Announcement

Collapse

The Rules of Pacers Digest

Hello everyone,

Whether your are a long standing forum member or whether you have just registered today, it's a good idea to read and review the rules below so that you have a very good idea of what to expect when you come to Pacers Digest.

A quick note to new members: Your posts will not immediately show up when you make them. An administrator has to approve at least your first post before the forum software will later upgrade your account to the status of a fully-registered member. This usually happens within a couple of hours or so after your post(s) is/are approved, so you may need to be a little patient at first.

Why do we do this? So that it's more difficult for spammers (be they human or robot) to post, and so users who are banned cannot immediately re-register and start dousing people with verbal flames.

Below are the rules of Pacers Digest. After you have read them, you will have a very good sense of where we are coming from, what we expect, what we don't want to see, and how we react to things.

Rule #1

Pacers Digest is intended to be a place to discuss basketball without having to deal with the kinds of behaviors or attitudes that distract people from sticking with the discussion of the topics at hand. These unwanted distractions can come in many forms, and admittedly it can sometimes be tricky to pin down each and every kind that can rear its ugly head, but we feel that the following examples and explanations cover at least a good portion of that ground and should at least give people a pretty good idea of the kinds of things we actively discourage:

"Anyone who __________ is a liar / a fool / an idiot / a blind homer / has their head buried in the sand / a blind hater / doesn't know basketball / doesn't watch the games"

"People with intelligence will agree with me when I say that __________"

"Only stupid people think / believe / do ___________"

"I can't wait to hear something from PosterX when he/she sees that **insert a given incident or current event that will have probably upset or disappointed PosterX here**"

"He/she is just delusional"

"This thread is stupid / worthless / embarrassing"

"I'm going to take a moment to point and / laugh at PosterX / GroupOfPeopleY who thought / believed *insert though/belief here*"

"Remember when PosterX said OldCommentY that no longer looks good? "

In general, if a comment goes from purely on topic to something 'ad hominem' (personal jabs, personal shots, attacks, flames, however you want to call it, towards a person, or a group of people, or a given city/state/country of people), those are most likely going to be found intolerable.

We also dissuade passive aggressive behavior. This can be various things, but common examples include statements that are basically meant to imply someone is either stupid or otherwise incapable of holding a rational conversation. This can include (but is not limited to) laughing at someone's conclusions rather than offering an honest rebuttal, asking people what game they were watching, or another common problem is Poster X will say "that player isn't that bad" and then Poster Y will say something akin to "LOL you think that player is good". We're not going to tolerate those kinds of comments out of respect for the community at large and for the sake of trying to just have an honest conversation.

Now, does the above cover absolutely every single kind of distraction that is unwanted? Probably not, but you should by now have a good idea of the general types of things we will be discouraging. The above examples are meant to give you a good feel for / idea of what we're looking for. If something new or different than the above happens to come along and results in the same problem (that being, any other attitude or behavior that ultimately distracts from actually just discussing the topic at hand, or that is otherwise disrespectful to other posters), we can and we will take action to curb this as well, so please don't take this to mean that if you managed to technically avoid saying something exactly like one of the above examples that you are then somehow off the hook.

That all having been said, our goal is to do so in a generally kind and respectful way, and that doesn't mean the moment we see something we don't like that somebody is going to be suspended or banned, either. It just means that at the very least we will probably say something about it, quite possibly snipping out the distracting parts of the post in question while leaving alone the parts that are actually just discussing the topics, and in the event of a repeating or excessive problem, then we will start issuing infractions to try to further discourage further repeat problems, and if it just never seems to improve, then finally suspensions or bans will come into play. We would prefer it never went that far, and most of the time for most of our posters, it won't ever have to.

A slip up every once and a while is pretty normal, but, again, when it becomes repetitive or excessive, something will be done. Something occasional is probably going to be let go (within reason), but when it starts to become habitual or otherwise a pattern, odds are very good that we will step in.

