Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mark Cuban speaks: June 22, 2006

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Mark Cuban speaks: June 22, 2006

http://www.blogmaverick.com/

I know you are, but what am I

I think I have been called more names by more people in the last week than even I thought possible. The beauty is in the irony of it all.

In the first year I owned the team, I was called the same names and media wrote the exact same things they are writing today. Everyone then, like now, wanted to tell me what to do. How to do my job.

Back then it was how the Mavs could never be turned around with someone like me owning the team. Then it was the Mavs could never win with someone like me owning the team. Then it was, The Mavs could never be real contenders, etc, etc, etc. You get the picture, and the irony of it all.

My response ?

No suprises. I dont expect anyone to say anything differently.

To me, the proof is always in the details. No matter what business Im in, most people work in headlines mode. They think that if they say or write something that makes a good headline , then there must be substance to their point. That’s not the way business works. Which is why most people never get further than the middle.

Substance comes from detail. Luck comes from detail. Winning comes from being willing to do the work on the details. Learning comes from investing in details.

In the sports media world this past week, the most work I have seen someone do is Chris Sheridan going through 20 minutes or so of tapes looking to see what words I mouthed to fans in the stands after a game. Beyond that, it was all about deadlines, not substance. Thats fine. It is what it is.

No one does the work. They do “their jobs”. Nothing more. Which is why , despite all “he is the best, he is the worst” commentary from people, none of it matters in the least bit.

The easiest thing in the world for anyone to do is Tivo a game and then break it down. What any of the 13 participants on the court did and how they did it is pretty easy to document for 99.9 pct of the time on the clock. The other .01 can be grey. It doesnt really matter. Aggregate data from a lot of games over a lot of seasons, and all of the sudden you have a database with value.

Once you have information, then you can add brainpower and try to do things better.

Once you have information, then you can start to define excellence and strive for it, measuring your progress along the way.

This certainly isnt a new concept. There are untold number of QC , Process Improvement and Optimization techniques out there. Pick one, pick them all.

Excellence is defined is excellence demanded. Its not always easy to fulfill, but there is one constant in my approach to the Mavs that hasnt changed since the minute I walked in the door in January of 2000. That my job was to put every single one of our players, and the organization in a position to succeed. That I would work hard, continuously, to get better at doing so, and I think I have. I think we have become a much smarter organization. We have learned from what we have done right, and what we have done wrong.

Its also why I get so angry when it comes to certain aspects of the NBA and how they do business. I think there is more politics that optimization. Thats my opinion from the data. And Im not talking about officiating.

One of my favorite books is The Innovators Dilemma. It basically talks about how new technology can destabilize companies and industries if their impact isnt acknowledged and addressed early on.

The NBA is at an interesting crossroads. There are unique situations today that can enable it to lever up and thrive and push its media customers to new heights, or that could destabilize it.

Its all in the data. And I wish I could tell you about it. But i would get fined for it.

And for the record, I have nothing to say about the finals. That was last season.
    For the record, Im not turning on comments, they have devolved to the point where they add no value.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Mark Cuban speaks: June 22, 2006

Quote Originally Posted by my 2nd favorite owner, Cubes
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Its all in the data. And I wish I could tell you about it. But i would get fined for it.
    That'll be another 100 thousand
    STARBURY

08 and Beyond

I must say, I'm sick and tired of Cuban. yes I know he's a great owner, but I'm just sick and tired of him and his act. Enough.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    I must say, I'm sick and tired of Cuban. yes I know he's a great owner, but I'm just sick and tired of him and his act. Enough.
    He comes across in that blog entry as very arrogant. Not a very appealing guy at all.

I don't think Cuban gets that it isn't if he can run a franchise or what he thinks that makes him an ***. It is the way he conducts himself that makes him an ***.
    "They could turn out to be only innocent mathematicians, I suppose," muttered Woevre's section officer, de Decker.

"'Only.'" Woevre was amused. "Someday you'll explain to me how that's possible. Seeing that, on the face of it, all mathematics leads, doesn't it, sooner or later, to some kind of human suffering."

