Thread: Rudy Gay?

Default Rudy Gay?

Hello. I am new here, and this is my first post. I live in Indianapolis, and have for all 20 years of my life. I am the biggest fan of the Colts and Hoosiers that I know of, but my relationship with the Pacers is a love-hate one. No, I am not a bandwagon jumper. They just really make me mad, especially with the way they have wussed out the last couple of years, minus Reggie's last year.

Anyways, I am curious to see how anyone thinks Rudy Gay would fit in here. To me, Gay has the most potential of anyone in the draft. The kid is 6'8/6'9, can jump out of the gym, and can shoot as well as he can put it on the floor. I think that's exactly what the Pacers need. We have too many guys who aren't factors if they aren't scoring, ie Stephen Jackson, Peja, sometimes Jermaine, etc. What we need are more slashers, playmakers, shotblockers, defenders, and rebounders...a la Detroit Pistons (who I HATE, but still...).

Although I am a proponent of moving Jermaine, I don't believe this year is the year to trade up for the #1. Can anyone really be sold on Adam Morrison or LeMarcus Aldridge? I'm not. It should tell you something when a player like Tyrus Thomas gets a few blocks and rebounds during an incredible Final Four run, and all of a sudden he's the number 1 pick. Still, I think if the Pacers felt that they could move up to the 6-10 spots in the draft, where many mocks have Gay going, I think that could be a good option because its something we could probably do without moving JO. I also like Rodney Carney, the hometown boy, and he could still even be around at 17.

So, anyways, just curious as to what you guys think about Gay. Like I said, I think he has the most potential of any player in the draft, but he may lack the work ethic of a Morrison. I think Gay has only scratched the surface of what he could do. But he could end up being really bad, too.
    This is only my opinion. Please hold it against me.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Rudy Gay?

Well as of now GAY looks to be going 3rd or 4th. And if the Pacers move up they will draft Morrison. GAY isn't even being considered.
    STARBURY

08 and Beyond

First things first... Welcome to Pacers Digest!

Gay looks like he'll be a good NBA player, but he'd be a lot more interesting if we didn't already have Granger. As it is, I'm not very interested in getting a new SF because I think the one we have is going to be great.

Quote Originally Posted by Robertmto
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well as of now GAY looks to be going 3rd or 4th. And if the Pacers move up they will draft Morrison. GAY isn't even being considered.
    I continue to believe Morrison is a smokescreen, and they'll actually go after Roy.

EDIT: I HATE THE MULTIPLE REPLY COMBINER!!! HATE IT HATE IT HATE IT!!!

That is all.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Mood

Well either way I don't think GAY is being considered.

And I love it love it love it
    STARBURY

08 and Beyond

I think Gay could play the 2. I don't think it would be a problem to keep Danny. I love Danny by the way.

I guess the biggest point I was trying to make, besides just seeing what anyone thought of Gay, was that this isn't the year to trade our best player for the top draft pick. Now, having said that, I am not at all opposed to moving JO, but just not for an unproven draft pick. But if we could move up to the top 5 while trading our pick, plus Tinsley/Jackson, or both, I think that would be a good move, but not to get an Aldridge or a Morrison. I think Morrison could play the 2 as well, but he isn't as athletic as Gay. I think I am saying that I think Gay will be the best player to come out of the draft. I love Morrison, and I think he will do well, but he just isn't Larry Bird. And if Bird likes him because he's modeled his game after him (which I'm not saying Bird does think that...just if he does...) then Bird would be making another stupid, selfish front office move (Sarunas).

I think JO is our best player, but ultimately, I don't feel like he is going to be the one to lead us to a championship.

We should package Tinsley or Johnson and our 17 to the Celtics for their 6 pick, according to Chad Ford.

Quote Originally Posted by clemdogg
    We should package Tinsley or Johnson and our 17 to the Celtics for their 6 pick, according to Chad Ford.
    I'd be all for that trade, but Gay is not who I'd use the pick on. Roy, Morrison, Brewer, Foye, and Redick would be higher on my list, and at least half of those players should be available at #6.
    "I'll always be a part of Donnie Walsh."
    -Ron Artest, Denver Post, 12.28.05

That right there is a good deal, well I'd trade Tinsely for a Nestle' Crunch or a Hershey Bar just to get him off our salary lounging out in a suit 3/4th of the season.

I like Morrison but, trading O'neal for the #1 doesn't make any sense, since we are 95% going to resign Peja. Then we'd have NO true bigmen. If Redick isn't injury prone take him at 6, Gay is nice but he is going to go 3rd-4th won't make it to 6th. Also, tyrus thomas talk about a hyped player I haven't saw a hyped player like this in a long time. They keep reguarding him as "shaq like" but he's only 6'9 and 85 lbs lighter. I wouldn't take Thomas at 17th he is to small for the PF position, way to small for the C and is not a 2or3 by any means basically useless in the NBA unless he grows 2in or 3inches before the draft.