There's always a small minority that like to push people's buttons and/or test their own boundaries with regards to the administrators, and in the case of someone acting like that, please be aware that this is not a court of law, but a private website run by people who are simply trying to do the right thing as they see it. If we feel that you are a special case that needs to be dealt with in an exceptional way because your behavior isn't explicitly mirroring one of our above examples of what we generally discourage, we can and we will take atypical action to prevent this from continuing if you are not cooperative with us.

Also please be aware that you will not be given a pass simply by claiming that you were 'only joking,' because quite honestly, when someone really is just joking, for one thing most people tend to pick up on the joke, including the person or group that is the target of the joke, and for another thing, in the event where an honest joke gets taken seriously and it upsets or angers someone, the person who is truly 'only joking' will quite commonly go out of his / her way to apologize and will try to mend fences. People who are dishonest about their statements being 'jokes' do not do so, and in turn that becomes a clear sign of what is really going on. It's nothing new.

In any case, quite frankly, the overall quality and health of the entire forum's community is more important than any one troublesome user will ever be, regardless of exactly how a problem is exhibiting itself, and if it comes down to us having to make a choice between you versus the greater health and happiness of the entire community, the community of this forum will win every time.

Lastly, there are also some posters, who are generally great contributors and do not otherwise cause any problems, who sometimes feel it's their place to provoke or to otherwise 'mess with' that small minority of people described in the last paragraph, and while we possibly might understand why you might feel you WANT to do something like that, the truth is we can't actually tolerate that kind of behavior from you any more than we can tolerate the behavior from them. So if we feel that you are trying to provoke those other posters into doing or saying something that will get themselves into trouble, then we will start to view you as a problem as well, because of the same reason as before: The overall health of the forum comes first, and trying to stir the pot with someone like that doesn't help, it just makes it worse. Some will simply disagree with this philosophy, but if so, then so be it because ultimately we have to do what we think is best so long as it's up to us.

If you see a problem that we haven't addressed, the best and most appropriate course for a forum member to take here is to look over to the left of the post in question. See underneath that poster's name, avatar, and other info, down where there's a little triangle with an exclamation point (!) in it? Click that. That allows you to report the post to the admins so we can definitely notice it and give it a look to see what we feel we should do about it. Beyond that, obviously it's human nature sometimes to want to speak up to the poster in question who has bothered you, but we would ask that you try to refrain from doing so because quite often what happens is two or more posters all start going back and forth about the original offending post, and suddenly the entire thread is off topic or otherwise derailed. So while the urge to police it yourself is understandable, it's best to just report it to us and let us handle it. Thank you!

All of the above is going to be subject to a case by case basis, but generally and broadly speaking, this should give everyone a pretty good idea of how things will typically / most often be handled.

Rule #2

If the actions of an administrator inspire you to make a comment, criticism, or express a concern about it, there is a wrong place and a couple of right places to do so.

The wrong place is to do so in the original thread in which the administrator took action. For example, if a post gets an infraction, or a post gets deleted, or a comment within a larger post gets clipped out, in a thread discussing Paul George, the wrong thing to do is to distract from the discussion of Paul George by adding your off topic thoughts on what the administrator did.

The right places to do so are:

A) Start a thread about the specific incident you want to talk about on the Feedback board. This way you are able to express yourself in an area that doesn't throw another thread off topic, and this way others can add their two cents as well if they wish, and additionally if there's something that needs to be said by the administrators, that is where they will respond to it.

B) Send a private message to the administrators, and they can respond to you that way.

If this is done the wrong way, those comments will be deleted, and if it's a repeating problem then it may also receive an infraction as well.

Rule #3

If a poster is bothering you, and an administrator has not or will not deal with that poster to the extent that you would prefer, you have a powerful tool at your disposal, one that has recently been upgraded and is now better than ever: The ability to ignore a user.

When you ignore a user, you will unfortunately still see some hints of their existence (nothing we can do about that), however, it does the following key things:

A) Any post they make will be completely invisible as you scroll through a thread.

