Announcement

Collapse

The Rules of Pacers Digest

Hello everyone,

Whether your are a long standing forum member or whether you have just registered today, it's a good idea to read and review the rules below so that you have a very good idea of what to expect when you come to Pacers Digest.

A quick note to new members: Your posts will not immediately show up when you make them. An administrator has to approve at least your first post before the forum software will later upgrade your account to the status of a fully-registered member. This usually happens within a couple of hours or so after your post(s) is/are approved, so you may need to be a little patient at first.

Why do we do this? So that it's more difficult for spammers (be they human or robot) to post, and so users who are banned cannot immediately re-register and start dousing people with verbal flames.

Below are the rules of Pacers Digest. After you have read them, you will have a very good sense of where we are coming from, what we expect, what we don't want to see, and how we react to things.

Rule #1

Pacers Digest is intended to be a place to discuss basketball without having to deal with the kinds of behaviors or attitudes that distract people from sticking with the discussion of the topics at hand. These unwanted distractions can come in many forms, and admittedly it can sometimes be tricky to pin down each and every kind that can rear its ugly head, but we feel that the following examples and explanations cover at least a good portion of that ground and should at least give people a pretty good idea of the kinds of things we actively discourage:

"Anyone who __________ is a liar / a fool / an idiot / a blind homer / has their head buried in the sand / a blind hater / doesn't know basketball / doesn't watch the games"

"People with intelligence will agree with me when I say that __________"

"Only stupid people think / believe / do ___________"

"I can't wait to hear something from PosterX when he/she sees that **insert a given incident or current event that will have probably upset or disappointed PosterX here**"

"He/she is just delusional"

"This thread is stupid / worthless / embarrassing"

"I'm going to take a moment to point and / laugh at PosterX / GroupOfPeopleY who thought / believed *insert though/belief here*"

"Remember when PosterX said OldCommentY that no longer looks good? "

In general, if a comment goes from purely on topic to something 'ad hominem' (personal jabs, personal shots, attacks, flames, however you want to call it, towards a person, or a group of people, or a given city/state/country of people), those are most likely going to be found intolerable.

We also dissuade passive aggressive behavior. This can be various things, but common examples include statements that are basically meant to imply someone is either stupid or otherwise incapable of holding a rational conversation. This can include (but is not limited to) laughing at someone's conclusions rather than offering an honest rebuttal, asking people what game they were watching, or another common problem is Poster X will say "that player isn't that bad" and then Poster Y will say something akin to "LOL you think that player is good". We're not going to tolerate those kinds of comments out of respect for the community at large and for the sake of trying to just have an honest conversation.

Now, does the above cover absolutely every single kind of distraction that is unwanted? Probably not, but you should by now have a good idea of the general types of things we will be discouraging. The above examples are meant to give you a good feel for / idea of what we're looking for. If something new or different than the above happens to come along and results in the same problem (that being, any other attitude or behavior that ultimately distracts from actually just discussing the topic at hand, or that is otherwise disrespectful to other posters), we can and we will take action to curb this as well, so please don't take this to mean that if you managed to technically avoid saying something exactly like one of the above examples that you are then somehow off the hook.

That all having been said, our goal is to do so in a generally kind and respectful way, and that doesn't mean the moment we see something we don't like that somebody is going to be suspended or banned, either. It just means that at the very least we will probably say something about it, quite possibly snipping out the distracting parts of the post in question while leaving alone the parts that are actually just discussing the topics, and in the event of a repeating or excessive problem, then we will start issuing infractions to try to further discourage further repeat problems, and if it just never seems to improve, then finally suspensions or bans will come into play. We would prefer it never went that far, and most of the time for most of our posters, it won't ever have to.

A slip up every once and a while is pretty normal, but, again, when it becomes repetitive or excessive, something will be done. Something occasional is probably going to be let go (within reason), but when it starts to become habitual or otherwise a pattern, odds are very good that we will step in.

