Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 92

Thread: Pacers pre-draft press conference was earlier today

  1. #1
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,718

    Default Pacers pre-draft press conference was earlier today

    So says NBATV.

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Evansville, IN
    Posts
    1,078

    Default Re: Pacers pre-draft press conference today at 11:15

    ??????

    do they usually hold a pre-draft conference UB?

  3. #3
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,718

    Default Re: Pacers pre-draft press conference today at 11:15

    It is on NBATV right now.

    They are talking about the draft

    We're going to take the best player available.

    We have our eyes on someone we hope is there. "I'll be happy if my man is still there"

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Evansville, IN
    Posts
    1,078

    Default Re: Pacers pre-draft press conference today at 11:15

    interesting. is this DW or LB saying this?

  5. #5
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,718

    Default Re: Pacers pre-draft press conference today at 11:15

    Mr. Larry Bird

    Bird was asked if the Toronto thing was all false. Bird said YES.

    Always try to get quality guys in the draft, but we want to get a good player, and hopefully our fans will like him, that's the most important thing.


    Question: where is the whole Rick thing. A: we'll do that after the draft. Rick would like an extension, but we'll sit down with our owners and see which way we want to go. Rick is under contract.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Pacers pre-draft press conference today at 11:15

    Best player at ANY position is the best strategy.

    Miami fans and coaches were bummed out when Bosh was off the board and they had to draft Dwayne Wade even though they had a glut at the 2/3 with Eddie Jones, Caron Butler, and Lamar Odom.

    Excess talent can prove useful.

    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

  7. #7
    All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Bilthoven, The Netherlands
    Age
    38
    Posts
    8,973

    Default Re: Pacers pre-draft press conference today at 11:15

    Ok, so no new information, offcourse. More likely an extra instrument in confusing potential other suitors for the player(s) we want to draft.

    Regards,

    Mourning
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

    2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

    2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

  8. #8
    Member Doug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,621

    Default Re: Pacers pre-draft press conference today at 11:15

    I know the "best player available" strategy seems sound.

    But I really hope we don't take a foward. Between JO at the 4 and Peja/Granger at the 3 we're pretty well covered.

    Gimme a guard. In fact, "best guard available" works for me. Of course, even if that's what they're planning, they wouldn't come out and say it. Always saying "best player available" makes sure all the other teams keep guessing.
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

    - Jimmy Buffett

  9. #9
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,718

    Default Re: Pacers pre-draft press conference today at 11:15

    Killingsworth will be a second round pick.

    Odon would be the number one pick

    Possibility that Redick could be there.

  10. #10
    Member Frank Slade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    State of Chaos
    Age
    35
    Posts
    6,019

    Default Re: Pacers pre-draft press conference today at 11:15

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

    Question: where is the whole Rick thing. A: we'll do that after the draft. Rick would like an extension, but we'll sit down with our owners and see which way we want to go. Rick is under contract.
    Similar standard answser that Bird has given earlier I believe in regards to Carlisle.

    Sounds to me like they are still in the wait and see approach with Rick ?

    Perhaps seeing what deals can de done or players aquired, and then that may have a good deal to do with how they handle Carlisle's situation.

    Why Not Us ?


  11. #11
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,718

    Default Re: Pacers pre-draft press conference today at 11:15

    The guy that Bird wants is well known. He's followed him all year.

    Position doesn't matter anymore, when drafting. .

    The game has changed, that is the way the Suns and Mavs have done it.

    I can't say I like how the Suns play, but they are enjoyable to watch

  12. #12
    Hall of Famers FrenchConnection's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Age
    40
    Posts
    1,662
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pacers pre-draft press conference today at 11:15

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The guy that Bird wants is well known. He's followed him all year
    Who?

  13. #13
    You are my Lucifer D-BONE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Nirvana
    Posts
    6,828

    Default Re: Pacers pre-draft press conference today at 11:15

    Could be. They've been pushing back the RC thing/meeting or whatever forever haven't they? I left for nearly all of May and I was under the impression the RC thing would likely be resolved upon my return. Am I confused on this?