B) The new addition to this feature: If someone QUOTES a user you are ignoring, you do not have to read who it was, or what that poster said, unless you go out of your way to click on a link to find out who it is and what they said.

To utilize this feature, from any page on Pacers Digest, scroll to the top of the page, look to the top right where it says 'Settings' and click that. From the settings page, look to the left side of the page where it says 'My Settings', and look down from there until you see 'Edit Ignore List' and click that. From here, it will say 'Add a Member to Your List...' Beneath that, click in the text box to the right of 'User Name', type in or copy & paste the username of the poster you are ignoring, and once their name is in the box, look over to the far right and click the 'Okay' button. All done!

Rule #4

Regarding infractions, currently they carry a value of one point each, and that point will expire in 31 days. If at any point a poster is carrying three points at the same time, that poster will be suspended until the oldest of the three points expires.

Rule #5

When you share or paste content or articles from another website, you must include the URL/link back to where you found it, who wrote it, and what website it's from. Said content will be removed if this doesn't happen.

An example:

If I copy and paste an article from the Indianapolis Star website, I would post something like this:

http://www.linktothearticlegoeshere.com/article
Title of the Article
Author's Name
Indianapolis Star

Rule #6

We cannot tolerate illegal videos on Pacers Digest. This means do not share any links to them, do not mention any websites that host them or link to them, do not describe how to find them in any way, and do not ask about them. Posts doing anything of the sort will be removed, the offenders will be contacted privately, and if the problem becomes habitual, you will be suspended, and if it still persists, you will probably be banned.

The legal means of watching or listening to NBA games are NBA League Pass Broadband (for US, or for International; both cost money) and NBA Audio League Pass (which is free). Look for them on NBA.com.

Rule #7

Provocative statements in a signature, or as an avatar, or as the 'tagline' beneath a poster's username (where it says 'Member' or 'Administrator' by default, if it is not altered) are an unwanted distraction that will more than likely be removed on sight. There can be shades of gray to this, but in general this could be something political or religious that is likely going to provoke or upset people, or otherwise something that is mean-spirited at the expense of a poster, a group of people, or a population.

It may or may not go without saying, but this goes for threads and posts as well, particularly when it's not made on the off-topic board (Market Square).

We do make exceptions if we feel the content is both innocuous and unlikely to cause social problems on the forum (such as wishing someone a Merry Christmas or a Happy Easter), and we also also make exceptions if such topics come up with regards to a sports figure (such as the Lance Stephenson situation bringing up discussions of domestic abuse and the law, or when Jason Collins came out as gay and how that lead to some discussion about gay rights).

However, once the discussion seems to be more/mostly about the political issues instead of the sports figure or his specific situation, the thread is usually closed.

Rule #8

We prefer self-restraint and/or modesty when making jokes or off topic comments in a sports discussion thread. They can be fun, but sometimes they derail or distract from a topic, and we don't want to see that happen. If we feel it is a problem, we will either delete or move those posts from the thread.

Rule #9

Generally speaking, we try to be a "PG-13" rated board, and we don't want to see sexual content or similarly suggestive content. Vulgarity is a more muddled issue, though again we prefer things to lean more towards "PG-13" than "R". If we feel things have gone too far, we will step in.

Rule #10

We like small signatures, not big signatures. The bigger the signature, the more likely it is an annoying or distracting signature.

Rule #11

Do not advertise anything without talking about it with the administrators first. This includes advertising with your signature, with your avatar, through private messaging, and/or by making a thread or post.
See more
See less

Pacers pre-draft press conference was earlier today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pacers pre-draft press conference was earlier today

The player Bird most likely will be targeting will be a high basketball IQ, low knuckleheadedness (new word alert) college player with at least 3 years of experience.

I hope its Redick.

JJ & Peja on the wings & JO down low..... sweet

Comment

Where I disagree with c.c.s.f is in that Drazen was Reggie's equal. Sure they put up similar numbers, but guys like Mitch Richmond and Glen Rice were also putting up even better numbers. Where Reggie seperated himself from those guys was in the playoffs, where superstars are made. Drazen never proved he could lead a team anywhere in the playoffs, so outside of in Europe, he's most remembered for his tragic death than his actual game.