There's always a small minority that like to push people's buttons and/or test their own boundaries with regards to the administrators, and in the case of someone acting like that, please be aware that this is not a court of law, but a private website run by people who are simply trying to do the right thing as they see it. If we feel that you are a special case that needs to be dealt with in an exceptional way because your behavior isn't explicitly mirroring one of our above examples of what we generally discourage, we can and we will take atypical action to prevent this from continuing if you are not cooperative with us.

Also please be aware that you will not be given a pass simply by claiming that you were 'only joking,' because quite honestly, when someone really is just joking, for one thing most people tend to pick up on the joke, including the person or group that is the target of the joke, and for another thing, in the event where an honest joke gets taken seriously and it upsets or angers someone, the person who is truly 'only joking' will quite commonly go out of his / her way to apologize and will try to mend fences. People who are dishonest about their statements being 'jokes' do not do so, and in turn that becomes a clear sign of what is really going on. It's nothing new.

In any case, quite frankly, the overall quality and health of the entire forum's community is more important than any one troublesome user will ever be, regardless of exactly how a problem is exhibiting itself, and if it comes down to us having to make a choice between you versus the greater health and happiness of the entire community, the community of this forum will win every time.

Lastly, there are also some posters, who are generally great contributors and do not otherwise cause any problems, who sometimes feel it's their place to provoke or to otherwise 'mess with' that small minority of people described in the last paragraph, and while we possibly might understand why you might feel you WANT to do something like that, the truth is we can't actually tolerate that kind of behavior from you any more than we can tolerate the behavior from them. So if we feel that you are trying to provoke those other posters into doing or saying something that will get themselves into trouble, then we will start to view you as a problem as well, because of the same reason as before: The overall health of the forum comes first, and trying to stir the pot with someone like that doesn't help, it just makes it worse. Some will simply disagree with this philosophy, but if so, then so be it because ultimately we have to do what we think is best so long as it's up to us.

If you see a problem that we haven't addressed, the best and most appropriate course for a forum member to take here is to look over to the left of the post in question. See underneath that poster's name, avatar, and other info, down where there's a little triangle with an exclamation point (!) in it? Click that. That allows you to report the post to the admins so we can definitely notice it and give it a look to see what we feel we should do about it. Beyond that, obviously it's human nature sometimes to want to speak up to the poster in question who has bothered you, but we would ask that you try to refrain from doing so because quite often what happens is two or more posters all start going back and forth about the original offending post, and suddenly the entire thread is off topic or otherwise derailed. So while the urge to police it yourself is understandable, it's best to just report it to us and let us handle it. Thank you!

All of the above is going to be subject to a case by case basis, but generally and broadly speaking, this should give everyone a pretty good idea of how things will typically / most often be handled.

Rule #2

If the actions of an administrator inspire you to make a comment, criticism, or express a concern about it, there is a wrong place and a couple of right places to do so.

The wrong place is to do so in the original thread in which the administrator took action. For example, if a post gets an infraction, or a post gets deleted, or a comment within a larger post gets clipped out, in a thread discussing Paul George, the wrong thing to do is to distract from the discussion of Paul George by adding your off topic thoughts on what the administrator did.

The right places to do so are:

A) Start a thread about the specific incident you want to talk about on the Feedback board. This way you are able to express yourself in an area that doesn't throw another thread off topic, and this way others can add their two cents as well if they wish, and additionally if there's something that needs to be said by the administrators, that is where they will respond to it.

B) Send a private message to the administrators, and they can respond to you that way.

If this is done the wrong way, those comments will be deleted, and if it's a repeating problem then it may also receive an infraction as well.

Rule #3

If a poster is bothering you, and an administrator has not or will not deal with that poster to the extent that you would prefer, you have a powerful tool at your disposal, one that has recently been upgraded and is now better than ever: The ability to ignore a user.