His inane ranting and raving about the league is only going to make the relationship between the owners and the Sternmeister even more sour.

He is accomplishing nothing here except making himself look a fool.

I've never liked the guy. Way to much "look at me" for my taste.

I know a lot of people like him & people like him as an owner but for my taste I prefer the Simons & others like them.

I really enjoyed that. I've always thought he was a fun guy, and that it would be great to play for him as an owner. He's not an idiot when he speaks out, like some people.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Add Witlock to the list of people who think Cuban is distasteful, to say the least.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...t&lid=tab2pos2

'Cuban Whistle Crisis'
    By Jason Whitlock
    Special to Page 2

Mark Cuban reminds me of Ron Artest.

You fall in love with his passion, energy and versatility, but you realize his mental instability very well could wreck your entire organization.

As commissioner David Stern contemplates how to deal with the "Cuban Whistle Crisis," a predicament that could totally undermine the public perception progress the NBA enjoyed this season, the commish would be wise to consult his Artest playbook.

Cuban, the billionaire owner of the Dallas Whinericks, won't be fined into sanity. *****ing about officiating and paying a couple of million dollars a year for that right is nothing more than a simple, tax-deductible business expense for the league's best blogger.

Nope. It's going to take a prolonged, arena-banning suspension to end the "Cuban Whistle Crisis," a nickname coined by Washington Post columnist Mike Wise.

Stern should begin with a symbolic 13-day suspension of Cuban to start the 2006-07 season, then go with a season-long ban if Cuban acts up again.

Cuban's behavior and the conduct of Dallas coach Avery Johnson and superstar Dirk Nowitzki during the just-completed NBA Finals warrant far more drastic action than the $250,000 fine Stern leveled on Cuban before Game 6.

Not only did the "Cuban Whistle Crisis" overshadow the unveiling of Dwyane Wade as the league's most embraceable megastar since Jordan, but its fallout foreshadows a potential Artest-like eruption in the stands. Maybe you missed the American Airlines Center public-address announcer admonishing Mavericks fans not to throw objects on the court. Maybe you turned off your TV before witnessing Mavericks fans drown out with boos Stern's championship trophy presentation to the Heat. Cuban, Johnson, Nowitzki and the co-signing Dallas media turned Game 6 into a Rodney King-verdict powder keg. Mavs fans were convinced they had irrefutable video evidence of officiating crimes of the highest order. The paranoia of Dallas' out-of-control owner caused the normally classy and high-road-driving Johnson to lose his composure and melt into a world-class crybaby. Johnson's crying gave Nowitzki the out he needed to avoid eye contact with a mirror and instead kick chairs and exercise bikes rather than fourth-quarter ***.

You think Cuban's antics haven't planted the seeds of discontent that could blossom into a nutty Mavs fan going after a referee or sparking an in-arena melee?

Artest didn't hop into the stands without warning. When you heard that an NBA player ran into the stands and set off a riot, you were not surprised at all when you learned it was Ron Artest. You never suspected Tim Duncan, Steve Nash, Shaq, Reggie Miller, Rip Hamilton or Kevin Garnett. The list of candidates was very short, and Artest was always the No. 1 suspect.

If an NBA ref gets attacked on the court or hit with an object, you won't be surprised when the story has a Dallas dateline. Cuban has created the environment. His complaints about officiating have some merit. There's a kernel of truth in every extremist's argument. A planted bloody glove might win an acquittal, but it doesn't clear a conscience. The fact that NBA refs are inconsistent doesn't justify the "Cuban Whistle Crisis." Stern isn't out to get Cuban. Stern is nowhere near that small or stupid. Cuban, the Mavericks and Nowitzki are three of the best things to happen to Stern's league in the past five years.