I don't think J.J. will be as good as Drazen, and certainly not a future HOF like Reggie, but I do think he'll be a good NBA starter, capable of scoring 15-20 a game on great shooting percentages.

Comment

Originally posted by Jose Slaughter
        The player Bird most likely will be targeting will be a high basketball IQ, low knuckleheadedness (new word alert) college player with at least 3 years of experience.

I hope its Redick.

JJ & Peja on the wings & JO down low..... sweet
        If thats true and Bird believes it then JJ is a no go. DUI.

Comment

Re: Pacers pre-draft press conference today at 11:15

Originally posted by Leisure Suit Larry
          You said Reggie was Drazen's equal. You were putting them on the same level. It's too early to say anyone could score 23 a game for 10 years. JJ has just as good a chance as anyone.
          I said Reggie was Drazen's equal, however I was not putting JJ in that catagory. I wasn't thinking about him while I typed that. I'm just fascinated to know why people think this kid is going to be THAT good. I didn't see anything extra special about him at all. I don't want him as a Pacer, if he comes here I'll have no problem cheering for him. I'm just not expecting much.

Comment

Reggie > Drazen >> JJ
            STARBURY

08 and Beyond

Comment

How can people not be high on Reddick, yet everyone MYSELF included were so high on Sarunas when he came here. I'm pretty sure Reddick will be the player we all hoped Sarunas would be (minus the passing skills).

Having TWO guys like Peja and Reddick who are perimeter threats would work wonders for Jermaine. If we are supposively building around Jermaine, you all better count on us drafting Reddick if he's available.

You all are in denial, Bird likes shooters.
              *removed* Just keep politics and religion completely out of it, please.

Comment

I like seeing the n00bies duke it out. Good fun.

Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
                Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
                Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
                Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
                And life itself, rushing over me
                Life itself, the wind in black elms,
                Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Comment

I don't think Redick will be a Hall-of-Famer, or an all-star, but I do expect him to have a 10+ year career with tons of clutch shots and generally performing at a Jeff Hornacek/Danny Ainge level.

That would be a steal with the #17 pick.
                  The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!).

Comment

Originally posted by pacertom
                    I don't think Redick will be a Hall-of-Famer, or an all-star, but I do expect him to have a 10+ year career with tons of clutch shots and generally performing at a Jeff Hornacek/Danny Ainge level.

That would be a steal with the #17 pick.
                    I don't think that there will be a single all-star in this draft, so a solid contributor with a really good shot would be great at the #17.
                    Slug 'em Sabres!!!!!
                    http://youtube.com/watch?v=cj1SUF4wzu0

Comment

Originally posted by FrenchConnection
                      I don't think that there will be a single all-star in this draft, so a solid contributor with a really good shot would be great at the #17.
                      OH I don't know about that - I think Shelden Williams and Aldridge will be pretty good players...
                      "Sometimes, when you look Andy in the eyes, you get a feeling somebody else is driving." -- David Letterman

Comment

Originally posted by Kaufman
                        OH I don't know about that - I think Shelden Williams and Aldridge will be pretty good players...
                        Marco Killingsworth shut down Shelden Williams

Comment

To quote William Goldman, "Nobody in this town knows nothing."

Comment

Originally posted by Kaufman
                            I didn't say that they would not be good, I just said that they would not be all-stars. I do think that Sheldon Williams will be a good player in the league, but in a good draft he would be mid first round pick tops. He does have the potential to be a DPOY, but he is a bit of a stiff, especailly on the offensive end. I don't think that he will adjust well to not being one of the bigger players on the floor. Aldridge will be exposed as being a bit soft. If the Raps pick him, they will have two bigs that do not want to get dirty or pushed. That's bad. If you have a Jermaine O'Neal type, you need someone like Foster who is willing to take a shot in the ribs to get a rebound.