When you ignore a user, you will unfortunately still see some hints of their existence (nothing we can do about that), however, it does the following key things:

A) Any post they make will be completely invisible as you scroll through a thread.

B) The new addition to this feature: If someone QUOTES a user you are ignoring, you do not have to read who it was, or what that poster said, unless you go out of your way to click on a link to find out who it is and what they said.

To utilize this feature, from any page on Pacers Digest, scroll to the top of the page, look to the top right where it says 'Settings' and click that. From the settings page, look to the left side of the page where it says 'My Settings', and look down from there until you see 'Edit Ignore List' and click that. From here, it will say 'Add a Member to Your List...' Beneath that, click in the text box to the right of 'User Name', type in or copy & paste the username of the poster you are ignoring, and once their name is in the box, look over to the far right and click the 'Okay' button. All done!

Rule #4

Regarding infractions, currently they carry a value of one point each, and that point will expire in 31 days. If at any point a poster is carrying three points at the same time, that poster will be suspended until the oldest of the three points expires.

Rule #5

When you share or paste content or articles from another website, you must include the URL/link back to where you found it, who wrote it, and what website it's from. Said content will be removed if this doesn't happen.

An example:

If I copy and paste an article from the Indianapolis Star website, I would post something like this:

http://www.linktothearticlegoeshere.com/article
Title of the Article
Author's Name
Indianapolis Star

Rule #6

We cannot tolerate illegal videos on Pacers Digest. This means do not share any links to them, do not mention any websites that host them or link to them, do not describe how to find them in any way, and do not ask about them. Posts doing anything of the sort will be removed, the offenders will be contacted privately, and if the problem becomes habitual, you will be suspended, and if it still persists, you will probably be banned.

The legal means of watching or listening to NBA games are NBA League Pass Broadband (for US, or for International; both cost money) and NBA Audio League Pass (which is free). Look for them on NBA.com.

Rule #7

Provocative statements in a signature, or as an avatar, or as the 'tagline' beneath a poster's username (where it says 'Member' or 'Administrator' by default, if it is not altered) are an unwanted distraction that will more than likely be removed on sight. There can be shades of gray to this, but in general this could be something political or religious that is likely going to provoke or upset people, or otherwise something that is mean-spirited at the expense of a poster, a group of people, or a population.

It may or may not go without saying, but this goes for threads and posts as well, particularly when it's not made on the off-topic board (Market Square).

We do make exceptions if we feel the content is both innocuous and unlikely to cause social problems on the forum (such as wishing someone a Merry Christmas or a Happy Easter), and we also also make exceptions if such topics come up with regards to a sports figure (such as the Lance Stephenson situation bringing up discussions of domestic abuse and the law, or when Jason Collins came out as gay and how that lead to some discussion about gay rights).

However, once the discussion seems to be more/mostly about the political issues instead of the sports figure or his specific situation, the thread is usually closed.

Rule #8

We prefer self-restraint and/or modesty when making jokes or off topic comments in a sports discussion thread. They can be fun, but sometimes they derail or distract from a topic, and we don't want to see that happen. If we feel it is a problem, we will either delete or move those posts from the thread.

Rule #9

Generally speaking, we try to be a "PG-13" rated board, and we don't want to see sexual content or similarly suggestive content. Vulgarity is a more muddled issue, though again we prefer things to lean more towards "PG-13" than "R". If we feel things have gone too far, we will step in.

Rule #10

We like small signatures, not big signatures. The bigger the signature, the more likely it is an annoying or distracting signature.

Rule #11

Do not advertise anything without talking about it with the administrators first. This includes advertising with your signature, with your avatar, through private messaging, and/or by making a thread or post.
See more
See less

The Truth About Wade and His Free Throw Attempts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Truth About Wade and His Free Throw Attempts

Originally posted by Shade
    It's only "part of the game" because we allow it to be. There's a difference between getting the benefit of the doubt and missing calls that everyone else on the planet can see in real time from the stands or their television sets.
    I have seen a few missed calls, but to me they didnt do as bad as people try to make it out to be. Yeah, they missed some calls, buy so does every other ref in every other finals

Honestly, I'm utterly amazed at the number of people who are fine with just rolling over and ignoring something that's so obviously wrong. If nobody speaks out against it, it will never change.
    I havent seen one person who is "rolling over", unless they are rolling over *****ing Like I said, these refs missed some calls. It happens every year.

