Scot Pollard called the Fever game with Chris and Debbie tonight. I watched it on Tivo, so didn't know until it was too late to tell everyone, but below is the interesting stuff he said:
(on Ebony Hoffman's quickness after losing 20 pounds)
- "I know I'd like to lose 20 pounds and be a lot quicker, but I don't think it'd help."
(Indiana up 25-4, asked about blowing teams out)
- "Unfortunately, the last few years, I've been on the underside of that, on occasion. But we've always managed to battle back, with our defense, and get into games in this Carlisle-run system. I've also been on the other side of that in Sacramento, where we just blow teams out with hot shooting and a lot of layups."
(on Miami winning the title, and Scot being a "Shaq-buster")
- "I don't know about a 'Shaq-buster'. I try and slow him down and I definitely don't back down from him. I do like to see him win a championship, it makes my value go up as a free-agent this summer. (laughter) All the while keeping in mind I do want to be back here in Indiana next year. It was good to see the Miami Heat win, I like it when the conference I'm in win. If they're gonna beat us, I'd rather see them win it all."
(who does Tamika Catchings compare to in the NBA)
- "Well, there's another 91 I know who plays like that, used to play in an Indiana jersey, now it's a Sacramento jersey."
(on Brian Winters making same comparison)
- "Great minds think alike. Of course he was a two-time All Star."
(on team's defense, up 35-8)
- "At shootaround this morning, they had to tell the defense to relax a little, cause they were working so hard this morning, they didn't want to get anybody injured."
(Fever's 12 games in 25 days, how do you deal with little practice time)
- "Well that's part of the pro game. You use shootarounds, you use walkthroughs to get better. That's where the mental preparation comes into play. You have to be ready to focus during shootaround, listen to the coachings staff, the opposing team scouting report, and try and bring that into your game. That's the difference between a good college player and a good NBA player, the NBA players can adjust on the fly."
(on Tan White)
- "Best effort of the night, and also best hairstyle. I've actually worn that hairstyle."
(on Dan Burke in the crowd)
- "There's Dan Burke, wearing a hat, covering up the fact he has not very much hair."
- "Thank you for letting me ruin your broadcast tonight, I appreciate it. I got to crash the party and that's not often that I get to go out here and make a fool of myself in front of other people, so thank you very much. Hopefully this is something I can get better at and maybe do for a career like you all in the future."