Don't get me wrong, I really like both of these players, but I think that if they came out next year they would be mid first round picks. What happens is that we compare the draft prospects against each other and when they are weak as a group, their potential gets inflated.
                            Slug 'em Sabres!!!!!
                            http://youtube.com/watch?v=cj1SUF4wzu0

Comment

Here's the transcript...Unclebuck did a good job in covering most all of it.
                              http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/bird_...pt_060623.html

Bird Discusses Draft With Media

On Friday, June 23, Larry Bird met with members of the local media to discuss the Pacers' plans for next Wednesday's NBA Draft. What follows is a transcript of that question-and-answer session in Conseco Fieldhouse.

Q. How would you characterize this year's draft?

A. I don't know if there's really a clear-cut number-one pick. There's a lot of good players up there, obviously. I think the draft's pretty deep. There's a lot of players taken in the second round that's going to make our league. I think there's a few of them. There's a lot of talent. There really is.

Q. How is this draft different without the presence of high school players?

A. I don't know. To me, it's better that they're not in there. I don't know how much it changes it. There's a lot of talent in this draft without the high school kids.

Q. Is there a specific position you're looking for at No. 17?

A. Not really. It's just according to who falls to us, really. It could be a big guy, we need help in the backcourt, we need help in the frontcourt. We'll just see how it develops. We sort of know the group of guys that are coming to us, unless somebody falls and we like them better. It'll be up to us to take the best player available.

Q. With the uncertainty of (potential free agent) Fred (Jones) at shooting guard, is that a concern in case you lose him and Stephen (Jackson) is the only thing left at (shooting guard)?

A. It's a concern but we want to re-sign Freddie. We want to re-sign all the guys. We'll see how the draft goes. We'll take the best player available whether it's a two-guard, a point guard or a big man – whatever we think is best.

Q. When we talked last, you mentioned there was a guy you had your eye on that you were hoping would be available. Do you still have the same mindset about a particular player?

A. Yes.

Q. Are you very confident … ?

A. … That he'll be there? I don't know. We're at 17. Right now, we're not thinking about moving up. There's a lot of conversations going on right now. I'll be happy if my man falls to us. I know he's a very talented young man. He could get taken up there pretty high, or he could be at 17.

Q. Have you noticed less or more willingness among teams talking about trading up or down?

A. There's a lot of people talking about trading up and there's a lot of people talking about moving back, especially the top picks. Some of them think they can get their guy going from two to eight. Some guys (around) eight want to move up to the top to get the player they like.

Q. Are you looking for someone that can help now or someone to develop?

A. We always like to get help. These young kids coming in, it's going to take time. Last year I thought it was going to take Danny (Granger) till the All-Star break to be able to help us. Hopefully, this year we can get a player that can help us around the All-Star break, start playing more minutes and being a factor.

Q. Who is this guy you like so much? What are his initials?

A. He's a basketball player.

Q. Is Danny more of an anomaly, the way he fell so far? Is it the exception more than the rule when you can get a guy with that kind of talent?

A. I can remember being in the draft with Paul Pierce. I thought he was going to be taken No. 2 and he fell to 10 or 11, I think it was. Usually, if you go into a draft and you need a position, a lot of teams will draft that position instead of really taking probably the best player available. It's not a situation we want to be in. For guys to fall, like Danny, he had the knee thing and everybody was a little scared. But hopefully this year we'll get another one. Where we're at, we'd like to be a little higher to be guaranteed to get who we wanted. But we'll wait and see and hopefully we'll get who we like.

Q. Are you comfortable with 17 or do you have a target you'd like to try to move up to? Or to move back?

A. Well, 17 is in the middle. I would always like to be a little further up, no question.

Q. You've talked about the need for changes with the team this summer. Do you see the draft as a mechanism for doing that? Is there much conversation about packaging things?

A. Throughout the league there's a lot of talk about taking a player and your pick and moving up. We're not at that stage yet. But we'll look at everything, see what's best for our team and try to do it.