What amazes me is how people who are ignoring the fact that Mark Cuban (who I love but is obnoxious as hell) and the Mavs didnt get the breaks that the Heat did, and it wasnt just Wade. It was the whole heat team. As I saying that is was set up? no. But do I think its a coinsidense? not at all
    All I ask is for a fairly officiated sport. Is that REALLY too much to ask?
    Thats what we all want. But till we get robots that can ignore Cubans loud mouth and Dirk kicking the bike and kicking the ball into the stands, there will always be a human element.

Comment

Originally posted by vapacersfan
      You just made my point while allegedly making yours.

Look, we both agree he gets a lot of breaks, some of those being phanton or as "touch" fouls. As much as I dislike that, its part of the game. You tend to get those breaks when you are always drinking to the hole. Its something I wish the Pacers guards (and frankly the whole team) would have learned long ago. Granted in order for that to work, you would have to stop *****ing at the refs long enough for them to give you the benefit of the doubt.

First of all, welcome to PD.

Please, point out one time where I said you were into it. I quoted Shade for a reason, because I was responding to him.

I dont think the games are fixed at all, but I do think some refs let way ot much personal bias impact how they call the games. I just dont think a game could be fixed at this level and it not leak out, even just a little bit.

I saw that thread. And while I agree with your premise that David Stern shouldnt run anything other then the local circus, that point is ludacris. Comparing Alston to Wade is a joke...mockingly or not.

Im not even going to waste either of our time arguing against David wanting to hold skip back. If you really beleive that, then I am really, really sorry. BTW, if the league is fixed, (and by no means am I saying it is) my money would be on Stern not knowing anything of it, and someone like the VP or a high up, but not to high up being the one that runs it.

Well I watched all of the Finals, and while I am not a fan of either team I still enjoyed them. So I guess that takes one out of your "we" generalization......

Thanks for the welcome. Look forward to agreeing with you more often than not. I wasn't try9ing to pick an argument with you, just trying to say that not everyone who wasn't impressed with the Finals or wade or the Heat was being a sore loser or a hata.

As for Alston....well no I don;t think he's a great player either. I used him as a mock against the way the games are officiated differently for differnet players. I absolutely DO believe that he is a quicker and better ballhandler than Wade and I DO totally believe that if the ony requirement for getting 25 FTA/game is to be able to penetrate and create contact.........he would be one of the most skilled athletes in the world in that category.

And I absolutely DO believe that Stern has a hand in determining which players receive the "stars treatment" and which ones don't.

And for those who would throw Greg Maddux' name into this argument, I would say that BOTH are terribly wrong. Both hurt their sports tremendously, but Maddux getting an extra inch off the plate doesn't drastically effect the outcome of a game the way 10-12 phantom calls do. Its not only the 20 "extra" points that are created for the benefitting team, its the lost opportunity points at the other end as well. You can say that Wade getting 6 phantom calls/gm is worth between 15-20 points. Thats an enormous margin for the opponent to overcome analytically, w/o even factoring in the emotional drain it creates.

The people that say "score more points" haven't really thought it through enough IMO. The old saying against Jordan's Bulls was that you better be ahead by at least 20 going into the 4th in Chicago Stadium if you wanted to have a chance to win.

The beauty of sports is the real drama that is created every night. When that drama becomes scripted in any way, it immediately loses most of its appeal. And for me, that is a sin that ranks above Pete Rose's betting on baseball.

I refuse to see how any knowledgable NBA fan could argue that its integrity is constantly forsaken by obvious "star" traetment that certain players get.

