Thread: No more Rock & Roll Part 2?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default No more Rock & Roll Part 2?

For those of you who don't know the song, you should probably recognize it after listening to 5 seconds of it. Done by Gary Glitter.
    NFL Asks Teams to Ban Song

Believe it or not, Gary Glitter's conviction on child molestation charges could have consequences for Patriots fans. The former glam rocker is so disgraced that the National Football League is asking teams to refrain from playing his popular anthem ``Rock and Roll Pt. 2" on game day. ``We've communicated to the teams that due to current events we'd like them not to play the song," NFL spokesman Brian McCarthy confirmed yesterday. ``The reaction has been overwhelmingly positive. Teams understand the reason for the request." Glitter, 62, whose given name is Paul Francis Gadd, was sentenced to three years in a Vietnamese prison for committing obscene acts with two underage girls. Pats spokesman Stacey James said the team was considering removing the song even before the league made its request. He added that the Pats are reviewing music options that would give the club a ``unique" identity.
    I was reading this on another forum, and someone pointed out a good point. You can hate an artist, but it doesn't mean you can't like the art. Art is timeless, no matter what the artist does, without art, there is no artist.

In this case, throw the guy away forever, but his art is something that alot of people like (the song in this case), so why destroy something just because the artist is a moron?

Default Re: No more Rock & Roll Part 2?

Noooooo!!! I love that song!
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

First of all, 99% of people don't even know the name of the song, let alone the name of the artist, or that he's in jail. Considering I still hear Michael Jackson music all the time, I don't think there's much to it.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Hmmm, for those that don't know, it is the "Hey!!" song.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    First of all, 99% of people don't even know the name of the song, let alone the name of the artist, or that he's in jail. Considering I still hear Michael Jackson music all the time, I don't think there's much to it.
    The Redskins cant afford to do away with that song. Its the only way we have to tell the other team that "hey, you suck"....

On a more serious note, I understand that the NFL doesnt want to pay this guy any royalties, but that song just fits into NFL games, and I for one like the song.

As for your questions Soup, this is a request directly by the NFL. So the NFL is not effected, at least not yet

Nerd.
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Well, then, you better get rid of all the other songs. I'm sure there is a story to every song/artist out there.

Just the NFL being a Nanny...

The NFL is acting like a corperation acts. I'm sure that a group wrote the NFL about this. I mean do you really think that the NFL office followed oversea's trials or had any idea who wrote the song.

The song first was heard in the promo for Andrew Dice Clays' Ford Farlane (sp).
    "They could turn out to be only innocent mathematicians, I suppose," muttered Woevre's section officer, de Decker.

"'Only.'" Woevre was amused. "Someday you'll explain to me how that's possible. Seeing that, on the face of it, all mathematics leads, doesn't it, sooner or later, to some kind of human suffering."

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

But its okay to sing about the Devil With a Blue Dress?

(Actually, what would it take to get teams to replace the original with an E Streed Band version?)

Or hitting your boss's head like it is a drum?
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Are they aware of the dirty sides of most famous artists? These people aren't all saints; musicians are no different. I agree with the mindset of enjoying the artwork, if not the artist.

Leisure Suit Larry

Quote Originally Posted by Arcadian
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The NFL is acting like a corperation acts. I'm sure that a group wrote the NFL about this. I mean do you really think that the NFL office followed oversea's trials or had any idea who wrote the song.

The song first was heard in the promo for Andrew Dice Clays' Ford Farlane (sp).
    Well it was all over the news. I'm sure they know who it was.

Hmmm? Did Glitter expose his boob at the Super Bowl or something?
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....