It would've been far better for the league had Nowitzki -- one of Stern's white, foreign imports -- won the title and shown the kind of heart and determination Wade displayed. Stern didn't want Nowitzki to choke at the free-throw line, dish to Erick Dampier in the clutch and refuse to drive anywhere near Shaq and the lane in the final minutes. Had Nowitzki gone to the hole as relentlessly as Wade, he would've received the same bogus calls as Wade. Refs can't help rewarding superstars for being aggressive. Beyond the "Cuban Whistle Crisis," Stern must crack down on Cuban because he's sabotaging the message about professionalism the league has been preaching to its players. You think Allen Iverson isn't sitting at home taking notes on Cuban thugged-out in his Mavs jersey sitting behind the bench and acting a fool? Cuban is as big an NBA star as all but a handful of players. He represents the league. But he can dress how he wants, drop F-bombs on refs, taunt fans, charge onto the court and question the integrity of the league pretty much without fear of significant reprisal. Meanwhile, Iverson needs to wear a sport coat on the bench and report to work on time on fan appreciation night. If you had to guess, what do you think Allen and his homies have to say about this bit of hypocrisy? Just take a guess. It's time for Stern to censure Cuban and back it with a suspension -- a ban from arenas. A ban during the Finals would've been a mistake. Cuban would've been viewed as a martyr.

Now Stern can call Cuban and Johnson into the commissioner's office and explain in detail why the NBA can't tolerate Dallas' continued whining. It's unhealthy for the league. If not stopped, the "Cuban Whistle Crisis" will escalate and turn into a Crimson Tide.

Jason Whitlock is a regular columnist for The Kansas City Star. He can be reached by e-mail at ballstate68@aol.com. Sound off to Page 2 here.

He is from Indiana and went to school in Bloomington during the Knight era, he has a passion for basketball. He measures success by a championship. He measures success as a businessman by his stock portfolio. The league would be better, much better if Cuban were running the show instead of a team.
    "He wanted to get to that money time. Time when the hardware was on the table. That's when Roger was going to show up. So all we needed to do was stay close"
    Darnell Hillman (Speaking of former teammate Roger Brown)

Steve McQueen

He's from Pittsburgh

Still love the guy.

The league would be boring without him.

That's not to say I'd want him as the owner of the Pacers, though -- Ron gave us enough negative attention to last the franchise a lifetime.
    "I'll always be a part of Donnie Walsh."
    -Ron Artest, Denver Post, 12.28.05

Not exactly sure If I would want him owning the Pacers, but I love him as a person.

He's the Anti-Stern.

Cuban is not afraid to spend the money when needed, and undertands it's a business but does not forget the Fans are what drives it.

His antics and perceived arrogance I am sure turns off some, but you cannot deny his passion and will to win, not just turn a profit.

It's comical how many people where singing his praises just a week ago..

Why Not Us ?

Quote Originally Posted by Cuban
    What any of the 13 participants on the court did and how they did it is pretty easy to document for 99.9 pct of the time on the clock. The other .01 can be grey.
    Wouldn't it be the other .1 can be grey?

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Slade
    Not exactly sure If I would want him owning the Pacers, but I love him as a person.

He's the Anti-Stern.

Cuban is not afraid to spend the money when needed, and undertands it's a business but does not forget the Fans are what drives it.

His antics and perceived arrogance I am sure turns off some, but you cannot deny his passion and will to win, not just turn a profit.

It's comical how many people where singing his praises just a week ago..
    I agree.

I love him to death, although at times he doesnt know when to keep his mouth shut.

If I owned a team I would hope I would be a mixture of both him and the Simons, although I would most. def want to be my own GM.

Plax80

Quote Originally Posted by Arcadian
    I don't think Cuban gets that it isn't if he can run a franchise or what he thinks that makes him an ***. It is the way he conducts himself that makes him an ***.
    Maybe. But what in the $#$# does that make David Stern??

I like it when I know where a guy stands. When a guy pours his heart out for the world to see. When a guy is as truthful and honest as a day is long.

Name one endearing quality that David Stern possesses. How does he keep his job is my question.

Whatever Stern is does not excuse Cuban's behavior. I like passion but passion is not the same as childishness.
    "They could turn out to be only innocent mathematicians, I suppose," muttered Woevre's section officer, de Decker.

"'Only.'" Woevre was amused. "Someday you'll explain to me how that's possible. Seeing that, on the face of it, all mathematics leads, doesn't it, sooner or later, to some kind of human suffering."