25 FTA in ONE game is beyond ridiculous. FOR A GUARD.........this wasn't 1968 Wilt. Letting a guy go 1 on 4 with almost no possible chance of success get rewarded with 2 game winning FTs is beyond ridiculous. And for people to celebrate the fact that he actually made them both as if it was something heroic.........please.

Comment

I have seen a few missed calls, but to me they didnt do as bad as people try to make it out to be. Yeah, they missed some calls, buy so does every other ref in every other finals

I havent seen one person who is "rolling over", unless they are rolling over *****ing Like I said, these refs missed some calls. It happens every year.

What amazes me is how people who are ignoring the fact that Mark Cuban (who I love but is obnoxious as hell) and the Mavs didnt get the breaks that the Heat did, and it wasnt just Wade. It was the whole heat team. As I saying that is was set up? no. But do I think its a coinsidense? not at all

Thats what we all want. But till we get robots that can ignore Cubans loud mouth and Dirk kicking the bike and kicking the ball into the stands, there will always be a human element.
        From my personal observation, the phantom foul element was absolutely ridiculous. And you'd think that the refs would be on top of it better since it had become such an issue, but it was just as bad in the final game as any of the others. Refs can't really be that blind/stupid...can they? The refs didn't miss calls so much as they just flat-out pulled them out of thin air. Somehow they managed to see, over and over again, what never actually happened. Amazing.

And the reason people are focused so much on Wade is because the calls were so obviously and consistently one-sided that it was ludicrous.

Officiating is bad, yeah, but when it's so obviously bad that three people on the court constantly miss what thousands see from much further away from the action, it does make you step back and think a bit.

Comment

Its all good man. I love having conversation, and part of what makes this place great is that we dont always agree with each other.

I never said I thought people were hating, or anything like that, and I never meant to imply that in any of my posts. I'm just tired of people cutting them down and acting like the refs gave the series to the Heat.

I realize the refs suck/sucked. But at the end of the day, just like with the Lakers/Blazers series (which I honestly think that ref was paid off in game 6, but thats a different story/thread....) the Mavs had a chance to come back and win the series. They just didnt step their games up.

I dont know much about hot sauce, I admit I am not a big street ball fan, but I have watched a few of his tapes just as a sample for one of my business plans in school last year. He may be a better handler, but I dont think hes quicker. But thats all moot. I see your point, but I still dont agree. Wade has that amazing ability to finish in the paint, even when he is fouled/hacked.

And I absolutely DO believe that Stern has a hand in determining which players receive the "stars treatment" and which ones don't.
          Im not sure I agree with that, but its a interesting proposal.

I refuse to see how any knowledgable NBA fan could argue that its integrity is constantly forsaken by obvious "star" traetment that certain players get.
          You and I agree 110% on this one. I actually brought it up to Mr.Boyle in a thread a couple of days ago (maybe weeks?) but I think the star treatment of the NBA has become a joke. It is almost like they care more about the business side then they do about just calling a basketball game. I would love to see them go away from star treatment, and while they claim they are getting away from it, I have yet to see it.

Comment

Its all good man. I love having conversation, and part of what makes this place great is that we dont always agree with each other.

I never said I thought people were hating, or anything like that, and I never meant to imply that in any of my posts. I'm just tired of people cutting them down and acting like the refs gave the series to the Heat.

I realize the refs suck/sucked. But at the end of the day, just like with the Lakers/Blazers series (which I honestly think that ref was paid off in game 6, but thats a different story/thread....) the Mavs had a chance to come back and win the series. They just didnt step their games up.

I dont know much about hot sauce, I admit I am not a big street ball fan, but I have watched a few of his tapes just as a sample for one of my business plans in school last year. He may be a better handler, but I dont think hes quicker. But thats all moot. I see your point, but I still dont agree. Wade has that amazing ability to finish in the paint, even when he is fouled/hacked.