Q. Is it safe to assume the Toronto rumor (involving Jermaine O'Neal and the No. 1 pick in a widely reported package deal) is hogwash?

A. Yes. Rumors are rumors but when you take your best player and they've got him out there, it's not something we like. But it is what it is.

Q. How much of a factor will a player's personality or fit with the team be a factor, based on the things that have happened the last couple of years?

A. You always try to get quality guys through the draft. I think we did that the last two years. We want to get a good player and hopefully the kid will come in here and do the things that's necessary to get better and our fans will like him. That's the most important thing.

Q. You have drafted experience, with players with at least three years in college the last three drafts. Is that a trend you'd like to maintain or are you willing to make an exception for the right player?

A. You'll make the exception but you always like to get kids that's been in college for awhile and have got a little maturity on them. The last couple of years, that's what we've done and this year we'll probably do the same thing.

Q. Do you enjoy the draft process?

A. It's a long process. It starts in the wintertime. But I enjoy it. In this league, around this time, there's a lot of activity and it makes your days go faster.

Q. Is the draft the most important tool for building a team or in this era is free agency just as important?

A. I think it's a combination of both. I would just hate to blow up a team and build through the draft. That's tough to do.

Q. Where does Rick (Carlisle) fall right now? Is that something that happens after the draft, locking him in?

A. It'll happen after the draft. There's a lot going on right now and we've had some conversations with Rick. He's still under contract, so we'll just move forward.

Q. Would you like to get an extension done before this season?

A. We're going to be talking this summer and see what happens. I'm sure he would like his extension. We'll talk about it. It's not that we're not going to give it to him, it's that we have to sit down with our owners and see what direction we want to go.

Q. When you draft in the second round, is there an art to it? Do you go with the best player available or do you look and see how the guy fits into the team? How do you guys approach the second round?

A. There's some good players in the second round this year. With the 45th pick, hopefully, and I know I've got to talk with the scouts, but I've got a guy in my mind for the 45th pick, also. The second round's tougher than the first round. I know the group of guys that'll probably come to us unless somebody slides. When you get into the 40s, you're talking about a lot of players and a lot of guys you have to know a lot about.

Q. How much will the NBDL and having the opportunity to send a guy down and play instead of sitting on the bench affect things in the second round?

A. I don't know. I would love to support the league but I also want our players here and to be available for us. If you have to send him down for a couple of games, three or four games, to get him some experience, it's a great tool. It's something we haven't used but we probably will in the future.

Q. How much effort do the Pacers put into international scouting?

A. Not as much as we should because it's a big area but we cover it pretty well. We know the top players. (Andrea) Bargnani, I've seen him play last winter. (Thabo) Sefolosha, I've seen him play. I've seen a lot of the guys play but just seeing them for a couple of games is not like being over there and really getting a great feel for them. It's a big area and it's hard to cover.

Q. As you prioritize your needs, at least in terms of the draft, do you look for a position or a skill set?

A. Skill. I'd like to get somebody who can come in here and play right away. I don't necessarily like to let a guy sit there for two years, then get an opportunity. Hopefully we can get a player who can come in here and, over time, be able to step in and help us.

Q. Would you seriously look at taking a point guard, considering that you have three guys under contract right now?

A. If we felt he was the best player available, we probably would, or if we feel he's better than what we think we have.

Q. Is the group of international players this year typical? Or is it better or worse as a group?

A. Two or three of them are pretty good players. The way I see the draft, there's probably three or four guys from Europe that'll be in the first round. Next year there'll be a stronger European draft.

Q. You mentioned the depth that's out there. But is there a team-changing franchise player out there?

A. I don't know. If you look at the top picks, and you're talking about Adam Morrison, which I think is a very fine player, and Tyrus Thomas and Randy Foye and them guys, they're very good basketball players. You just have to see how they develop in the league.

Q. I was curious for your reaction to what's going on with the Knicks and Isiah (Thomas) getting back into coaching.

A. This is a draft meeting. I haven't really paid attention to what New York's doing. I did hear today that Isiah's taking over and I wish him all the luck in the world. It's a tough situation but I wish him well.