Quote Originally Posted by Plax80
    day is long.

Name one endearing quality that David Stern possesses. How does he keep his job is my question.

...because the NBA has grown more under him than any league has grown under any commissioner in the history of sports?

Stern make the NBA a lot of money. He saw the big picture in the globalization of basketball back when nobody else did. He saw the financial benefits of marketing superstars. He turned something as boring as the NBA draft into an event.

You can hate him, but the fact is he's going to stay until he leaves on his own.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Mood

Cuban is about as real as they come, and that is refreshing. In a league full of people who will lie to their mothers (I understand, it's the biz), Cuban comes out and says exactly how he feels. His passion during the game - standing, screaming, cheering, even with the players - is something that I really like.

There are times when he should just sit down though. IMO, he should never be able to confront the refs like he does, just an example.

This is the thing though: as much attention as he brings to the league through all of it, some of it has to be negative attention. There's a difference between excitement and irresponsibility. The first sentence of Whitlock's article is the first (and hopefully last) time I've agreed with Tubby. He's a lot like Artest in that he draws people in, but after a while, it wears on you and gets old.

He'll cool it in a few years, I would think, and all involved will be better off for having him in the league.
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

@The_Real_CJake

Plax80

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat
    ...because the NBA has grown more under him than any league has grown under any commissioner in the history of sports?

Stern make the NBA a lot of money. He saw the big picture in the globalization of basketball back when nobody else did. He saw the financial benefits of marketing superstars. He turned something as boring as the NBA draft into an event.

You can hate him, but the fact is he's going to stay until he leaves on his own.
    Maybe that was true 15 years ago but I'd give Magic, Larry and MJ much more credit than Stern for that.

I do agree with your globilization comment though.

But I now think his massive ego has done more to hurt the league than any one other thing. Ratings continue to disappear, the NBA has now been passed by NASCAR , the PGA , college football and continued to lose ground to MLB and the NFL.

At a time when his global strategy should be having an opposite effect on the leagues popularity....we get a league that produces olympic bronze medals and a finals that produces refereegate and yawns.

Mood

Maybe that was true 15 years ago but I'd give Magic, Larry and MJ much more credit than Stern for that.

But I now think his massive ego has done more to hurt the league than any one other thing. Ratings continue to disappear, the NBA has now been passed by NASCAR , the PGA , college football and continued to lose ground to MLB and the NFL.
    At a time when his global strategy should be having an opposite effect on the leagues popularity....we get a league that produces olympic bronze medals and a finals that produces refereegate and yawns.
    At least there's still the NHL!
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

@The_Real_CJake

woman without a team

Name one endearing quality that David Stern possesses.
    He loves Susan Lucci. http://www.pacersdigest.com/forums/s...595#post150595

As for how he keeps his job:
    1. He's good at running the business. The NBA has grown since he took over. It's more popular. Heck, it's even global. You can say it didn't happen because of him, but it happened under his watch.

2. No one has the clout to get rid of him. Besides, who would take his place? Stu Jackson? I think not.

1. It's easy for you to bring up Magic Bird and Jordan but in hindsight, its what he DID to market those players that made the league boom. The NBA finals were still on TAPE DELAY going into magic and larry's 5th season, until stern took over and got them into prime-time, which is when the NBA started to take off. It didn't happen before then, because nobody could SEE how great larry and magic were, so it didnt matter.

The NHL had mega-stars then too, and didn't market them. Now look at it.

2. NASCAR has passed every american sport there is, including the NFL, if you use the raw numbers. College football has ALWAYS been more popular (no idea why you're comparing apples to oranges) and as for the PGA, I don't believe that's true at all.....

As for baseball, its future is in far worse shape than the NBA right now. The NBA isn't on even footing with them, but it isn't exactly losing ground, either....

3. The ratings for this year's NBA playoffs went through the roof and into out space. I have no idea where you got info on that from....

4. Globally, the NBA is infinately more popular than the NFL or MLB.... and the NBA has nothing to do with the national team other than to let them use its players.