Im not sure I agree with that, but its a interesting proposal.

You and I agree 110% on this one. I actually brought it up to Mr.Boyle in a thread a couple of days ago (maybe weeks?) but I think the star treatment of the NBA has become a joke. It is almost like they care more about the business side then they do about just calling a basketball game. I would love to see them go away from star treatment, and while they claim they are getting away from it, I have yet to see it.
            Nah, it's all good man. I just have trouble seeing how people can watch the same thing I watch and yet see it so differently. I went into Game 6 with a fresh mind, but made a point to watch all of the calls for Wade to see how many of them were legit. The first two fouls never happened. He wasn't even touched. The third foul was a touch foul on his wrist (which didn't affect the shot) as he was falling away from the basket. That wasn't an "attacking the basket" call. The fourth foul, once again, he wasn't touched on. And then, of course, was the worst foul of all, the last one where he elbowed Dirk, and it was obvious to pretty much everyone but the refs. He was legitimately fouled on the other calls, though some were iffy.

I'm just in absolute awe that the NBA can give such obvious preferential treatment to star players for years and years and nothing is done about it. It only gets worse and more obvious every year, and for me anyway, it's ruining the game. I accept that officials miss calls from time to time, but **** like that is ridiculous and unacceptable.

Comment

Nah, it's all good man. I just have trouble seeing how people can watch the same thing I watch and yet see it so differently. I went into Game 6 with a fresh mind, but made a point to watch all of the calls for Wade to see how many of them were legit. The first two fouls never happened. He wasn't even touched. The third foul was a touch foul on his wrist (which didn't affect the shot) as he was falling away from the basket. That wasn't an "attacking the basket" call. The fourth foul, once again, he wasn't touched on. And then, of course, was the worst foul of all, the last one where he elbowed Dirk, and it was obvious to pretty much everyone but the refs.

I'm just in absolute awe that the NBA can give such obvious preferential treatment to star players for years and years and nothing is done about it. It only gets worse and more obvious every year, and for me anyway, it's ruining the game. I accept that officials miss calls from time to time, but **** like that is ridiculous and unacceptable.
              I agree. Or how about the last play of game 6?! Even I called foul on that, and I hate to see a foul end a game.

I agree, and the funny part is Stu or whatever the hell his name is keeps coming out and saying there is no star treatment, and the refs are making changes....blah blah blah.

I have slowly lost interest in the NBA over the years, and I can see where you, and others, are coming from.

Comment

I agree. Or how about the last play of game 6?! Even I called foul on that, and I hate to see a foul end a game.

I agree, and the funny part is Stu or whatever the hell his name is keeps coming out and saying there is no star treatment, and the refs are making changes....blah blah blah.

I have slowly lost interest in the NBA over the years, and I can see where you, and others, are coming from.
                That's all I'm saying. I like Wade, but the calls he gets are slowly starting to make me NOT like him. Because every time he complains about a call from here on out, I'm going to want to smack him, because it would be horribly hypocritical.

The referees are a MAJOR problem in the NBA. And Stern can sit there with his smug smile and deny it all he wants, but he knows it's true.

Comment

Stern has decided the refs are not a problem, and that is the final decision.

Stern is quoted as saying "It was a 1-0 decision"

Comment

Imo, this year, the best example of it was Lebron walking up to 5 steps before hitting the game winner.
                    I'm really sorry because of my english (which is my 3-4 language) and I really appreciate Your patience. I hope this board will make me better

Comment

The officiating wasn't terrible like in the Superbowl, but towards the end of the game you can call a game winning foul over a brush on the arm when they haven't been calling them all night.

Comment

Originally posted by BoomBaby31
                        The officiating wasn't terrible like in the Superbowl, but towards the end of the game you can call a game winning foul over a brush on the arm when they haven't been calling them all night.
                        That is the point Shade was trying to make. They had been calling them all night, just not for allas.

Comment

Working...
                        X