Q. Could you imagine that scenario, personally, going back from what you've been doing into coaching?

A. Me? No, I couldn't imagine that. That'd be tough.

Q. What are your thoughts on (Indianapolis native) Rodney Carney as a player and do you think there's a chance he might be available at 17?

A. He's a very good player, there's no question. He's a kid that needs to get out on the break and run. The way I look at it, he'd be great for Phoenix or Dallas because he's a wing player that runs. He can shoot it, attack the rim, he's got a vertical jump around 35 or 40 inches. The way we play, I don't know if he'd be a good fit here, but I do like him as a player. He's somebody that could be there and you have to take a look because he's athletic and very skilled.

Q. Do you see anybody on the local scene that has a shot?

A. (Indianapolis high school star and Ohio State recruit Greg) Oden. Obviously, Carney's from here and he's got a shot. When I look at a player, I don't say, 'He's from Indiana.' Carney's a good player, there's no question about it.

Q. What about Marco Killingsworth?

A. Killingsworth will probably be a second-round pick. He's undersized for his position but he's crafty, smart. I look for him to go in the second round.

Q. I know this is hypothetical but if Oden could be in this draft, would he be the No. 1 pick?

A. No question, based on talent and potential. He's had success everywhere he's been. There's no question he'd be the No. 1 pick.

Q. Where is (2005 second-round pick Erazem) Lorbek in terms of his development? How far away is he from being able to be here?

A. He's under contract for one more year and we'll follow him very closely this year. Then we'll sit down with him and make a decision on what he wants to do and what our plans are.

Q. Do you expect him to stay in Europe one more year?

A. Yes.

Q. The group of players that you think might be available to you, is it kind of like it was last year? Is it stronger group? Or is it even possible to make that comparison?

A. It's hard to tell because if somebody falls. … The way the draft is going now, and we're still a long way away, everybody's set on who they're going to take, it seems like. Now if somebody switches and takes somebody else's player it could change the whole draft. But the group of guys coming to us are good players, there's no question.

Q. Last year at this time, was Danny Granger even in your conversation?

A. No. We brought Danny in and worked him out and I can remember telling Donnie, 'We don't need to see him.' We brought some good players in, but he was just a lot better.

Q. There's a lot of discussion, at least among the Internet draft analyst types, that (Duke's J.J.) Redick's back injury has got him sliding? Is that reality? Is the he really sliding? How severe is the injury? Could he be sitting there when the Pacers pick?

A. There's a possibility he could be there. Going through all the back problems I had, it's something you've got to be aware of, there's no question.

Q. On your list of priorities, where does character fit in?

A. Pretty high. Talent is talent but you also like to draft guys, bring guys in here, that are going to get along, our fans are going to like, are out in our community doing things. It means a lot, no question about it, especially here in Indiana. This is a basketball state and they want their players to play hard, they want them out in the communities, they want them doing the right things. When we draft, we take all of that into consideration and try to get the best player we possibly can.

Q. I know you don't want to identify the guy you have your eye on but is this somebody you think is not generally well-known to everyone else?

A. No, he's well-known. You know him. There's not just one guy. But this particular player, I've followed him all year so I know him. I know the other ones, too, but I like this one.

Q. What do you like about him?

A. His ability. He's a good kid and he's going to be a good player.

Q. What does he do best on the court?

A. A little bit of everything.

Q. What's his phone number?

A. You're not going to hear it because I haven't told anybody. Donnie (Walsh) don't know, the scouts don't know. But what you do, you listen to your scouts, they'll give you their recommendations, we'll talk about it, then we'll go from there. They're involved, they're really involved. Once I start talking about who I like, at the end, if they're all disagreeing with me I'll probably forget about it and go with them.

Q. How many players do you think you'll have in for workouts before it's all over?

A. We've probably had 20, I would think. Orlando really helped us because a lot of the guys in the second round were there.