  14. #14
    Member Frank Slade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    State of Chaos
    Age
    35
    Posts
    6,019

    Default Re: Pacers pre-draft press conference today at 11:15

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The guy that Bird wants is well known. He's followed him all year
    Hmm well rule out the Euro players , unless it's Bargnani, but I would not consider him very well known.

    Morrison ? Reddick ?

    Why Not Us ?


  15. #15
    You are my Lucifer D-BONE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Nirvana
    Posts
    6,828

    Default Re: Pacers pre-draft press conference today at 11:15

    Rondo??

  16. #16
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,718

    Default Re: Pacers pre-draft press conference today at 11:15

    Top 8 is a can't miss.


    That is all folks


    My guess is WTHR.com will have it later.

    Lasted about 20 minutes.

  17. #17
    You are my Lucifer D-BONE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Nirvana
    Posts
    6,828

    Default Re: Pacers pre-draft press conference today at 11:15

    Well known? What exactly does that mean? I mean they're all well known if he's talking about the other teams and the scouting departments, right?

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Evansville, IN
    Posts
    1,078

    Default Re: Pacers pre-draft press conference today at 11:15

    i'm thinkin rondo or reddick.

  19. #19
    Member Doug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,621

    Default Re: Pacers pre-draft press conference today at 11:15

    I can't see us taking Reddick given the public statements about the need for quickness at the guard position.
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

    - Jimmy Buffett

  20. #20
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,718

    Default Re: Pacers pre-draft press conference today at 11:15

    Quote Originally Posted by Doug
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I can't see us taking Reddick given the public statements about the need for quickness at the guard position.


    Bird was asked about him and his back injury, and Bird said something like he knows all about back injuries, refering to himself.

    The whole "well known" thing came up because Mark Montieth asked him if the player Bird was wanting was a well known player, and Bird said yes he's well known, or something to that effect.

  21. #21
    Leisure Suit Larry
    Guest

    Default Re: Pacers pre-draft press conference today at 11:15

    God I hope we get JJ

  22. #22
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,718

    Default Re: Pacers pre-draft press conference today at 11:15

    Quote Originally Posted by Leisure Suit Larry
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    God I hope we get JJ

    Anyone but him

  23. #23

    Default Re: Pacers pre-draft press conference today at 11:15

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I can't say I like how the Suns play, but they are enjoyable to watch
    Would you like it if a team played like the Suns on offense, but also played good fundamental defense?

    Well... of course you would because that team would win a title, but it would be fun to watch even before that happened.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

  24. #24
    Call me Kauffie Kaufman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    New Haven, Connecticut
    Posts
    3,453

    Default Re: Pacers pre-draft press conference was earlier today

    Sometimes I wonder why press conferences like the one today occur. They are usually a different spin of the same general point...

    From my collegiate perspective, when we hold a press conference sometimes it is to gauge public interest. I don't know what else to make of the conference we had today. Any thoughts? Of course I didn't see it but from what UB is saying I don't know what new we learned?

    I could say that the few players that I know the Pacers have interest in are pretty well known commodities but then most of the time, first round non-european players are pretty well known in general.

    Who was representing the Pacers at the conference besides Bird?

    When I said that I was certain about the Pacers looking to move up - I just wanted to clarify that I don't think what I know about was or wasn't the 1st pick. My thoughts were that it'd be a jump of about 5-10 spots but that was an assumption.
    "Sometimes, when you look Andy in the eyes, you get a feeling somebody else is driving." -- David Letterman

  25. #25
    Wasting Light Hicks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583
    Mood

    Default Re: Pacers pre-draft press conference was earlier today

    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Bird
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hopefully it's someone that fans will like, that's the most important thing
    I wonder if this is the reason we keep seeing him interested in white guys who can shoot, rather than the popular theory...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •