decker.

"'Only.'" Woevre was amused. "Someday you'll explain to me how that's possible. Seeing that, on the face of it, all mathematics leads, doesn't it, sooner or later, to some kind of human suffering."

Quote Originally Posted by Mourning

And the Suns would like to re-sign Amare to the max and with the salary structure they currently have they are going to have trouble beying able to do that, so I see the reasoning from their side about trading their current highest contract (Marion).
    Dang Morning, your usually on the ball. The Suns have already signed Amare to an extension.

The rumor is they want to trade Marion so they can resign Leandrinho Barbosa and Boris Diaw. However, both Barbosa and Diaw are under contract next year. It's the year after that that they have to make a qualifying offer, so even if the Suns wanted to trade Marion so they could resign Barbosa and Diaw they wouldn't have to do it until next year.

Now they do want to resign Tim Thomas, but that's not included in this particular rumor.

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen
    Dang Morning, your usually on the ball. The Suns have already signed Amare to an extension.

The rumor is they want to trade Marion so they can resign Leandrinho Barbosa and Boris Diaw. However, both Barbosa and Diaw are under contract next year. It's the year after that that they have to make a qualifying offer, so even if the Suns wanted to trade Marion so they could resign Barbosa and Diaw they wouldn't have to do it until next year.

Now they do want to resign Tim Thomas, but that's not included in this particular rumor.
    Ouch! That's pretty stupid of me. I must have missed it. I thought he had to be re-signed this summer.

Then, yes, it changes the scenario I was talking about wholescale (sp?).

Regards,

Mourning
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

To put it simply:

WELL-TRUSTED? This is the guy that got banned from one of the draft sites llast year (I'll see if I can find it) after he admitted that he made up the quotes in one of his "articles". In fact, he had never met with the people he had quoted. But I guess that is to be expected when it comes to Internet "jounalism". Don't trust anything or anyone, unless they're a PD member.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by indygeezer
    WELL-TRUSTED? This is the guy that got banned from one of the draft sites llast year (I'll see if I can find it) after he admitted that he made up the quotes in one of his "articles". In fact, he had never met with the people he had quoted. But I guess that is to be expected when it comes to Internet "jounalism". Don't trust anything or anyone, unless they're a PD member.
    Actually, that was about 2-3 years ago, I think...and yes, he's still the most trusted out there. I don't count the Chad Fords of the world since he's now at ESPN. I'm talking about just the "rumor" sites

I'd rank them like this:

1. nbadraft.net (they don't put out many rumors but you can infer a lot from their mock draft, I know some of these people pretty well)
    2. draftexpress.com (Givony has legitimate contacts across the league)
    3a. realgm.com (copies off everyone else)
    3b. hoopshype.com (see realgm.com)
    5. hoopsworld.com (Steve Kyler is an absolute moron, but for certain teams the beat reporters are pretty close to the team)

I'd rank them like this:

1. nbadraft.net (they don't put out many rumors but you can infer a lot from their mock draft, I know some of these people pretty well)
    Like Loren Woods being the #1 pick, or giving The Clippers an "E" on draft night for trading Tyson Chandler for Elton Brand?

Quote Originally Posted by Robertmto
    Lewis will be in a much faster and shorter system tho, he an add 3rpg
    1. Phoenix's system isn't that much faster than Seattle's.

2. Do you have any idea how big a jump 3 rebounds per game is? That's an extra 240+ rebounds per season for a guy that wouldn't know where the paint was if you drew him a map.

Steve McQueen

NBAdraft.net consistently has the more accurate mock draft. However, it is true DraftExpress has far more content on their site. I check them both out daily.

As for Shard Lewis, anyone who doesn't think the Suns high octane tempo will increase a players production is crazy. Its common sense really. More possessions, more shots, more misses etc. The high number of players who have had their career years under said system is all the proof you need. Nash, Amare, Marion, Diaw, Bell, Richardson, J. Johnson etc.
    I think in Phoenix's current system, Lewis could easily be a 24/8 player. Not quite on Marions level, but not nearly as far off as the casual fan would think. The question is, do the picks involved make it worthwhile for both teams? Hard to say....

As for Shard Lewis, anyone who doesn't think the Suns high octane tempo will increase a players production is crazy. Its common sense really.

Phoenix is a middle-of-the-pack team in terms of total rebounds per game. Their style inflates points and assists, but that's pretty much it. Expecting a mediocre rebounder to increase his average to 8RPG is beyond silly.

Steve McQueen

Phoenix is a middle-of-the-pack team in terms of total rebounds per game. Their style inflates points and assists, but that's pretty much it. Expecting a mediocre rebounder to increase his average to 8RPG is beyond silly.
    The 5.0 rpg were by far the lowest of Shards career since becoming a starter. His first 4 years starting, he averaged between 6.5-7.1 each season. So to say it's beyond silly to expect Shard to average 8 rebounds per game, in a stats-friendly Phoenix system, is kind of streching it in my humble opinion.

The 5.0 rpg were by far the lowest of Shards career since becoming a starter. His first 4 years starting, he averaged between 6.5-7.1 each season. So to say it's beyond silly to expect Shard to average 8 rebounds per game, in a stats-friendly Phoenix system, is kind of streching it in my humble opinion.
    His 5rpg average wasn't a fluke, it was part of a trend.

Shard's rebounds have decreased each of the last 4 seasons. As his scoring has gone up, he's gone away from the paint entirely. He's becoming Glen Rice part 2.

Who would Pheonix take at 10?
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!