Oh and welcome to the Pacers Digest.

to the site.
    "Sometimes, when you look Andy in the eyes, you get a feeling somebody else is driving." -- David Letterman

Minny has the 6 pick. Boston has the 7.

If they'd trade the #7 and Scalabrine for the #17 and AJ, that would be cool. But I don't see any other workable deals.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem
    EDIT: I HATE THE MULTIPLE REPLY COMBINER!!! HATE IT HATE IT HATE IT!!!
    Yup.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

I maybe understand taking Roy before taking Gay, but I just can't understand how anyone thinks Redick is going to do squat in the NBA. Unless this guy learns how to become a PG, what is he going to do in the NBA? He isn't going to be the number 1 option on any team, he isn't going to be coming off numerous screens, he isn't going to have Coach K on the sideline, and he isn't going to have smaller guards on him. Tell me, what is going to do against Kobe or Wade? Squat. I mean, consider Kyle Korver, who is essentially the same player except he's 6'7 - 6'8 and he is a little behind J.J. in shooting, and he is averaging 9 pts/g. And Redick is also a defensive liability, and still would be even if he learned how to play point.

So sorry if I am offending anyone, but it just doesn't make any sense to me. I like JJ a lot - he is probably the best shooter I have ever seen (maybe behind Reggie ) but he just won't cut in the league. Just won't do it.

And also, the Chad Ford deal wasn't proposed by Chad Ford. In his mock draft, he had the Celtics taking Gay at 7 (I mistakenly said 6). He only correctly pointed out that the Celtics really don't need anymore younger players, and would probably use their pick to trade for a solid veteran - most likely filling their void at point. I immediately and obviously thought of our situation.

Again, I am not saying trade JO for the number 1, or for any draft pick for that matter. No. You don't trade our best and only (Harrison?) big. My whole point was if we could get a trade to move up to take Roy or Gay (ie the Boston trade), I would do that...but not at the cost of JO.

I must have missed it, is there any report that a Boston trade is on the table? Or is that made up?

Enjoy your time at PD!

No. Theres a link for Chad Ford's mock draft on this site. He has Boston taking Gay, but says they will probably trade their pick for a veteran or a pg. I just felt like that made sense for us.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

If we trade up in the top 5, I would bet cold hard cash that Roy is who we have our sites set on. Gay is an enigma to me. Great talent, questionable heart, I dunno he looks like Darius Miles 2. Maybe without the drug problems tho.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

A two SF lineup could be interesting in a few years. Gay and Granger and the F spots, JO at C?
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood
    A two SF lineup could be interesting in a few years. Gay and Granger and the F spots, JO at C?
    Vomit.

Enjoy your time at PD!

I don't see what the problem is with puttin Gay at the 2. If there was a way we could get a lineup with a PG, Gay at 2, Granger at 3, JO at 4, and another big body at 5, those are 2 mismatch nightmares in Granger and Gay. And they can both guard, too. But yea, the only thing that questions me about Gay is his heart, which translates into his work ethic.

As to who we are looking at, I can't really speculate on that, so I won't even try. I am just saying my personal opinion, if I was the GM, would be to get gay anyway he became available to me, except at the cost of JO or Granger.

Why is everyone discounting the possibility that Bird is trying to move up to #1 so he can grab Bargnani? A shotblocking C who can stroke the mid-range jumper would be a good player to build around. Also, Bird spent a LOT of time in Europe the last 2 seasons.

Yea he sure has spent a lot of time over there. And I'm not sold at all on his eye for talent. Primoz Brezec? Sarunas? We have a shotblocking C who can stroke the mid-range jumper right now in JO, who has proven he can do it in the NBA, who HAS done it in the NBA. It wouldn't make sense to give him up for Villanueva and the unproven, italian C.

I really, really hope that there's no truth to the JO to Toronto rumor.

Mood

Yea he sure has spent a lot of time over there. And I'm not sold at all on his eye for talent. Primoz Brezec? Sarunas? We have a shotblocking C who can stroke the mid-range jumper right now in JO, who has proven he can do it in the NBA, who HAS done it in the NBA. It wouldn't make sense to give him up for Villanueva and the unproven, italian C.

I really, really hope that there's no truth to the JO to Toronto rumor.
    JO's not a center.

And Bargnani's more of a forward, power and small, also not a center.
    STARBURY

08 and Beyond

Steve McQueen

Rudy Gay has the same birthday as me. That gurantees he'll be a bust.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem

I continue to believe Morrison is a smokescreen, and they'll actually go after Roy.

I believe you may be right. LA wants him also. Can Roy provide that singular
    pressure point like a D Wade??

owl
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

Hall of Famers FrenchConnection's Avatar
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by owl
    I believe you may be right. LA wants him also. Can Roy provide that singular
    pressure point like a D Wade??

owl
    There is no one in this draft that will be as good as Wade. But, I believe that the only star in this draft will be Bargnani. Watch some of the video that they have here http://forums.lakersground.net/viewt...=25061&start=0 and tell me that this kid is not destined for really good things.

BTW, I really like the thread with the video links at Lakers Ground and I would like to thank Dancing Barry for the work.