Q. This year seems to be a little unusual in that you see guys like an Alex Johnson (of Florida State) projected at 18 here but 45 there. Guys are kind of all over the board once you get past the first 14 or 15. Does that mean this is a draft where you just kind of see your fit, your guy, your projection?

A. Yes. Like I said, anywhere from 20 to 45, there's a lot of good players. Somebody might like Alexander Johnson better than Killingsworth and they're going to find out Marco might turn out to be a better player. I think they're a little up in the air because there's so many players that had great careers and have a chance to play in this league. Somebody's going to get a steal of the draft, probably in the second round.

Q. As you look back on second-round picks who have made it big, is there a theme? Is there some constant you can point to?

A. Not really. You would think you've done your homework but when you see (Gilbert) Arenas go in the second round, Josh Howard going, what, 29? I can remember when I wasn't even involved in the draft, Red Auerbach told me about Joe Johnson and he goes, 'How can he not be a good player? In college he did this and this against tough competition every night.' It was the same with Josh Howard. Against the ACC, he was a very good player, they just didn't know what position he played. I don't think it matters, anymore. If he's an undersized four, if he's a good player, you take him. If he's real good, you get guys around him. That's what Phoenix is doing, that's the way Dallas has done it. The game's changed.

Q. Do you like the fact, with Dallas in the Finals and Miami scoring a little bit more, the game is turning, the trend is turning back toward a freer game?

A. I like to push it. I don't want to get crazy with it. You have to be able to play both ways, halfcourt and run on every opportunity you get to try to get some easy baskets, get the ball down before the shot clock turns to 14. You've got to have 18, 19 seconds on the clock before you start running your plays. Obviously, as a basketball fan I like the European game because it's free-flowing and there's not a lot of timeouts and it's interesting. I can't say I love how Phoenix plays but it's enjoyable to watch.

Q. On draft night, how many are involved in the decision-making process?

A. There'll probably he seven guys.

Q. Is Rick (Carlisle) in there?

A. No. Rick is just now getting into it and he talks about the players and he's watching a lot of tape. The thing about coaches in this league, they don't have time to watch these guys play their games in college. It's like a refresher course for him coming in and we're throwing all this stuff at him. But actually being involved in the pick, no. Now, if he said he wanted a two-guard or a point guard, you might listen to that. But as far as having a say of who we're drafting, no, because he hasn't spent the time watching these guys like the scouts have.

Q. Would you say there's a particular position that's stronger than the others in this draft, or a particular type of player?

A. There's lot of good threes and a lot of good twos. The big men, other than (LaMarcus) Aldridge (of Texas) and a couple other guys … the threes and twos are probably stronger than anyone else.

Q. Is this a good year to have a really high pick? It seems like there's no Dwight Howard.

A. You always want a top pick but you don't want to have a bad year to get it. There's some guys that are going to go like No. 8, there's some people trying to move up into that area because they feel them players are going to be good players. I do, too. I think it's a can't-miss, the top eight. They're all going to be very good players.
                              Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
                              -- Albert Einstein

Comment

Re: Pacers pre-draft press conference today at 11:15

Originally posted by Leisure Suit Larry
                                By the way it is on the front page of http://www.wthr.com/
                                You can also find the press conference at CBS.Sportsline.com

Nothing too Earth shattering...Bird is still holding his desired draft pick close to the vest as always. Tons or prospects, but he gave little hint, if any, as to who he wants, but you can be pretty sure it will either be a Guard or a Forward. My guess is he'll try and get that Guard from Spain, Sergio Rodriguez.

I assumed mgmt would wait until after the draft before going to work on RC's contract extention. It stands to reason they'll wait until then before dealing with their FA's also. Makes perfect sense to me. Why pay out the $$$ when you may not have to? You just might luck out and find that raw talent in the draft or do a pre-draft trade and get the kind of talent you seek including better positioning yourself in the draft to add more talent. One never knows...

Anyway, nothing too spellbounding.

Comment

Working...
                                X