David Stern is without a doubt the most successful commish in NBA history and is up there with Pete Rozelle as the greatest league heads in the history of sports. If the goal is to make a league grow and raise the profit margin, he's been a remarkable success.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008

Plax80

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat
    1. It's easy for you to bring up Magic Bird and Jordan but in hindsight, its what he DID to market those players that made the league boom. The NBA finals were still on TAPE DELAY going into magic and larry's 5th season, until stern took over and got them into prime-time, which is when the NBA started to take off. It didn't happen before then, because nobody could SEE how great larry and magic were, so it didnt matter.

The NHL had mega-stars then too, and didn't market them. Now look at it.

2. NASCAR has passed every american sport there is, including the NFL, if you use the raw numbers. College football has ALWAYS been more popular (no idea why you're comparing apples to oranges) and as for the PGA, I don't believe that's true at all.....

As for baseball, its future is in far worse shape than the NBA right now. The NBA isn't on even footing with them, but it isn't exactly losing ground, either....

3. The ratings for this year's NBA playoffs went through the roof and into out space. I have no idea where you got info on that from....

4. Globally, the NBA is infinately more popular than the NFL or MLB.... and the NBA has nothing to do with the national team other than to let them use its players.

David Stern is without a doubt the most successful commish in NBA history and is up there with Pete Rozelle as the greatest league heads in the history of sports. If the goal is to make a league grow and raise the profit margin, he's been a remarkable success.
    You are obviously somewhat intelligent and have an affinity for David Stern. Must be his agent.

I'll give you credit on your first point. I would say that Stern's ego hadn't run away from him at that point of his career and he was a very effective administrator those years.

Your second point isn't correct. There is a reason that the NBA has fell behind. The PGA kills the NBA on an average Sunday. And during one of the majors it easily beats even the Finals head to head especially considering the finals are in prime time and the golf is played on an afternoon. The NFL and college football continues to be exempt from these ratings declines even with stiffer competition form golf and racing. Baseball has had a myriad of problems andis starting to emerge from those and is again pulling away from the NBA.

Tiger, Phil, and even John Daly are all far more popular than any NBA player. Lebron may make some headway into that, and Wade seems liek a great kid as well, but its a major stretch to think that either will ever be on par with Tiger. Part of that comes formt the fact that America as a whole doesn't see that much separtaion between their games and the average NBA player. Is Wade really that much better than say......Rafer Alston......or have we simply been force fed that he is by Stern???

The third point is misleading as well. The ratings were good this year compared to the last couple of years. They are still 50% below where they were a dozen years ago. Your using historically low benchmarks to make your point.

As for profitability....the proof is in the pudding....or in this case franchise valuations. Wjile there are great success stories like Cuban in Dallas, the average NBA franchise has grown very little in value over the past decade. While a $200mm NFL franchise is now worth $600mm...the $180mm NBA team is now worth maybe $200mm. Baseball, NASCAR, the PGA, college football have all grown substantially while the NBA and nHL have been stagnant or in decline. Loo at our own Pacers. Yes we have a great new arena that has perked up the valuation and revenue stream of the franchise.......but you can't continue to grow simply based on getting a new place to play. Ticket revenue has probably topped out while players' contracts continue to escalate. Your only way to keep pace is through other misc. revenue like television and merchandising. TV revenues have been declining for sports with ratings numbers that the NBA produces most of the year. Can you honestly expect future contracts to continue to rise at the pace they have in the past based on these numbers??

Go ask Paul Allen in Portland, Colangelo in Phoenix, Smith in memphis, the Seattle group and countless others I'm sure. Some very, very, very wealthy and smart businessman are running from this game right now.

The global results are very much due to Stern IMO. I don't want to spend all summer harping on the refs and conspiracy theories but Stern's move toward a hip-hop, And 1 NBA has led to a decline in overall play.

This may not manifest itself during the NBA Finals that Stern controls, but in international play governed by someone other than Stern, the drive to the bucket, jump into someone, throw up a prayer, and shoot two free throws NBA game doesn't work. There are far fewer phantom fouls and teams are required to play the game the right way as Larry would say.

That means more tough losses to the powerful Angolians I'm afraid.
    Where is Hot Sauce when you need him??

You are obviously somewhat intelligent and have an affinity for David Stern. Must be his agent.
    No, I just don't have my head in the sand.

I'll give you credit on your first point. I would say that Stern's ego hadn't run away from him at that point of his career and he was a very effective administrator those years.
    I have no idea what you just said.

Your second point isn't correct. There is a reason that the NBA has fell behind. The PGA kills the NBA on an average Sunday. And during one of the majors it easily beats even the Finals head to head especially considering the finals are in prime time and the golf is played on an afternoon. The NFL and college football continues to be exempt from these ratings declines even with stiffer competition form golf and racing. Baseball has had a myriad of problems andis starting to emerge from those and is again pulling away from the NBA.
    AGain, you must not have looked at the ratings for the NBA playoffs....either that or you're simply choosing not to read when I say the ratings for the playoffs went through the roof...

Tiger, Phil, and even John Daly are all far more popular than any NBA player.

Lebron may make some headway into that, and Wade seems liek a great kid as well, but its a major stretch to think that either will ever be on par with Tiger.
    Really? A major stretch? Tiger's only 30 years old, and he's been around for 10+ years....let's not jump the gun on a 21+year old or anything.

Part of that comes formt the fact that America as a whole doesn't see that much separtaion between their games and the average NBA player. Is Wade really that much better than say......Rafer Alston......or have we simply been force fed that he is by Stern???

That is all.

The third point is misleading as well. The ratings were good this year compared to the last couple of years. They are still 50% below where they were a dozen years ago. Your using historically low benchmarks to make your point.
    Um, every sport's ratings is well down from 10 years ago. Its called the growth of the TV market.

The NBA's popularity is rising rapidly again. That cannot be argued, and that's all you need to look at.

As for profitability....the proof is in the pudding....or in this case franchise valuations. Wjile there are great success stories like Cuban in Dallas, the average NBA franchise has grown very little in value over the past decade. While a $200mm NFL franchise is now worth $600mm...the $180mm NBA team is now worth maybe $200mm. Baseball, NASCAR, the PGA, college football have all grown substantially while the NBA and nHL have been stagnant or in decline. Loo at our own Pacers. Yes we have a great new arena that has perked up the valuation and revenue stream of the franchise.......but you can't continue to grow simply based on getting a new place to play. Ticket revenue has probably topped out while players' contracts continue to escalate. Your only way to keep pace is through other misc. revenue like television and merchandising. TV revenues have been declining for sports with ratings numbers that the NBA produces most of the year. Can you honestly expect future contracts to continue to rise at the pace they have in the past based on these numbers??
    Um, contracts are DOWN from 10 years ago, and the owners are making more money compared to 10 years ago. What "pace" are they rising at, exactly?
    Go ask Paul Allen in Portland, Colangelo in Phoenix, Smith in memphis, the Seattle group and countless others I'm sure. Some very, very, very wealthy and smart businessman are running from this game right now.
    You can be wealthy in one buisness and stupid in another.

David Stern is not to blame for Paul Allen being a stupid owner.

The global results are very much due to Stern IMO. I don't want to spend all summer harping on the refs and conspiracy theories but Stern's move toward a hip-hop, And 1 NBA has led to a decline in overall play.

Yes, DAVID STERN is the reason the NBA is so hip-hop. Now I've heard everything....

THe NBA is hip-hop because they players themselves love hip-hop. It's called changing of the times.

This may not manifest itself during the NBA Finals that Stern controls
    bitter much?

but in international play governed by someone other than Stern, the drive to the bucket, jump into someone, throw up a prayer, and shoot two free throws NBA game doesn't work.
    No, in international play you just get allowed 5 steps to the basket (assuming you're white) and the 3-point line is moved in about 25 feet. But yeah, other than that, it's an honest game.

There are far fewer phantom fouls and teams are required to play the game the right way as Larry would say.
    News to me.... unless "the right way" means post play is more or less banned and you play with 4 guards....

That means more tough losses to the powerful Angolians I'm afraid.
    Where is Hot Sauce when you need him??
    When did we lose to Angola?